Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#26 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 10:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tigger89
Ack, I seem to have forgotten to mention that if you roll Dependable and don't have any actual conventional careers, you should re-roll it! Especially if you're in generation 1, you won't have anything to do. Sorry about that!
Ahh, I see! I rerolled
6: Collector
And ohhh lord there's no way I'm not gonna fail that

I have one question about the secondary career. I rolled Career Hopper for that, but was a bit confused as to how it works. Does this mean that my Gen 1 heir gets to do that in addition to the unconventional main career?

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 10:47 AM Last edited by Eremis : 15th Sep 2014 at 1:24 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by TotallyJW
Ahh, I see! I rerolled
6: Collector
And ohhh lord there's no way I'm not gonna fail that

I have one question about the secondary career. I rolled Career Hopper for that, but was a bit confused as to how it works. Does this mean that my Gen 1 heir gets to do that in addition to the unconventional main career?

The secondary career is for any helpers/spouses etc. So if you don't have any, then just ignore the secondary career! I think for each helper/spouse etc you roll from the secondary career category rather than the primary.. I'm pretty sure that's how it works haha xD

Edit:

Man this Perfect Children goal is tough! It should get easier as I learn what to play for, for each rank of grades/aspirations though.
I actually already used my potion of youth, the day before Lily aged up, I've decided she's gonna be my Gen 2 heir That and she's SOOO close to Grade A and Max Aspiration that I don't want to fail it!

Alexis also adopted a girl, Norah and just had another boy, Adrian. One more to go!

My Legacy Blog
#28 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 3:44 PM
Default Forgot to ask my questions. Silly me.
Quote: Originally posted by Tigger89
Nature (The Curator) – (check frog breeding)

There is indeed frog breeding involved in this aspiration, but you are not required to sell the frog you breed. The requirement was to breed 10 frogs. The same part of that aspiration goal also requires you to send 10 things off to the Geo Society at §20 a pop. Completing this aspiration allows you to send off gems/metals (not MySim trophies. I haven't checked with elements, fossils or postcards) to the Simsonian museum at a hefty mark up. After that I don't think any of the aspiration goals asked you to sell anything. Most of the goals required you to keep them in your inventory actually.

Frog breeding as a career might be a bit tough before generation 2 or 3. There is a cooldown between breeding frogs (even if you use different frogs) and I haven't found a frog worth more than §135 yet.

ETA: As for allowed mods, will the mods allowing locked build/buy items to be unlocked be allowed? What about the Time Changer Mod

Also, My Precious would so work for sims4 even if it's not a consignment store! Go collect a frog or dig up a gem/metal/fossil/MySim thingy or fish for a fish to be mounted or 'bowled' at least once a sim week and it has to be on display in the house.

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find-
Secrets of the Sixkillers
A Random Legacy
Field Researcher
#29 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 5:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Eremis
Man this Perfect Children goal is tough! It should get easier as I learn what to play for, for each rank of grades/aspirations though.
I actually already used my potion of youth, the day before Lily aged up, I've decided she's gonna be my Gen 2 heir That and she's SOOO close to Grade A and Max Aspiration that I don't want to fail it!

I feel for you. I tried to do the aspirations and make the kids get an A in school before growing up just to see if I could, but neither twin made it. One got an A the other a B, and neither completed their aspiration I have yet to be able to accomplish that with any child in the normal lifespan, it is actually the main reason I switched to long lifespan with my original town. I don't know how you're supposed to do it, it seems like the hardest roll possible :P
Scholar
#30 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 6:10 PM
In my first game I had no problems with different age groups, there was an ok mix of all age ranges, once the unhoused sims started wandering the neighborhoods.

In the new game I made specifically for the random legacy all the sims seem to be elderly, except for the few houses that are populated by default.
The first child's Dad ended up being one of the bartenders for lack of suitable 'donors'.
One of the rolls I got was...."Friendship is Forever – Beginning when the heir is a child, they must make one new good friend every week. This friendship must be maintained through subsequent weeks, and may only be ended by the death of the friend."
On the one hand my kid is currently hanging out with a gang of old people, but on the other hand the maintain till death clause might make all the friendships a bit easier to maintain lol.
(One of my visiting old ladies (mentioned in a previous post) came by after the baby grew up, and there was zero relationship with the child, which I thought was a bit sad)

I downloaded the fantastic "Bourbon Street" by bubbajoe62 modified it to add a park and some kid stuff in the hopes of drawing any stray kids to the area.
In one of the bars....(the blonde is one of my sims)

Across the street in the other bar

Back to the first bar

But in accordance with the rules here is my first child hangin' with her bff's

(bourbon street can be found here http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534539 )
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#31 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 10:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShakespearesSunshyne
There is indeed frog breeding involved in this aspiration, but you are not required to sell the frog you breed. The requirement was to breed 10 frogs. The same part of that aspiration goal also requires you to send 10 things off to the Geo Society at §20 a pop. Completing this aspiration allows you to send off gems/metals (not MySim trophies. I haven't checked with elements, fossils or postcards) to the Simsonian museum at a hefty mark up. After that I don't think any of the aspiration goals asked you to sell anything. Most of the goals required you to keep them in your inventory actually.

Okay, so it's pretty much like the gardening and the fishing ones, then. You just end up with a huge amount of stuff that you can't really sell under random legacy rules. Thanks for checking on that, I made a note to change it in the next rules fix.

Frog breeding as a career might be a bit tough before generation 2 or 3. There is a cooldown between breeding frogs (even if you use different frogs) and I haven't found a frog worth more than §135 yet.

You're probably right, I was worried about that one. I'll probably take it out for now soon, until I figure out if there's going to be a "freelance scientist" career this time around. There's probably ways to make money that fit that, but I haven't had the chance to play with the observatory or the microscope yet, so I haven't encountered them.

ETA: As for allowed mods, will the mods allowing locked build/buy items to be unlocked be allowed? What about the Time Changer Mod

Unlocking build/buy items - I'd say no, because those items tend to be the most powerful ones of that type. Using that mod would put you at a clear advantage over somebody who didn't. If it's installed, just don't buy anything that you wouldn't have unlocked yet.
Time Changer Mod - at first this seems okay, because all actions will take longer when the clock is slowed down, but there's posts in the comments that are saying that some interactions(such as painting) take the same amount of RL time that they did before, meaning that the action goes by significantly faster for the sims. If that's true, then that mod will have to be a no as well, until that's fixed.

Also, My Precious would so work for sims4 even if it's not a consignment store! Go collect a frog or dig up a gem/metal/fossil/MySim thingy or fish for a fish to be mounted or 'bowled' at least once a sim week and it has to be on display in the house.

I don't remember why I didn't include that one! I made a note to look at it again and add it in next time around, unless I can remember why I didn't. Maybe I just didn't feel like figuring out collections at the time, and then forgot about it, or something.

Quote: Originally posted by lilliandulcia
I feel for you. I tried to do the aspirations and make the kids get an A in school before growing up just to see if I could, but neither twin made it. One got an A the other a B, and neither completed their aspiration I have yet to be able to accomplish that with any child in the normal lifespan, it is actually the main reason I switched to long lifespan with my original town. I don't know how you're supposed to do it, it seems like the hardest roll possible :P

Apparently I'm the only person who doesn't have a lot of trouble with this. A friend on facebook called me crazy for saying that it wasn't that difficult once you'd done it once. I'd fix it, but I'm not really sure what to cut out to make it easier. What exactly is not getting done? Is it too hard to get the one skill all the way to 10? Are you completing the goals, but then running out of school days to actually bring the performance up?

I've decided that I am going to blog my legacy. There's absolutely no way I'm letting the generation of poor life choices go by without it being immortalized in story form.

My sims blog
Currently playing: Katran Random Legacy
Field Researcher
#32 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 10:34 PM
Apparently I'm the only person who doesn't have a lot of trouble with this. A friend on facebook called me crazy for saying that it wasn't that difficult once you'd done it once. I'd fix it, but I'm not really sure what to cut out to make it easier. What exactly is not getting done? Is it too hard to get the one skill all the way to 10? Are you completing the goals, but then running out of school days to actually bring the performance up?

It depends, I'll try to remember what I had issues with... Just getting an A alone isn't a problem, my kid missed it simply because I forgot to do extra credit one day and he ran out of time to do it as a result. If I had been trying very seriously, that wouldn't have happened.

In this case, one sim had the social butterfly aspiration and the other had the creative aspiration. The social one had no issues getting the skill up to level 10, but she had problems meeting the friend requirements because family doesn't count. By the time she was well rested, not hungry, etc it was always night time so she couldn't exactly go out and meet a bunch of children to become friends with. During the day she's at school and would come home cranky so I couldn't send her out to make friends then. It wouldn't be a problem if her family counted but they didn't :/ The other one, the main problem was getting his creativity up to 10. I think it was around 6 when he aged up. I possibly could have made it if I hadn't tried to get him to have an A in school (and he ended up missing the extra credit anyway). I feel like if I only had 1 child to worry about it wouldn't have been as much of an issue because I can carefully plan things more easily, but with 2+ it gets really hard. Maybe I just suck at TS4.
Test Subject
#33 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 10:49 PM
Do you plan to include the now unlocked teenager careers?
Test Subject
#34 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 12:13 AM Last edited by Eremis : 16th Sep 2014 at 12:46 AM.

I think it's a combination of things, my roll requires all 4 kids to max their grade and aspiration so it's a little tough. On top of that they need a BFF, which isn't too hard, and it raises the social skill anyway. I think one of the hardest things I came across was "Be read to by an adult for 3 hours" on two of my Whiz Kid kids. Between work and being pregnant, Alexis just didn't have the time to do more than basic needs xD I think i made it hard for myself by trying to max one of their skills first instead of getting Level 4 in each. I did actually run out of time with Lily, my eldest/heir, simply because I'd almost maxed social and mental, but neglected the other two Something I'm trying to avoid on Norah, my second child, but she seems even farther away from finishing than Lily. Then again, I did use my Young Again potion on Lily D: I wanted to make every effort to complete the generation goals on her since she's my heir :D
Regardless though, I'm having fun. I may not be able to meet the Generation goal in the child phase but hopefully the teenage phase will be better

Edit:
Lily actually finished her Whiz Kid aspiration, and it made her pick a new one, only it was one of the adult ones.. so she can't really do anything with it I switched it to another childhood one, I hope that's okay. If not, I've got a save before than I can pick up from :3
#35 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 12:18 AM
Time Changer Mod - at first this seems okay, because all actions will take longer when the clock is slowed down, but there's posts in the comments that are saying that some interactions(such as painting) take the same amount of RL time that they did before, meaning that the action goes by significantly faster for the sims. If that's true, then that mod will have to be a no as well, until that's fixed.
When ever my sim paints I get the little timer that moves around the interaction in the queue. I do know that some interactions are only as long as the animation takes to play, (watering plants, for instance, goes by quicker because it's only as long as the animation lasts) but on the flip side, the timed ones take much longer (spraying the gardening plants for bugs, dear Twallan that takes forever with the time mod.) I'll look again when I'm next in to make sure what I'm seeing with it though. Thank you!

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find-
Secrets of the Sixkillers
A Random Legacy
Instructor
Original Poster
#36 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 2:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by washout
Do you plan to include the now unlocked teenager careers?

I'm not sure what this means? Currently, any teen sims who are going to stay in the household(so, the heir and any helpers) may take a teen job, but any spares that are going to be moved out may not. This might change when I actually get a chance to play with a teen job and see how much money it actually brings in. I'm not sure if something extra was unlocked from the game files with a mod, if so I haven't heard of it yet.

My sims blog
Test Subject
#37 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 2:44 AM
So I never tried any legacies in Sims 3 and decided to give this one a chance to see if it's any fun. (it is, but if you are reading this you already know that)

my first generation rolled to be
Marital Status: Couple
Children: 5
Heir Career: Entertainer(Comedian)
Spouse Career: Painter(Patron of the Arts) – May sell crafted paintings.
Goal: Dependant.
Fun: Health Nut. I hate salads

I have a couple of questions...
1. my heir (Comedian) has a Popularity(Joke Star) Aspiration, it asks me to get 2500§ by doing routines to complete my aspiration, am I allowed to do that under your rules?

2. my second generation Heir according to a dice roll is the 4th Child. by the time it was born my first child was a few days from being an adult. should I just keep him unemployed until the heir is of age?

also some notes.

All the food that I found that can be considered healthy:
Garden Salad
Tofu Dogs (Outdoor Grill)
Veggie Burger (Outdoor Grill)
Carrot Cake (Cupcake Machine)
Spaghetti (I think this can be added, for variety.. it's reasonably healthy)
also the Gourmet:
Garlic Noodles
Caprese Salad
Spinach Fritatta (not sure what's a Fritatta, but according to Popeye Spinach is good for you)

and another thing... after my fifth child was born i decided to quit for a while. when I came back I loaded the game and I only had three children. and the spouse pregnant with my heir. after some web searching I found this..
Quote:
Currently, the auto-save feature works and does what it should. The issue comes with loading your game. When you click the big "Play" button on the main menu, the game loads the last manual save you made, even if the last auto-save was more recent. If you hop back into your family and realize it's the wrong save file, you probably just lost your auto-save, because chances are, the game overwrote it when you clicked Play.

so basically Angry Poop!!!

Edit:
P.S.
I have a new suggestion for the fun roll if you want.

Draught: make do with only one toilet and one bath/shower on your lot.
Test Subject
#38 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 12:23 AM
It doesn't matter if you have too many children right? As on my final child the heir gave birth to twins!
PS this is for my first generation and it has been absolutely hectic let me tell you why!
I rolled:
Single with 3 helpers
3 children (4 with the twins! Yes I have a full house)
Heir: Fishersim
Helper 1: Criminal
Helper 2: Comedian
Helper 3: Musician
The generation goal of dependable! (At least it wasn't four jobs I had to continuously do the daily task for!)
Then for the fun roll I just rolled that all heirs children had to have one of the heirs trait for them all! I chose active
Scholar
#39 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 11:16 AM
Yay, finally got this started! Meet my founder, struggling comedian Shaowen Bingham! Who looks a bit like my simself's brother, haha.

And I mean it when I say struggling. I'm having him perform routines all the time, but other sims just won't seem to give him any tips. It's been 1 sim week, and I haven't bought any more furniture. He has 300 simoleons to his name. If it keeps on like this, I might give him a secondary unconventional career, just because I'm not allowed to have any helpers or anything.
But other than that, I'm having a ton of fun

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Test Subject
#40 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 2:13 PM
@tigger89, many, many tnahks It's great challenge

Generation 1.
My roll:
martial status: Single,
children: 1,
heir: Painter(Master of the Real),
Generation Goal: Collector,
Miscellaneous Fun: Joker.
Lavinia Crichton
Test Subject
#41 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 5:23 PM
Serious noob here when it comes to any type of legacy challenge.This looks like an interesting challenge.Not having ever done anything like this in all my simming years I am having trouble getting started.I have read the rules and do understand those,where my problem comes in is with the term rolling.I am assuming this refers to dice or virtual dice.

Are we talking one,two,three..etc?Some of the "rolls" consist of numbers greater than 2 dice but less than 3,that is if I am understanding the term correctly.A link to a beginning basics for dummies would be really helpful...please be gentle.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 5:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by graciousgrover
Serious noob here when it comes to any type of legacy challenge.This looks like an interesting challenge.Not having ever done anything like this in all my simming years I am having trouble getting started.I have read the rules and do understand those,where my problem comes in is with the term rolling.I am assuming this refers to dice or virtual dice.

Are we talking one,two,three..etc?Some of the "rolls" consist of numbers greater than 2 dice but less than 3,that is if I am understanding the term correctly.A link to a beginning basics for dummies would be really helpful...please be gentle.

random.org is perfect for these challenges. Just put 1 in the top box and the highest number in the lower box. Hit generate and you're done
Test Subject
#43 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 5:36 PM
Thank you misfit that is so much easier than where my brain was going.
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by graciousgrover
Thank you misfit that is so much easier than where my brain was going.

Lol, no problem
Field Researcher
#45 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 10:55 PM
Yeaaah Thanks Tiger89, I was waiting impatiently for this challenge to be released on MTS. I was very active at the beginning on the other topic dedicated to TS3 but was forced to let it down at the end because of all the issues I had the game. I loveTS4 and I'm glad to be able to play a RL challenge in this game.

Actually, I've to say that as soon as I installed the game, I rolled for my first generation even if I had not the rules in hand. I rolled this generation using the TS3 rules (without all the TS3's EP extras).

I'm playing the generation 3 now and will post pictures as soon as i'll organise my screenshots folder.
Test Subject
#46 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 7:07 PM
Seeing as over the past day or two there have been a few big mods released (babies for everyone, simocide and the relationship decay one) May you update the first post of which of these mods are allowed?
Instructor
Original Poster
#47 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 11:40 PM
Chapter 1("Daddy, what's a vampire?") has been posted!

Quote: Originally posted by TotallyJW
And I mean it when I say struggling. I'm having him perform routines all the time, but other sims just won't seem to give him any tips. It's been 1 sim week, and I haven't bought any more furniture. He has 300 simoleons to his name. If it keeps on like this, I might give him a secondary unconventional career, just because I'm not allowed to have any helpers or anything.

I've heard that you can sell your jokes or something with the computer once you get to a certain comedy level, if you see that option you can use it. I'll be testing that career next generation so I'll see if it's broken or not when I get to that point. For now, if you can't get a cash flow going, and you'd like to roll a new secondary career, you can.

Quote: Originally posted by poppyopy
Seeing as over the past day or two there have been a few big mods released (babies for everyone, simocide and the relationship decay one) May you update the first post of which of these mods are allowed?

The general rule to follow is, if the mod gives you a gameplay advantage over other people who aren't using it, then it's not allowed. Some exceptions may be made for very popular mods that almost everybody uses that fix things, or that introduce disadvantages to counter the advantages.
Babies for everyone: There's two problems here. First, the elder pregnancy option, for obvious reasons, though this feature can simply not be used. There's also the chance to get both partners pregnant at the same time, essentially doubling-up the pregnancies, allowing you to have twice the babies in the same amount of time, which is a clear advantage. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be able to be turned off in this version of the mod, and there's also no way I know of to abort a pregnancy at this point. If either of those things get fixed(ability to turn it off in the mod or a mod or cheat code that allows pregnancies to be ended), then this mod would be okay as long as you don't use it to have partners impregnate each other at the same time.
Simocide: Haha this one is fine. You're not going to gain anything by killing your neighbors, apart from stress relief.
No relationship decay: No to this one. Part of the challenge of the game is in making and keeping friendships, a matter that's actually in some parameters as well as being required for careers and aspirations. Having relationships never decay is definitely a bit cheaty. An example of a similar mod that would be okay would be some sort of overhaul of the relationship system that reduced the relationship decay but also introduced some other aspects, with mixed advantages and disadvantages(maybe sims who are mad at your sims stay angry for longer and actively seek revenge, or something?).

My sims blog
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 1:21 AM
I'm using this as an inspiration for my already-started legacy (that's on a smaller lot but with the same $ to start). There's a couple of things I can't bring myself to do, like letting my sims have full autonomy or the inherited trait one (I like random traits). And I'm allowing current residents to stay on as helpers (only if I roll for helpers). And I'm rolling number of pregnancies, not kids. Because I seriously want to see if I could end up with 10 kids from some weird twin luck. And no mixed, because I already decided no adoptions. So...uh...90% random?

So right now I have a family of six, two parents and four kids. The eldest, who is the heir as I'm choosing natural born girls who have the Family Oriented trait or, in the absence of that trait, first born, is turning YA in two days. So her generation is going to be:

Couple with help
2 pregnancies
perfect careers
no hand of god

Heir- Zuri
conventional career - writer - journalist

Spouse - Alexander Goth
conventional career - painter - master of the real

Helper - sister Lauren
conventional career - astronomer - smuggler (so perfect since she's technically Evil yet really nice socially)
Scholar
#49 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 10:24 PM
Concerning the job hopper career roll.....
Do all the jobs have to be different everytime?
My first career hopper roll I got writer (author) for the 3rd & 5th rolls, which I'm ok with swapping back to it if that's allowed, but the 2nd time I rolled career hopper I've got Diamond Agent for the 2nd and 3rd rolls, so I'm not quite sure what to do with that.
As I understand it the jobs should be done in the order they're rolled, so do I re-roll the duplicate jobs? swap the 3rd and the 4th so there's a break inbetween the duplicate job?, get to a certain level in DA before I switch to the 4th one?
Is there any hard and fast rule for this or is it player discretion?
Instructor
Original Poster
#50 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ChickieTeeta
Concerning the job hopper career roll.....
Do all the jobs have to be different everytime?
My first career hopper roll I got writer (author) for the 3rd & 5th rolls, which I'm ok with swapping back to it if that's allowed, but the 2nd time I rolled career hopper I've got Diamond Agent for the 2nd and 3rd rolls, so I'm not quite sure what to do with that.
As I understand it the jobs should be done in the order they're rolled, so do I re-roll the duplicate jobs? swap the 3rd and the 4th so there's a break inbetween the duplicate job?, get to a certain level in DA before I switch to the 4th one?
Is there any hard and fast rule for this or is it player discretion?

Career Hopper was introduced to allow sims to complete the Renaissance Sim aspiration, which as I understand it requires you to switch between several(3 or 4 iirc) careers. You should roll 5 unique careers(criminal(boss) and criminal(oracle) would not be considered 2 unique careers, due to the game being funky about branching careers, but if you get a mod to fix that you may consider them unique careers), and then you may switch between them at any time, provided you've played each for the minimum amount of time specified. I think I said you had to do 3 before adult, and all 5 before elder. You may go back to a previous career, in fact if you're doing that aspiration you may find it necessary to. This is different from the sims 3 version of the challenge, where you had to play them in order and couldn't go back, but I had to tweak it in order to make it work with the aspiration.

My sims blog
Page 2 of 26