Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#26 Old 9th May 2017 at 9:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
As a long time creator I can assure you, you are wrong. I upload on trusted sites and try to be trustwurthy though.

I had a copyright claim from YouTube yesterday. They keep track. Follow the rules or you end up with a video without music. Og someone complains on your site or your video, on YouTube you might be taken down, my blog might be taken down if enough people complain.

Someone might complain on content uploaded on mts, saying It's a copy of their work, the uploader might be banned.

You have to search for sites that gives a damn these days, and they are shrinking by the minutes. I have seen people saying It's too difficult being a creator these days, and give up.

Mediafire received lots of complaints about trusted sims creators, and took down tonns of content from among others Luna. She now has a site with pictures and no downloads.

You better make sure you have permission and credit where credits due these days.

There is always young people who think they can do as they like. They have a lesson to learn that 's all.

I don't know about YouTube that much except I do know that there is a lot of problems with folks on there uploading whole mod folders and sticking them behind adfly. And I've yet to hear anyone say YouTube is doing anything about it. I've also seen players share their whole mod folders with and without adfly on Reddit and other places.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 9th May 2017 at 12:50 PM
They are the ones who put time and energy into making the stuff. I think it's greedy to expect it all for free.
Forum Resident
#28 Old 9th May 2017 at 1:02 PM
This argument was on ts2 long ago. Here is what happened. There was someone who made a site to put the money mongers objects into his site and he had legal reasons to take their for-sale items and give it out for free to the sims community. It is in EA sign this before you can use our products. You are not to be charging money for your cc! You have already signed a contract with EA to not do so.
Instructor
#29 Old 9th May 2017 at 1:16 PM
EA don't give a shit if they did a certain site stealing and charging people for mods and objects which they stole would have been taken down. F EA

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Mad Poster
#30 Old 9th May 2017 at 1:47 PM
I use adblock, a few adblock blocker skippers, a page that goes around both adfly and link shorteners, and a few other things. Adblock is a plague, and so are the link shorteners. If people use a free uploading site (particulaly simfileshare), then why is it so horrifyingly difficult to just post that link?

I'm not against donations - as long as they're voluntary and don't come with "benefts" such as special CC items or special access. If they do, they're not donations, they're pay items.

I'm also not against ads, as long as they don't play music, flash, spread viruses, or anything else annoying or harmful. I do use adblock, so most of the time I'm not bothered by ads.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 10th May 2017 at 5:41 AM Last edited by GrumpySuzy : 10th May 2017 at 7:02 AM.
I don't lose respect for creators who put their links behind adfly. Since I lack the will and the skill to make CC for myself, I only feel grateful to have these beautiful pieces to play with, maybe a few more clicks away, but that's fine, beggars can't be choosers.
People often cite EA's EULA to be against pay content "You may include materials created with the Tools & Materials on your personal noncommercial website for the noncommercial benefit of the fan community for EA's products", I think legally EA put that in there but in practice obviously EA doesn't care, adding a Mod list and disclaimer to the game and script mod options is their way of saying We support CC. And why not? If you are a loyal fan of The Sims series, you have "donated" thousands to EA already, I guess EA wouldn't mind CC creators getting some for their effort to beautify the game further and keep the gamers happier. If you level up in the Video Game skill ingame, you can see their joke on the matter, it's something likes "What does the developer know? Modded game is the best" The Sim Resource is the largest CC site but they used to be a pay site for years, now they make you wait 60s and stuff their pages with ads, or NewSea, the biggest hair creator, also operates a donation-driven site. Obviously EA must know about them, if EA intended to shut them down, they didn't lack legal basis and resource to do so but we don't see EA is after them in any way. We have free choices to donate or not, to click through or not, it's not like the CC creators are forcing us to do anything than testing our patience. To be fair, some creators depend on it to continue their CC-making, would you prefer that they stop creating? Once I read a touching account from a simblr creator who said about how much it meant to her as a student who juggling between her study, cc creating and part time job. Who am I to judge her for desperately wanting 0.00000001 cent more while I'm sitting on my ass playing game. There was a survey on Tumblr about donation vs adfly income on average and the difference is big. The downloaders might loudly declare that they prefer an obscure, not in my face DONATE button but in fact very few people actually donate, at least with adfly, creator can earn a few bucks for sure if they need it.
I am aware that some people only convert or retexture but put their download behind adfly, which violates the TOU of their original creators, with all respect to creators, I disagree with this practice, especially if the creator is still active and clearly got annoyed by such violation.
Meanwhile, from the point of view of a greedy downloader , many creators retired or are not interested in converting their stuffs themselves due to lack of interest, what am I supposed to do? Not downloading my favorite items conversion to protest? I wish I could do so but sometimes I feel I'm not strong enough
Mad Poster
#32 Old 10th May 2017 at 6:23 AM Last edited by HarVee : 10th May 2017 at 6:43 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by alan650
They are the ones who put time and energy into making the stuff. I think it's greedy to expect it all for free.

They make content for a game that they bought and installed and by doing so they agreed with EA EULA. It's not greedy to expect people to follow it.

Even if it wasn't in EA's EULA there is still the moral debate, and perhaps other legal debates as well. Is it just to sell a service (in this case access to user-made content) in exchange for profit, a service that then requires separate purchase of a video game that was created by some one else that happens to be unaffiliated with your service (thus meaning the game company makes no profit from your service), a game which is sold commercially under international law?

The user who sells custom content and/or makes money from it through adlfy/patreon/whatever is therein using another's intellectual property (in this case EA's) without explicit permission and against the usage rights bestowed to the end user by the property owner, usage rights of which the user had agreed to upon installation, for financial gain. You don't need a degree in law to see that's a big red flag.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Instructor
#33 Old 10th May 2017 at 7:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
Even if it wasn't in EA's EULA there is still the moral debate, and perhaps other legal debates as well.

Very much, besides are you really going to quit your work and just live off the modding of a game you have no control over?

How many sites died since The Sims come out 17 years ago? Many were paysites that just didnt make the transition, problem is what happens then? the idea you share content is destroyed when the creator have a vested interest the content is not shared but brought, then what? they still own it but its no longer for sale ... how could the TS2 community exist if content from long dead sites is not shared and when most creators have a vested interest on moving on the newest title?

I released the few things I did for free because I did not wanted to have to support them, I wasnt going to take money for them and then at one point vanish without offering any help to people that brought it, the whole "pay me" does more harm because it restricts distribution, look at how often did "that person stolen my textures" appeared in the community? You cannot really build upon something when the mentality is "not share anything".

How many of these "pay me" creators can build their own tools? so far all tools to create Custom Content been free ... Studio is free, Workshop is free, Tools is free ... without them all they have is at best textures and mesh files.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 10th May 2017 at 7:09 AM Last edited by Nysha : 11th May 2017 at 8:44 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Drakron
Very much, besides are you really going to quit your work and just live off the modding of a game you have no control over?

If they have consistent pay of course, there are very few of them whose creations have high enough demand to do so, but they exist
Modder Makes Over $4,000 A Month Adding A Lot Of Sex To The Sims 4 [Moderator note: link removed due to very graphic images. If you want to see 'em, search for this article on Kotaku]
"mod is Turbodriver’s full-time job now. While Turbodriver works on the main mod by himself, he estimates that about 30 people have tweaked WickedWhims further with their own content, allowing others to make a profit, too."
Mad Poster
#36 Old 10th May 2017 at 8:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Drakron
look at how often did "that person stolen my textures" appeared in the community? You cannot really build upon something when the mentality is "not share anything".

Sharing content is fine, but only if the original author of the content allows distribution of their content, as they do have some rights to it, unless it's a mesh/texture conversion. But as such, content created specifically for usage within this game cannot be sold for profit.

If I were to take my textures or models and sell them for profit on a completely unrelated site, than that would be fine, as they are my content. But I cannot take my models and textures, import them into the file structure utilized by this game(s) and and charge money for access to those files or create a third party partnership with adlfy that gives me money when someone does download them, because I would still be financially gaining from said content itself.

This is different from having ads on your site, or having a donation option as, well, an option. I have seen some sites, force people to "donate" on patreon to gain access to the files.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Instructor
#37 Old 10th May 2017 at 12:12 PM
Quote:
Modder Makes Over $4,000 A Month Adding A Lot Of Sex To The Sims 4

it's the only reason i'm still playing this stupid game. the actual game itself sucks.

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Top Secret Researcher
#38 Old 12th May 2017 at 4:49 PM
I don't exactly lose the respect, but I don't exactly vouch for this. I hated addfly with a burning passion until I found addfly skipper and coded my add-blocker so it won't be detected.
But I do lose respect to those who separate all the cc into separate files and put each of them behind addfly instead of giving it as one download.

At the same time I wonder, if it wasn't for this greediness and easiness of using addflies, shorters etc. perhaps less people would create/convert downloads for the game. But as it is now, people have higher motivation because the monehh.

But I do get good laughs when I see "donate?" button almost in every sim content site. I don't mind donating if their work is great, but that everyone's putting it out there is just lol
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#39 Old 12th May 2017 at 5:30 PM
Well, unlike Patreon, I can see a validity in a paypal button. For example, a creator might not get much from it, but once in a blue moon a user might think "oh thank goodness this is JUST what I needed" and donate a couple of quid. Then you could get a box of chocolate or a bottle of wine or something that you weren't expecting. It's a nice moment.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#40 Old 12th May 2017 at 9:05 PM
I've actually gotten a donation or two that had the message "Get yourself some chocolate" attached to it. And you know what? I did and it was good. (I seriously LOVE my chocolate, eat some every.single.day and have been known to get more than a bit grouchy if I run out. )

/me wanders off in search of some chocolate
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 13th May 2017 at 10:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
I've actually gotten a donation or two that had the message "Get yourself some chocolate" attached to it. And you know what? I did and it was good. (I seriously LOVE my chocolate, eat some every.single.day and have been known to get more than a bit grouchy if I run out. )

/me wanders off in search of some chocolate

They paid you to get diabetes and lose your teeth.
Test Subject
#42 Old 13th May 2017 at 2:52 PM
The only time I ever click on Ad.fly links is when the creator has an alternative link to the item, as well. For example, I know some of the tumblr CC makers will include 2 links for a download, one where you go through ad.fly and the other where you can go straight to the download source without ads.

I appreciate the choice, so I am happy to support them.
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 13th May 2017 at 4:42 PM
I really, really appreciate a creator who posts/uploads free custom content -- but I consider it a privilege, not a right. There are two stuff-packs and one game pack from EA that I very much want, but my family and I live beneath the poverty line now, I can't possibly afford it. So, when someone creates great custom content or mods, and I can download them free and clear, I am very grateful.

With that said, however...I completely understand the use of Ads as income, and even charging people to buy your content /provided it's not just a recolour/.

So, no, I don't lose respect and I have no problem with Ads on things or donation buttons or even creators asking people to pay a small fee for the CC. Why? Because creating takes work, effort and imagination. It takes time. It takes the creator not giving up on a game that's buggy AF and not giving up on wanting to get their content out there.

The fact is, CC for free is a privilege, not a right. I'd be very unhappy if every creator out there suddenly wanted to be paid for their content, because then I really couldn't ever get new mods or content -- but it wouldn't surprise me and I wouldn't lose respect. We pay for services we need and want every single day. CC isn't any different. Creators are nice enough to put in all that work without any payment expected. I'm grateful for that, and I think others should be too. Complaining about it certainly won't help, and again...you're downloading free labour. A free product.

Shrugs.
Test Subject
#44 Old 15th May 2017 at 6:20 AM
" creating takes work, effort and imagination. It takes time. It takes the creator not giving up on a game that's buggy AF and not giving up on wanting to get their content out there.
We pay for services we need and want every single day. CC isn't any different
The fact is, CC for free is a privilege, not a right."

You put it so well.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Forum Resident
#45 Old 15th May 2017 at 3:13 PM Last edited by LaurellKH : 15th May 2017 at 3:26 PM.
Okay it was a very long time ago I played TS2 so that is why I could not remember it. But I have it now. They were/are called PaySitesMustBeDestroyed and maybe one was called SimsCaveMustBeDestroyed but I know nothing of the SimCave. But it does not seem to have carried over to Sims4.

Is there a new site that has taken up the mantle and supplies paid cc for free to the TS4 community?

I am not liking this Newsea's trickery. Using fancy words like "donate." That word implies a choice! Not must. You don't mean "donate" you mean the word "buy."

Also very disturbing are sites forcing me to not use my addblock. This is not practical because adds are slowing and damaging to our computers and my hearing. They have sound that cannot be easily controlled and try to be loud to get our attention. Then freeze our computer or make us search long to find the add that is making the noise. Sudden loud noise when my settings are not ready for it but are set to a game that I have optimized instead. So they are not even trying to use respectable advertisement. They are desperate for money so they tell us shut off your adblock but then throw at us the worse the internet has to offer. Not respectable adds that are only a picture or two on the corners of your webpage with no moving or sound just a reload like billboards.

Anyway, if I must look at their site I do not shut off my adblock. Instead I just copy and paste their url to my unloved browser Microsoft Edge. So that is why I know the adds they let in are obnoxious with no restraint.

And again I say it is illegal for you to charge money for your hard work on custom content! You do this and you now owe EA proceeds. So you go and pay EA their money now or you stop and go play a game that lets you do this - the Second Life game is where you belong if you want to charge money. It is made for that. Not Sims!
#46 Old 15th May 2017 at 3:21 PM
Well LaurellKH there is always another option - ie if you don't like the price don't take the goods. How many people go into a store and think "Hmm that jacket's a bit expensive I am sure everyone will think I am just great if I simply walk out with it"? But they would respect you if you refused to buy it altogether, especially if everyone did the same and the store was forced to reduce the prices or close.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#47 Old 15th May 2017 at 3:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Well LaurellKH there is always another option - ie if you don't like the price don't take the goods. How many people go into a store and think "Hmm that jacket's a bit expensive I am sure everyone will think I am just great if I simply walk out with it"? But they would respect you if you refused to buy it altogether, especially if everyone did the same and the store was forced to reduce the prices or close.

Are you the pay site owner then? You are trolling me. Of course I will not pay it. What kind of stupid suggestion is that except a troll to try and provoke me to a fight on a heated subject. Unless I open the free site myself and give their stuff away I am obviously not going to pay for it. But I must search or else I will spend all day crying in the WCIF section will you all look for me for this and for that. So I must be forced to see their sites as that is where the google leads and where the blogs lead. Take your trolling elsewhere is silly to tell me what is obvious.

And on what I said I will add that it was not Newsea that had the bad adds and Newsea does have some free content. Just hard time finding their free items.
#48 Old 15th May 2017 at 3:45 PM
No, I am just sick of people saying "oh I don't like the terms so I am just going to take the goods anyway and ignore the terms". Or at least if one is going to, it's nothing to be proud and open about.

Instructor
#49 Old 16th May 2017 at 2:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
The word 'donate' does not mean forcing people pay for things. If that is what some creators are doing, it should be called out. I don't know if this is what they are doing or not and I'm not going to waste my time going to look. I don't play TS4, so whatever.

It doesnt matter if you play TS4 or not, "donation" sets existed since The Sims (1).

This is because ... a donation is not subjected to taxation so this is very common loophole to sell something without having to pay taxes over said income but its really selling, its just not called that despite you have to "donate" a minimum amount and as I said, these been around about as long as the series.

Newsea always been pay, s/he used to have a site before she became a featured artist in TSR and apparently reactivated it for TS4, there arent many of the "old style" TS2/3 paysites with subscriptions or even ones with "donation supporting sets" but Newsea is one of the last ones, reminds be of Peggy Zone to be honest.
Test Subject
#50 Old 18th May 2017 at 9:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMelissa
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I can understand a creator's frustration with putting time, energy and creativity into a project and not get anything in return. On the other hand, I hate it when a site says their content is free, then turns around and punishes the user with long wait times because they are not a paid subscriber and won't turn off their ad-blocker.

TheSimsResource charges a $3.50 "donation". Those who don't pay have to watch a 60-second countdown. And if you open another TSR page while waiting, the countdown on the first page pauses until you return. In essence, it holds the user hostage.

Personally, I think sites should have an easy to see Paypal Donation button with a nice note that says, "If you enjoy what I make, please consider making a small donation."

FYI: I play only Sims 2 and am blessed in that there is plenty of free content for that game.

I've totally stumbled across this issue on TSR before. I just ignore the donate button, leave my AdBlocker enabled, and go work on a word document or something for a few seconds to a minute. Most times, I just get the 10-second countdown, but even the 60-second one doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Call me stubborn, but if I see a piece of content that's on a (mostly) free site like that that I want, I'm getting it, come Hell or high water.

A storyteller's game, lips that intoxicate; the core of all Life is a limitless chest of tales.
Page 2 of 6