Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Adelaide
2 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Next: Chapter 1: Mr. Mole
Note: hi guys, this is my first story here. I just wanted to say that a lot of the stories I read on here are so great, and just like a lot of others, I've been inspired to start my own. For the prologue chapter, I just wanted to apologize that the pictures arent larger, I accidently shot them in medium mode without realizing. Bear with me as this will change in the following chapters. Thanks so much in advance for reading - comments are always welcome =D

Prologue

I couldnt stop staring at the pink house. It was just hideous, quite an eyesore, actually. I dont know how long I've been standing in front of it, but I was pretty sure that the taxi that had dropped off my dog, Princess Peach, and I, had probably reached the next town.

She couldnt be serious, I thought. My mother's lawyer had visited me two weeks ago. I had not spoken to her since I was 19, now 25, her lawyer was paying me a visit. No good news ever comes from your estranged mother's lawyer paying you a visit. He told me what I thought I would here. My mother had died. From lung cancer. Sure. Of course, I thought, she never could say no to a cigarette - or ten. But before she died, she'd written out in her will that her house/home business would be mine to keep. To do with whatever I wished. Whatever I wished....I wondered if anyone would mind me burning the hideous thing down....

Princess Peach whimpered and I walked over and opened the door for her, she sniffed around as I stared at the empty space surrounding me...and a lot of the color purple. I groaned. She never made things easy.

I realized that I was probably standing in the home business section of the house. I guess that meant that the things that I had the house movers ship over a week ago from my apartment, were sitting upstairs waiting for me. I let my shoulders slump in defeat. Okay, so if I hadnt gotten "lucky" (if you can really even call it that) with this place, I would've been homeless. My previous landlord had given me a months time to find another place because he found out Princess Peach was living with me. He went on and on about a no-pet policy before I just screamed at him that I'd remove myself from his property as soon as I found a goddamn place. Apparently this was the goddamn place I was going to be living in for the next year...or so.

I went upstairs and saw with relief that everything I had sent over, was set up for me. I hated moving. It was such a hassle and I always had a hard time with unpacking and organzing. But this was perfect. Even Princess Peach was enjoying herself.

I left her alone and walked over to the bathroom and stared at myself in the mirror. I looked exactly like her. Thats what her lawyer had said. I wondered if he could see that that was exactly what I'd been worried about. Looking like her, acting like her, talking like her. I spent a good deal of my life trying not to be her, anything like her. I didnt want to hear that after a good six years of having no contact with her in anyway, that still, I was connected to her. I shook my head. I was different. Her name was Jennifer and she was an untrustworthy person. My name is Adelaide, college graduate, who made something of herself, despite what her mother thought. I looked away from the mirror and walked away in disgust.

I went about the house and cleaned up a bit here and there. Around 5 o'clock pm, I heard the movers downstairs shuffling about. Although all of my things had been delivered, they were now bringing in the products for the store. Along with the house, my mother had left me her business. "Its a Babies World." When I heard a few bangs and thumps, I figured they were moving in the cribs and changing tables. Her lawyer, Dean, had said that in order for me to pay off the mortgage on the house, I would need a job. Since my Art Gallery wasnt doing so well, I decided to quit my position and take over her job. Selling toys and cribs. After a few hours, I went downstairs and looked at the result.

I was blown away at how full the store looked within just a few hours. The set up was just perfection even if the color of the walls were giving me a headache. Even an excited Princess Peach bounded down the staircase and sniffed around eagerly. When I looked over at her, I found she had already found a favorite place to hang out.

I chuckled. She was a funny girl. I guess she thought that was the best way to protect me. I was amazed at how loyal she remained. At the pound, they warned me that her previous owners had gotten bit by her. I didnt care though, one look at her and I was in love. I think she felt the same too.

Hit by such a strong feeling of tenderness and affection, I called her out and decided to play with her for a bit. She was a happy active pup, which was one thing I truly loved about her.

When we were both tired, I went upstairs and made myself some mac n' cheese. The "lonely-man's" dinner, as my ex would call it. I wolfed it down eagerly. The day had taken its toll on me and my hunger had become evident.

Around midnight, I got into bed with a sigh. Whether I liked it or not, I realized, this was my new home. The sooner I got used it, the easier it would be for me. I didnt know anyone in this town which meant this was a whole new start for me. I guess...its better that way. Especially when you have a few demons you need to escape. As I drifted to sleep, I reassured myself that this was probably best, this was how it was probably meant to be. I was meant to have a fresh start at life. And with that thought, I slept...

...While Princess Peach kept her eyes open for me.

Chapter 1: Mr. Mole

Well I hope you guys enjoyed it, of course it is a tad slow since its just the prologue/introductory. Any feedback/comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much

Click Next: Chapter 1: Mr. Mole to continue...

Next: Chapter 1: Mr. Mole

Click here to view comments, or to add your own.