Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
A Pleasant Story - Chapter Seven - Too Hot to Handle? Part I
Back to: A Pleasant Story - Chapter Six - Kaylynn's Visitor Next: A Pleasant Story - Chapter Seven - Too Hot to Handle? Part II

A Pleasant Story

Chapter Seven

Too Hot to Handle?

Part I

Dina Caliente made her way home after the unpleasant encounter with Don Lothario at Cassandra's house, and made her way up the walkway to be frightened by the ghost of her husband, Michael Bachelor, jumping out of the bushes.

"Dammit Michael! Why do you do that! You're going to give me a heart attack sometime!"

The ghost of Michael did not respond. Dina copied his scare pose and yelled after him as he floated away.

"Fine! I scare you right back!"

She shook her head and went inside. She didn't really understand why Michael seemed to enjoy scaring her so much. She'd been a devoted wife to him through the good times, and even through the bad times when he got sick and she took care of him until he died.

She supposed he might have found out about that one kiss she'd shared with Don Lothario; she wished she could explain to Michael that she'd been scared and lonely watching him dying, and that she regretted ever letting that smooth-talker into her life.

Michael didn't listen when she spoke to him though; being a ghost seemed to have turned off his cognitive functions. He never haunted her sister Nina though, she'd noticed.

She received proof of that as she entered the house and headed for the kitchen to grab a bite--Michael was peacefully floating past Nina as she was putting her mechanical textbook away.

Nina hadn't even noticed him and called out, "Hey twin," and followed Dina into the kitchen. "I heard you yell. Is Michael up to his tricks again?"

Dina confirmed this.

Nina continued, "Don't you think it's time to move the urn to a cemetery? It's gotten a bit embarrassing when guests come over. He scared Don Lothario so much the other night he wet himself!"

Dina replied, "I'm not really ready to say goodbye to him yet. He's never scared me all that badly; it seems like he still just wants to interact with me.

"But speaking of Don Lothario, I just saw him over at Cassandra's and, I hate to tell you this, but they're engaged. Or rather, they were engaged--I heard her break up with him. I didn't know if you knew he's been cheating."

Nina seemed unphased. "Yeah, I knew about it. I was kind of hoping that would work out--think of the presents he could afford to buy me if he got married to HER!"

Dina looked at her laughing sister and shook her head. She sure never seemed to be bothered by much of anything!

Nina then asked her, "But why were you over at Cassandra's with him? I thought you were done with him?"

Dina nodded in agreement. "Yes, I'd told him I didn't want to see him again, but then Cassandra called and invited him over and he asked me to go with him. I said yes because I was hoping to see Mortimer, but after I heard he was engaged to Cassandra I got so mad I just slapped him and left."

She went on, "And I really am sorry about having a crush on him. I hope you've forgiven me."

Nina reassured her sister, "It was one kiss! And your husband was dying! Who could blame you for getting caught up with his charm?"

"Besides," Nina went on, "There's only one thing I want from Don Lothario!"

Dina chortled at her sister's good humor. It seemed nothing got her down.

Nina suddenly jumped and told her, "But guess what else I heard? A few weeks ago Don was running around with the new maid in town, Kaylynn. She can't be more than 18. I feel sorry for the poor kid. I haven't met her yet, but I've seen her in the neighborhood. Have you met her?"

Dina shook her head. "No, I don't think so. What does she look like?"

As Nina described her, Dina nodded knowingly. "She sure sounds like Don's type! I hope she's okay. Maybe I'll try to introduce myself if I see her. I'll bet she could use a friend."

Nina then asked her, "So how are things going with Mortimer? I heard you guys getting pretty cozy the other day!"

Dina replied, "He's still pretty sad about Bella getting abducted by aliens. I was glad Michael was too far gone to understand what had happened to his sister by then. But we're getting along great--I really love him." She smiled shyly at her twin who, she suspected, would never have to worry about pangs of heartbreak.

Nina cheered, "Whoot! That's so great! Oh, and guess what else? I got a new job as a gas station attendant! I am on my way as a super-slacker! That's why I was studying mechanics--I need to build my skill there to get promoted."

Dina exclaimed, "That's great! And maybe you could help out with the bills more then? Michael's inheritance is nearly gone. Okay?

"Well, I'm tired. 'Night sis."

She kissed Nina goodnight and headed into the living room. She walked over to Michael's urn and spoke to him softly.

"I miss you so much. But I really do love Mortimer now. I hope you can be happy for me."

Dina knew that none of the people of Pleasantview would ever believe she hadn't married Michael for his simoleons. She knew what she looked like, and she knew what people thought of her. And she knew they thought she had a desire to marry a rich sim. But if they could see inside her heart, they'd see a truly nice person who had a passion for nature and had deeply loved her husband. And now she deeply loved Mortimer. She might want to marry a rich sim, but not any rich sim would do--only Mortimer.

She wiped her eyes and headed up to bed.

The next morning, she was delighted to see Mortimer coming up her walk. She ran outside to greet him.

He was a little stunned by her exuberance, but rallied quickly. He couldn't believe his good fortune in having loved two beautiful women in his life. He hoped he was right about Dina; she seemed to truly love him, but when you were the wealthiest man in town, you needed to be careful.

He smiled at her lovingly as she excitedly began telling him the latest news since he'd last seen her--about Nina's new job, and the burglar who'd stolen their hot tub, and that she had heard about Cassandra's broken engagement.

Then she took his hand and, with a wink, asked if he'd like to accompany her upstairs. He followed her happily and settled in comfortably on her bed. She was prattling excitedly about a program she'd seen about outer space, and he winced a bit.

"I'm sorry darling--could we talk about something else? Thinking of space always reminds me of Bella and how she disappeared."

Dina apologized quickly. "I'm so sorry! I didn't even think. What would you like to talk about, sweetie?"

Mortimer cleared his throat a bit and said hesitantly, "Darling, this is a delicate topic, but you know I have a lot of simoleons, and if we should move forward in our relationship, then it's something we should. . . "

He stopped as Dina interrupted him. "Mortimer, I want to tell you something right now. If we should ever get. . . I mean, if our relationship does develop. . . I wouldn't ever want you to think that it was because of your simoleons. If you ever did decide to ask me . . . well, I want you to know that I would want to sign a pre-nuptial agreement. I love you for you, honey, not because of your wealth. Of course, I won't lie--simoleons are nice and all, and I don't have a lot of them, but I love you rich or poor."

Mortimer stroked her cheek gently and pulled her close to him.

"I knew that's what you'd say. I wish more people knew what you were really like."

"So," he continued, "Do you feel like a little woohoo?"

Dina's answer was not in words.

When she was rested, she slipped downstairs to talk to Michael again.

"He really makes me happy, honey--I hope you can understand. And I wish you'd stop scaring me!"

Her voice woke Mortimer, who came downstairs to see if she was okay. Although he was thinking of other things, too.

He took her hand and hugged her. "Well," he said, "that was a delightful morning. I have to go take care of some things, but are you free for dinner tonight? I'd like to take you out to Restaurant Le Plus Cher."

He named the most expensive and fancy restaurant in Pleasantview.

Dina squealed, "Oh, that sounds wonderful!" She kissed him goodbye happily. "I'll see you tonight!"

Mortimer spun into his clothes and left after blowing a kiss to Dina.

Dina was hugging herself in anticipation when she was suddenly interrupted by a squeal from upstairs.

"Nina!" she called, "Are you okay?"

~Continued in Part II~

Click Next: A Pleasant Story - Chapter Seven - Too Hot to Handle? Part II to continue...

Back to: A Pleasant Story - Chapter Six - Kaylynn's Visitor Next: A Pleasant Story - Chapter Seven - Too Hot to Handle? Part II

Click here to view comments, or to add your own.