Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Chapter 16 - One High, One Low
Back to: Chapter 15 - Please Wake Up Next: Chapter 17 - Realisation
As they turned around, Caitlin’s eyes were open and she was coughing and gagging. Natalie screamed for help yelling “She’s awake but you need to get the ventilator out!” in which the doctor got it out of her throat as fast as he could. “What’s wrong with her? Why is she choking?” James asked. The doctor was in no panic and said: “It’s normal, she’s breathing on her own now, quite the miracle!”

As Caitlin’s long sleep came to an end, she was fuzzy. They got out the ventilator, while Caitlin was unaware of where she was or what was happening. As they got it out she took a huge breath of relief but at the same time, panic. Natalie ran over to her while James stayed at the end of the bed. “Cait!” she yelled, “You’re awake, oh thank god I thought you were a goner. I love you so much” and she kissed her on the head.

Through coughs, Caitlin whimpered “Where am I?” and Natalie explained “You’re in hospital, you were in a car accident, but you’re through the worst now, I’m just glad you’re awake” and the doctor uncovered her foot and dragged his finger down it, “Feel that?” he asked her, she nodded, still fuzzy. “I wanna go home,” She said, struggling. Natalie stroked her head and said, “Calm down, you’re alright” Caitlin let out cries, saying “I don’t understand”

Caitlin had tests on her arms and feet to check for paralysis, which luckily were all clear. Caitlin struggled for the first five minutes, still being unable to understand what was going on around her, but as she woke up a bit more, she saw her mother looking at her, saying “You’re in hospital, Cait, don’t worry” and Caitlin looked around, seeing the IV drip which connected to her arm, giving blood. “What…?” she said. “Just some blood, you lost a lot out there”

“My body aches…” she cried. Natalie looked at her and a tear rolled down her cheek. She was so happy that Caitlin was awake and on the mend. “I was just texting Jenna… and… does Jenna know I’m here?” Natalie nodded, “Visited a few times over the past week” and Caitlin had her eyes tear up, “A week?” she asked. Natalie nodded yet again.

“Do you remember what happened, Cait?” she asked her.

“I was… on the phone… and all I remember is texting Jenna this funny picture of a cat with foil on its head and then… then… erm… then… I… don’t remember. All I remember is sitting on a bench” she cried, “Ugh my stomach hurts” and Natalie rushed to her hand, which was reaching for it. “No no no! You’ll knock out the stitches!” and Caitlin dropped her arm, saying “Who would do this, mum?” and Natalie stayed silent until Caitlin’s eyes opened wide and she realised. “No… not… he wouldn’t, would he?” and Natalie wiped her eyes, “I’m sorry,saw” she said, as Caitlin broke down into tears.

Meanwhile, Julie went home to get some more clothes for Natalie. She drove up the driveway to find that the door was open. She looked again to see if she had mistakenly seen something. Her vision wasn’t changing - the door was open.

She walked up to the door and with a slow creak she walked inside, keeping her actions quiet and panicking as the door went SQEEEAAK. Nothing had been taken, nor had anything been moved or ransacked. She straightened out her body and said. “I must’ve left the door open” and she walked to the kitchen to get a quick drink. She couldn’t get the feeling out of her mind that she had locked that door and remembered doing so.

As she sipped the last of her water, she swilled the glass in some water and put it on the draining board. She went to Natalie’s bedroom with a plastic bag from the cupboard saying “5p for a bag, with all the bags I have here I could make a fortune” and she continued to the room and walked inside. Empty. “Stop worrying yourself” she kept saying as she packed some new clothes into the bag, neatly folded. She just couldn’t get the nagging feeling of something being dreadfully wrong out of her head.

She sat on the bed and heard a scuffle.That wasn’t right. She got up and looked around and headed for the door with the plastic bag, but before she got out, she felt something hook to her arm and suddenly, she was flung backwards, with an “Ahhh!” bursting out of her mouth. When she hit the floor she heard a man say “So I hear you’re looking after her” and suddenly with a split second of pain, everything went black.

Click Next: Chapter 17 - Realisation to continue...

Back to: Chapter 15 - Please Wake Up Next: Chapter 17 - Realisation

Click here to view comments, or to add your own.