Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jun 2020 at 10:35 PM
Default Lack of Direction of what to do in a Progressive City Evolution Playstyle
So I started a new save in a world where the games starts with no rabbit holes, which I decide to overtime gradually unlock overtime by meeting certain criteria. Problem is, I haven't thought of any ruleset as what these criteria might be for each individual rabbit hole. Any ideas?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Jun 2020 at 1:23 AM
Sounds rather unplayable to me as the game was not designed to operate like this? What happens for the kids? Does a schoolbus come and cannot take them anywhere? Does it not even come? I can imagine so many problems. This seems more like a Sim City, a city building game, scenario where things are unlocked as you progress rather than how this game was designed to function? These games were not designed to be city builders.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 29th Jun 2020 at 4:24 AM
Isn't that like the Nothing is free challenge?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Jun 2020 at 4:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Sounds rather unplayable to me as the game was not designed to operate like this? What happens for the kids? Does a schoolbus come and cannot take them anywhere? Does it not even come? I can imagine so many problems. This seems more like a Sim City, a city building game, scenario where things are unlocked as you progress rather than how this game was designed to function? These games were not designed to be city builders.

Well you certaintly have not played this way if you think it makes the game "unplayable". Not asking What If, but I'm asking How If.

Quote: Originally posted by 310175
Isn't that like the Nothing is free challenge?

Seen it, but I don't like that guy of progressive as it's based primary on simoleons and skills only, but I'm looking for something on more alternative side.

Instructor
#5 Old 29th Jun 2020 at 8:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
So I started a new save in a world where the games starts with no rabbit holes, which I decide to overtime gradually unlock overtime by meeting certain criteria. Problem is, I haven't thought of any ruleset as what these criteria might be for each individual rabbit hole. Any ideas?

Sounds like a SimCity playstyle to me which can be pretty interesting. In SimCity you unlock the community-functional buildings like the school and library as the population and your budget grows. There was a popular challenge in Sims 2 that was similar like this: the BACC - Build a City Challenge. I didn't play it, I just read about it here: https://pleasantsims.com/sims-2-build-a-city-challenge/
Although it's a Sims 2 challenge, it might give you ideas?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Jun 2020 at 2:59 PM
I was thinking about this last night for some reason. Hopefully some folks who understand more of how this game works under the hood than I do can post here and let us know more. I was wondering about teens trying to age to young adults with no proms or graduations?

How does the game generate burglars? If there is one would police come if there is no police rabbithole? If so, where they would go when they leave? I have never watched a police car leave, but my avatar here was evil. She was arrested many times and hauled off to jail to spend days there. She was taken to the police station. If there is not a police station what would happen?

I am curious and would worry that the game would lag or jam as there are sequences/actions that the game is trying to complete and cannot do them? It would just keep recycling them, like a Sim stuck with a routing block? Had that create major problems in a world when a mixologist could not get to work.

I am sure there are others here who know more about how the game functions and can weigh in on this. I will be curious to see what is said.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 29th Jun 2020 at 4:02 PM
I would assume that either there would be no burglars or the police will come but then they all disappear into the other as part of the homeless population?
As to no school. No school, no schooling, no prom. With NRAAS Careers, you can do home schooling. No need for a school. I would expect that there is no school bus if there is no school.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 29th Jun 2020 at 4:47 PM
No Schools = No Education Requirement. So thus no school buses, nowhere for children and teens to be during what would otherwise be school days, they will grow up uneducated and not have learned lessons concerning senseless conformity, dealing with incompetents in positions of authority, how to bully/survive bullying, how to consume a barely edible school lunch without becoming ill, no dumbing down and boring the socks off of the smartest kids so as not to disturb the normal curve...basically the next generation will be a bunch of stupid misfits unable to function in or contribute to society properly. You know, I think I've done this rant here before...

Let me start again.

No Schools = No Education Requirement. Nothing horrible happens, but there are no school buses, nowhere for children and teens to be during what would otherwise be school days, no proms, school-based opportunities, or graduations. They will age up to YAs just fine although more of them will probably pick up random traits rather than those deemed to be positive ones since School Performance will be 0 across the board for everyone. Graduation ceremonies don't happen, if they are going to, until after they become YAs anyway. Note that the WA worlds don't have schools or any of these rabbit holes either unless we provide them, and sims there can function and to some extent progress without them as well.

No City Hall = no political careers of course, but also no self-employed professions and no NRaas Careers Mod Homeschooling because these require a City Hall to manage. A Homeschooled sim's "school" is technically City Hall even if they were registered by way of a computer.

No Police Station has no impact on burglars. The burglars and the police that are dispatched to respond to them are (homeless) NPC Service Sims, not career criminals and law enforcement. It's the same with not having a Fire Station but still getting the Service Sim firefighters who respond to calls/alarms when there is a fire or not having any LN bars but still getting a Mixologist Service Sim when ordering one up for a party. I don't remember what happens with sims who would be incarcerated if there is no jail, they are probably given a stern talking to, fined, and let go.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 29th Jun 2020 at 8:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
No Schools = No Education Requirement. So thus no school buses ...

Good clarification about these items! Thank you! And well put. Gave you a helpful and funny.
Was hoping you would chime in here, and you did.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 6:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix

Just as a really rough idea: could you find a way to replicate the people in town having to physically build the buildings? Like start the world with a small number of families. When several of them get a little skill with handiness and some extra funds, you could say the town got together and built the building (this would probably work best with the rabbit hole rugs and doors so the building looks like something people built by hand). If you used MasterController, you could even subtract the cost for the lot across the families (like everyone chipped in to build it). As time goes on, they could make the lot better (like some of them get some gardening and now they can plant trees and flowers).

That way it would be somewhat tied to skills and money, but the whole burden wouldn't fall just on one family. It would also make the town look it's having to be built up (the school lot starts as a one room school house and not the standard rabbit hole).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 9:12 PM
I believe, in theory, you should be able to accomplish this to residential lots with Architectural Designer profession. Have Sim join it, and If using build mode while in renovation mode doesn't punish the player, then you could use that for empty lots that have Sims living in them.