Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 2:24 PM Last edited by Sigune : 7th Mar 2014 at 9:58 PM. Reason: Polishing
Default Adopting Challange
My first post!
This challange starts with a couple who works at a medical center abroad amidst poverty and sickness.
They come upon children who dont have any parents.
They have an urge to give them a home. They also have children of their own.

Start of Game
A male YA with following triats: Genious, Workaholic. He gets into medical career.
A female YA with following traits: Neat, nurturing or familyoriented, natural cook.
Exept for the pair, there can be a employee for the children, she has nurturing, neat and natural cook.
The mother will then have a part time-job and traits: bookworm, familyoriented, green thumb or athletic.

Rules
The woman can adopt a infant or toddler every 24 hours or try for a baby with her husband.
If the try fails they must wait 24 hours, reason is it will be too many children.
If she is pregnant she must wait until birth to adopt a new.
They takes care of all children equally, there will be a mix of their own and the orphans.

They must learn all Toddler skills, Get an A in school and be helped into a fitting career.
Give them different LTW if possible choose from the 5 that pops up.
They must learn the skills assosiated with different ages: logic 3 and music 3 as toddlers, cooking 3, handiness 3, painting 5, logic 5 as children.
Teens must have gardening 3, athletic 3, music 5, charisma 5 before growing up. YA must have 3 good friends and a job before moving out! Teens can get a part time job.

3 chances for randomizing traits when growing up. Pick the second if its ok, you'll never know what the third will be...
If a Toddler who is adopted is aging up very soon, np you are excused. Or you can change its age.
Bonus if you manage to not grow an imaginary friend, let older children socialize with infants.

Win
Each child that moves out well raised awards 1 point, all children who not grow imaginary friend, 1 point.
Try to get as many you can before they are elders. You can continue with one of the children if you want.

Here is a good house for the challange if you have more than 8 sims: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail...assetId=7955413
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 3:22 PM
Is the racial element really necessary? This makes me really uncomfortable.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 5:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mammal
Is the racial element really necessary? This makes me really uncomfortable.

I dont understand you saying that, in africa this is neccesary, to take care and even adopt orphans.
The point of the challenge is that volunteers actually do more than just their job. Have their own babies
aswell is normal and then ofcourse raising them equally.
Like Angelina Jolie, she adopted by aiding causes. And intresting to find each child talents and boost them.
Instructor
#4 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 6:19 PM
Not all orphans are from Africa. There are orphans all over the world that come in a rainbow of skintones. So it's necessary to care for orphans everywhere. Not all of Angelina Jolie's adopted children are from Africa.
Though my main thing was how can you actually determine your adopted child's skintone? I'm pretty sure the game just gives you a child, you can only determine age and gender.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 7:35 PM Last edited by Sigune : 11th Jan 2014 at 4:36 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Luckk
Not all orphans are from Africa. There are orphans all over the world that come in a rainbow of skintones. So it's necessary to care for orphans everywhere. Not all of Angelina Jolie's adopted children are from Africa.
Though my main thing was how can you actually determine your adopted child's skintone? I'm pretty sure the game just gives you a child, you can only determine age and gender.

You dont understand you are not even close, this is not common adoption as i said its based on aid. And I had India as an example of areas.
You only think like americans, cant imagine there is other countries, who dont have the believe that as soon as racial things are mentioned, its rasistic.
And to choose skintone is to make game realistic. Its to care for them, not that they are lesser worth.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 7:47 PM
I got this idea from a male doctor who worked in an african hospital and adopting children, 17(!)
Instructor
#7 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 10:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sigune
You dont understand you are not even close this is not common adoption, as i said its based on aid, even more of people living in africa. And I had India as an example of areas.
You only think like americans, cant imagine there is other countries, who dont have the believe that as soon as racial things are mentioned, its rasistic.
And to choose skintone is to make game realistic, that you are in such a country, the other babies "dont exist". Its to care for them, not that they are lesser worth.

You realise not everyone in Africa has a dark skin tone, right?
And there is no possible way to choose a skin tone when adopting a kid.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 9th Jan 2014 at 2:51 AM Last edited by Mammal : 9th Jan 2014 at 3:04 AM.
I dont understand you saying that, in africa this is neccesary, to take care and even adopt orphans.
The point of the challenge is that volunteers actually do more than just their job. Have their own babies
aswell is normal and then ofcourse raising them equally.
Like Angelina Jolie, she adopted by aiding causes. And intresting to find each child talents and boost them.

I understand that in the real world, there are a lot of orphaned children in Africa and in India and in China and in all sorts of places in need of loving parents. But the Sims isn't the real world, and bringing the complex real-world issues of race, poverty, and international adoption into a fictional game is just...weird. It smacks of White Savior Complex, like you're so entrenched in real-world notions about race and about the necessity of saving brown people from themselves that you can't even picture a scenario where race wasn't crucial to the narrative of 'saving' impoverished orphans. You are, of course, entitled to run your Sims game however you damn well please, but I am entitled to criticize your usage of worn-out and historical inaccurate race tropes. I don't think what you said was racist because I'm an oversensitive American, I think what you said was racist because it was racist.

EDIT: That said, I don't think the challenge is necessarily bad, I'm just perplexed that you're insistently couching it in terms of "a nice, white, heterosexual couple (adhering to traditional gender roles!) raises a bunch of poor, black orphans" instead of saying "a couple raises a bunch of adopted kids." I understand the racial component is necessary for the narrative you, have constructed around the scenario, but why write the challenge in a way that closes off all other potential narratives? Even if the challenge was inspired by real people, why would you chose to close it off in the way you have? It's artificially constraining, and as I said, perplexing.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th Jan 2014 at 11:24 AM Last edited by Sigune : 9th Jan 2014 at 11:46 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by MistressTiffany
You realise not everyone in Africa has a dark skin tone, right?
And there is no possible way to choose a skin tone when adopting a kid.

You think im stupid? I know much about africa, thats why i wrote this. But you guys only know about US. Cant look beyond your backyard.
I was talking about the areas were they have why cant you get it? The white is normally rich, sadly enough.
I thought it was like when you pick animals of different breed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Jan 2014 at 11:32 AM Last edited by Sigune : 9th Jan 2014 at 1:27 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Mammal
I understand that in the real world, there are a lot of orphaned children in Africa and in India and in China and in all sorts of places in need of loving parents. But the Sims isn't the real world, and bringing the complex real-world issues of race, poverty, and international adoption into a fictional game is just...weird. It smacks of White Savior Complex, like you're so entrenched in real-world notions about race and about the necessity of saving brown people from themselves that you can't even picture a scenario where race wasn't crucial to the narrative of 'saving' impoverished orphans. You are, of course, entitled to run your Sims game however you damn well please, but I am entitled to criticize your usage of worn-out and historical inaccurate race tropes. I don't think what you said was racist because I'm an oversensitive American, I think what you said was racist because it was racist.

EDIT: That said, I don't think the challenge is necessarily bad, I'm just perplexed that you're insistently couching it in terms of "a nice, white, heterosexual couple (adhering to traditional gender roles!) raises a bunch of poor, black orphans" instead of saying "a couple raises a bunch of adopted kids." I understand the racial component is necessary for the narrative you, have constructed around the scenario, but why write the challenge in a way that closes off all other potential narratives? Even if the challenge was inspired by real people, why would you chose to close it off in the way you have? It's artificially constraining, and as I said, perplexing.

You can change the challenge the way you want, to a suburban helping center in your town etc. I think i have the right to mention colours without being a racist! I removed some of the racial elements, coz it was uneccesary.
Im upset of that its always "solo mum seduces whole city", Which here and zombie there, why no normal marriage? (But ofcourse you can ad 2-3 people if you want to make it look ethic)
And your challenge is full of evil it scared me, why are you not ashamed of complaining on mine.
Instructor
#11 Old 9th Jan 2014 at 3:34 PM
You think im stupid? I know much about africa, thats why i wrote this. But you guys only know about US. Cant look beyond your backyard.
I was talking about the areas were they have why cant you get it? The white is normally rich, sadly enough.
I thought it was like when you pick animals of different breed.

I know about Africa too. There is no populated continent that only has one skin tone for all the children that live there. And I find it pretty rude that you assume I 'only know about US.' I studied all the way in Argentina for two weeks. I'm learning Japanese so I can visit there one day. Please stop assuming you know this or that about people (and Africa), when you really don't.
And not really. You can pick the gender, the age and maybe the name, unless I'm wrong on that one.
Instructor
#12 Old 9th Jan 2014 at 3:38 PM
You can change the challenge the way you want, to a suburban helping center in your town etc. I think i have the right to mention colours without being a racist! I removed some of the racial elements, coz it was uneccesary.
Im upset of that its always "solo mum seduces whole city", Which here and zombie there, why no normal marriage? (But ofcourse you can ad 2-3 people if you want to make it look ethic)
And your challenge is full of evil it scared me, why are you not ashamed of complaining on mine.

I don't see why anyone should be 'ashamed' to 'complain' on yours. I also don't see why you try to attack someone else's challenge. It's not related to this challenge in any way.. why bring it up for any other purpose but to insult someone else?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#13 Old 9th Jan 2014 at 3:40 PM
When you throw something in about race that is completely unnecessary to the challenging aspects of the challenge, unrelated to the game, has no relation to any damn thing except some extremely controversial real-life race relations aspects... Yeah, actually, you can expect people to go, "Um, what?"

I suggest editing that bit out of your first post, or just starting over without that in it, and I can archive this thread. Otherwise, people are just gonna keep going, "What the hell?" and... I ain't gonna stop them because, well, I went a bit

... at that bit myself.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
#14 Old 9th Jan 2014 at 6:29 PM
...I thought it was like when you pick animals of different breed.

It isn't. it's completely random, minus the gender and age.
Why can't we just adopt any child we want? Then again, it would sound like the Adoptacy challenge.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 18th Feb 2014 at 8:45 PM
Guys. It's a challenge. I'm not taking sides, or trying to make you guys be BFFS, but please stop arguing. I know this is quite an old thread, but I just wanted to tell you guys. I'm not trying to get into an argument, or barge in on this, because this isn't my argument, but please stop arguing