Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Chapter 8 - Starting a Fresh
Back to: Chapter 7 - From bad to worse Next: Chapter 9 - A New Challenge
Days later they had all of Caitlin’s dad’s fingerprints and went out to find him. The insurance was being dealt with and they put the old place up for sale. Caitlin was still hit hard by the fact her dad was closer than she wanted but she didn’t want to let it bother her, so she sorted out a college and was about to go out for the first time in days.

Her mind kept going back and forth, her mind kept repeating all the things from the past week. Her life had changed so rapidly and everything was so different now. She went to a park and sat on the bench for a while, she let the wind rush through her hair, she didn’t care that it was raining, she wanted to just be outside and take her mind off everything.

Suddenly she was brought back to reality with the sound of “Mind if I sit here?”
There was a girl about her age with a plastic bag that was bursting with shopping and her face looked like she had been walking a while so Caitlin said “Yeah, sure” and the girl slumped down in relief. She looked at Caitlin who looked as if she was struggling, “You alright?” the girl asked. Caitlin shot up like “yeah, yeah, just getting away from home for a while”

The girl sat back even more and whispered “Me too, to be honest, my dad’s struggling with the fact my stepmother can’t have children, he’s so snappy” the girl looked at Caitlin, “I’m Jenna,” she said. She put her hand out for Caitlin to shake. Caitlin shook her hand and said “Caitlin, nice to meet you” and they then looked over to the distance, “sorry to hear about your stepmother” Caitlin finally said.

“It’s fine, they’ve been trying for two years, she finally went to the doctors after putting it off and she found out. They were so upset about it. They’re such nice people, they don’t deserve it.”
Caitlin made a little joke to break the ice, “and they say that stepmothers are evil” she laughed. Jenna let out a laugh too and said “She’s the nicest woman I know, she cares so much. She’s like the mother I never had”

“What are you getting out of the house for?” Jenna asked. Caitlin took a deep breath and said “Everything’s a bit messed up at the moment, I don’t even usually live here, a week ago I was with my dad and damn, he was messed up”
Jenna looked concerned, “You alright?” she asked her.
“Yep. I just want him out of my life for good, to suffer for everything he’s done to me”
“Damn, I thought my problems were bad but Jesus, you really are in a bad situation. If you ever need to talk, though, just say. I mean I know we’ve just met, but I’m trustable, and you seem like a really nice girl”
“Thanks, it’d be nice to talk to someone that isn’t related to me. To be honest, the past five years have been hell for me. My dad was abusive and now he’s out to get me. I ran away from home about a week ago and I met my mother for the first time in sixteen years a few days ago, my life is so f***ed up”
“Oh my, I’m so sorry to hear that. I’d never wish anyone to go through that, especially someone who seems so good as you”

As the time went on, the wind was strong still and they were talking and talking, they got on really well and Caitlin finally felt as if she had a friend. They finally realised it was probably time to go home, so they hugged and parted. Before Caitlin went too far she said “You could do with a haircut, fancy meeting me at Troy’s hairdressers tomorrow? Elevenish?” Caitlin was happily surprised that she wanted to see her again, she shyly said “yeah” and they went their separate ways.

She went home that night, she had a weird feeling, almost as if she was being followed, but she kept telling herself that it was her imagination. She got home and told Natalie where she was going the next day. Natalie was happy, she was finally gaining confidence and was making a friend. They both went to bed feeling a little bit better that night. Something just kept knocking at them, though, almost like something was going to happen.

Caitlin met Jenna at the salon the next day and they walked in. “Hey Jenna,” the hairdresser called her “Who’s your friend?” he laughed. “Oh this is Cait, she’s come to have her hair done” and Cait looked at the hairdresser for guidance, he then tapped the hairdresser’s seat and said “hop on and choose a hairstyle” she sat down and then she looked through a hairstyle magazine and saw a hairstyle she really liked. She pointed at it, the hairdresser’s face looking excited and saying “Boy, that’s a lot of hair, are you sure?” and she said “I’m very sure”

After half an hour of snipping, she was a different girl, she looked more mature, she didn’t look so easy to target, she looked like a young woman. She paid her money and walked out, feeling light on her head, due to all that hair not being there anymore.

She walked home and Jenna accompanied her, they laughed and talked the whole way home, but Caitlin still had the sense that someone was there, but she kept telling herself that she was being stupid. They stopped at Caitlin’s house and they said goodbye. Caitlin finally had a friend and she had hair that didn’t feel messy and uncared for. She walked in to find her mother on the sofa with her head in her hands.

“Mum?” Caitlin said quietly, “you alright?” and Natalie shot up and said, “Oh I’m fine jus- oh my god, you look beautiful!” She had a tear swell up in her eye and she walked over and hugged her saying “You look so grown up” and she sniffed in and tried to keep her mind off her other problem.

Click Next: Chapter 9 - A New Challenge to continue...

Back to: Chapter 7 - From bad to worse Next: Chapter 9 - A New Challenge

Click here to view comments, or to add your own.