Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Elaine's Story: Part 2 (Pre-Teen Angst) Update 9/8/12
1 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Next: Chapter 2
*This story is a sequel to Elaine's Story: Part 1 (In the Beginning...)

Changes

‘Miss Lanie, your breakfast is getting cold.’ Jane the maid, yelled up the stairs.
‘Just a minute!’ I snapped irritated.
‘No more minutes. Your Uncle said for you to come down now!’
Errr!

It’s been two years since we last spoke. A lot has changed since then.
Our old maid, NanSing quit last year. She got married and is expecting a baby. We are still as close as sisters and have kept in touch. Uncle Remington and I threw her a baby shower last week.
Uncle Remington is still the same as you may remember him.
He claims that you never know only one pregnant woman. His theory is that women always get pregnant in packs. Both of his female staff members are expecting, as well as several of his models.
‘I’m surrounded by all these hormonal women about to pop!’ My Uncle dramatically declared at dinner last night. ‘It’s murder! I’ll be glad when this baby boom is over and things return to normal!’

I glanced at a pretty pink card on my night stand.
My old friend Helen sent me a birthday card. In it she told me that her sister-in-law Shelly was also going to have a baby. It would be her second.
Sadly, I didn’t get to see Helen or any of her family as much as I used too.

Ignoring, the shrill voiced Jane, I continued to do what I was doing before she so rudely interrupted me. I was applying make up. Since I was now in the double digits, I thought it was high time.
I still had all my Barbies and wasn’t quite ready to give them up entirely. Now days I call myself a collector.
My new passion and that of my friends in my little group known as the Wall Girls, was now fashion.
We poured over every teen magazine we could get our hands on. We were obsessed with hair, make-up, and the latest style trends.
All my friends thought it was too cool that Remington Mansfield was my Uncle. He is the top fashion designer in SimCity and really very famous.
When my parents were killed in a car accident, my Uncle become my guardian. You may remember that he legally adopted me a little later on.
Uncle Remington is the best father a girl can have, except maybe for the man that raised me the first seven years of my life....you may also remember that after eavesdropping on a conversation, I learned that Daddy wasn’t my real father at all!
I suspected that my mother’s former husband, Dex Newman, was my true father. He’s a real slimebag. I haven’t forgotten that I vowed to get revenge on him. It was because of Newman that our family unit almost crumpled a couple of years ago.
It was also the reason why Helen and I now only communicate with the occasional card or letter.
However; I don’t want to think about any of that right now.

All my friends had mothers to steal-er borrow make up from. There were no other females in my household. Both Jane and Mrs. Hammond the cook went to their own homes every night.
My best friend Wendy was thoughtful enough to sneak a little extra for both of us. Wendy’s mother is an actress and had tons of it lying around everywhere. She claimed her mother would never miss it.
We made a pact that today we would all wear make up.
We would show our rivals ‘The Swingers’ that we could look better and even more sophisticated than they thought they were.
We got the idea when we over heard the ring leader of the group, Tiffany VanSwearingen, lament to her little followers, that her mother wouldn’t allow her to wear make up to school.
We would show them that we could, but thought it better to eliminate the possibility of our parental units saying no, by not asking in the first place.
I guess I should mention that my teacher, Mrs. Evans (The former Miss Fonce) is also expecting.

Wow!
I wasn’t quite sure what to think.
The make up was certainly fun to put on, but it did feel and look a bit like a mask.
Maybe this is something I'd have to adjust too, like the taste of coffee. My first mocha latte didn’t taste as good as I thought it would. Now I drink them all the time.
Perhaps, I just had to wear this stuff on my face all day before I finally felt grown up.
I bet you've noticed that I no longer wear my hair in the curly little ponytail.
Peer pressure and the fact that it had grown so long caused me to explore other style options.
My hair has also darkened to brown since I’ve gotten older.
Uncle Remington told me that both he and my mother started out as blondes too. Their hair also darkened over time.
When I become an adult, I would dye my hair like Mommy did.
In the mean time, I fixed my hair the way Helen was currently wearing hers.

My friends are envious that I actually know Helen Harper personally.
Helen was ‘Midget the Surfer Girl’ when you last saw her, now she’s an international film star.
Helen’s won tons of prestigious awards for her acting ability. That's another reason why I don't get to see her any more. She's so busy going from one film to the next it's hard keeping up with her.
You also had to get past Dex Newman and Helen’s husband, Reginald to even speak to Helen now.

'Elaine Marie!'
Uh-Oh! That’s Uncle Remington.
I can put Jane off all morning, but as you well know, Uncle Remington isn’t one to trifle with.
My cat Belle stopped sharpening her claws on the sofa and followed me downstairs.
She’s still my little shadow.

I’m also pleased to inform you, that my Uncle never had Belle declawed when we got her spayed.
Though she made him sneeze, he was afraid Belle wouldn’t be able to defend herself if she should get lost.
He won't admit it, but he loves Belle just as much as I do.

Coming Next: Uncle Remington's reaction to Lanie's new look.

Click Next: Chapter 2 to continue...

Next: Chapter 2

Click here to view comments, or to add your own.