Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Blood Brothers! Chapter 15
Back to: Blood Brothers! Chapter 14 Next: Blood Brothers! Chapter 16

Blood Brothers! Chapter 15

It was just another day at River's Edge schoolhouse. It had been two weeks now, since the Indian childern had come to the "white man's school". Miss Molly O'Shay, the teacher, was pleased at how well all her students had adjusted to one another. It just goes to show you, childern are childern, no matter what their culture.

She was finally able to tell the Indian childern apart, remember their names and had learned a little about their families. Balik Sweeney was the youngest of the four boys and was the son of Waya and Mali Sweeney.

Balik's younger sister, Samir was the youngest girl, as well as the youngest of the group. She was "promised" to Nachik Fisher, which Molly understood to mean that they were to be married when they both became adults.

Nachik Fisher, son of Santosh and Lali Fisher, and . . .

His twin sister, Hala were the oldest of the group. Hala was promised to Shardul Whitefeather.

Shardul was only a few hours younger than the twins. He was the oldest son of Quanah and Marala Whitefeather.

Shardul's younger brother, Chandar was a day or so older than Samir. He wasn't promised to anyone yet, but by the way Samir acted, you would think he was hers.

Ben Cooper, son of Jake and Amanda Cooper lives on a farm, right off the main road.

Ben's sister Sarah is three years his junior.

And David Fletcher, who just started school today, is the youngest son

Horace Fletcher, the oldest son of Tom and Peggy Fletcher, also lives on a farm.

Laura Fletcher is Horace's sister, younger by three years.

And then, there's Charity Ellis . . .

And her faternal twin sister Patience. The girls don't seem to be affected too badly by their mother's accident. Of course, their overprotective father, hasn't told them how serious her injury is.

At afternoon recess, Balik and Nachik played Punch U - Punch Me.

Patience was chatting with Chandar.

Although he looked a little disinterested.

She asked him to play Red Hands, which got his attention.

Especially when he won!

Horace and Balik had only one disagreement today. A big improvement since the first day.

When school ended for the day, the Indian boys and . . .

The Indian girls left to go back to the village.

The other students walked in the opposite direction to go home.

After supper in the fanciest house in River's Edge, (Jack Ellis' father had struck it rich in the California Gold Rush of 1848) Nurse Olivia Warner was reading to Mrs. Ellis. After her patient fell asleep, Olivia also retired for the night. Molly had gone to bed earlier. Mr.Ellis joined his wife in slumber.

Patience and Charity were the only ones still awake in the house.
"Did Chandar notice your new hairstyle?", asked Charity.
"Yes, he said he liked it", said Patience.
"Well, at least he noticed. That's the important thing", said Charity.
"He's not like any of the boys I've ever known before", said Patience, wonder if he even thinks about me once he goes home to his village".
Just then, they heard a tapping at the window and someone calling softly, "Patience, come outside".
Patience got up off the bed and looked out the window. She was surprised to see Chandar staring back at her.

"Chandar's out there. What should I do?", she asked Charity.
"Go out and see what he wants", said Charity, "Be careful, that you don't wake up Father".

Patience went outside. Chandar was sitting in the swing on the backporch and she sit down beside him.

"Why did you come here uninvited and so late?", she asked.

"I was thinking about you and couldn't get to sleep", said Chandar.
"You were thinking about ME", she said, barely able to believe her ears.

"You're so different from the girls at my village", he said.
"Is that good or bad", she asked, joking.

"It's definitely good", he answered.

"Chandar, you better go. We'll be in big trouble, if my father was to wake up and see you", she said.

"Goodbye, Chandar. See you at school tomorrow", she said.

Patience made it back to her bedroom, without waking anyone. Even Charity was sound asleep. .Now that Chandar had taken the first step, she knew there would be no turning back in her relationship with him.

To be continued . . .

Click Next: Blood Brothers! Chapter 16 to continue...

Back to: Blood Brothers! Chapter 14 Next: Blood Brothers! Chapter 16

Click here to view comments, or to add your own.