Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 6:52 AM Last edited by my4monkeys25 : 9th Oct 2010 at 3:01 AM. Reason: added things
Default A Hand on My Shoulder - The Life of Todd Franklin (completed)
This is my first story, so bear with me! It starts off a little fuzzy, but hang in there... it gets better!

This is the story of Todd Franklin, a 24 year old guy living on his own. He grew up in a small town just north of Riverblossom Hills with his mother. His father left them when Todd was just a baby. His mother raised him the best she could as a single mother in a small town. Because he was raised by his mother, he learned how to clean, take care of a house, and most of all, cook. His mother was an excellent cook with a collection of her own very unique and tasty recipes. She taught Todd everything she knew about cooking. When Todd was only 17, his mother died in a tragic car accident. He went to live with his aunt, the only other family he had. He stayed with them for a while trying his best to call the place home. Seven years after moving in, his aunt planned to remarry and told Todd he would have to find his own place. He was forced to quit his job as a dishwasher and move to Riverblossom Hills, the only place he could find quickly.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Because he didn’t have much money, his options were very limited. He found a neighborhood in Riverblossom Hills that rented trailers for low prices. Although they were cheap, Todd didn’t have enough money for the down payment on any of their nicer trailers. They showed him a small trailer toward the back of the neighborhood. The house was run down and dirty, and they said they couldn’t make anyone pay to live there. They told him he could stay for free in exchange for fixing the place up. Todd agreed, and soon moved in with his dog and his best buddy, Jake.

He lived there for about 2 months, looking for a job and trying to get on his feet. Money was running low and jobs were scarce. He was losing hope of ever finding a stable life. He passed by his neighbors a lot of the time, but never really talked to any of them. Todd was shy and preferred to stay to himself.

One afternoon, some folks from the trailer court office stopped by. “Todd, we let you move into this trailer for free because it needs so much work. Now the conditions were for you to fix the place up in the meantime.” A lady with a very expensive coat said. “You’ve been here for a while now and it looks to me like you haven’t fixed a thing! Not to mention the holes that your dog has dug in the front lawn! When do you plan on starting?” Todd got nervous. “I’m sorry, I want to fix it up ma’am, I just don’t have much money right now and I’m having a hard time finding work.” He looked around. “I promise just as soon as I get on my feet I’ll have this place looking great!” The lady looked unamused. She looked at Jake and turned up her nose. “We’ll see about that.” Todd followed her to the door only to see a strange looking woman standing outside.

She didn't look like one of the office folks. "You look rather lonely here. How about letting me set you up on a blind date? For a few dollars, I can find you someone to share this place with!" Todd hung his head. "I don't have much money, ma'am." He said quietly. "Otherwise I would say yes." The gypsy smiled. "Well, how much have you got?" Todd dug into his pockets. "Well, I've only got about 30 bucks I can spend. I'm trying to save money until I find some work around here." The gypsy caressed his arm. "What could be more important than finding love, my dear?" He pulled the money out of his pocket and hesitantly handed it to her. The gypsy snatched the money out of his hand. "Well, with this kind of money, I can't promise anything, Todd."

The gypsy gazed into her ball, said a few words Todd didn't understand, and suddenly there was a beautiful, sweet looking blonde woman with pigtails standing before him. Shyly, she took his hand. "My name is Madeline." She said. Todd was at a loss for words. "I'm... um, I'm..." The gypsy walked by them. "This is Todd. Have a nice evening you two." Then she left.

"Yes, Todd. My name is Todd." He looked down at the ground for a moment. "I'm new to this town" Madeline said. "I don't know very many people yet, so..." She smiled. "So what do you get when you cross a chicken and a donkey?" They both laughed. She looked into his eyes and smiled. It was the most beautiful smile Todd had ever seen. All of a sudden, he felt like he'd known her for years. He started talking about where he grew up, his family that he never sees, and how he'd love to find a good career in this town but never could find the means. She held on to every word.

Chapter 2 coming soon.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 12:24 AM
Default Meeting Fate

Madeline shivered. “it’s a little cold out here” she said “do you think we could go inside?” Todd’s heart stopped for a moment. He knew what the trailer looked like on the inside, and it certainly wasn’t fit for a lady. “Are you sure? I think it’s kind of nice out…” Madeline was walking to his front door. He ran up the stairs behind her. “I, well.. I…don’t have much…” he stuttered as she walked in. Madeline gasped. Todd put his head in his hands. It’s over, he thought. “Oh my gosh what a cute dog!” She ran over to Jake and patted his head. Jake looked up at her with a sort-of confused look on his face. “Oh no. He doesn’t like me?” Madeline asked. Todd looked up with relief and surprise. “It’s not that. He’s just not used to having visitors, especially ones that aren’t afraid to touch him.”

Madeline made herself comfortable on his couch. Todd was shocked that she was still here. “Are you hungry?” He asked. “Oh man, I’m starving!” She said. Todd pulled out some meat and began making his special recipe burgers. Madeline watched him mixing the ingredients. “What? You mean you can cook more than a TV dinner?” She laughed. Todd blushed. “Yes, ma’am. My mom taught me everything she knew about cooking before she died.” Madeline’s face turned sad. “Oh, I’m sorry to hear that, Todd. I bet you miss her so much.” Todd thought for a second about his mother. She would be so proud to see him cooking for a nice woman like Madeline. “Yes, I do. She always told me that when someone you love someone, they‘re always with you somehow. She told me to just imagine their hand on my shoulder and I‘ll feel their love in my heart.” He took a deep breath. “I think about it now, when I’m going through a tough time that’s what I do. I imagine her hand on my shoulder.” Madeline smiled at him, comforted by his thoughts. “Wow, that is so sweet. She must have been a wonderful woman.” Todd went back to making his burgers. “She was.”

Todd pulled out the guest chair that had never been used and pulled it up to the table. Madeline sat down as he pushed it to the table for her. “Thank you, Todd.” she smiled. Todd bit into his burger. “So what do you do for a living, Madeline?” Madeline fidgeted with her apron. “Well, I’ve been cleaning houses for some folks around here until I can find a steady job.” Todd could tell she felt embarrassed. “Hey, there’s nothing wrong with that!” he smiled and looked around his trailer. “I’d hire you myself if I could afford you!” They laughed. Madeline looked at his kitchen. “It’s not that bad, Todd. Just needs a woman’s touch.” She smiled at him and took a bite of her burger. Todd felt like he would melt into the floor. He tried to hold himself back from asking her to marry him right then and there. This is way too good to be true, he thought.

After they ate, Todd suggested they watch some TV. He cut it on and flipped through the channels. Madeline said “Wait, leave it here. I love this show!” Todd smiled. “Really? So do I! I usually don’t like reality shows, but this one seems so interesting. Except for the Jill girl. She seems so…” Madeline chimed in and they said at the same time “….fake and spoiled!” They looked at each other and laughed. They stopped and gazed into each other’s eyes for a moment. Todd leaned in to her and Madeline started toward him. Suddenly she stopped. “I.. I.. have to go.” She jumped up from the couch and walked to the door. “It was great to meet you, Todd. I really hope we can hang out again.” She said very casually. “Thanks so much for the burgers. Your mom really taught you well.” Before Todd could even say goodbye she hurried out the door and down the sidewalk. Todd sat for a moment in shock. Did I do something wrong? He thought. I moved to fast, I bet. Why would such a nice girl like her be interested in me, anyway? Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. “Come on, Jake. Let’s call it a night.” He cut the lights off and went to bed.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 12:44 AM
Default What Dreams are Made Of

Todd awoke the next morning thinking about Madeline. I wonder what she’s doing today? He thought. He walked outside and saw Jake’s mess. He began filling in one of the holes. “Jake, buddy, you’ve got to stop this or we’re going to get thrown out of here!” he patted the dog’s head. Todd picked up what was left of the newspaper and brought it inside. He fingered through the help wanted section with a heavy heart. “I don’t even know WHAT I want to do.” He said out loud, frustrated. “The only thing I can do well is cook.“ He threw the paper down. “Who’s gonna want a guy like me cooking for them, Jake?” The dog laid on the floor chewing his bone. “I know man, I’m pathetic.” Todd said.

Just then the phone rang. “Who in the world could that be, Jake?” Todd didn’t have any real friends to speak of, and no family that would bother to call. He picked up the receiver. “Hello?” “Todd? It’s me, Madeline. I hope you don’t mind. I got your number from the lady at the trailer court office.” Todd’s mouth fell open in shock. “No, no of course I don’t mind!” He smiled from ear to ear, giving Jake a thumbs up. The dog just stared. “What’s up?” He heard what sounded like traffic in the background. “I hate to ask you this, but I locked myself out of my apartment and the locksmith won’t be here for a while.” He heard the sound of children laughing through the phone. Was she calling from a pay phone? “Do you mind if I come to your place until they get here?” She paused. “It’s pretty cold out here this afternoon.” Todd wanted to jump up and down. “Um, sure! Of course!” He said, trying not to sound too excited. “Are you sure? I don’t want to impose.” Madeline said. “I’m positive. Come on over!” Todd hung up. “YES! Jake, did you hear that? She’s coming over!” He ran to get dressed.

Madeline showed up just a few moments later. “Wow,” Todd said, “that was fast!” Madeline blushed. “Yeah, I had already walked to the shopping center but it got so cold. I stopped at a pay phone to call you.” She looked at her feet. Her lips and fingers were a bit blue. I didn‘t think it was that cold out, Todd thought, she must have been walking for a while. “I really hope you don’t mind. I don’t know anyone else around here, and I really didn’t want to call the people that I clean for.” Todd smiled. “I don’t mind a bit. Jake and I didn’t have any plans for today.” He looked out the window at the sunshine. “Are you hungry?” He asked. Madeline put her hands on her belly. “I am a little hungry, but I hate to make you cook for me again.” They laughed. “I don’t mind cooking for you,” he said, “but I don’t have many groceries here. Let’s go grab a bite to eat from the diner!” Madeline looked away from him. She started to look uneasy. “Well… my money is locked in my house…” Todd stopped her. “Shh… don’t worry about it! I’ll pay for you!” This was good enough of an emergency for him.

They walked through the trailer park to the diner. There was a big “closed” sign on the front door. “Well dang!” Todd said. “What kind of diner is closed on Tuesdays!” Madeline crossed her arms, trying to stay warm in her dress. Todd wondered why she didn’t have a coat. “That’s ok, Todd. I know! Let’s grab a pack of hot dogs from the general store and go to the park!” Todd hung his head. “I was hoping to take you out for a hot meal though.” Madeline grabbed his hand. “Come on! It’ll be fun!” They walked to the store and then to the park. It was very quiet and a bit cold, but the sun was shining so bright that it looked like summertime. They found a nice spot with a picnic table and a grill. Todd walked over and started cooking up the hot dogs. “It really is beautiful out here.” Madeline said, standing close to Todd. He didn’t know if she was trying to get close to him or just staying warm by the grill but he didn’t care. She smelled so nice, even better than the fresh pine trees in the park. “The hot dogs look ready to me” he said “ let’s sit down over here and eat.” He pulled the chair out for her. “Todd, I just don’t know what to think about your good manners!” She smiled. “You don’t see that much anymore. Did your mother teach you that as well?” They laughed. “I’m real glad we did this, Madeline.” Todd said. “Me too.” said Madeline. He watched her bite into her hot dog.

Todd looked around at the park. “This is my first time at this park. It really is nice! I bet it’s a great place to bring kids.” he said. Madeline looked up from her plate. “Do you want kids someday, Todd?” He gazed off at the swing sets and see saws. He had always dreamed of having a real family one day, but never thought it would happen for him. “I’d love kids, but I just don’t feel like I’m in a position to give them what they would need living the way I do. I just kind of gave up on the idea.” Madeline gave him a sympathetic look. “Don’t give up, Todd. You never know what life can bring.” She touched his had. Her touch was so warm to him he thought about throwing his coat in the lake. “Hey!” she said “look over there, someone left a couple of fishing poles behind! Do you want to try and catch the big one?” He laughed. “I’m no good at fishing, but if you catch it, I’ll cook it!” They got up. “Deal!” Madeline said, running toward the pond. Todd stood next to Madeline as they fished. Madeline was shivering a bit so Todd offered her his coat. “That’s so sweet, Todd, thank you.“ she said as she put on his coat. They laughed and talked like they’d known each other for years. He was so comfortable around her. Man, he thought, this is what dreams are made of. What if Madeline was the one? What if we had a family together? He tried to shake the thought out of his mind. Nah, she’s too good.

“Well, I’d better go Todd. The locksmith should be there any minute. Thanks so much for such a fun afternoon.” She looked into his eyes and smiled. Todd wanted to kiss her so bad but he was afraid. “Sure Madeline, anytime.” She handed his coat back to him and walked away from the pond. His eyes followed her through the park and down the sidewalk. He wondered if this was the last time he’d see her. I don’t even have her phone number, he thought. He walked back home alone. The ora of loneliness consumed him as soon as he walked in the trailer. He walked into the living room, stepping over newspapers and turned on the TV. “I should have told her how I feel. I’m such an idiot.” He said to himself. “Now look at me.” Jake was barking outside. Suddenly he picked up his head. He looked around his dirty, empty trailer. “What exactly do I have to lose? I’m going to go try and find her!” Todd cut the TV off, grabbed his coat and started out the door. He cursed the door knob as he tried to pull the door shut. “This stupid trailer.” He walked down the front steps to the corner of the house. Just as he turned to walk down the sidewalk he heard a voice. “Todd? Are you leaving?” He turned around and saw Madeline! “Hey! Um, no, not exactly. I was just… coming out for some air!” He walked over to her. She crossed her arms like she was cold. “Are you sure? If you’re getting ready to leave that’s fine, I just stopped by… they haven’t fixed my door yet so…” She looked around nervously. “I’ll just walk back to the general store for a bit.” She turned around. Todd hurried to her. “No, wait! I’m not leaving, swear!” He stepped over a hole that Jake had dug. “Come on inside! Our show’s getting ready to come on!” Madeline smiled. “Ok. Sounds good.” they walked inside together.

Jake sniffed her as she walked by. “You’re just a good old dog, aren’t you Jake?” Madeline said, patting him on the head. They walked into the living room and cut on the TV. “I know it’s no big screen, but the picture’s always been real good here.” Todd said. Madeline laughed. “It’s perfect. I don’t have cable at home so I don’t get to watch it at all anymore.” She fumbled through the channels. “Who really needs a big screen anyway?” He smiled. She sat next to him on his couch watching the show and laughing. Todd tried to watch it with her, but all he could focus on was her. She finally took notice. She turned to him and grinned. “What is it?” Todd blushed and looked down. “I’m sorry. I just… you… I can’t…” He stood up, embarrassed. She got up from the couch and stood next to him. His heart pounded as she looked into his eyes.

She took his hand in hers and gently touched his face with the other. “Todd, what is it?” She moved closer to him. His heart was thumping so hard he just knew she could hear it. His hands started to sweat as she got closer to him. Todd gazed into her eyes as she stood in front of him, his hand in hers. Her touch was so warm and inviting, he didn’t know whether to grab her and hug her or run away. He was so comfortable and so scared at the same time. Madeline stepped even closer to him and put his hand on her waist. They were so close, Todd wanted to kiss her but he just couldn’t move. He felt paralyzed. What am I doing? He thought.

Just then, before he could think anymore, Madeline pulled him in to her and gave him the sweetest kiss he’d ever had. Suddenly all of his worries were gone, all his fears and troubles out into the wind. She smelled so sweet, like spring in the mountains. He wanted to live this moment forever with her, just like this. She pulled back, still deep into his eyes. Todd thought about asking her to stay. He tried to dig up the courage. “Do… do you…” he started. Madeline looked up at the clock. “Oh my gosh, I have to go.” She quickly fixed her dress and hurried toward the door. “I’m sorry Todd. Maybe I’ll see you soon?” Madeline said as she opened the door and walked out. Todd stood there, frozen. “….want to stay here tonight?” he whispered as she shut the door behind her. He sighed. Too little, too late, he thought.

When the feeling came back into his legs, he walked into the kitchen and grabbed a bag of chips. He sat down at the kitchen table, looking at the empty chair beside him. “Why is she always in such a hurry to leave?” He said to himself. “Well, I wouldn’t want to stay here if I were her either.” He crumbled up the bag and threw it in the trash. “I guess I’d better get used to being alone.” Just then Jake ran over to him and licked his hand. “Oh yeah, buddy. I’m not alone, am I?” He rubbed Jake’s belly. “I know I’ll always have you.” He walked back into the living room and laid down the couch, Jake at his feet.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 1:09 PM
Default Too Good to be True

The next morning, Todd woke up to the sound of Jake sounding like he was tearing something up in the front yard. “Shoot! That darn dog!” He threw some clothes on and ran outside. “Dagone it, Jake! I told you to stop tearing up the…” He looked to his left and there was Madeline, like he was still in a dream. He rubbed his eyes to make sure he was awake. “Madeline?” She smiled a big, friendly smile and walked up to him. “Hey Todd! I didn’t mean to wake you. I saw Jake and we were playing fetch for a few minutes. He’s a feisty old dog!” Todd was so happy he forgot all about the trash and holes in the yard. He reached out and took her hands. “I’m so happy to see you this morning. When you left last night, I thought…” he stopped and looked at the ground. Madeline squeezed his hands. “I’m sorry, Todd. I shouldn’t have left like that.” she gently touched his chin and pulled his face to hers. “but I’m here now.” She gave him a soft kiss. “and if you don’t mind, I could really use some of that famous recipe oatmeal that you told me about.” Todd was still convincing himself that this was not a dream. “Of course! I’m pretty hungry myself. Let’s go inside away from Jake’s mess and have some breakfast.” Jake looked up at the two of them like this was his plan all along.

The two of them walked inside, still holding hands. Madeline sat down at the table while Todd started cooking the oatmeal. Todd stirred the pot slowly, taking in the scent of the cinnamon and thinking about his mother. “You know, Todd, have you ever thought about putting all of your mother’s recipes to good use?” Madeline said, almost as if she were reading his mind. He poured them each a bowl and sat down. “What do you mean? I thought this was good use.” He smiled as he took a big bite. Madeline tasted hers. “Oh yeah, this definitely is.” She laughed. “but what about using these recipes and your talent to do something special? Something your mother would be proud of? You have a gift, Todd. I imagine your mother would have wanted you to use it.” Todd continued to eat, taking her words to heart. He looked down at his bowl. I just don’t know if I could… I mean, who‘s gonna want a guy like me cooking for them?” he stopped eating and played with his spoon. Madeline reached out and touched his hand. “You are a good person, Todd. You could do so much in this life, I know that you could. You just need to realize it yourself.” He looked up at her, holding her hand in his. It had been a long time since someone had said those things to him. His mother was the only other soul to ever believe in him, and when she died he lost all self-esteem with her. It was almost as if his mother was directing this from up above. Suddenly he felt full of courage. He looked straight at Madeline and said “you know, Madeline, you are the first person in a long time to make me feel this way. Just when I felt like my life was pointless and going nowhere, you came along and gave me hope. Gave me something to wake up for every morning.” He took a deep breath. “I feel like life is worth living now and I owe that all to you.” Madeline sat for a second, just looking at him without saying a word. Finally she said “but Todd, I didn’t do anything…” she started. Todd took her other hand into his. “You did everything.” he said.

She smiled her warm, big smile. He felt another rush of courage come over him. He stood up, bringing her with him. He pulled her over to him with one swift movement, sweeping her off her feet with a long, passionate kiss. They stood there in the kitchen, kissing each other like there was nothing else in the world that mattered. Suddenly Madeline pulled back a bit. “Do you think that Jake would let us be alone in the bedroom for a while?” She whispered. Todd’s heart was pounding, his hands were shaking. “I think he’d be fine with that.” He gave her a warm smile. She wrapped her arms around his neck as he lifted her up in his arms and carried her to the bedroom. Todd felt as if he was on top of the world. He made love to Madeline like it was the first and last day of his life.

They laid together, holding each other and just enjoying the moment. Todd touched her fingers, taking in every single inch of her being. “So Madeline, you never have told me much about yourself.” He ran the tips of his fingers up her arm. “Where are you from? What is your family like? Do you have any brothers or sisters?” Madeline shifted in the bed. She seemed to get uncomfortable. “I, well… I have a very boring life, you don’t want to hear about me.” She quickly changed the subject. “Can you believe how pretty the snow is outside?” She gazed out the window. Todd looked with her. “Yeah, it is beautiful.” He turned to the clock. “I can’t believe it’s already almost eight o’clock.” No sooner did the words come out of his mouth, Madeline jumped out of the bed. “What? Eight o’clock?!” She threw her dress on in a panic. “I’m sorry, Todd, I have to go.” Todd looked at her, confused. “Wait a minute! Why? What’s wrong? Did I say something?” Madeline put her shoes on and ran to the door. “No Todd, I just have to leave. I’m so sorry.” And with that, she was gone again.

Todd got up from the bed and put his clothes on. He staggered into the kitchen trying to hold back tears. “What happened?” He said out loud. He stared out the window at the snow. He couldn’t figure out what he had done wrong. Why did she keep leaving like this? He looked around at the kitchen and the empty guest chair. “This is stupid!” He shouted. He flung the chair across the kitchen floor. “I shouldn’t have let myself get in this deep. I should have known better.” He thought about how she reacted when he asked about where she lived. He thought about how she left every evening at the same time, and about how he didn’t even know her phone number. Suddenly all the pieces came together. He lifted up his head. Could it be? There was no other explanation. “She’s married.” He said with sadness and certainty. He put his head in his hands. “How could she do this?” He fought back the tears. “I knew it was too good to be true.” He picked up the guest chair and put it back where it was, where it had been for a long time before. He sighed a long sigh. He turned off all the lights and went to bed, alone once again.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 1:38 PM
Default Time Changes Everything

The next few days were the hardest Todd had ever known. He hadn’t heard anything from Madeline, hadn’t seen her anywhere in town. He tried to pick up where he left off before Madeline came around but nothing was the same. He made himself get out of bed, fix his meals, and take care of the house but somehow it hurt worse all the time. One afternoon he got up from his lunch, washed his dishes and walked into the living room. He cut on the TV only to see their show… the show he and Madeline watched together. The show they were watching when they shared their first kiss. He lost it. He finally let all his emotions go. He stood there, in the living room, crying like a young boy. “I just don’t get it.” He said to himself. “Why bring her to me if you were just going to take her away?” He wiped his tears from his eyes and walked outside. He stared up at the sky, as if he was looking for something. “Momma, I could really use your hand right now.” He looked around at the trees, the snow, and the people driving down the road. Suddenly he realized, life goes on. “I have to keep moving on.” he whispered.

The next few weeks following he forced himself into a routine. He kept looking for a job, spent a lot of time training Jake, and fixing what he could with the house. He kept cooking, trying to perfect those recipes of his mothers. Who knows, maybe someday he would be cooking for someone else. It was getting closer to spring but it seemed as if the days were only getting colder. Will it ever be warm again? He thought. And although he still hadn’t heard from Madeline, he thought about her all the time. He was angry, but deep inside he loved her. No one could ever replace her in his heart.

Todd woke one morning to the sound of a lady yelling in his front yard. He jumped out of bed only to find snow on the ground once again. “Dang it.” He said, frustrated. He put on his coat and walked outside through the snow. The lady from the trailer court was standing there, yelling at Jake while he dug another hole. “Todd Franklin!” She exclaimed. “We have talked about this before and I warned you… you said you were going to fix this place up and look! Nothing has changed!” Todd tried to calm her down. “I know, I know, I’m sorry ma’am! It’s just that I’ve been through a pretty rough time lately and I still haven’t found a job…” she interrupted him, shaking her head. “Enough excuses, Todd. I want some proof, some sort of proof right now that you have plans to fix this place up or you are out!” She yelled. Todd didn’t know what to say. “Um, well, I…” he was at a loss for words. This was it, he thought. “It’s me.” a woman’s voice said from behind them. “I’m your proof.”

They turned around. Todd couldn’t believe his eyes. It was Madeline! She reached out to shake the lady‘s hand. “My name is Madeline. Todd hired me to do some cleaning and painting in the trailer for him. Today is my first day, actually.” she said. The lady from the trailer court looked surprised. “Oh, well, okay then Todd it looks like you have things under control.” She started to walk away. “Have a good afternoon, you two.” Madeline waved to her sweetly. “Bye bye.” She said. She turned to Todd who still stood there silent with surprise and bewilderment. He finally spoke “Madeline… what are you…why…” He stood up straight and cleared his throat. “Thank you for that.” He turned and started walking to the door.

Madeline stopped him. “Todd, please wait. We need to talk.” Todd turned back around. “Oh yeah? About what.” He said coldly. Madeline had a look of sadness in her eyes that Todd had never seen. “About what happened Todd. Please let me explain…” Todd shook his head. “You don’t have to explain. I already know what’s going on.” Madeline looked surprised. She was fidgeting with her dress nervously. “You do?” She asked quietly. Todd had anger in his voice. “Yes, I figured it all out, Madeline. You’re married.” She looked at the ground. “Why, Madeline? Why didn’t you tell me? Why did you do all of this?” Madeline wiped a tear away from her eye. It was killing Todd to see her so upset, but he felt so betrayed by her. She looked him in the eyes and said “you’re right, Todd. I am married.” Todd kicked the dirt and started to walk away again. “But wait Todd, please, it’s not what you think!” He turned back around again. “Oh yeah?” He said. “Yes!” she said “please let me finish.”

She took a deep breath and stood up straight. It began to snow even harder. Todd’s heart was aching fearing what she might tell him next. “I was married.” she started. “for six months. My husband was a monster. He was abusive to me and wouldn’t allow me to leave. I was afraid for my life, so I snuck out one night and hitchhiked to the nearest town.” More tears came down her face. “I finally got the courage to leave but I had no place to go. I walked around town until I found the shelter on the other side of town that allowed me to stay.” Madeline stopped. Todd couldn’t believe what he was hearing. “I’m homeless, Todd.” She wiped her tears. Todd wanted to believe it all, he really did, but he was still angry. “But what about the gypsy? And the leaving every night? I just don’t know.” Todd shook his head. Madeline started again. “I hired the gypsy with the little money I had in hopes that I would find a good roommate, so I could leave the shelter. The shelter has a curfew so I had to be home by eight every night or they would make me move out. I didn’t have anywhere else to go, Todd.” He suddenly felt horrible. All this that she had been going through and he thought the worst of her. But why didn’t she say anything? “Why didn’t you tell me, Madeline?”

She put her head in her hands. “I didn’t expect to meet you, Todd. We got so close and I didn’t want to burden you with my problems when you had your own.” She sniffled. “I thought you would be better off without me in your life. I didn’t plan for all of this. I didn’t plan to fall in love with you.” Todd perked up. “Love?” He said quietly. “Yes, Todd. I love you.” She picked her head up and looked at him. It felt as if the earth stopped moving. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing. He reached his arms out to pull her to him but she stepped back. “Wait Todd. There’s something else I have to tell you.”

Her face got very serious. Todd began to get nervous all over again. “Yes, Madeline? What is it?” She took another deep breath. He could see her hands trembling. “I um,… I’m pregnant Todd.” Todd felt dizzy. Everything was a blur. He just couldn’t believe what was happening. Just hours ago his world was falling apart at the seams and now Madeline was here, she loved him, and she was carrying his child. Once he was able to breathe again, he spoke “you’re pregnant?” Madeline smiled at him. That same warm smile that he had been longing for all these weeks. “Yes, I am.” She reached out for his hands. They were cold and sweaty but she squeezed them anyway. “We’re having a baby, Todd.”

His heart was so full of happiness at this moment he thought it would burst. He pulled Madeline to him and hugged her tightly. “I love you, Madeline.” She hugged him back. “I love you too, Todd. So much.” Todd lifted his head up from her. “Stay with me, Madeline.“ He pleaded with her. “Move in here… please. I know it isn’t much, but we can fix it up. I’ll do whatever I can to make this place fit for you and our baby, just please stay.” His biggest fear at this moment was to see her walking away from him again taking their baby with her. Those next few seconds were an eternity to him, just waiting for the answer. Madeline looked up at him and grinned. “Of course I’ll stay with you, Todd. There’s nowhere else in the world I’d rather be.” Todd breathed a huge sigh of relief. He picked Madeline off the ground in a huge embrace. All was right with the world again.
Test Subject
#6 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 4:56 PM
I like this story.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#7 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 5:07 PM
Your writing is excellent! I really like the expressiveness of the story and the little details!

I think it might be a bit more effective if you made sure to have the walls up, roof on, etc., and turn off thought bubbles/plumbbobs, though. A few more line breaks in the longer paragraphs of dialog would be helpful too, in making those sections more readable.

Keep up the good work!

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 1:49 PM
Default Happiest Days

The days following that were like a dream to Todd. Madeline left the shelter and moved in with him. Madeline gave Todd a nice haircut and he shaved his face clean. He took her advice and applied for a prep cook job at the diner in town. He got the job, but it was very hard work for little pay. Madeline was so proud of him for starting to pursue his dream of being a cook. They used his first paycheck to buy some much needed clothes and some paint for the trailer. They were so happy together, the two of them and Jake.

Madeline stayed home cleaning and fixing up the house while Todd worked at the diner. She was starting to show a bit and Todd was getting more and more excited about the baby. With Madeline’s influence, he turned in an application to the culinary school in the city. They were anxiously waiting on a reply any day now.

One afternoon, as usual, Madeline walked out to the mailbox. She fumbled through a couple bills and then came to a thick, fancy looking envelope. She read the return address.
“Hadenville School of Culinary Arts.” She read aloud. She felt a rush of butterflies in her stomach. This is it! She thought. Should I open it? She thought about it. If the answer were no, Todd would be crushed. She knew she couldn’t bear to see him so disappointed. ‘I could say it never came,’ she thought. She looked hard at the envelope. “Oh, hell with it.” She ripped open the seal and pulled out a thick folded sheet of paper.
“Dear Mr. Franklin,” she read aloud. “It is with great pleasure that we inform you of your acceptance into our fine institution.” Her eyes got wide as she continued to read. “We are also happy to tell you that one of our school sponsors has offered you a full scholarship in exchange for your accepting a position as an assistant to the chef at Loncoste’ Restaurant.” Madeline lowered the paper. “Oh my God.” she said in shock. “I can’t believe this!” a huge smile crossed her face. “Todd is going to be so thrilled!” She ran back into the house clutching the letter in her hands.

When Todd came home from work that evening, Madeline met him at the door. He looked exhausted, sweaty, and smelled like burgers and fries. Madeline didn’t care. Todd took off his hat and gave her a gentle kiss.
“Man it’s so nice to come home to your beautiful face after working in that nasty diner.” he said.
She smiled. “I’m so glad your home. I got a lot done to the house today!” She said proudly.
Todd looked around at the sparkling countertops and the crisp white walls. She was so right about the woman’s touch. “It looks amazing, Madeline. I don’t know how I’ll ever repay you for all of this.” He hung up his coat.
She clutched on to the envelope behind her back. “How about a nice dinner for two at Loncoste?”
Todd gave her a strange look. “Well… I… I’d love to, but you know I can’t afford…” she pulled the envelope from behind her back and handed it to him, trying to stifle her excitement. Todd looked at it, and then at her. “What is this?”

Madeline grinned. “Just read it!” Todd opened the envelope and pulled out the letter. As he read it, Madeline saw his eyes getting brighter and the smile growing on his face. He looked up at her, his eyes shining with happiness and surprise.
“Seriously? I’m in?!” He said in disbelief. She smiled from ear to ear.
“Yes Todd! You’re in!” Then his face changed. He looked scared. Madeline reached to him. “What’s wrong, baby?“ He put the paper down on the table. “I don’t know. I just don’t think I can… what if I can’t do it? What if it’s too hard and we went through all of this for nothing?“ He put down his head.
Madeline lifted his head up. “Hey. Do you remember what you told me your momma said about a hand on your shoulder? Well, that’s me, Todd. When you go to school and when you start this new job you can do it. I know you can. My hand will be on your shoulder the whole time.“
He smiled at her. “You always know exactly what to say. I just don’t know what I would do without you.“ He reached out his arms to her and she leaped into them. They laughed as he twirled her around the kitchen.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 2:04 PM
Default Like an Angel

Between his new job and school, Todd was gone for long hours everyday. Madeline tried to wait up for him every night, but she was getting further along in her pregnancy and had a hard time staying awake by the end of the day. He came home one night and found her curled up on the couch, sleeping soundly, with one hand on her soft, pregnant belly. She looks like an angel, he thought. “How did I get so lucky” he whispered as he looked down on her. Todd bent down to his knees and gave her a kiss on the cheek.
She jumped, startled. “Todd!” she said “I must have fallen asleep.” She rubbed her eyes.
Todd brushed the hair from her face. I’m sorry, Madeline, I didn’t mean to wake you.”
Madeline got up from the couch and stretched. “That’s ok. I shouldn’t sleep on this couch anyway.” She put her hands on her back. “Ugh” she groaned. “Now my back is killing me.”

Todd stepped behind her and started rubbing her shoulders. She sighed with relief. “You know, Madeline, pretty soon it won’t be just you and me anymore. We won’t get all this quiet time alone.” She laughed. “Yeah, I know. It’s crazy, isn’t it? How time changes things.”
Todd continued to rub her back. “Yeah, it doesn’t seem like long ago that I didn’t know where my life was going. Now I feel like I have all the answers.”
Madeline turned around to look at him. She put her arms around his waist. “I know I feel like my life is complete now.” She said, smiling.
Todd looked back at her, running his hand through her hair. “Well, maybe not entirely.” He said. Madeline looked confused.

“Madeline, before you came along I never thought I would have any of this. I loved you from the moment I laid my eyes on you, and I always hoped that we would wind up just like this.” he got down on one knee and pulled a small box out of his pocket. “I couldn’t ask for anything more, and I just want to show you that I’m willing to devote my entire life to you and our child.” he pulled out a ring from the box. It was small, but it sparkled like the moon shining on the leftover snow crystals outside. “I want you to be my wife, Madeline.”
She threw her hands over her mouth in shock. “I.. I can’t believe… when did you…” she stuttered as she looked at the tiny stone.
“Buy a ring?” he said, smiling. “I wanted to surprise you. To do this the right way.” He handed her the ring.
She took it from him as a tear fell from her face. “But Todd, I can’t marry you.” She said quietly. Her voice was trembling.
He looked at her, confused. “Why not? I thought…”
She wiped her eyes. “I’m still married to someone else, Todd. I can’t marry you while I’m married to someone else.” She handed the ring back to him.
Todd’s face dropped. “Well, can’t you get a divorce?” he asked, hopeful.
“Yes, but then I would have to find him and I’m scared. I don’t want him around you or our unborn baby. He’s dangerous, Todd. There’s no telling what he’ll do.” She started to cry. “This is all my fault. You planned this beautiful surprise for me and I ruined it.”

Todd stood up and put his arms around her. He whispered in her ear “It’s not your fault, I wasn’t thinking. I’m sorry.” He said, trying to hide the disappointment in his voice.
He held her tightly as she cried. He ran his fingers through her soft hair. “If you weren’t already married, would you have said yes?”
She pulled away from him. “Of course I would, Todd! You know I want nothing more than to be with you!”
He picked up her hand and slid the ring on her finger. “Then wear this. We will be married one day, this is my promise to you.” He kissed her hand.

Madeline threw her arms around his neck. “I love you so much, Todd. I’m so lucky to have you.”
He hugged her back. “I love you too.”
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Sep 2010 at 1:33 PM
Default A Visitor

It was late one Saturday night. Both Todd and Madeline were asleep in bed when they were awakened by a pounding on the front door.
Todd rolled over and picked up his head. “Who the hell is that?” Irritated, he got up and walked to the door.
“Todd, wait…” said Madeline. She had a bad feeling that something was wrong.
Todd swung open the door to see a dark haired man covered in tattoos standing on the porch. The man pushed Todd out of the way and forced himself into the house.
“Where is she!” The man yelled.

Todd was angry and frightened. Who was this crazy creep? He grabbed the man by the arm and pulled him back.
“I don’t think so, dude. Where the hell do you think you’re going?!”
The man turned around and got in Todd’s face. “Stay out of my way, punk! I’m here for my wife.” He yelled as he pushed Todd violently against the wall. Todd hit his head and fell on the floor, dazed.

Madeline heard the commotion coming from the kitchen. As she was getting up, the man stormed into the bedroom.
“There you are you little bitch!” He yelled.
Madeline looked like she’d seen a ghost. She was paralyzed with fear. “oh my God… Peter! How did you… who told you…” she said in a weak voice.
“It doesn’t matter how I found you! What matters is that you’re coming back with me!” He grabbed her by the arm. “No!” She screamed. He pulled her nightshirt and a button fell off. He stopped and looked down at her pregnant belly, his eyes filled with anger. “Well, looks like you’ve been busy you little whore!” He screamed. When she tried to pull away, he raised his arm and backhanded her across the face, knocking her to the floor.

Todd ran into the room just in time to see a pregnant Madeline slapped to the floor like she was nothing. He felt rage rip through his entire body. Without saying a word, he attacked Peter, punching him fist over fist without letting up. Madeline got to her feet and ran to call the police. Todd kept hitting Peter over and over until blood was pouring out of his face. Madeline came back into the room. Todd had his hands around Peter’s neck, choking him. “Todd no!” She screamed.

Just then she saw Peter reaching with a bloody hand for something in his back pocket. He pulled out a knife. Before she had time to think, she grabbed the closest thing she could reach-the solid porcelain vase-and smashed it over Peter’s head.
Todd took his hands off Peter’s neck. “Oh my God.” He said. Madeline just stood there with no expression on her face. Todd put his fingers on Peter’s pulse. “He’s dead.” he said. He stood up and looked at Madeline. They heard the police sirens outside the house. “My God, Madeline. What do we do now?” He looked out the window and started to panic. Madeline just looked up and him and calmly whispered “my hand is on your shoulder, Todd.”

When the police came in it was like a whirlwind of events. It all happened so fast, he couldn’t believe what was going on around him. The police were taking photos, talking to one another, and asking lots of questions. Self defense, they said. Neither he nor Madeline would go to jail. They finally rolled Peter out of the house on a stretcher, his body covered with a white sheet. Todd looked up at Madeline and her bruised face. There was no fear or sadness in her expression, only relief. Todd watched her as her eyes followed them taking Peter away from the trailer. She won’t ever have to be scared again, he thought.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Sep 2010 at 1:42 PM
Default A Gift for Madeline

After Peter’s death, Madeline wanted nothing more than to just get on with her life. Todd was worried about her, so he suggested taking some time off work and school to stay with her.
“I’m fine, Todd.” She told him. “In fact, I’m better than before. I have nothing to fear anymore. I just thank God that you were here with me when he came.”
He touched her face, looking sadly at the bruise Peter left behind. “I am too. I know you’re tough, Madeline, but you’ve been through a terrible ordeal and I just want to be sure that you and my baby are ok.” He smiled as he put his hands on her belly. He felt his child moving inside of her and was so thankful that the doctor said everything was fine. “Look at that,” he said “he wants me to take care of you, too.”
Madeline laughed. “what makes you so sure it’s a he?” she joked. “He just might be my baby girl!”
Todd laughed with her. “You’re right, it might. And that’s perfectly fine with me.” he smiled. “Except she’d be daddy’s girl.” He smiled.
Madeline laid her head on his shoulder. “I know you’re worried about me Todd, but really, I’m fine. I just want to forget the whole thing and get on with our lives.” She said, her face in his shirt. “If you ask for time off, you’ll get behind in school and at work… it’s just not necessary, really.”
Todd rocked her back and forth. “Alright, honey, if that’s what you want. But if for any reason you change your mind, promise you’ll tell me.” They kissed. Todd heard Madeline’s stomach growling. He pulled back, laughing. “Are you hungry? When you are living with a chef, you should never be this hungry!”
Madeline giggled. “I’m always hungry lately. I’m so lucky to have a man that cooks.” She grinned.

Todd prepared his special recipe lemon pepper salmon for the two of them. He set their plates and pulled out the chair for Madeline like he did every night. He loved spoiling her. They both started eat.
“Todd, I want to get married this weekend.” Madeline said, very casually in between bites.
Todd nearly choked on his salmon. “Do what?” He said, surprised. “I want to get married. You asked me to marry you, I said yes, we don’t have to wait anymore… so let’s get married.” She said, matter-of-factly.
Todd put his fork down. “But wait a minute,” he said “we don’t have money right now for a wedding. Or a dress, or a cake…” Madeline put down her fork as well. “What, you don’t want to marry me anymore?” She made a jokingly sad face.
Todd laughed. “Of course I want to marry you, I just want to give you a real wedding. I don’t want our life together to start at some courthouse with some random dude telling us we’re married.” His expression got serious.
Madeline reached out and grabbed his hand. “I would love a real wedding, Todd, but I want to marry you more. If we have to do it at the courthouse, so what? At least we’ll be husband and wife before our baby’s born. That’s what I really want.” She squeezed his hand. He rubbed his fingers on hers and sighed. “Ok, if that’s what you want. We’ll get married at the courthouse this weekend.” He leaned over the table and gave her a kiss. “But we’re gonna take an awesome honeymoon… in a few years.” they both laughed.

Todd went back to work the following evening. In between the lunch and dinner rush he decided to take a break. He took off his hat and had a seat at the bar.
“What can I get for you, Todd?” asked Kimberly, the bartender. He had gotten to know everyone at Londoste really well since working there. It felt good to have real friends. “I’ll just have a ginger ale, Kimberly.” he said, brushing his hair back with his hands.
Kimberly grinned as she pulled out a glass. “What, they won’t let you drink when you’re on shift?”
Todd smiled. “Yeah, I reckon they would, but I never have drank much. Ya’ll don’t want me passing out at the grill.”
They both laughed. “So you don’t drink, you’re the best cook we’ve got, and you go home every night instead of out with the guys.” Kimberly poured his ginger ale and passed it across the bar. “Does your girlfriend know how lucky she is?”
Todd took a sip. “Fiancé,” he corrected “and she’d better!” he joked.
Kimberly smiled at him.. “I’m sure she does. She’s not gonna let you go.” She walked around to the other side of the bar.
Todd sat there, stirring his ice around in his cup. I just wish I could give her more, he thought.
Just then his boss and the owner of the restaurant, Tracy, walked up to the bar. “Hey Todd! You look a little down, what’s up?” She said.
Todd put his cup down. “Eh, my fiancé wants to get married.” Tracy smiled. “Well darn Todd I sure am sorry to hear that.” she said, sarcastically.
Todd laughed. “No that’s not the bad part. She wants to get married before the baby’s born but we just don’t have the cash right now to have a real wedding. I don’t want her to have to settle for a courthouse deal.” he said, sadly.
Tracy listened, then put her hand on her chin, thinking. “You know, Todd,” she said “we do a lot of weddings here, in our event room.”
Todd looked up at her. “I know, and they’re incredible! But I can hardly afford a cake, much less renting this place for a night.” Tracy leaned against the bar. “Well, we don’t have anything booked for Saturday night. How about if I book it for you and you can just owe me one?” She smiled. “You know you need to marry the girl before the baby gets here!”
Todd smiled and looked at her in surprise. “I couldn’t ask you to do that, Tracy…” he started.
She interrupted “You’re not asking, Todd. I’m offering. Just say yes.” She grinned.
Todd was thrilled at her generosity. “Alright, yes! Sounds perfect. She’ll be so friggin happy, Tracy, thank you.” He reached out to hug her. She hugged him back.
“Don’t be lovin’ on me too much, Todd. People will start talkin’.” she joked. They both laughed. This is amazing! Todd thought. This Saturday, I’ll give her the wedding of her dreams, and she’ll finally be my wife.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 1:03 PM
Default This Day Forward

Saturday finally came. Todd was busy at the restaurant getting things in order while Madeline was at home getting ready. She put on her dress, the only maternity dress she could find in town that even resembled a wedding dress. “I shouldn’t wear white anyway.” She laughed to herself.
She stood at the mirror to put on her makeup. Thankfully the bruise on her face was mostly faded away. She got out her curling iron and started to curl her hair. When she was finished getting ready, she looked at herself in the reflection.
“It’s really happening.” She said to herself. She felt a rush of butterflies in her stomach. She put her hands on her belly. “I’m going to marry your daddy today.” She said with a big smile. Her eyes started to fill with tears of happiness. “Oh no!” She said, wiping her eyes frantically. “My makeup, and I have to go!” She checked herself in the mirror one last time, slipped on her shoes, and headed out the door.

By the time 7 o’clock came around, Todd was a nervous wreck. He walked up to the alter through the crowd of his co-workers and new friends sitting in the event hall. The decorations were beautiful, thanks to the help of Kimberly and Tracy. When he got to the front of the room, he brushed his suit with his hands. Tracy’s husband was about his size and offered to lend Todd a suit for the evening. It fit perfectly. He turned and looked at the door where his bride-to-be would be walking through any second. His hands started to tremble. What if she changes her mind? He thought. What if this is it, she leaves me here? He felt like he might pass out. Just then, the door opened slowly. Madeline was there, her hair curled softly by her face, her dress flowing at her side as she walked toward him. For a moment, the room was silent. Todd didn’t hear the music, the crowd, anything. All he could think about was the woman of his dreams walking to him with that warm smile he loved so much. It was like a dream. She got up to him a the alter and reached out her hand.
“Are you ok?” she whispered. He took her hand. “Yes, I’ve never been better.” he whispered back.

Todd and Madeline held hands while the vows were read to them. “Who holds the rings?” the preacher asked the crowd.
Tracy got out of her seat and handed the preacher a box holding two golden bands.
“Todd, I understand you have written vows of your own?” The preacher asked.
Madeline looked surprised. “You did?” she mouthed silently.
Todd smiled and took a deep breath. “Madeline, when I sat to write these vows I felt like there weren’t enough words in existence to tell you how I feel.” He paused. His face got serious. “You are my world, my everything. You’ve given me hope, happiness, and a whole new life I never thought I would have.” He took the ring and slid it on her finger. Her hands were shaking. “From this day forward, I promise to make you as happy every day of our lives as you have made me.”
She looked at the ring, and then at Todd, a tear and a smile on her face.
“I now pronounce you husband and wife. Todd, you may kiss your bride.” The preacher said as he closed his book.
Todd reached out and gently pulled Madeline to him, sharing the first kiss of their new lives together.

The wedding was everything they dreamed it would be. They toasted with their friends,

cut the cake,

and shared their first dance. While they were dancing, Madeline said “I can’t believe you did all this for me, Todd.” He smiled. “Did I do good?” She laughed. “I absolutely love it. It’s perfect.” She leaned in and kissed him on the cheek.

They finished the dance and everyone clapped. When the reception music cut on, people started dancing, drinking champagne, talking and laughing.
Todd leaned over to Madeline’s ear and whispered “Do you wanna sneak away from all this excitement for a few minutes?”
Madeline whispered back. “You read my mind.” She said.
Todd grabbed her hand and lead her outside the event room to the bar. It was pretty quiet for a Saturday night. He pulled out a chair for her.
“Thank you, Todd.” she said. “I thought all that was supposed to stop once people get married.” she joked.
He laughed, then cupped her face in his hands. “I’m only just beginning to spoil you.” He said, smiling.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 1:09 PM
Default Beautiful Elephants
It was about a month before Madeline’s due date, and the parents-to-be were growing more excited by the day. They laid in the bed one night talking.
Todd held Madeline in his arms. “It’s almost baby time!” he joked. Madeline laughed. “I know, I can’t wait. I feel like an elephant.” she said.
Todd rubbed her belly. “You might be an elephant, but you‘re a beautiful one.” He joked.
She laughed and laid her head down on his shoulder. She sighed, closing her eyes. She thought for a moment, then quickly picked her head up. “Todd!” She blurted out. “Where are we going to put her?”
Todd looked around the room. “Well, I just thought we would… I mean, we can…” He looked confused. “Man, I have no idea.” Madeline suddenly started to panic. “Oh my god, Todd, I can’t believe we are this close to having a baby and we don’t even know where we’re going to put it!” She sat up in the bed.
Todd pulled the blankets down and sat up next to her. He started rubbing her shoulders. “It’s alright, Madeline, I figure something out.”
She pulled away. “Like what? What are we going to do this close to my due date? We can’t move!” She started to cry.
Todd was thinking hard for a solution. Suddenly he got an idea. “You know what, Tracy’s husband is into construction.” he said to her.
She looked irritated. “So what, you’re going to build it a house in the backyard next to Jake?” She said sarcastically.
Todd laughed. He couldn’t help but think she was so cute when she was frustrated. “No, although that’s not a bad idea.” He laughed. “I was thinking… I bet he would help me build an addition onto this place for pretty cheap. All I would have to do is get permission from the office guys.”
Madeline calmed down. “Really? Do you think it’s possible?” Todd started rubbing her shoulders again. “Oh yeah. I’ll talk to everybody tomorrow and get it all worked out.”
Madeline laid back down. Todd laid down beside her and brushed his fingers through her hair. “Thank you so much, Todd. I’m sorry I got upset.”
He smiled. “It’s alright, my beautiful elephant.” She playfully punched him in the arm.

The next day, Todd talked to the people at the trailer court office. “Sure, Todd.” the lady said. “You guys have fixed the place up so nice, you can do whatever you want with it.”
He was excited. “Great, thanks so much!” He left from there and went straight to work.
He pulled Tracy aside when he got there and asked about her husband. “Tracy, I know you’re husband does construction work.” He said. “do you think he would have a little extra time to help me build an addition onto the trailer?”
Tracy thought for a moment. “I’m sure he would love to help. He can’t seem to get enough work.” She joked.
He laughed. “well, I’ll gladly pay him for helping me, I just can’t do it all myself before the baby’s born.”
Tracy looked surprised. “Great day, Todd, isn’t that baby due any day?”
He smiled. “In a month.”
She laughed. “You like to live on the edge, don’t you?” she pulled out her cell phone. “I’ll let my husband know what you’re up to.” Her husband agreed to it, and he and Todd constructed a perfect sized room onto the trailer right next to he and Madeline’s bedroom.
Madeline was so happy about how it turned out. “This is perfect.” She said.

The baby was due any day now. The nursery was complete, decorated and ready for their little boy or girl. Tracy and the girls at work threw Madeline a beautiful baby shower where she got tons of gifts for the nursery. It looked like a room from a fairy tale. One evening, Madeline went out to dinner with Tracy and Kimberly leaving Todd alone at the trailer. He watched TV for a while, not knowing what do by himself. He was happy that Madeline was making friends, though. She needed that in her life. He walked to the baby’s room to make sure that everything was in place.
He picked a lonely teddy bear off the floor. “This isn’t where you should go.” He said as he walked over to the crib. He went to set the bear down and stopped. He looked down at the empty crib, the sheets pulled tight and the blankets neatly folded, all ready for a baby. He gently place the bear at the foot of the bed. He still stared, thinking about how in a matter of days he would be a father. “Wow.” he said aloud. “it’s really happening.” He leaned over, resting his arms on the crib railing and looked up. “Mamma,” he said “you were so good to me growing up, please give me the strength to be a good daddy to my child.” He looked around at the colorful toys and tiny clothing. “Please don’t let me hurt my family like my father did to us.” He wiped a tear from his face and walked out of the room.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 1:02 PM
Default She Gave Me Hope

The next morning, they woke up and went into the kitchen to have breakfast. Madeline was late coming home the night before so Todd went on to bed before she got back.
“Did you have fun last night?” He asked as he cracked the eggs into the frying pan.
She stood in the kitchen next to him at the stove, watching him cook. “Yeah, we had a real good time. Had dinner, danced a bit… you know, girl stuff.” She smiled.
Todd sprinkled some cheese in the pan. “Yeah, yeah I hear ya.” He joked.
Madeline laughed and snuck a piece of cheese from the stove. Suddenly she clutched her belly. “Oh man,” she groaned. “Maybe I danced a little too much.”
Todd laughed. “Nah, you’re just getting old like me.” He teased. Madeline leaned against the counter in pain. “Are you alright?” Todd asked, getting worried.
“I don’t know,” she said “my back and my stomach are hurting really bad all the sudden.”
Todd quickly put the frying pan down and stepped over to her. He put his arm around her shoulders and led her to the kitchen table. “Come here and sit down for a minute.” He directed.
Before they got halfway to the table Madeline gasped. “Oh my god, Todd my water just broke!”
Todd felt himself start to panic then took a deep breath. He sat her down at the table. “It’s ok, Madeline. I’ll call a cab, just sit here and try to relax.” He ran to the phone. He was so nervous that the phone was shaking in his hand. Get it together, Todd! He thought to himself. You’ve got to be strong for her!
When the cab arrived, Todd grabbed their overnight bags and loaded them into the car. He walked back into the house to escort Madeline, who’s contractions were getting much worse.
“Oh god, Todd I don’t know if I can do this.” She cried in pain. “I’ve got you, Madeline. I’m not leaving your side. Come on, let’s go have this baby.” He put his arm around her and walked her to the cab.

The labor and delivery went smoothly. Madeline gave birth to a 7 pound 5 ounce baby girl. Todd was by her side helping the whole way through, just like he promised. They decided to name the baby Hope, because that’s what she had given them.
When Todd finally got to hold her after the nurses cleaned her up, he felt his heart melt as he held her tiny body in his arms. “Hey there my precious little girl.” He said to her. She was so tiny and fragile, like nothing Todd had ever seen. He’s never held a baby before so this was all a little frightening. He looked her over, touching her little hands and counting all her fingers and toes. “She’s perfect, Madeline.”
Madeline was still tired and exhausted from the delivery. She looked at Todd with lazy eyes. “You look real good as a dad, Todd.” She smiled. “Can I hold her?”
Todd gave Hope a kiss on her head. “Do you want to meet your mamma?” He asked the baby.

Back at home, things weren‘t quite as calm as they were at the hospital. Todd was running around like a crazy person trying to make the house perfect for them.
“It’s fine, Todd!” Madeline called from the bedroom. “Hope said she doesn’t care if the dishes are done!” Madeline joked, trying to settle him down. She sat on the edge of the bed and finished up her feeding.
Todd came into the room and looked at Madeline, their newborn baby in her arms. He didn’t know what to do or how to act. It seemed to come so natural to Madeline but he was so scared he would hurt her or do something wrong.
Madeline could read the expression on his face. “Do you want to hold your daughter, Todd?”
Those were the most wonderful words he’d ever heard. My daughter, he thought. Madeline gently placed Hope into Todd’s open arms. The baby laid there, staring up at him. She had Madeline’s bright blue eyes and his red hair. She was a perfect mix of the two of them. This is our baby, he thought. A product of our love. Suddenly it all felt right. He leaned down and gave Hope a kiss. “I love you.” He whispered.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 1:09 PM
Default Just Like on TV

The next year was the hardest, but also the most wonderful year they’d ever had. Todd was really getting the hang of the whole daddy job although Madeline took care of all the hard stuff. Every evening, when Todd came home from work or school, the first thing he did was grab up his baby girl. He took care of all the playing while Madeline handled most of the diapers and feedings. Madeline loved being able to stay home and raise their daughter. They both loved that little girl more than life itself.

Before they knew it, it was Hope’s first birthday. They had a small party for her at home with cake and ice cream. Todd sat back with Madeline watching Hope eat her first cake and ice cream. “Where does the time go, Madeline?” He asked, holding her hand in his lap. She smiled as she leaned over and gave him a kiss.
They had so much fun with their little girl. After she learned to walk, the would take her to the park every Sunday. Todd would push her on the toddler swing while Madeline took photos.
One Sunday afternoon they were walking through the park as usual when Todd suddenly stopped. They had come to the pond and picnic table where he and Madeline had their first date. He stared at the water, thinking about how he had felt that day, dreaming of a life just like this with her and thinking it would never happen. Now here he was, living his dream, and it was more wonderful than he ever imagined.
Madeline put her hand on his shoulder. “What ya thinking about?” she asked. She looked over to the pond where Todd was staring. “Oh.” She said, smiling. “I remember that day.”
Todd turned to her and hugged her, looking at their little girl in the stroller beside her. “I love you so much, Madeline.” He said, with a serious tone.
“I love you too, Todd. Forever.”

Not long after Hope turned two years old, Todd graduated Culinary school. He knew he should take his education and move on to bigger things but he just couldn’t bear the thought of leaving Londoste. He’d gotten so close with everyone there that it almost felt like his second home.
A week later he was still pondering what to do with his degree when he was approached by Tracy at work. “Todd, I’m getting old.” she said.
Todd laughed. “You said it, not me.” Tracy playfully smacked his arm. “Ha ha. No, I mean I’m getting too old to be running this whole restaurant by myself.”
Todd looked at her. “I think you’re doing a damn good job, Tracy. The place is looking great and the profits are higher than they’ve ever been.”
Tracy grinned. “I didn’t say I wasn’t doing a good job.” her face got serious as she looked at Todd. “Todd, let’s sit down.” They found an empty table near the back of the restaurant. Todd was a little nervous about what she had to say. “What I’m trying to say is, I want you and I to become partners.”
Todd looked confused. “Partners?”
Tracy nodded her head. “Which means half of this is yours. Half the restaurant, half the profit, but also half the work.” she said. Todd loved how she was always right to the point. She had become almost like a big sister to him.
She continued. “I want you to be the head cook, and make sure that everything is run right in the kitchen. I also want you to incorporate some of your own recipes into the menu. This place is in need of a change.”
Todd couldn’t believe it. It was perfect, exactly what he wanted. “Are you serious?” He asked, excitedly.
“I’m dead serious, Todd. What do ya say?”
Todd smiled huge. “I say hell yes!”
Tracy smiled, stood up, and reached out her hand to shake his. He grabbed her hand but instead of shaking, he pulled her into a hug. Tracy laughed. “What did I tell you about the hugging, Todd.”
He squeezed her tighter. “I don’t care.” he joked. She hugged him back, laughing.

Todd had been partners at Londoste for just over a month now. Things were going great under his management. The profits continued to rise as they gained new customers. Everyone loved Todd’s new recipes. His hours were getting longer and his paycheck was getting bigger.
One evening after work, Todd sat in the living room watching Hope play with her toys. Madeline finished up the dinner dishes and walked into the room, stepping over scattered toys and dog bones on the floor.
“Oh wow, what a mess.” she said, smiling. “There’s just nowhere to put any of this stuff.”
Todd starting thinking, watching his daughter play. “You know, our family’s getting bigger and it seems like this trailer is getting smaller.” he said.
Madeline walked to the window and looked outside. “Yeah, I guess it is, huh. Maybe we should add on another room?” she suggested. Todd stood up and walked over to her. He put his arms around her waist. “Yeah, we could do that.” he held her tight. “Or we could just buy a new house.”
Madeline laughed. Todd turned her around to face him. “I’m serious. I’ve been thinking about this and I think it’s time for us to buy a real house.” he said.
Madeline stopped smiling. “Really? But you love this trailer! We practically built it ourselves! Could we really leave?” She looked down at Hope.
Todd turned and looked at her too. “I think we need to give her a real home, one she can grow up in. A place we can raise her… and maybe a brother or sister… a solid home like neither of us ever had.”
Madeline’s eyes filled with tears as she listened to his words. “We could be grandparents one day,” she laughed through her tears. “Old folks sitting on the front porch watching our grandkids in the yard.” she hugged Todd. “It’s always been a dream of mine to have a nice house out in the country, just like the ones you see on TV.” she said.
Todd combed his fingers through her hair. He turned her face to his. “I want to make that dream a reality for you. I’m making plenty of money now, we can afford it. I can take off work early tomorrow and we’ll drive out to the country and go house hunting for the perfect home.” he said.
Madeline wiped her eyes. “Oh my gosh, Todd. That would be perfect. You are way too good to me.” She smiled brightly at him. He gave her a soft kiss. “Tomorrow, then. We’ll find our home.”
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 1:17 PM
Default Life Changes Everything

The next morning came and Todd was getting ready for work as usual. “I’ll be home in a few hours.” he said. “I just have to go and make sure the day schedule is straight then I’m coming home to get you two.” He gave her a kiss good-bye. “Be ready when I get here, okay?” he smiled.
“We will, I promise.” she said as he walked out the door. The next couple hours seemed to drag by as she was so excited about that afternoon. Hope was in her high chair eating and Madeline sat down next to her. “We’re going to do something fun today, sweetie.” She said to Hope as she wiped her face. “Daddy’s going to find us a new house!”
Hope smiled at Madeline. “Da da?” she said.
Madeline laughed. “Yup, da da.” Madeline lifted her out of her high chair. “We need to go get you dressed…” just then Madeline got dizzy. “Whoa,” she said as she set Hope on the floor.
“Ugh… I hope I’m not catching that flu going around.” Madeline wiped her forehead as she felt better. “Alright, let’s go get cleaned up and take a short nap before daddy gets here.”

Madeline wiped Hope clean and put her in a nice blue dress. “Are you getting excited?” she asked Hope.
“ma ma?” Hope said.
Madeline picked her up and carried her to the crib. “I love you so much, baby girl,” she said, holding the little girl in her arms. “This is going to be a whole new beginning for us. You, me, and daddy.” She gave Hope a kiss and laid her in her crib.
“ma ma?” Hope said again.
Madeline laughed. “Take your nap, baby. By the time you wake up, daddy will be home and it will be time for us to go.” she tucked her in. “I love you.” Madeline walked out of the room and closed the door.

Suddenly she started getting a headache. She held her head in her hands. “Oh man.” she said. “Not today, I can’t be getting sick now.” She started towards the bed. Her headache got worse. Madeline started getting very dizzy, the room was spinning around. She tried to get to the bed but before she did, she collapsed into the floor.

It was 1 o’clock when Todd came home from work. He walked up the front steps to the door. He swung it open, expecting to see her in the kitchen. “Madeline!” he called through the house. “Madeline, are you guys ready, let’s go!” No answer. He looked in the living room, nothing. He sighed. “I bet she’s still getting ready.” he said to himself. He started walking to the bedroom. Opening the door, he called to her “Madeline, are you ready to go? I got some flyers from the realtor I want you to…” he stopped. His heart collapsed in his chest when he saw Madeline lying still on the floor. “Oh my god” he said, running up to her. He knelt down, trying to wake her. “Madeline, baby, wake up” he said to her. “Madeline? Madeline!” He started to panic. He ran into the living room to call 911. “Please!” he said, “send someone quick! My wife is unconscious!” He hung up the phone and ran back into the bedroom. He got to his knees beside her and pulled her lifeless body in his lap. “Madeline, wake up, please.” he pleaded, brushing the hair from her face. “Madeline, wake up baby, we have to leave, come on!” tears were coming down his face as he rocked her back and forth. “Come on, Madeline, wake up. Get Hope so we can go… come on, Madeline….”

Before he knew it the ambulance showed up. They rushed into the house, pushing Todd to the side. Todd watched them anxiously as they worked on Madeline in the bedroom.
A policeman came up to him and touched his arm. “Sir, I’m going to have to ask you to step outside.” he said.
Todd pulled away. “No, that’s my wife in there. I’m not leaving her!”
He grabbed Todd’s arm again. “Please, sir, come outside. We need you to go outside if you want to help her.”
Todd took one last look at Madeline and reluctantly walked outside with him. He stood there, waiting for what seemed like an eternity. He stared at the door, wondering what was going on. What were they doing to Madeline? Why wouldn’t they just let her come outside? We have to leave, he thought.

Moments later, the policeman came back through the door. He started walking towards him.
Todd rushed over to him. “How is she?” he asked, anxiously.
The cop looked him in the eyes, a very serious expression on his face. “I’m sorry sir. We did all we could.”
Todd looked at him, confused. “What? What are you talking about, just let me see her!” He tried to push past him to the house.
He stopped him. “I’m sorry, sir.” He said again. “It was just too late.”
The words hit him like a ton of bricks. Todd felt weak like his legs went numb. “No..” he said, shaking his head. “No, please, no.” His eyes filled with tears as he pleaded the cop for a different answer. He looked at Todd with sympathy. “I’m so sorry, sir.” Todd felt his legs give out from underneath him. He fell to his knees, his head in his hands. “Oh god, no… please no…” he lost it. He felt as if the world was spinning out of his control and he was doing everything he could to get it back. She couldn’t be gone, he thought. “No…” he said softly as he stood in the front yard on his knees, crying. “No, Madeline, please come back to me, baby, please.” He could hear Hope crying in the background. Todd’s body shook as he cried with his head in his hands. “This can’t be happening. Please, Madeline, I love you so much, come back….”
Field Researcher
#17 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 3:41 PM
I've really enjoyed the story so far. The best for me is the likeable characters. Hopefully there will be more to come.
Test Subject
#18 Old 17th Sep 2010 at 10:04 PM
No she can't be dead!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 12:58 PM
Default Moving On
**This is the third time I've tried to upload this chapter. I have to access this site through a proxy server (no idea why, I'm not blocked) so it's been very difficult to upload. Sorry for the delay!**

The months following Madeline’s death were the hardest days of Todd’s life. It took everything he had just to get out of bed in the morning and live another day. He did the best he could at raising Hope on his own but it was so hard. Every time Hope would say ‘mama’ Todd would break down all over again. He would look around the house at all of their memories and think of Madeline. “I miss you so much, baby.” he would say to her photo. He prayed every night after he tucked Hope into bed that Madeline would come back to them somehow.
“It will get better,” his friends would say, “get out and meet new people.” Todd had no intentions of finding someone new. The thought of replacing Madeline made him physically ill. He was planning to spend the rest of his life with her and now she was gone. He sometimes wished that he would die too, so he could be with her again. He knew he had to be strong for Hope but it was so difficult. As hard as it was, he somehow made it through that year… taking each day one step at a time.

Although Madeline’s memory never faded in his heart, the days did get easier. He continued to work at the restaurant, sometimes bringing Hope with him. She loved to come back in the kitchen and watch him cook. “I’m going to be a chef one day, too, daddy.” she would say. Todd took her to the movies, shopping, and of course to the park. He spent every minute of his free time with Hope, taking her places and teaching her things. He liked to imagine that Madeline was with them, smiling as they had fun together.

At work one afternoon, Todd was in his office getting ready to go home. Tracy came in to say hello and they chatted for a few moments.
“So what are you and Hope getting into today?” Tracy asked.
Todd smiled as he packed this things. “She wants me to take her to town shopping. She says she needs a new dollhouse, although I have no idea where we’ll put it.”
Tracy smiled. “Girls need things, Todd.” she laughed. She then looked at him with concern. “Todd, have you ever thought about moving into a bigger place? It seems like you and Hope are getting a little cramped in that trailer.”
Todd stopped what he was doing. He looked down at his papers as tried to fight back tears.
Tracy saw that something was wrong. “Todd? Are you ok? Did I say something?” she said.
Todd continued to look down. “The day Madeline died, she and I were supposed to buy a house.” he said with sadness in his voice. “Our dream house in the country, she said. Just like on TV.” A tear fell down Todd’s face. He quickly wiped it away.
Tracy put her hand on his back. “Oh my god, Todd, I’m so sorry. I didn’t know that or I wouldn’t have said…”
He picked his head up and took a deep breath. “It’s okay, Tracy. I never told anyone else about it.” He started packing his briefcase again.
She helped him get his papers straight. “So, is that why you’re still at the trailer?” She asked.
Todd kept his head down. The thought of moving scared him. He was supposed to buy that house for Madeline and she wasn’t here anymore. He couldn’t leave her at the trailer, all of those memories. What if he started to forget? What if Madeline just became a memory from the past and nothing more?

He lifted up his briefcase. “I’m still there because Madeline is there. I can’t leave her.” He started toward the door.
Tracy followed him. “Todd, you know I’m your best friend, and I love you, right?”
Todd stopped walking, looked down at his feet with his back to her and nodded.
She continued. “You can’t stay in the trailer forever. Hope needs a real home. A stable home, with you. You will never leave Madeline, Todd. You’ll never lose her memory. She’ll go with you, wherever you go.”
Todd started wiping the tears from his eyes. Tracy reached out to him and he turned around. She put her arms around him while he laid his head on her shoulder and cried.

That night, after he put Hope to bed, Todd thought about what Tracy had said. He sat down on the living room couch in silence. What if she’s right? He thought. He knew Hope needed a real home. He looked around the room, at the pictures of him and Madeline hanging on the wall. He thought about the first time she kissed him, right there in front of the couch. He felt a lump in his throat.
He stood up and walked to the kitchen. “Ugh,” he said, sadly, “I just can’t do it.” He stood in the entrance to the kitchen looking at the table. He remembered all the meals he fixed for her, all the beautiful conversations they’d had there. Tears were coming to his eyes again. “Damn it, Madeline, I can’t let you go.”
He kept walking through the house to the bedroom. He thought about the first time they made love, the day they conceived their daughter. He remembered when she left him and then how happy he was the day she came back. “I’ll never forget those days, Madeline.” He looked over at her picture on the wall, hung over her urn next to the bed. He walked over to it and looked up at her face. “I still love you so much,” he said to her, “I’d give anything to have you back.” He touched her urn. “I know I should move on, everyone’s telling me it’s the right thing to do but I just can’t, Madeline. I’m so scared.” he put his head in his hands, tears coming down his face once again. “Please help me, Madeline, tell me what to do.”
He stood there crying when he felt a warm sensation come over him. Suddenly he felt someone’s hand on his shoulder. He picked his head up and turned around quickly. “Madeline?” He said. No one was there. He held his breath as he looked around the room. “It is you.” he whispered. He exhaled, feeling refreshed, like he had new life put back into him. “Ok.” he said out loud. “I know what I need to do.”
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 1:02 PM
Default Pieces of You

Hope picked it out within an hour of driving through the country. “That’s it, Dad! That’s the one!” she said, excited. Todd looked at the light blue house with the picket fence. Madeline would have picked this one too, he thought. “You’re sure? This is the one you like?” Hope bounced up and down in her seat. “Yes, Dad! I love it!” They did all the paperwork and within a few weeks they were moved in. Hope picked the room she wanted and Todd helped her decorate. Hope placed her photo of Madeline in a silver frame on her nightstand by the bed. Todd watched her stare at her mother’s face. She never talked much about her to Todd. Todd knew she was just trying to be tough, just like her mother. Before he tucked Hope into bed at night he would see her talking to Madeline’s picture. Tell her about her day, let out her frustrations, and sometimes cry. She would tell Madeline good night, kiss her photo, and place it under her pillow. She did it every night. Hope didn’t know that Todd knew, and he never pushed her to talk about her mother. One day she’ll ask, he thought, and I’ll tell her everything she wants to know.

“So what would my princess like for dinner tonight?” Todd asked Hope. She walked into the kitchen and set her earphones down on the counter. “Ugh, Dad, I’m too old to still be your princess.” she said. Todd laughed as he fixed her favorite supper, his special burgers. The same burgers he fixed for her mother the day they met. She was turning 16 in a few weeks and they’d already planned a big party at Londoste. She was inviting all her friends from school and Todd even rented a limo to take them to and from the party. He loved spoiling her. “Did you get your homework done?” he asked as he took the pan from the stove. Hope walked over to the table. “Yes, Dad. Homework is done.” She set the silverware down at their places. Todd set their plates down and pulled the chair out for her. “You know Dad, you keep doing this and you’re going to make it very hard for me to find a boyfriend to live up to your standard.” she smiled and said as she sat down. He laughed. He thought about how Madeline would tease him just like that for his old fashioned good manners. “That’s good, you don’t deserve any less.” he said as he sat down with her.

Todd looked across the table at Hope. She was so much like her mother, he saw her every time he looked into her sparkling blue eyes. He didn’t feel sad about losing Madeline anymore because he knew that he still had part of her with him every day, calling him Dad. Hope put her burger down and looked at him. “Dad, what was mom like?” Todd’s tried to hide his surprise. “What?” he said. She looked at him in the eyes. “I want you to tell me everything about mom. I know you loved her. She must have been wonderful.” she said. Todd smiled. “Yes she was. She was the most wonderful person I’d ever met.” He went on to tell her about how they met, how sweet and kind she was to him, and how she was the one who talked him into being a chef. “She gave me a reason to believe in myself.” he said. “She gave me a reason to live.” Hope’s blue eyes filled with tears listening to her dad’s story. “I wish I could remember her.” she said, sadly. Todd reached out and touched Hope’s hand. “She’s always with you, Hope. Anytime you ever feel scared or feel like you need someone just know that she’s there.” He said. “Just imagine her hand on your shoulder and you’ll be fine. You’ll feel her love in your heart, always.” Hope smiled and held his hand. “I love you, Dad.” she said. He smiled. “I love you too, Hope.”

**Thanks to everyone who read my story! Please leave comments, it gives me inspiration to keep writing! Constructive criticism is appreciated!**
Field Researcher
#21 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 7:53 PM
One of the best stories I've read! Very natural way of sharing their stories and you brought the characters to life beautifully! Thank you for sharing that with us.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 12:32 AM
This was great! I only wish it was longer and that Madeline had come back but I agree with the above. Very beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 5:51 PM
Thank you so much for the compliments! I thought about making an alternate ending, but I would have to resurrect Madeline and I don't have Uni yet.

I am also thinking about another story with Hope as the main character. We'll see.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 9:16 AM
Ohh I really love this story It's great. I'm glad it wasn't just another husband/wife cheating storyline like everyone elses so I was relieved when she wasn't cheating . I really enjoyed reading this, I read it all at once hehe I hope that Hope grows up well in your game and that the daddy can get through the rest of his life

"When darkness falls hope is a concept broken with suffering."