Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Chapter 15 - Please Wake Up
Back to: Chapter 14 - Whoops Next: Chapter 16 - One High, One Low
James slowly opened the door to Caitlin’s room. Natalie’s head looked up at him, but she looked back down, expecting a mouthful. It was silent for a few seconds, then James whispered “I’m sorry” and she looked up, he breathed deeply, then said “It’s not your fault, I shouldn’t have gone mad at you” she stared at him, confused, she wondered what had done this. He walked over and sat next to her and faced her “It’s just such a shock,” he said to her, “I was just shocked that I’m going to be a father”

They looked at Caitlin, she was still with just her breath keeping them knowing she was alive. Natalie sniffed and scrunched her hair into her fist. “I didn’t want this,” she said, “the day I left her with her poor excuse for a father I was so scared, I was only her age, younger in fact, and I just wanted her to be safe as possible, oh wasn’t I naive, huh?” James fiddled his thumbs and said “You were a child, you weren’t to know” but she quickly said “If he could hurt me, I should have known he could hurt her, or anyone, he doesn’t care for no one but himself” a tear dropped from her eye and onto the jeans she was leaning over, each tear that fell felt so tiresome, she was fed up of crying.

As she got up, he followed and quietly said, “wait…” in which she turned around. He walked over and lifted her chin, and gave her a soft kiss saying “I love you” which is exactly what Natalie needed right now. She let out a breath, a breath that held so many emotions, she grabbed him and hugged him tight. “If she doesn’t wake up, I don’t know what I’ll do”

He kissed her on the cheek and whispered “Want a coffee?” and she nodded, pulling away to sit down again. Now everything was out in the open, life didn’t feel like such a piece of crap. Word was starting to get around that the 31-year-old doctor that everyone loved had a sixteen-year-old daughter in critical condition. As the day went on, people went to James, passing cards of hope and care with flowers, grapes and letters to Natalie saying how much they cared and how she should never have to keep a secret like that because they won’t judge. The community she had moved to was pure, it was a shame she couldn’t let Caitlin grow up here.

With her every waking second in that room, she felt she could go mad, but she wanted to stay just in case that maybe, just maybe her daughter would wake up from her coma. Several times she would close her eyes and doze off but her body’s worry woke her up again and she hadn’t had a proper night’s sleep in days.

James and Julie went in and out and checked on her, bringing her change of clothes, food, drink, just so she could get through the day and survive while her daughter was fighting to do the same. They didn’t know the extent of the damage to Caitlin, for all they knew she might not be able to walk again. Every moment she told herself that she wanted to be in that place instead of Caitlin like any parent would for their child.

James walked back in the next day, quietly closing the door, as Natalie had dozed off yet again. He knew she wanted to stay awake, but he couldn’t let her lose sleep. He knocked the chair in which she moved her head rapidly muttering “huh?” and out came his “sorry” but she rubbed her eyes and said “I needed to be awake anyway, no need to be quiet around me, just wake me instead” he put his hand on her shoulder saying, “You’ve got to sleep or you’re going to start hallucinating or something to that degree”. She just shrugged.

He passed her a sandwich from the local shop (Canteen food from the hospital is so expensive) and she took a nibble out of it every minute or so. He gave her a hug and they looked at the wall, this is how bored they had gotten at this point. “Interesting paint choice, what colour would you call that?” James examined it and hesitated, “err… beige?” she shook her head, “maybe... too orangey to be beige” and he thought again, “orangey beige?” she tilted her head. “I don’t know, hmm, interesting, though.” He looked at her, “yeah, interesting”

Then out of nowhere, all they heard was a struggling whisper of "Mum...?"

Sorry it took so long for this chapter, I'm making a Purple UI Mod that i hope to upload here when it's finished For me there's like 9 files I have to edit, fun hey?

Click Next: Chapter 16 - One High, One Low to continue...

Back to: Chapter 14 - Whoops Next: Chapter 16 - One High, One Low

Click here to view comments, or to add your own.