Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Chapter 20--Help Me
Back to: Chapter 19--Family Implosions Next: Chapter 21--Delusions
Chapter 20

The awkward silence between Doctor Samuel and Mr. Hunt were broken when a woman dressed in a stylish suit emerged from the door marked "PRIVATE" carrying a clipboard.

"Is either of you Mr. Hunt? I'm Mrs. Forbes, the director of the facility. Mrs. Samuel is ready to see you but I have some forms I need filling out."

"I'm Doctor Samuel," said Richard, springing to his feet. "Is my wife all right?"

"Yes, she is on the road to good health, Doctor," replied Mrs. Forbes. "We strive to help patients make a full recovery." She looked down at the clipboard again. "Apart from the paperwork, I do need some sort of remuneration today."

"Yes, yes," said Mr. Hunt in a terse voice, pulling out his checkbook from his jacket pocket. "You do take personal checks, Mrs. Forbes?"

"From you, Mr. Hunt, of course. And as for the matter of confidentiality, that will not be a problem. We pride ourselves on discretion. Although I won't name names, several months ago I had a very famous patient staying here."

She nodded at me. "Is this young lady over 18? We don't allow children here."

"Of course," replied Mr. Hunt shortly. "She's family. Perhaps she can go see Mrs. Samuel while we sort out the details with you?" Hunt took an engraved fountain pen from his other pocket and slowly screwed off the cap. "I might also be willing to make a donation to the facility in exchange for your cooperation in everything."

"Yes, well, that would be lovely," cooed Mrs. Forbes. "Young lady, if you will follow that other door to the Sunshine Wing, you will find Mrs. Samuel in Number 4 Suite."

I stood up and walked where she was pointing. The furnishings were elaborate and plenty of sunshine streamed into the corridor. Betsy's door was ajar and I knocked quietly then entered.

She sat on the bed in silky pajamas, without any makeup and her hair was in a simple ponytail. Her expression scared me. Her face looked dead, blank and lifeless.

"Hello Betsy," I began cautiously. "How are you?"

She turned to look at me. She didn't speak for a long time. I sat in a chair across from her bed.

"Oh, Laura," she finally replied. "I'm so sorry." Her voice was weak and robotic.

"Betsy, you don't have to apologize to me. But why did you lie to me about everything? Doctor Samuel told me you took a bad drug and overdosed-"

She cut me off with a slow wave of her hand. "He lies, he's lying!" she insisted with great effort. "Now he and that stupid Arthur have me locked up here."

She shifted a bit and said, "They have me drugged to be calm. Laura, it's a plot--you have to help me. They want to take my child away and keep me locked up forever. Believe me, you have to get a message to John and help me."

"

Click Next: Chapter 21--Delusions to continue...

Back to: Chapter 19--Family Implosions Next: Chapter 21--Delusions

Click here to view comments, or to add your own.