Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th May 2020 at 12:34 PM
Default Only randomness is Free Challenge
This is a variant of the "Nothing is Free" Challenge (link here) and the "Random Legacy" challenge (link here). I noticed at the bottom of "Nothing is Free" it has a very basic very broad guideline to combine with a random legacy challenge I decided to combine the two challenges in a more logical way, making the lot unlocks themselves random (while still preventing impossible stuff in gen 1 and gen 2), and expanding the rules for siblings to unlock stuff to make it faster, and making so the challenge a definitive "Goal" rather then a vague one. I also modified the roles, removed "Misc. Fun" and turned the generation goals into something a bit more measurable.

Keep in mind I'm still beta testing this ruleset so it's subject to modification and stuff. Let me know what you guys thinks I know the Sims 3 is an old game so making a new challenge for it like this is weird but I'm a weird person.

As the rules here are quite long as to not overwhelm the forum I have two Google Documents prepared

Challenge Rules

Challenge Rolls
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 26th May 2020 at 11:09 AM
Well I'm gonna go and starting the party here and post my playthrough that I'm doing right now

Generation 1.1

Let me know what you guys think if you read it!
Test Subject
#3 Old 27th May 2020 at 3:10 PM
You know, I was looking for something to make just like this. I'm starting a huge hybrid between Build a world + Apocalypse Challenge... but now Thinking in throwing some Random legacy + Nothing is for free.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th May 2020 at 3:35 PM
Good to know someone else finds this idea interesting.

Update to the play-through I'm doing.

Generation 1.2
Test Subject
#5 Old 28th May 2020 at 2:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by weso12
Good to know someone else finds this idea interesting.

Update to the play-through I'm doing.

Generation 1.2

I "love" all the horses special appearances
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th May 2020 at 12:17 PM Last edited by weso12 : 29th May 2020 at 1:11 PM.
Thanks for the nice words

Generation 1.3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Jun 2022 at 9:03 AM
Reviving a dead topic because I got inspired to start over with this

Generation 1.1
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Jun 2022 at 6:27 AM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Jun 2022 at 12:28 AM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Jun 2022 at 2:46 AM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Jun 2022 at 4:12 AM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Jun 2022 at 10:26 PM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Jun 2022 at 8:32 AM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th Jun 2022 at 1:32 AM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 17th Jun 2022 at 4:42 AM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 21st Jun 2022 at 11:59 PM
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 22nd Oct 2022 at 7:49 PM
Hey, I was looking at this, and decided to put the unlock lots into a spreadsheet. There doesn't seem to be any requirements for unlocking the different bars (Sports, Local Watering Hole, Dive). The original rules specify that you have to master Mixology and purchase the lot.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 29th Oct 2022 at 10:34 PM
So far, my feedback on this is that it is not terribly fun. My founder still hasn't unlocked the police station, because that requires mastering 3 skills. His wife is now an elder and just finished her second skill to unlock the military base. It is seemingly impossible to place the necessary lot for the base in Sunset Valley.

I know that I could just build a building and use a rabbit hole rug. I don't have those installed right now, as I started up a game with minimal CC installed. I'm just so frustrated and upset with this right now that I don't know if I'll even come back to it.

It is likely that my issues are with the rules from the original "nothing is free" part of this, and not with your modifications, but I'm just super frustrated right now.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 4th Nov 2022 at 10:04 PM Last edited by weso12 : 5th Nov 2022 at 7:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by FreakyRufus
So far, my feedback on this is that it is not terribly fun. My founder still hasn't unlocked the police station, because that requires mastering 3 skills. His wife is now an elder and just finished her second skill to unlock the military base. It is seemingly impossible to place the necessary lot for the base in Sunset Valley.

I know that I could just build a building and use a rabbit hole rug. I don't have those installed right now, as I started up a game with minimal CC installed. I'm just so frustrated and upset with this right now that I don't know if I'll even come back to it.

It is likely that my issues are with the rules from the original "nothing is free" part of this, and not with your modifications, but I'm just super frustrated right now.

Sorry about the lack of fun you had, to clarify their is an option in edit town to add lots of custom sizes (their's also a simple mod listed to add customize sizes if you so desire) and go into edit building place the building for the lot, sorry I didn't explain it well.

But I guess i'm just a weird for enjoying this but I guess i'm a wierdo. I mostly designed this for myself and decided to share this in case anyone would enjoy it.

I am currently on like gen 8 of a place through I'm working on right now.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 6th Nov 2022 at 8:34 PM
Sorry about the lack of fun you had, to clarify their is an option in edit town to add lots of custom sizes (their's also a simple mod listed to add customize sizes if you so desire) and go into edit building place the building for the lot, sorry I didn't explain it well.

But I guess i'm just a weird for enjoying this but I guess i'm a wierdo. I mostly designed this for myself and decided to share this in case anyone would enjoy it.

I am currently on like gen 8 of a place through I'm working on right now.

The largest lot that I could get to actually fit in the space where the military base originally was located was (I think) 50 x 50, and that wasn't big enough to let me put down the base building. I guess I could have possibly put the lot somewhere else, I didn't see anything in the rules about where unlocked lots go (if they are supposed to be where they originally were, or just anywhere at all).

What I ended up doing (which is sort of against the rules, but within the rules of the Nothing is Free challenge), was to create a new town where all the lots were bulldozed of the buildings, but the lots were kept and community lots were marked as No Visitors, then I saved my family to the library and imported them into that town. Then I placed the base back in its original location. Since doing that, I've actually had a lot of fun playing it.

My first gen goal is "Studious Household", and after building the military base, I sent the wife to University. Since the rules don't mention anything about it, I took full advantage of getting financial assistance, and she ended up graduating with her degree and with a ton of extra cash. She got a good job at the military base with her degree, and between her salary there, the heir's writing skill (for his unlock), the pet dog's hunting for gems, etc., the founder no longer has to crank out paintings to sell just to pay the bills. His stupid unlock requires three skills, and he is just now about halfway through the third with about 8 days left before he becomes an elder. They just might barely squeak by on finishing the first gen goal.

I did have a question about the allowable ways to make money based on skills. For logic, it says you can make money from the telescope, but what about chess? Can you challenge ranked opponents for money? Or eventually enter the chess tournament when you have a big enough town for that to show up? Or enter the sports competition at the stadium, or similar events? Those aren't necessarily opportunities like the ones where you get a phone call asking you to do some task.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 6th Nov 2022 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FreakyRufus
The largest lot that I could get to actually fit in the space where the military base originally was located was (I think) 50 x 50, and that wasn't big enough to let me put down the base building. I guess I could have possibly put the lot somewhere else, I didn't see anything in the rules about where unlocked lots go (if they are supposed to be where they originally were, or just anywhere at all).

What I ended up doing (which is sort of against the rules, but within the rules of the Nothing is Free challenge), was to create a new town where all the lots were bulldozed of the buildings, but the lots were kept and community lots were marked as No Visitors, then I saved my family to the library and imported them into that town. Then I placed the base back in its original location. Since doing that, I've actually had a lot of fun playing it.

My first gen goal is "Studious Household", and after building the military base, I sent the wife to University. Since the rules don't mention anything about it, I took full advantage of getting financial assistance, and she ended up graduating with her degree and with a ton of extra cash. She got a good job at the military base with her degree, and between her salary there, the heir's writing skill (for his unlock), the pet dog's hunting for gems, etc., the founder no longer has to crank out paintings to sell just to pay the bills. His stupid unlock requires three skills, and he is just now about halfway through the third with about 8 days left before he becomes an elder. They just might barely squeak by on finishing the first gen goal.

I did have a question about the allowable ways to make money based on skills. For logic, it says you can make money from the telescope, but what about chess? Can you challenge ranked opponents for money? Or eventually enter the chess tournament when you have a big enough town for that to show up? Or enter the sports competition at the stadium, or similar events? Those aren't necessarily opportunities like the ones where you get a phone call asking you to do some task.

I genuinely didn't know that chess could make money but it is allowed for sims that can make money based on logic. Since town based oppournities are still kind of random I'll allow that for all sims.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 6th Nov 2022 at 11:30 PM
I genuinely didn't know that chess could make money but it is allowed for sims that can make money based on logic. Since town based oppournities are still kind of random I'll allow that for all sims.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that sims earn a bit of money whenever they win a ranked match.