Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Finale
Back to: The Raven Crowns
Finale

The last band of the night had finished playing. They could hear the shouts and applause of the audience drift backstage and into the Green Room where multiple musicians waited in anticipation. Only one band would win.

Would the winner be the calculating daughter of the Mayor? She had tried so hard to make victory go in her favor. Although, she would need to find a new double bassist if she were to continue forward with her endeavor to bring classical into the rock n' roll world. That wasn’t her only problem; she still had a blackmail issue involving a certain judge.

Would the winner be the spit-fire guitar player with a chip on her shoulder? She had learned to play only to win back a friend she didn’t have anymore. Could this be the one time the world wouldn’t be against her? She had her band back, but could she keep it?

Would the winner be the talented yet anxiety-ridden young man pacing in the corner of the room? He used to have confidence they would win because his band was talented but the unwelcome technical issue during their performance had possibly hurt their chances and now no one was a sure bet. He not only had a bad taste in his mouth now, but also a complicated relationship with his best friend which needed to resolve.

Or would the winners be any of the other young hopefuls wishing to break into the professional music scene?

“Leona,” Illyana said to get the singer’s attention. Leona turned a suspicious eye, not knowing what to expect from Illyana now.

“You did a...a great job,” Illyana managed to smile and give a compliment despite the remaining anger and hurt that Leona’s actions had caused her. It wasn’t worth losing another friend. Leona looked perplexed for a moment as if praise was the last thing in the world she would have received from Illyana.

“Thank you,” Leona did end up returning the smile but it soon transformed into a glower because of what she saw behind Illyana.

“You!” Leona downright growled while marching past Illyana and approached Evelyn Jane Orbinson. It was no coincidence that this was the first time Leona had spotted the Mayor's daughter. Evelyn Jane had seen Leona sing and was dumbfounded at how Leona could make such a quick turn from the Mayor’s Ball to the Battle of Bands, but made sure not to be seen by her the rest of the night. Evelyn Jane’s eyes went wide like a small child whose hand was caught in the cookie jar at the sight of Leona.

“Do you have any idea how embarrassing it is to show up for an event to be told you weren’t on the list?!”

“For what it’s worth I did try!” Evelyn put her hands up, trying to distance herself from Leona and all the looks aimed at them because of Leona’s shouting.

It’s worth nothing! Everyone told me you were a snake and I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but it looks like they were all right about you! You’re despicable! You don’t have enough courage to win on your own merits and instead, have to connive and cheat to bring others down!”

“I…”

“Save your breath,” Leona cut her off in a snarl and turned her back on the floundering girl, restraining the urge to punch her right in her lying little mouth.

Then they heard the announcement that the judges had come to a decision and the room quieted.

“And the winner of the Battle of the Bands is….”

No one even dared breathe.

“The Raven Crowns!”

Illyana froze with shock and it wasn’t until Alarie was nudging her from behind to go on stage, was she able to move, though still in disbelief that they had won!

THEY HAD WON!

Leona, Alarie, and Illyana emerged onto the stage in front of the cheering crowd.

In their excitement, all three of them began to jump up and down. Leona was even doing it in her high heels and the exhilaration of winning must have blocked out all her thoughts of how uncomfortable they were.

“Congratulations, ladies,” the female judge smiled and then proceeded to list off the spoils of their winnings–opening for a real concert, a recording session with Green Diamond Records, a meeting with an industry music agent, and of course the prize of 10,000 simoleons!

It was surreal, and the three girls were over the moon in delight. They had worked hard and had been through many trials and tribulations to get to this point. They. Had. Won.

On the opposite side of the theater, a well-dressed young woman holding a violin case was hastily vacating the building with a glare that could kill any that got in her way. Her way, which was how the competition was supposed to go but didn’t. She was humiliated. She was full of loathing.

“Evie, slow down!” her brother advised.

“No, you hurry up!” she shouted behind her and didn’t change her pace.

She unlocked her convertible and put her violin in the back seat. Starting the ignition, she started backing out of her parking space and Reggie nearly had to run after the car and jump over the door into the passenger seat.

They drove in silence for awhile before Reggie asked, “Why are you always so callous?”

Never in their years had her brother been so forthright to question his sister’s nature. He remembered her to be a very loving girl when they were children but sometime along the way she had become downright ruthless.

“Oh little brother, you have a lot to learn if you are going to be going into politics for this family,” was all she said, and in a tone full of genuine sympathy before she shifted the gear and hit the gas, speeding down the highway skyline back toward Isla Del Kashmire.

Back at the Fame Theater, things were wrapping up. Musicians were packing their instruments and the crowd was clearing out.

The winning band was lingering in the theater lobby, talking to admirers and accepting congratulations.

Nick Hart had his guitar case packed but he didn’t have the heart to go home–to hear his father tell him that playing in a band was a frivolous waste of time. Nick had been so sure of winning that he thought giving up art school would be worth it and now he had nothing. Not even Illyana.

He had heard Leona Hillenburg’s outburst in the Green Groom and something she said had struck him. The part about the Mayor’s daughter having to cheat to bring others down in order to win. He knew his amp had been sabotaged but now he was less sure it was Illyana’s doing. Could it have really been Evelyn Jane?

Either way he had lost Illyana’s friendship, probably for good now, knowing her penchant for holding grudges.

He bid goodbye to Cypress and Orion, and caught sight of her in the entrance. She was talking to some boys, smiling and laughing with them. If he apologized, would she forgive him?

He made his way toward her but stopped right behind her, because he had come to a realization. He didn’t deserve her friendship, not after those horrible things he’d said to her. He, who she had called conceited, immature, and arrogant. Maybe he wasn’t ever going to change, and if that was the case, she was probably better off without him.

With a heavy heart, he adjusted his strap and kept walking toward the exit and she didn’t even notice him pass to remind him that he’d lost their bet.

Outside, Leona and Antoine shared a quiet moment alone where he planted kisses all around her face. Every unspoken admiration and adoration was bursting through his lips onto her skin. It was enough to make a girl weak in the knees. She could safely say that after tonight, she knew she loved Antoine Thackery with her whole heart.

“I need to go home,” she gave Antoine a playful push, interrupting his onslaught of pecks and took off her high heels, which put her a few inches shorter than before. Her feet sang in relief as they felt the cool grass. "My Dad will start to worry if I stay out too late."

“Your Dad is going to kill me. He’ll say I kidnapped you, that I seduced you,” Antoine said, only half-joking and reluctant to stop showing his affections.

“I’ll call myself a cab so you don’t have to deal with him,” Leona didn’t contest it. She would have to tell her father about how she sang at the Battle of the Bands instead of the Mayor’s Ball that night, but she would leave out the parts that involved Antoine.

“It’s probably for the best,” he leaned over and kissed her on the tip of her nose, “I don’t know when we’ll see each other again though, Songbird. I go back to campus Monday.”

A wave of melancholy hit her in the chest and she threw her arms around him and gave him a long embrace, “I love you, thank you for everything.”

He only squeezed her tighter and didn’t say another word.

Orion was still sitting in the Green Room. Nick had already left, and the room was mostly empty now.

“Hey,” Cypress approached and Orion stood, wiping his hands over his jeans. His palms were still kind of sweaty from their performance and his anxiety was still heightened for some reason.

“Hey,” Orion replied. He felt disappointment too. He had thought they would win, and he felt like they would have if those amp settings had been correct and maybe if his stupid nerves would have calmed down.

“Are you going to be okay?”

Orion met his friend’s gaze and wanted to pull Cypress into a hug just to feel a familiar comfort but knew Cypress would probably get weird about it. He had hugged Cypress on many occasions before and it never bugged either of them. He ended up looking away, “I’ll be fine.”

“Listen, I never really got a chance to explain something to you after we listened to music together.”

“Explain what?” Orion arched a brow, bracing for more bad news. He didn’t know if he could keep it together if that was the case. His heart felt like it was going to escape his chest at the rate it was pounding against his rib cage.

“I think…I know you feel something more for me, but I don’t have that kind of attraction toward anyone.”

A tightness began to squeeze Orion’s heart like a vice and he looked at the ground. Was this it then? Cypress was going to stop being friends with him because he felt too much?

“But I love you, dude, and I love being your best friend, so…” Cypress made a move to brush his hair but then realized it wasn’t that long anymore. He clenched his fist and lowered his hand meeting Orion’s surprised stare. "So I’m here for you and I always will be but I can’t be anything more to you than just your best friend. Do you understand?”

A great relief washed over him, and it was almost too much emotion he felt at hearing that Cypress loved him, even if it was purely platonic. He took a deep breath and realized it all made sense. Cypress had never expressed desires to date or any kind of attraction toward anyone. No wonder Orion was so confused when Cypress showed up at the Starboard Lounge with a date. That kind of intimacy wasn’t something he was interested in. Orion was okay with that, as long as Cypress would still be his friend.

Orion gave a slow nod, “I understand, but…”

Cypress raised his brows to encourage Orion to get his thought out as he turned to leave.

“Can I still hug you?”

“Sure man, if it makes you feel better,” Cypress grinned. Orion had always been a very affectionate friend who thrived on physical contact. Cypress continued forth, only to be reeled backward because Orion had ensnared him in a tight hug and buried his face into his shoulder. Cypress made a small laugh because he didn’t think Orion meant to hug him right then.

“Thanks,” Orion exhaled, finally feeling his anxiety simmering down. Alanna was right, he was very lucky to have a friend like Cypress.

THE END.

Author's Note: Thank you for reading and I hoped you enjoyed this story! I'd love to hear your thoughts or at least know who your favorite character was as you read this. I am planning a new story that includes these characters but it will probably be next year before anything is posted. Have a lovely day!

Bonus Pics:
Nick fullfills the term of losing the bet
Alanna has dinner with Schoulsburgs

READ THE SEQUEL
Back to: The Raven Crowns

Click here to view comments, or to add your own.