Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Tranquilicis
Back to: Nest Of Vipers Next: Starting Over
Chapter 2: Tranquilicis

Orion Loche had been awake for nearly 24 hours. His midterm started in five. His roommate and best friend, Cypress Wellington had started to get worried—every so often knocking on Orion's bedroom door and offering to bring food. All Orion requested was silence so that he could continue to study in peace.

He'd already poured over all the books and notes to his course and highlighted all relevant paragraphs, but then to his horror when he took a pause to review, his entire book was highlighted in yellow. He brought his knees up and opened a spiral notebook to transfer only the super important relevant information that would be on his midterm to differentiate it from the blocks of the highlighted text in his books. It didn't help that the midterm test fanned the flames of his anxiety to a near-crippling level. He knew if he slept now he wouldn't have the will to wake up and then probably sleep through the test!

Cypress was reading quietly in the living room when he heard a loud bang on the front door. He jumped up to tell whoever had caused it to bugger off. He hated all the random campus rabble that came and went at all hours mascots, rival mascots, cheerleaders, the SSU gym coaches—they were entirely grating and unwanted.

But he found something worse was on his doorstep.

He couldn't exactly put his finger on why Cain Nova was the literal worst, there were too many reasons. At the moment, he could think of a few; Cain had a serpentine smile, and an ego to rival Nicholas Hart. Though, while Nick's confidence was somewhat endearing and clueless, Cain and no substance or filter whatsoever. There he stood with his hands on his waist, grinning all self-assured and assuming Cypress would welcome him in like they were old friends.

"Is Orion around?" Cain asked when Cypress reluctantly pulled the front door open.

"He's studying and doesn't want to be disturbed," Cypress frowned and said in a tone that clearly told Cain he was not wanted there. He hadn't seen Cain for weeks and thought the guy had gone for good. Obviously, he'd thought wrong.

"I have a present for him, trust me he'll love it," Cain smiled and didn't pay mind to how Cypress nearly blocked the entryway and quickly elbowed through, slightly shoving him back to make room to squeeze by.

Cypress had about as much trust in Cain as he would have trust in a snake not to bite him.

It was obvious that Orion carried an...intense liking...toward Cain. They had met in class at Sim State University during their sophomore year and found a common interest in music. Music was Orion's weakness. He was usually quite reserved around people, but the music made him open up and talk to anyone who would listen. Cypress only barely put up with Cain because on most days, he made Orion happy.

He watched Cain climb the stairs to the second story where their rooms were, still wearing a suspicious frown.

Orion took a moment to yawn. When he looked at his notes, they blurred together slightly. He had been studying for hours but still felt like he was going to fail.

Suddenly the door to his room swung open and Cain Nova walked in with a smile that couldn't even calm Orion's nerves in this state. He was surprised to even see Cain—what had it been—three weeks now since he last had contact? Orion didn't like to ask questions since he didn't want to come off as clingy, besides he had more to worry about with an impending test.

When Cain realized his usual charms were having no effect he sidled up against the back of Orion's chair and leaned over his shoulder, "Studying hard I heard."

Orion set his notebook down and uncurled his legs, grimacing at how one had fallen asleep because he was sitting on it so long. He slumped over with his head in his hand to rub his eye, "I haven't slept in twenty-four hours, and I can t stop thinking about all the ways I could still fail this test."

Cain gave him a sympathetic pat on the back, "I know you get this way around big tests so I brought you something."

Orion lifted his head and gave Cain a small, grateful, smile, "You're too kind. What is it?"

"First get up and stretch your legs, you deserve that much," Cain indicated and backed away allowing Orion room to move. Orion stood and pulled his arm over his chest while simultaneously lifting himself on his tip-toes to stretch his calves though one still had the distinctive tingle of having fallen asleep.

Cain procured a small orange bottle out of his pocket and held it out. Orion took a look at it and his eyes became wide, "What's that?"

"Tranquilicis," Cain smiled and shook the bottle so they could hear the rattle of pills inside, "It's the best drug on the market to treat anxiety."

"Don't you need a prescription to get that?"

Cain shrugged, "Yeah but that's so addicts don't get a hold of them. They are fine if taken in moderation. Here—" he grabbed Orion's hand, popped open the lid, and jounced two pills out of it, and into his palm.

Orion looked at them with hesitation. He'd never taken any kind of medication for his anxiety before. It didn't get this extreme but on rare occasions.

"Do you trust me?" Cain asked, stepping closer and taking Orion's other hand in his.

Unlike his best friend, Orion did trust Cain.

He tossed the pills into his mouth and threw his head back to swallow them dry. Hopefully, they would work. Cain pulled Orion closer and kissed him and even though Orion knew he still had to study he was grateful for the distraction. He had missed Cain more than he would admit.

Cain maneuvered them toward the bed and pushed Orion on his back before sitting on the edge, leaning over and continuing where he left off. Orion reached out and set the bottle of pills on his nightstand, feeling his nerves start to unwind into a very delightful and peaceful calm.

Then they heard the noisy clatter and crashes from below.

Cypress had been as quiet as a mouse for Orion the past 24 hours. He didn't even microwave a flipping bowl of ramen on the account of the noise it could have made and distracted Orion's studying. Well, he figured that if Orion was going to start entertaining Cain now, then the time for peace and quiet was at an end. So he started up his own racket by beating the floor tom of his trap set and kept smashing the cymbals over and over.

Click Next: Starting Over to continue...

Back to: Nest Of Vipers Next: Starting Over

Click here to view comments, or to add your own.