Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Aug 2020 at 6:42 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Can I save created sims in Bodyshop without packing them?
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Title says it all, the reason I don't want to package my sims is because when I unpack the sim their custom content comes out doubled since I already have it in my game and it's super annoying to have to delete all of them for each unpacked sim. So, is it possible to save sims that were created in bodyshop somehow without packing them? Like, is there a folder or something that they are maybe already held in?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 11th Aug 2020 at 7:38 PM
If sims are for your own game, do not need to package them, just save the sims and then look for them in ingame CAS, by default Bodyshop sims and items are saved in the folder users\your username\documents\EA games\the sims 2\saved sims\.

From now on I'm just a lurker, the sad truth about the Orwellian status of the sims community is not "off-topic" neither is "politics".
Check part of my current (non sims) creations at my J.R.'s Angels page
Mad Poster
#3 Old 11th Aug 2020 at 9:40 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 11th Aug 2020 at 9:52 PM.
If you ever wonder, sims are the package files in the SavedSims folder that have 8+8 random digits in Hex values (numbers 0-9 and letters A-F), each block of 8 separated with an underscore ( _ ). They'll be generated when you make a sim, and will be added to a sims2pack file when you package a sim (but will still exist in the SavedSims folder until you move or delete it).

These files are the face templates of individual sims made in Bodyshop, and they also include references to the CAS items that go with the sim (but not the actual items, of course).

One example of a filename can be
6fd9e326_1e98b7e1.package

These files can be kept in SavedSims, or moved to Downloads. You can pack them or not (the game can't read Sims2packs). It can be a good idea to pack sims if there's a lot of CC involved (so you don't lose track of it if you want to keep the sim for later use, uploading or backups), but if it's a CC-free sim it really doesn't matter much if you just keep the SavedSims file or package the sim, because it's the same file you're dealing with (stick the package file in a folder with the sims' name on and a picture, and that's a good enough backup of a CC-free sim).

When you package or install sims, there will be one such package file in each Sims2pack file. If there isn't or there's just one file but it's called something else, it's either not a sim, or it's a "bad" sim (could be a sim extracted from ingame and not cloned properly in Bodyshop - don't use that file!).
Forum Resident
#4 Old 12th Aug 2020 at 3:38 AM
And you can always rename those 8x8 random names created in Saved Sims to something more meaningful if you want to.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Aug 2020 at 12:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If you ever wonder, sims are the package files in the SavedSims folder that have 8+8 random digits in Hex values (numbers 0-9 and letters A-F), each block of 8 separated with an underscore ( _ ). They'll be generated when you make a sim, and will be added to a sims2pack file when you package a sim (but will still exist in the SavedSims folder until you move or delete it).

These files are the face templates of individual sims made in Bodyshop, and they also include references to the CAS items that go with the sim (but not the actual items, of course).

One example of a filename can be
6fd9e326_1e98b7e1.package

These files can be kept in SavedSims, or moved to Downloads. You can pack them or not (the game can't read Sims2packs). It can be a good idea to pack sims if there's a lot of CC involved (so you don't lose track of it if you want to keep the sim for later use, uploading or backups), but if it's a CC-free sim it really doesn't matter much if you just keep the SavedSims file or package the sim, because it's the same file you're dealing with (stick the package file in a folder with the sims' name on and a picture, and that's a good enough backup of a CC-free sim).

When you package or install sims, there will be one such package file in each Sims2pack file. If there isn't or there's just one file but it's called something else, it's either not a sim, or it's a "bad" sim (could be a sim extracted from ingame and not cloned properly in Bodyshop - don't use that file!).

Thank you so much! ♡ Problem is solved.