Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!

Sunrise/Sunset Season Offset (More Realistic Sun Times!)

SCREENSHOTS
12,341 Downloads 348 Thanks  Thanks 133 Favourited 42,273 Views
Uploaded: 20th Nov 2014 at 10:14 PM
Updated: 10th Feb 2015 at 12:53 PM

Ever since I started playing The Sims 3 in 2009 I thought sunrise and sunset times in the game were not very realistic. This lead me to create the Longer Days Mod three years ago (hosted here at MTS: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=421863) but when the Seasons EP released I felt there was more to be done. EA had coded a sunset/sunrise offset that changed the sun times over the seasons but it just wasn't right. The default was still daytime between 6 and 18 in summer and then shorter days all the other reasons, which made no sense to me. So here's a mod changing the offsets, without changing the INI files.

There are two versions of the mod, and you should only use ONE at a time:

Stockholm
This version changes the sunrise/sunset times to a more realistic one, matching the ones in Stockholm, Sweden - which happens to be my hometown. I used the Stockholm sunrise/sunset data from 2013 for spring equinox, summer solstice, autumn equinox and winter solstice and applied these to the four seasons. This makes for these sunrise/sunset times*:

Spring - 5:30/18:00
Summer - 3:30/22:00
Autumn - 6:30/19:00
Winter - 8:30/15:00

Polar
This version changes sunrise/sunset times to reflect midnight sun and polar night, having these sunrise/sunset times*:

Spring - 6:00/18:00
Summer - Sun never sets**
Autumn - 6:00/18:00
Winter - Sun never rises***

* These are the sunrise/sunset times if the game uses INI files specifying standard sunrise and sunset at 6 and 18, if these values are changed the game will offset from the modified values.
** In-game this will work as such that the sun sets at midnight, then suddenly flips over to the other side of the world and rises the minute after.
*** In-game this will work as such that the sun rises at noon, then suddenly flips over to the other side of the world and sets the minute after.

If you wish to modify the package to make your own sunrise/sunset offset I have written a short guide on how to do it yourself, you can find it further down.

Requirements and Compatibility
This mod does not require the Seasons EP, but since all the changes are to Seasons related code it will do nothing useful if you don't have the EP.

This mod does not change any INI files and is therefore compatible with all lightning mods making changes to sky colours etc.

This mod makes changes to the SeasonsManager_0xda46c4abc19a24ff.xml file and is not compatible with any mod making changes to the same file.

This mod is made and tested with game version 1.57, and confirmed compatible for all patch versions up to and including 1.67, but should probably work with all patches down to the Seasons patch. I doubt they have made any changes to the XML since the EP release.

How to modify Sunrise/Sunset Season Offset mod to have your own times