Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
A Pleasant Story - Chapter Six - Kaylynn's Visitor
Back to: A Pleasant Story - Chapter Five - Cassandra's Heart Next: A Pleasant Story - Chapter Seven - Too Hot to Handle? Part I

A Pleasant Story

Chapter Six

Kaylynn's Visitor

Kaylynn ran from Daniel and Mary-Sue's house after she heard Daniel describing her as "the maid" and protesting to his wife that he only wanted to stay married to her. She jumped in her maid service van and drove though Pleasantview, trying to stay focused on the road through her tears.

When she got home to her little shack on the outskirts of town, she flopped down on her bed and thought about Daniel and his lies to her. She'd thought he loved her and that he'd been the victim of a cold woman in his marriage, but after seeing how Mary-Sue responded to catching them in bed together, she knew Daniel was nothing but a liar.

Kaylynn had moved to Pleasantview about a month ago after having to drop out of college because she couldn't afford to continue her studies. She could have returned home to her mother, but living with a drunk narcissistic woman who ignored her most of the time, and screamed at her the rest of the time, hadn't been appealing. She'd never known her father, and she had no other family, so her options had been limited.

She'd scraped together every penny she could by selling almost all her possessions, and found a tiny shack to rent in Pleasantview. The name had made her think it might be a place with good opportunities and nice people.

Her shack was unfinished, had limited indoor plumbing, and the utilities were primitive at best. But it was a roof over her head, and she could afford it on her paltry maid's salary. Even if she did have to shower with the trees.

She didn't love being a maid, but it least it meant she was excellent at cooking and cleaning. She fixed herself a nice plate of salmon and thought about the events that had brought her to this sad state--eating alone in a drafty hut.

When she'd first landed in Pleasantview, the only job she could find was as a maid. And unfortunately, that meant that all she had to wear was her maid's uniform. She didn't like it, but the only other thing she had to wear was a ratty track suit since she had sold all her clothes to be able to afford to move to Pleasantview.

Shortly after she'd arrived, she went out into the town to try and meet some people and perhaps even make some friends. She consulted the Pleasantview Neighborhood Directory and went to the Pleasantview Community Center, hoping it would be a nice place to introduce herself to the townsfolk.

Somehow she just didn't have any luck with approaching people. Perhaps it was because she was so shy and simply didn't have much practice at starting successful conversations, but everyone she tried to talk to had a negative reaction to her.

She'd tried to introduce herself to a young woman who had just climbed out of the pool, but the woman just stared at her with a stony expression.

Another woman had angrily asked, “Are you a member here?” before she simply walked away.

Kaylynn hadn't realized it was a membership-only club, so she went to ask the attendant about how to join. The clerk had seem surprised by Kaylynn's question and asked, “Aren't you here to clean the locker rooms?”

Kaylynn had told her that she was interested in joining and wanted to inquire about the cost, but explained that she couldn't afford too much.

The girl had turned away and muttered, “If you have to worry about how much it costs, I'm sure you can't afford it.”

Discouraged, Kaylynn had exited the building and began to walk back to the road. Suddenly a man approached her and began speaking rapidly. “Well hello there, dear! I am delighted to meet you!”

Kaylynn thought he looked a little odd, but since he was the first person to be kind to her, she attempted to introduce herself. Before she could say a word, however, the stranger continued, “I can tell you are a discriminating and intelligent person and I'd like to tell you about the amazing opportunities we have here in Pleasantview! Just look around and see all the potential here. Look!”

Kaylynn felt uncomfortable with his attentions and ended the conversaiton as quickly as she could. When she had finally gotten outside the Community center to the sidewalk she'd realized that her few simoleons were gone!

“Oh no! I only have a few left at home!”

She'd called the police to report the robbery, but the officer who'd arrived to take her report had seemed amused more than anything.

“Well, it happens to everyone in Pleasantview sooner or later. If you don't want to be robbed, maybe you shouldn't go places you don't belong!”

The officer had then made a disgusted expression and covered her face with her hand, as though she smelled something bad.

Kaylynn didn't think she smelled bad, but she knew when she wasn't wanted. She'd gone home feeling defeated.

Discouraged by her failure to make friends, she'd given up on it and just focused on her work. And then one day she was sent to clean at Don Lothario's house. From the moment she walked through his door, he charmed her and flattered her and was very "kind." She'd been so lonely he had actually talked her into woohoo, in public! Twice!

She'd invited Don over for dinner one night and although she'd spent too many of her precious simoleons so she could make him a lovely turkey dinner, it had been clear to her that he was shocked by the place where she lived, and was only interested in her for one reason.

When Don had left her that night, the last time she saw him, she could tell he was disgusted by her home and probably disgusted by her, too. He was relieved to make his escape and had never contacted her since.

In the two weeks that followed since she'd last seen him, she'd overheard people talking about his fiance, Cassandra Goth. She'd also heard rumors that he was seeing two sisters who lived next door to him.

Kaylynn finished her meal and stood up shaking her head. To think that she had once dreamed of marrying him! The autumn chill was seeping into the cabin and she moved closer to the makeshift fireplace to warm herself.

Her musings were interrupted by the phone--it was the maid service office. She'd been fired! In her fluster over what had happened with Daniel, she'd taken the van home and forgotten to return it. She tried to protest.

"I'm so sorry! I just forgot! I can bring it back right now!"

"You'll bring it back right now all right, or we'll be reporting the van to the police as stolen. You've broken our rule of using the van for personal driving, and we have a one-strike policy," said her boss.

Kaylynn hung up the phone sadly and drove the van back to the maid service office. She dragged her feet on the walk home. She wasn't sure she wanted to stay in Pleasantview now, but she didn't really have enough simoleons to leave.

"Well," she declared, straightening her shoulders. "No whining, and that's that then! I need to get a new job, and I'll save simoleons until I can leave and find a new place to be my home!"

When she got back to her shack, she immediately started looking through the paper to see what jobs were available.

There was nothing she was even remotely qualified for.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door and she opened it to find Don Lothario.

"What do you want?" she asked him abruptly.

"Oh, baby, I've missed you," he began, but Kaylynn cut him off.

"I don't believe that for a minute. I haven't seen you for weeks. I think you just came by for a woohoo call!"

Don tried to look innocent and protested, "Oh no, Nin. . . I mean Kaylynn! I just wanted to see you!"

Kaylynn recoiled from him.

"You can't even keep straight who you're trying to seduce! Why don't you go cry to your fiance?"

Don looked shocked as Kaylynn continued.

"Oh yes, I know about Cassandra. Somehow it doesn't surprise me that you'd hook up with the richest girl in town. Get lost. You won't find what you're looking for here."

Kaylynn actually felt nauseated while she was looking at him.

Don left after a few more half-hearted protests, but she had no trouble sending him away. Her feelings for him had fizzled and she felt nothing more than pity.

Suddenly she was exhausted. It had been a long day. She climbed into her uncomfortable bed and made a resolution that tomorrow she'd renew her job search. She was a strong person, and she wasn't going to lose her grit.

Kaylynn woke the next morning feeling rested but very very hungry. As she moved toward the stove to make some breakfast she felt a strange rumbling in her stomach and with a sudden "bloop," she was pregnant!

"Oh no," she thought. "What am I going to do now? I can't get a job while I'm pregnant, and I am NOT going to subject a baby to my toxic mother. Maybe I could. . . ?" Her thoughts trailed off. She didn't know WHAT she was going to do.

She ate some breakfast and then laid down outside to comfort her aching muscles.

She was carrying Daniel's child! What a mess!

"Well baby," she said to her stomach, "No matter what, I am going to protect you! This may not be the best home, but at least the roof doesn't leak."

Being pregnant had made her tired and she fell asleep under the trees.

She was awakened by the sudden arrival of her landlord, Samael Abbadon.

He didn't waste any time on pleasantries, and immediately spoke, "I'm here to evict you. We won't, I mean, I won't, have any of your kind living in our, I mean, my, houses."

"My kind?" Kaylynn was confused. "What exactly is MY kind?"

Samael looked at her in disgust. "Girls who get themselves knocked up without a husband, that's what kind. We, I mean, I, don't put up with that kind of trash."

Kaylynn didn't want to beg, but she couldn't help herself.

"Please, Mr. Abbadon, don't kick me out. I don't have anywhere else to go and I'm going to have a baby!"

Samael turned from her as his cell phone rang and he picked up.

"Yeah? Yeah, I'm there now. Yeah, no problem. Okay. Yeah, she's no use in this condition."

He hung up and turned back to her.

"I'm coming back in an hour to lock the door. You'd better get your stuff out if you're gonna."

Kaylynn could only look at him in stunned silence.

As Samael left, Kaylynn was overcome with fear and anger. How could this have happened? Where could she go?

She dried her eyes and took a deep breath. She knew one place she might be able to go. Maybe he had a little bit of a heart? She packed her few belongings in her suitcase and headed into town.

She paused at the doorstep, not wanting to knock. Finally she thought of her baby and that gave her courage. She tapped on Don Lothario's door.

When the door opened, it was Nina Caliente who answered it! She introduced herself and asked if she could speak to Don alone.

Before Nina could respond, Don came outside and started sputtering as he noticed her pregnant stomach.

"That's not MY baby! We haven't had, we haven't been, I mean, it's been weeks! That baby was started yesterday! Why are you here?"

He didn't give her a chance to answer as he turned to Nina.

"Nina! Don't believe anything this kid says! That's not my baby! She'd lie to get whatever she wanted"

Kaylynn lost her temper at that. She might be weak, she might trust the wrong men, she might fall in love too easily--one thing she did not do was lie.

Kaylynn smacked him and then left the house without a backward look. Don had shown her beyond a doubt what kind of person he was. She'd thought he might have taken pity on her and helped her out if she explained she'd been evicted, but it was clear he cared for no one but himself. She'd need to find help elsewhere.

She stopped at the edge of the street while she considered where she could go now.

"Oh no," she thought, "not that. But what choice do I have?"

Click Next: A Pleasant Story - Chapter Seven - Too Hot to Handle? Part I to continue...

Back to: A Pleasant Story - Chapter Five - Cassandra's Heart Next: A Pleasant Story - Chapter Seven - Too Hot to Handle? Part I

Click here to view comments, or to add your own.