Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Chapter 3 - A whole new life
Back to: Chapter 2 - I need to get away Next: Chapter 4 (Part 1) - Pity, tears and a new face
She fell asleep on the train and was the only one there. She was awoke by the abrupt halt of the train as they reached Bitville. It was midnight now and she wanted to get to her aunt’s house fast before she'd fall asleep from exhaustion. The town looked better than where they lived before. Before she lived in a small town at the edge where all the crime happened. She hated every minute living there as she would fear every second outside. She walked down the lamplit streets and kept heading wherever she could. The rain was falling down here as well and the wind blew into her, making her cold as ice.

She took the photo from her bag as she arrived at a familiar house. She stared at it and then at the house. It was the one. The living room light was still on, maybe it would be a good idea to knock?

She walked up the steps, her body ached from the beating she got just hours before. She took her final step, putting her hand to the door. She took it lightly away, hesitating. “I’d just be a nuisance,” she whispered, “but I can’t go back. I can’t". So she stood there for a minute. The wind getting wilder and the rain pouring heavier. She couldn’t think of all the stupid questions any longer. So with a slow movement, she finally knocked.

She then thought about what she was doing. She didn’t want to annoy her, didn’t want their first meeting to be in pity. She walked down the steps to get away, quick until she heard the opening of a door and “Can I help you?”

She froze in the spot, slowly blinked and mumbled “er, I don’t know…” the voice that came out sounded nervous and worried. She felt a tear go down her eye. What was she doing? She could get into trouble and for all she knew, she would just send her back. Slowly, the woman walked out of the door and stood there for what felt like an eternity and then said “Wait… Caitlin?”

Caitlin turned around slowly, head down and reluctantly said “yes, it is” but before she could say anything else or go away her aunt said “Caitlin… show me… s-show me your face, please” she uttered. Caitlin lifted her head up slowly and quickly said “I’m sorry, I just need a place to stay but if you don’t want-” but she interrupted her yelling “Oh my God! Caitlin… your face, your arms, your legs. What has that... m-monster done to you!”

She stood there in utter humiliation. Her aunt looked at her, shellshocked. Caitlin didn’t want pity, she just wanted someone to love her and care for her. “I’ll just go, I’m sorry for wasting your time” and she turned around. “No,” her aunt yelled, “I’m not letting you go back to that monster. Come in, please!” Tears rolled down Caitlin’s face as she walked in the house, she felt a huge amount of guilt. Her aunt led her to the living room and offered her a seat. “I’m Julie…” she quietly said. Caitlin sat down and whispered “I’m sorry to be such a nuisance”. “We’ll have none of that. I’ll tend to your wounds and take you to your bedroom. You look like you’re in agony,” she hesitated her next sentence “Was it… your…?” she started. “Yes. Yes. Yes it was.” Caitlin whimpered, “I’ve been living with it so long now but never something this bad, he was out of control”. Julie looked at Caitlin with such pity and sorrow. “I should’ve got you years ago, I’m so sorry”, but Caitlin put on a brave face and smiled at her, “No need to, at least this way I know he’s a heartless… heartless…” and she broke down into tears.

After an hour of comfort and tending of her bruising and cuts, Julie finally took her to her bedroom. She gave a gesture to show her which room it was, “I’m afraid it’s the biggest we’ve got. Sorry.” but as Caitlin walked in she didn’t understand why she was sorry, this was the biggest room she had in years. “It’s beautiful. It’s so big and amazing!” she grabbed Julie and hugged her, “thank you…” and tears swelled up in both their eyes. Caitlin turned around to the wall to find a picture. She turned her head to Julie who smiled and said “Yes, that’s your mother”

Her mother had red hair just like hers and they looked so similar. She finally figured out where all her features came from. She sat on the bed and for an hour picked out every detail of her mother to remember, just as if by chance she’d see her in the streets or coming to her house. As she climbed into the crisp, fresh sheets, she smiled. It was comfortable and warm, she didn’t feel like she just lived in a cold box with barely any money to afford things and the money they did get going on electricity and beer. She lay there for a while, worrying, though. She wondered if her dad would be able to find her and be able to hurt her or get her back, brainwashing others in the process. After about two hours, she finally fell asleep.

Click Next: Chapter 4 (Part 1) - Pity, tears and a new face to continue...

Back to: Chapter 2 - I need to get away Next: Chapter 4 (Part 1) - Pity, tears and a new face

Click here to view comments, or to add your own.