Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Chapter 19--Family Implosions
Back to: THE LIFE OF LAURA--CHAPTER 18--The Ugly Truth Next: Chapter 20--Help Me
PART I

CASH (aka Cousin Arthur) had arranged for Betsy to be admitted to Serenity Meadows, a treatment center an hour North of Boston outside Nashua, NH. It would be close enough to allow Richard to visit frequently and monitor her care and not leave me and Trevor home alone too long.

The following morning we were driving up there to meet with Cousin Arthur at the facility and supervise everything was acceptable to Doctor Samuel.

“It would be less awkward,” he said shortly, buckling Trevor in his car seat.

I think he meant Betsy would be less likely to act out with both me and Cousin Arthur in tow.

Before heading north, we dropped Trevor off in a wealthy area of Boston called Beacon Hill. Mrs. Samuel, Richard’s mother, and her elder sister occupied the house which had been where he’d spent most of his childhood.

A tall woman in a nurse’s outfit met us as soon as the car reached the top of the gravel drive. She was his mother’s caregiver, explained Doctor Samuel ever since Mrs. Samuel had suffered a stroke two years ago, and still lived in the home to assist both Mrs. Louisa Samuel and Aunt Priscilla.

Doctor Samuel deftly opened the door, then went around and handed Trevor to the nurse along with a baby bag.

“Thank you. Mrs. Briggs,” he said. “Trevor be a good boy and go see Granny and Auntie P.”

Trevor’s blue eyes widened and he stared at me through the car window.

“Laura! Laura! Want Laura,” he whimpered but the nurse turned and walked up to the house and closed the door.

Silently, we made our way back to the highway. I wanted to cry. Poor Trevor was bounced around like a ball from person to person in his short life. For the rest of the trip, I stared outside at the green trees and watched the landscape climb up into mountains littered with pine trees. This was not how I was supposed to spend my summer before college. How long ago high school seemed and my childish, carefree days.

PART 2

“Cousin Arthur says this is one of the best facilities,” said Doctor Samuels as we sat in the lobby waiting for CASH to arrive. He was trying very hard to stay in control of his emotions and I felt a bit strange having heard him crying last night.

"It's beautiful in here, " I replied. "I hope they'll be able to help Betsy get well."

"She has to want to get well," he answered, a sad look crossed his face briefly. We continued to sit in silence until the door opened to the reception room and CASH walked in.

Doctor Samuel jumped up and approached his cousin quickly and shook his hand.

"Thank you, Arthur for everything."

CASH scowled. "This is costing me a lot of money, Richard, again. I do hope you realize that. Not only am I footing the bill for your wife's latest disaster, I'm losing money not tending to business. I really don't have time to be away from Manhattan just now."

"I said thank you, Arthur," replied Doctor Samuel in a strained voice. "I'm sorry, I'll pay you back as soon as I get on an even footing. The house alone--

"Your wife was supposed to start earning to help with that," CASH said. "She's been nothing but a drain. I told you before you married her you were making a mistake. And your boy, where is he?"

"At my mother's."

"He is a perfect example of why you don't marry a drug user, Richard. That boy is not right in the head and you know it. As a medical man you must realize-"

"Arthur, enough!" Doctor Samuel pointed to me over at the sofa.

"Hello, Laura," said CASH, sitting down next to me. "I know you must find this situation distressing. But as a young person you can see what happens if one puts personal gratification and selfish passions ahead of family--the world spins out of control and that person spins with it."

I think he meant Betsy but he was glaring at Richard.

Click Next: Chapter 20--Help Me to continue...

Back to: THE LIFE OF LAURA--CHAPTER 18--The Ugly Truth Next: Chapter 20--Help Me

Click here to view comments, or to add your own.