Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Gen 2, Part 18 - Grunt, Newson-Curious
Back to: Gen 2, Part 17: Nigmos Next: Gen 2, Part 19: College Households Curious, Beaker
Grunt

Buzz Grunt and Lyla Vandermorgan got married right out of college, just as Buzz had planned.

It was a very traditional affair - white dress, black suit, a rose-covered arch, wedding speeches, all the usual.

Buzz even fed Lyla the first slice of wedding cake, which her father thought really amusing.

Also present: Lyla's twin sister Rita Vandermorgan. Buzz did not approve of her formal dress.

And a short while after the wedding, Lyla found herself pregnant with her and Buzz’ first child.

“Everything about my new life is so organized. It’s like there’s a manual on how to live your life and we’re following it religiously.

“We all have our assigned roles to play, and, aside from me, fill them perfectly. Chip, the wise and aging general, instructing the new generation. Buzz, his eager student and planned successor. Missy, the good angel of our household.”

“Having given birth to our son, I think that I am now expected to get instructed by Missy in the ways of childrearing, allowing her to fade into the background and become the sweet elder granny who always has a cookie for the grandkids. Meanwhile, I will perfect my cooking skills, raise our 2.5 children and greet my husband every evening with a smile.”

“I guess I’m exaggerating a bit here. It’s not like anybody is forcing me to play a role I don’t want. They just expect me to fill it, and never seem to notice that I am the absolute worst choice possible. And when I inevitably fail to meet their expectations, the family picks up my tasks without any ill will.

“Any criticism.

“Any notice.”

“I guess I’m just a chaotic person at heart. My life has never been orderly and I never expected it to be. But then I met Buzz and I thought it was amazing how he just expected everything to work out exactly as he had planned it and it did.”

“It was relaxing. Buzz knew what he wanted and had the confidence that he was going to achieve it. Meanwhile, I struggled to even make plans for an evening without throwing everything to the wind.

“I thought it would be wonderful to become more like him. Someone for who life would hold no nasty surprises. Who had not just goals and dreams, but the power to reach them and make them come true.”

“I didn’t realize that with this amount of control over your life, you will also lose all the pleasant surprises. The unforeseen circumstances that make it worth your while.

“I didn’t realize that Buzz never knew what he was missing. And that he will never see the necessity for some time that is not planned out to the last minute.

“I didn’t realize when I married him that I would end up feeling completely smothered.”

Newson-Curious

Just across the street from the Buzz family, Chloe Curious and Gallagher Newson lived a very different lifestyle.

A house painted in several shades of pink, a sauna, a barbecue, a whirlpool, a DJ booth and a bubble blower were placed wherever. Buzz considered it an eyesore.

He especially hated Chloe’s and Gallagher’s habit of throwing huge and noisy parties every weekend.

Lyla on the other hand snuck over as often as she could. She found that her and Chloe had a lot of things in common and they became good friends. Buzz vastly disapproved of this, but this only made Lyla come over more.

Now that's a number of guest appearances. Going left to right we have Garrett Newson (he married Erik Halfdanarsson's daughter), Oliver McGork (Owen's son), Jenny, Pascal, P.T., Jonas Simnitch (Michael's son) and Loki Beaker.

The Newson-Smith parties were here to stay, no matter how much Buzz complained that they were ruining today’s youth.

[IMG]And Hawaii Shirt in the back is Siegfried and Siri's son Soren Halfdanarsson.[/IMG]

Grunt

On one occasion, Lyla met Samuel McGork, an old college flame, at Chloe’s house. Buzz was away on a mission for several weeks and the two of them had some fun together. Buzz would never know, Lyla thought. She was conscious enough that what she was doing was wrong to break things off with Samuel before her husband returned.

Of course, what Lyla hadn’t banked on was another pregnancy.

In the end, she never was quite sure who little Ripp’s father was.

So here's Lyla. I had a few different ideas, for example that her family wasn't very respectable and Buzz didn't want her to stay much in contact with them (see Rita's formal outfit), but in the end I went with the simple fact that Buzz and Lyla are two completely incompatible people. I don't think anybody is really in the wrong here (although Lyla cheating on Buzz certainly puts a good deal of blame on her side), they just don't fit together.

I wondered for a while if Buzz' dislike of aliens can be blamed on Chloe blasting loud music all night, but that might be pushing it.

As for Ripp, obviously Buzz is his real father. But Samuel McGork looks a good deal like Ripp, enough to make this an option for Lyla.

Coming up next: Letters to Jenny

Click Next: Gen 2, Part 19: College Households Curious, Beaker to continue...

Back to: Gen 2, Part 17: Nigmos Next: Gen 2, Part 19: College Households Curious, Beaker

Click here to view comments, or to add your own.