Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 13th May 2013 at 11:56 AM
I have Win 7 at the moment on all my computers, so I know it works fine with that. So Win 8 is fine so long as it doesn't come with an Intel graphic card - good to know. Thanks for the info!

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#27 Old 13th May 2013 at 2:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Issie
I have Win 7 at the moment on all my computers, so I know it works fine with that. So Win 8 is fine so long as it doesn't come with an Intel graphic card - good to know. Thanks for the info!

Yep it is and no Problem
Instructor
#28 Old 14th May 2013 at 1:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kayinwonderland
I have a[n] Asus F75VD-TY236H with a Nvida Geforce 610 mb Graphic Card and on mine it works... My game did not even crashed once yesterday and I played 5 hours of the Sims

Have you tried to enable shaders? I have a geforce 640 and I have experienced the blue screen issue. Just wondering if others have also.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 14th May 2013 at 4:03 PM
I also have Windows8 on an Acer Aspire V3 571G 64bit, Intel Core i5-3230 2.6GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.2 GHz -- Intel HD 4000/ with Nvidia GeForce 730M 2 GB dedicated VRAM. I had no problem installing Double Deluxe, Open for Business, Fun with Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, and Apt. Life. The patches installed with no errors, I didn't need to use Grumpy Loader. Everything works great, quick and amazing graphics, except CAS. CAS crashes the game when I attempt to use a downloaded custom Toddler girl Sim. I can use custom male and female adults, teens, children and male toddlers with no problem. I click on the female sign, then choose the toddler, when I click on the random sim button, it crashes. I can't figure this one out. I can also use custom homes with no problem. I have tried removing all the custom toddler girls and putting them back in one at a time, but none of them work. I re-downloaded them to see if that was the issue but the same thing happens. Does anyone have any idea why everything works but custom toddler girls? I really don't want a town with nothing but men in a few years.

LedZepGirl
Instructor
#30 Old 14th May 2013 at 6:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ledzepgirl
I also have Windows8 on an Acer Aspire V3 571G 64bit, Intel Core i5-3230 2.6GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.2 GHz -- Intel HD 4000/ with Nvidia GeForce 730M 2 GB dedicated VRAM. I had no problem installing Double Deluxe, Open for Business, Fun with Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, and Apt. Life. The patches installed with no errors, I didn't need to use Grumpy Loader. Everything works great, quick and amazing graphics, except CAS. CAS crashes the game when I attempt to use a downloaded custom Toddler girl Sim. I can use custom male and female adults, teens, children and male toddlers with no problem. I click on the female sign, then choose the toddler, when I click on the random sim button, it crashes. I can't figure this one out. I can also use custom homes with no problem. I have tried removing all the custom toddler girls and putting them back in one at a time, but none of them work. I re-downloaded them to see if that was the issue but the same thing happens. Does anyone have any idea why everything works but custom toddler girls? I really don't want a town with nothing but men in a few years.
If you take out all the toddler CC and the game works fine, then this is a CC issue, not a W8 issue. You may be able to ask the creator directly.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 15th May 2013 at 4:56 AM
ttowntallyho,
That's what I thought too, that it was the CC, that's why I took every girl toddler out of the game and put one back in at a time. I would only have one girl toddler in the game at a time and none of them worked. They were from different creators. Everything worked fine until W8. I think it must be some kind of glitch since everything else in the game is fine. Wondering if I should uninstall and reinstall everything-but then might end up with bigger problems. I'm not impressed with W8 at all and hope that W8.1 that previews on June 26 is a whole lot better. Hang in there all W8 users, they will offer the upgrade to us for free. Let's hope it has a fix for Sims 2.

LedZepGirl
Instructor
#32 Old 15th May 2013 at 2:29 PM
ttowntallyho,
...and put one back in at a time...
But have you tried with NONE of them in the game? Does it work then? If it does, then it's a CC issue and that means all the custom toddlers are iffy, or your game just doesn't like that type of mod/cc.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#33 Old 17th May 2013 at 11:03 PM Last edited by Kayinwonderland : 17th May 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by ttowntallyho
Have you tried to enable shaders? I have a geforce 640 and I have experienced the blue screen issue. Just wondering if others have also.

Never ever. I only have a black screen when I open my neighborhood but it dissapears when I open my Desktop and reopen my Sims 2 game In general my Sims work much better and crash way less than on my (silly) vista

ttowntallyho,
Hang in there all W8 users, they will offer the upgrade to us for free. Let's hope it has a fix for Sims 2.

I highly doubt that. I only think that they will add a ability to run 16 bit Programs with a 64 bit System (since that is already available on 32 bit Systems) and maybe another little fixes or new Tools but I doubt that it will be SUCH a big change and I highly doubt that Windows cares about us 'few' (compared to other games) Sims 2 players who struggle a bit with Windows 8. When it comes to me: I am just happy that it works AT ALL because it is something I did not expected. And what makes me wonder even more is that my little Cousin can play her child games which were made for Windows 95/98 on my Windows 8 Laptop without even a Problem. Vista and XP failed in supporting non Vista/XP Programs so much and Windows 8 is better at least when it comes to my experiences
Test Subject
#34 Old 18th May 2013 at 1:39 AM
I have uninstalled/reinstalled the entire series a couple times. I wonder if there is stuff staying in the registry that I need to delete? I started off with double deluxe and that works fine until I start installing EPs. My husband has an Acer notebook with Win7, I am going to give that a shot. If I can get it to install, I am trading him computers... even though there are 2 keys missing from the keyboard. Yeah, I am that desperate for my simmies... lol.
Instructor
#35 Old 18th May 2013 at 1:56 AM
That's really strange to me that people are having problems with Windows 8 and The Sims 2? I have installed Sims 2 on three Windows 8 computers (two desktops, one laptop) and all of them work fine. Granted, two were simply updates but that doesn't mean anything if it's the OS that is the problem. I think people's problems is with the hardware, not the OS.

It is really crazy thinking that the Intel HD graphics don't work with The Sims 2 because I was going to get the Lenovo Yoga 13 (that's about $1000) and if I had I would have been pretty PEEVED when TS2 wouldn't work on it, lol. I guess it's a good thing to be somewhat poor.
Test Subject
#36 Old 18th May 2013 at 7:00 AM
I am at my wit's end. I bought a new computer specifically for the Sims 2, and it's nothing but a stupid paperweight.

Day 1 with my Win8 system (yesterday) - I installed the base game followed by expansions and stuff packs in the proper order; no patching, checking between each one to make sure the game was still running. I got all the way to Bon Voyage, then it started giving me an error saying something to the effect of the game not being compatible with my OS and to check that I was running at least 98 or 2000. So I Googled, found this thread, uninstalled everything, and today (Day 2 of trying to get this to work), I used the method in the first post of the thread, including using compatibility mode and patching, and the only packs I have been able to successfully install are the first two. When I install OFB, I get a message saying to check that the proper disc is in the drive and launch the program again, when I just installed, so clearly the right disc is in. I've tried patching and not patching OFB, and get the same message either way. I also tried installing further SP's/XP's over it, but then I just get the same error message for those.

HELP. Short of having someone wipe the hard drive out and buying a copy of Win7, I have no idea what to do anymore. I bought this stupid machine just to play my games, since my laptop can't, and it won't do it.

ETA: I don't buy the theory of "TS2 works fine on Win8 as long as it isn't an Intel Graphics Card". I have an NVIDIA graphics card.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#37 Old 18th May 2013 at 12:45 PM Last edited by Kayinwonderland : 18th May 2013 at 12:57 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by cmarie87
I have uninstalled/reinstalled the entire series a couple times. I wonder if there is stuff staying in the registry that I need to delete? I started off with double deluxe and that works fine until I start installing EPs. My husband has an Acer notebook with Win7, I am going to give that a shot. If I can get it to install, I am trading him computers... even though there are 2 keys missing from the keyboard. Yeah, I am that desperate for my simmies... lol.

Did you installed it the way I said? Normally it should work. if not it may be the graphic card

Quote: Originally posted by TheGirlWonder

HELP. Short of having someone wipe the hard drive out and buying a copy of Win7, I have no idea what to do anymore. I bought this stupid machine just to play my games, since my laptop can't, and it won't do it.

ETA: I don't buy the theory of "TS2 works fine on Win8 as long as it isn't an Intel Graphics Card". I have an NVIDIA graphics card.

Then it is maybe really a hardware Problem. I just know that if its a Intel HD Graphic card it does nor work maybe with some others its the same but like I said several times: I am no expert especially not when it comes to Hardware questions. It can be the Grapic card or can not be the Graphic card. I suggest everybody to check the compatibility BEFORE buying. Take the Game with you and ask or check it in the internet
Instructor
#38 Old 18th May 2013 at 8:22 PM
I am at my wit's end. I bought a new computer specifically for the Sims 2, and it's nothing but a stupid paperweight.

Day 1 with my Win8 system (yesterday) - I installed the base game followed by expansions and stuff packs in the proper order; no patching, checking between each one to make sure the game was still running. I got all the way to Bon Voyage, then it started giving me an error saying something to the effect of the game not being compatible with my OS and to check that I was running at least 98 or 2000. So I Googled, found this thread, uninstalled everything, and today (Day 2 of trying to get this to work), I used the method in the first post of the thread, including using compatibility mode and patching, and the only packs I have been able to successfully install are the first two. When I install OFB, I get a message saying to check that the proper disc is in the drive and launch the program again, when I just installed, so clearly the right disc is in. I've tried patching and not patching OFB, and get the same message either way. I also tried installing further SP's/XP's over it, but then I just get the same error message for those.

It is definitely NOT your graphics card. I don't know how good your graphics card is, but these error messages you're getting are not related to your graphics card.

I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say here, but I'll say this: I had the same problem way back with WindowsXP. It was SecuROM. I needed to find a way around it to continue to play Sims 2.
Test Subject
#39 Old 18th May 2013 at 8:45 PM

I am also having that issue, when I try to test between installations it is doing the same thing to me. I will try to run the last installed EP and it will tell me I have the wrong disc in, insert the Double Deluxe disc.

Kayinwonderland, I am following your instructions exactly. I tried installing TS2 on my husband's computer (Win7)... it has HD graphics, and it won't run at all on that. I have a desktop with XP, so I am just going to set that up to play. I really wanted it on my laptop because I like laying on my couch and playing, but I am over trying to get it on this computer. I have been trying since February. It really makes me want to toss it out my window. Guess I am just gonna have to get me a comfy computer chair and nice desk...
Top Secret Researcher
#40 Old 19th May 2013 at 8:12 PM
Just installed the base game (such fun with four disks). When I went to patch it, both with just the patch and the grumpy loader, it said it was up to date. (I went in to test it after it installed, ran just fine. Created a sim in CAS, had no problems.)

Should I take it at its word and go on to load University?
Test Subject
#41 Old 20th May 2013 at 12:18 AM
I finally got OFB to play. Turns out it doesn't need to be played in compatibility mode. Looks like the trick is figuring out the quirks of each pack and how to get around them.

neriana, thanks for that tip. I'll research into the SecuROM thing and see if that helps.
Top Secret Researcher
#42 Old 20th May 2013 at 2:13 AM Last edited by SusannaG : 20th May 2013 at 2:53 AM.
Anyone gotten the "Best of" packs to work?

I've had hardly problems loading my 4-disk version of basegame, and 2-disk versions of University and Nightlife.

Currently trying to run Best of Business in compatibility mode, game goes to black when I try to load Pleasantview. (If I don't run it in compatibility mode, it gets to a neighborhood, then crashes to desktop when I try to load a household.)

ETA: Installed game under XP pack 2, and I have none of the Maxis neighborhoods! When I try to create a new one, it goes to black screen again.

I am about to tear my hair out.
Test Subject
#43 Old 21st May 2013 at 5:38 PM
I *finally* have TS2 and all the expansions/stuff packs installed and running.

I followed the directions in the first post, but did not run the game in compatibility mode, because if I tried it would tell me I had the wrong disc in.
Test Subject
#44 Old 25th May 2013 at 10:57 AM
So here we go, I had been a lil bit reluctant to start reinstalling my game as it sounds painful.
And I just wonder... to the ones who had succeed, does CAS works for you as well ?
This is a breaking point for me, cause the last time I tried to open the game, (after upgrading my laptop to w8), CAS was specially unpleasant...shivers*
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 4th Jun 2013 at 12:12 AM
Okay so I've followed each of your instructions carefully, but even after installing the updates manually the game won't even start - it crashes every time. I've tried like every compatibility mode. The base game would work without crashing but all the other EPs onward just crash whenever I try to launch.

Has anyone else had this problem or is having it?

(by the way, OFB will not read the disc if you run it in compatibility mode. But for me even if I don't it just crashes anyway).
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 6th Jun 2013 at 4:11 PM
Well my problem has been fixed kinda. Basically found out that my mom's desktop still runs, it can't get internet and its freaking slow to boot up but once it gets running it plays the sims 2 just fine. Sooooo happy ^_^ Of course it means I have to play it in the living room and get bugged by other people but I'm just happy I can play at all.
Mad Poster
#47 Old 6th Jun 2013 at 4:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Iavasechui
Well my problem has been fixed kinda. Basically found out that my mom's desktop still runs, it can't get internet and its freaking slow to boot up but once it gets running it plays the sims 2 just fine. Sooooo happy ^_^ Of course it means I have to play it in the living room and get bugged by other people but I'm just happy I can play at all.

The internet can be easily solved if you just have a wireless router and a wireless adapter (USB).
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 7th Jun 2013 at 3:30 AM Last edited by CloudChaser0 : 7th Jun 2013 at 3:52 AM.
I'm not sure why people are trying so hard to make fun of Intel HD graphics, I mean honestly what the hell were you expecting from integrated graphics? :p

If you are stuck with Intel HD graphics I'd really be careful. Don't get me wrong Intel HD graphics aren't terrible, but don't expect to do much gaming with it.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 7th Jun 2013 at 4:21 PM
Yeah its not connecting despite the wireless router, though it can detect our home wifi... it worked before so I don't know what's up with that but I have a flashdrive if I want CC so that works out.
Test Subject
#50 Old 8th Jun 2013 at 9:11 AM
The issue I am having seems to be slightly different but just as frustrating. I loaded the entire sims 2 series probably not in the right order but I was guessing and it was before this thread was posted. My new computer has both an integrated graphics card and a NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX graphics card initial testing and playing has taught me to make sure to use manually select the NVIDIA graphics processor to launch sims and this worked for about a month of gameplay. I started putting my custom content in and really enjoying my game. Then yesterday my utopia was soured. The game no longer launches at all. If it was not in sync with something it would never have worked right? So I either have gremlins living in my computer mucking things up or my computer is just plain mean.
Page 2 of 13