Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 5:18 AM Last edited by MistyDW : 8th Mar 2014 at 4:16 PM.
Default "Murder on the Run" -- <A murder/mystery challenge>
Murder/Mystery Case Files

INTRODUCTION – This is a very different challenge (at least from anything I’ve seen) in the fact that it is an ongoing, story-driven, series of events that surround a murder/mystery challenge. It is not designed to take a great deal of your time (maybe an hour or so a week). It is designed to create a lot of fun conversations on the forums and will test your mad sleuthing skills. I hope you like the seedy underbelly of sim-life because we’re going to be seeing a lot of that in this challenge!

BACKGROUND -- You are a top notch private investigator. There is a killer on the loose and he/she is so confident in their ability to stay one step ahead (and essentially make fools out of everyone) that they leave you weekly clues DARING you to follow them. These clues, interpreted correctly, will lead you deeper and deeper into a world of intrigue, betrayal, infidelity, and many other sins. Fail to do your job as an investigator and you will be the next victim!

GETTING STARTED -- The purpose of this first post is simply setup. Introducing you to how the game will be played. Essentially, that’s what this is…a game. The murderer pulling the strings and all the puppets dance. The question is can you get to him (or her) before they get to you? This challenge will involve a lengthy chase across multiple towns, interviewing sims, unraveling cryptic clues, and ultimately (at some point) may end up in you busting this case wide open and bringing a killer to justice!

THE TOWNS – The town we will be starting in is Sunset Valley. I’m going to be sticking to primary (base game & expansion) towns (nothing from the store). If we come to a town you don’t have, then just follow along until we arrive at a town you do have. We’ll be in sunset valley for the first few weeks and everyone has that!

THE INVESTIGATOR – You can create a family if you like; however, for the purpose of this challenge, you only need one character. I’m not going to give you traits. Those are totally up to you. What I would suggest is that you thoroughly read this introduction (as I will be describing how this process will work and giving examples of what you might expect). You design your character based on what YOU think will help you in solving the case.

EVENTS – Once a week I will post an event. This may range from a public announcement, newspaper article, or a private conversation involving your character and a client, etc. Events describe something that has happened (usually a murder). Anything that is relevant to the murder will be disclosed although just because something is relevant doesn't make it true. Cases will involve standard sims that come preloaded into the town when you launch it. To avoid someone moving out, you should be able to turn story progression off. There may be some clues in the event notice which may require you to follow a victim's path in your own town. You may need a particular skill that you need to develop. You’ll be doing a lot of work outside (regardless of the weather) and everything isn’t going to be easy to get to!

NOTES FORM “MISTER X” – Along with the public event announcement, you will receive an envelope from Mister X (the killer) containing additional information for your eyes only. The question is; do you believe everything you read? Some things may be interpreted multiple ways and unless you do well at piecing the clues together, you may end up on a wild goose chase! These will usually contain a riddle. Something you’re looking for that he left behind for you on the trail. Maybe he passed a brick house on his way to the murder scene and you’ll be getting familiar with possible routes and houses that match that description (these are just some examples). Once you think you’ve unraveled the clues, you can either post on the forum and share with your fellow sleuths or send me a private message. If you’ve got it right, you’ll get the right clue, if you got it wrong, you’ll get a bogus one. Problem is…I won’t be telling you if you got it right or wrong. If you think you may have made a mistake, you can always PM me and let me know you’ve backtracked and want to go a different route. If that means a different clue, I’ll give it to you.

THE BIG DECISION -- Toward the end of the week, Mister X will post on the forum again. This time he’ll be leaving two locations and you have to decide which one makes sense with your findings and seems like a logical place to go and which is a trap. You can only choose one. You’ll then respond on the forum (or to me in PM if you like) with where your character went. If you choose poorly, the killer will be lying in wait for you and your PI will be dead before he/she hits the ground! Before the next week's event takes place, I'll post all the clues that were given and what was and wasn't the right thing to do (just for your information).

I’M DEAD…NOW WHAT -- If you end up following the wrong clues/coming to the wrong conclusions and the killer gets you, you can still play but you will have to restart your character. For this reason, I recommend saving him/her to the clipboard immediately after you make them. That way you can just load them back up for the next round. Downside is you will have lost any skill progression you made.

SO GIVE ME AN EXAMPLE ALREADY -- I’ve hardly given you any information about what you might be facing. You may find yourself (before this challenge is out) having to pay a prostitute for information, follow the killer into the deep blue sea, staking out someone’s house or tailing someone because you’ve got a clue that their mistress knows too much and you don’t have a clue who that is yet. Obviously you might get a break and find out what you need right away or you could send days. It’s just the luck of the draw sometimes (such is the life of a private investigator).

OK SO WHAT ABOUT THE DETAILS? – Everything should be set to normal (although aging should be off for the time being). Choose a home and set your family funds to 1,000. You may only earn money by working your PI career (doing the jobs as they come up). For successfully surviving each week, you will be given a bonus that will help you along the way.

HERE IS WHAT I NEED FROM YOU!
Obviously this is a commitment on my part (and one I'm happy to make) but I don't want to waste my time if this doesn't seem like fun! Please respond and let me know if you'd like to participate or suggestions you have for the challenge. That would be hugely helpful and much appreciated.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 11:33 AM
Okay, this looks like so much fun! I can't wait to start :3
Instructor
#3 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 2:50 PM
I knew this would be awesome! You can count me in, of course.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 6:45 PM
Just a suggestion... It is possible to create a group of sorts on this website. You might want to add the people who say they want to join in to a group where you can do private postings with the weekly info. It isn't necessary of course, but it would insure that you know people are actively playing and who those people are.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 7:15 PM
How cool is this!! I would love to participate.

Absolutely Cuckoo - I'm Surrounded By Idiots
Pollard - a Boolprop EPIC challenge
Test Subject
#6 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 8:11 PM
This sounds like it's going to be really interesting and very different from my normal gameplay. I would love to try please. I do have one question, how long do you anticipate this going on? I can make the commitment if it's going to last weeks or a few months, but if it's going to last years I'm not sure I'd last.

Also are there any restrictions on mods? My game is pretty heavily modded. I have most of the NRaas mods including Relativity (so my sims can get more stuff done in a day). I also have a variety of tuning mods that make things more fun, stop the murphy bed being fatal, stop meteors and stuff like that. No mods that make it quicker to learn skills though. Would the type of mods I have installed be allowed?

Thank you for this, it sounds like you've already put a huge amount of time and effort into thinking up this challenge. I really hope it takes off.
Test Subject
#7 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 8:15 PM
This is awesome! I'm pretty excited to get started. Let's see if my self-sim shall live!
Field Researcher
#8 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 8:56 PM
Sounds fun. Count me in.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 10:07 PM
Im in.. What If we have to start over? Do we start with the first clue?
Test Subject
#10 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 11:03 PM
Im in, I think it will be fun
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 11:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kimlupai
This sounds like it's going to be really interesting and very different from my normal gameplay. I would love to try please. I do have one question, how long do you anticipate this going on? I can make the commitment if it's going to last weeks or a few months, but if it's going to last years I'm not sure I'd last.

Also are there any restrictions on mods? My game is pretty heavily modded. I have most of the NRaas mods including Relativity (so my sims can get more stuff done in a day). I also have a variety of tuning mods that make things more fun, stop the murphy bed being fatal, stop meteors and stuff like that. No mods that make it quicker to learn skills though. Would the type of mods I have installed be allowed?

Thank you for this, it sounds like you've already put a huge amount of time and effort into thinking up this challenge. I really hope it takes off.

Thank you! As far as mods go, I will post any restrictions. As long as your mod doesn't interfere with what you're being asked to do, it should be just fine. If it does, just disable it in-game or we can work on a work around. I don't want anyone to have to uninstall/reinstall mods (I have several myself, mostly NRaas).

As far as how long this will last, this particular storyline will probably last several weeks (6-8 I'm guessing) and if we come to a conclusion of some sort and it's still really popular, we may restart with a new story that you can opt in or out of. You can quit anytime you like. You don't have to commit yourself to anything to participate!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 11:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lop90804
Im in.. What If we have to start over? Do we start with the first clue?

No. This is an active timeline although you can go back if you want to, you don't have to. You'll just be rejoining the challenge at the next update. Downside is that you may not be as well prepared (skill wise) as those who did well.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 11:22 PM
Thanks to everyone who said they were in. I had no idea this would be so popular! I half expected to come home and see no responses! Just a heads up, the first event is taking place tomorrow night! Wouldn't it be awesome if you were the first to make it through our very first case together!
Field Researcher
#14 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 11:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MistyDW
No. This is an active timeline although you can go back if you want to, you don't have to. You'll just be rejoining the challenge at the next update. Downside is that you may not be as well prepared (skill wise) as those who did well.

So it wouldn't matter if i missed a clue?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 11:36 PM
Well yes and no.

If you miss clues while you're playing, obviously that's going to be bad because you may end up trying to bribe the wrong person, breaking into the wrong house, or whatnot (which will most likely end up in you choosing the wrong location in the and getting yourself killed). Here's the thing though, you delete your character and replace him with the one in your clipboard (bin) to set him up for the next challenge (or you can create an entirely new person). At this point (while you're waiting for the next event to be posted for you) you cannot try to catch up by working on skills you might have lost (or think you'll need) as you'll have deal with being low on skills when the new event begins. This is one of the perks for the detectives who made it through the last event without dying. Still, it won't be a deal breaker. You'll have time to get where you need to be skill wise (keeping in mind some events may not even require much in the way of skills).

You do not have to go back to any previous events and re-do them. The killer wants a challenge so any "new detectives" that come back (or join late) will be given all of the information available up until the point they joined (or returned if they died) so that they are ready to be a contender in the next event.

I don't know if that makes sense. If not, I'd just say give it a try and ask questions as we go along. It's pretty straight forward
Mad Poster
#16 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 11:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ladykelien
Just a suggestion... It is possible to create a group of sorts on this website. You might want to add the people who say they want to join in to a group where you can do private postings with the weekly info. It isn't necessary of course, but it would insure that you know people are actively playing and who those people are.

Are groups private, as in you have to be a member to even read the posts? Because if so, I'd advise against a group personally. I'm interested in this but I'm also someone who has the attention span of roadkill and would prefer to just follow along with the thread until I'm sure I can actually play the challenge without going MEH BORED like a five year old.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 11:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BL00DIEDHELL
Are groups private, as in you have to be a member to even read the posts? Because if so, I'd advise against a group personally. I'm interested in this but I'm also someone who has the attention span of roadkill and would prefer to just follow along with the thread until I'm sure I can actually play the challenge without going MEH BORED like a five year old.

We'll start out without a group and see how that works. If it looks like something that would be a good idea, we can take a vote or whatnot on whether to make one at some point.
Instructor
#18 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 11:58 PM
I'm interested, too, but I won't always have time to participate. I would definitely like to read what happens, so if groups are private I would also be oppose it. I am excited about (potentially) participating, though! I love murder mysteries--my significant other threw a murder mystery b-day party for me once. Of course, I was the murderer. ^^;;

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 12:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by owl_face
I'm interested, too, but I won't always have time to participate. I would definitely like to read what happens, so if groups are private I would also be oppose it. I am excited about (potentially) participating, though! I love murder mysteries--my significant other threw a murder mystery b-day party for me once. Of course, I was the murderer. ^^;;

That's sort of the beauty of this challenge. You can come and go as you please. Participate in what you can or watch others do it. Obviously the more you participate, the better prepared your character will be for future challenges (skill wise) but that can be overcome. We're all busy with real lives. My "plan" (and feel free to comment if you don't like the idea) is to operate on the following schedule:

Friday Nights - Event Opener
This is the public announcement of something that has happened that requires your investigative skills, a private message from "Mister X", and any special instructions from me.

Over the weekend - Investigation
This is where you start following the clues, bribing the hookers, drugging the witnesses (did I say that), and basically doing your legwork. If you unravel the clues from Friday night, you can either post your findings to the group or contact me via PM and get your additional clue(s).

Sunday Night - The Big Decision
Sometime Sunday evening the killer will post two locations. One will contain a vital clue (i.e. removing a suspect from your list, etc.) while the other is intended to lure those who may have struggled finding the right path to an early grave. You can respond with your choice on the forums.

Monday/Tuesday (depending on if most everyone has responded) - The Big Reveal
This is where I let you in on what really went down and what happened to your character when you went to one of the two locations from the killer.

Does that seem like a good timeline for most?
Field Researcher
#20 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 12:22 AM
This seems interesting, I'll probably participate, provided I remember.
Instructor
#21 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 12:32 AM
That timeline sounds good to me--I don't think I'll always be able to play (I know I'll have time for the next two weeks, but then work will pick up again and I will have 0 simming time) , but I'll definitely try.

Test Subject
#22 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 12:50 AM
It's a really good timeline
Arrggh, I'm so excited, I'm going to make my sim-self now xD
Field Researcher
#23 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 1:06 AM
Very sorry, last question I promise. Can I put more than one sim in the house? maybe a kid?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 1:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lop90804
Very sorry, last question I promise. Can I put more than one sim in the house? maybe a kid?

You can have an entire family if you want but they can't help you when you are investigating the case. It should just be your private detective. Otherwise, feel free to have whatever family, pets, etc. you like!
Mad Poster
#25 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 1:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MistyDW
We'll start out without a group and see how that works. If it looks like something that would be a good idea, we can take a vote or whatnot on whether to make one at some point.

Good to know, thanks!
Page 1 of 4