Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 9:00 AM
Default Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Challenge
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
A kidnapping and then legacy-like challenge.
The back story is that of an American frontier town, where there are more women than men. Seven brothers want to get married, and one is successful- he marries a girl he has only met that day! His wife sees how slovenly his brothers are and teaches them a little bit about how to court a woman, and the men go into town to try and find wives. Through a series of unfortunate events (wherein the brothers get into a fight with the local men at a party and win but can’t show their faces anymore) they decide that the only way to get to marry their sweethearts is to bypass parental permission entirely by kidnapping them. See the 1954 movie of the same title for reference on the story: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047472/
1. Essentially they follow the eldest brother ‘s idea to kidnap their girls, and on the way back to their ranch in the mountains in early winter they make enough noise to cause an avalanche, which blocks the only path into town and traps everyone until spring. When they boys bring their prizes to the ranch the eldest brother’s wife doesn’t let the men back in and only the girls can stay- while the men have sleep in the barn all winter.
2. The men must then go to great lengths to woo their girls without being able to see them much, and if they cannot get engaged by the spring thaw when the pass is open again the townsfolk will have access to the ranch and string up the lot of them!

TL:DR?-> You have to kidnap 3-6 brides for your brothers and start as enemies living in separate houses on the same lot. You cannot play the women other than the eldest brother’s wife (who only met him that day). If the men do not succeed in getting their girls to agree to marry them by the spring festival they will be killed by the townsfolk.
-> I’ve made two versions of this challenge! I’m playing it more like the movie (V2), but there is also a simpler version one (V1) if you don’t want as much set up or rules. V1 requires NO MODS, whereas for V2 I recommend NRAAS Mover, Portrait Panel and Master Controller (to have the required 14 sims in house). It would be best played with seasons for the setting, but you could limit game time to a 2-3 week time limit to woo the girls.
Start in fall-send the men into town to look for the girls at the fall festival first. They can then go anywhere to look for them, but do NOT cheat and go into edit town to find them- just have the men go out every afternoon to look until they find the right girl- this is part of the challenge. I gave the girls the a last name starting with the first letter of the boy they were intended for, so for example Caleb was looking for Louise Cabella in town. Remember, you have until the first day of the Spring festival to win the ladies over or all the men are killed and you’ve failed the challenge!

Version One (No Mods, easier) You will need;
1. If you are playing with seasons, you may change the length of winter to be twice as long as normal.
2. A large lot with a house and a barn.
3. A family made up of four sims- three brothers and the wife of the eldest.
4. A family that are ‘the girls’, unless you just want to kidnap girls from town. Two sims here.
5. Upon meeting the girl they like, they MUST get her to AGREE to ‘come over’.
6. Once the first girl visits you may either lock her in the house or cheat to ‘add to family’ and then lock her in the house, your choice. Once the first girl is kidnapped this way, all of the men must be locked OUT of the main house and given access to the barn, where they now sleep.
7. Set the relationship of the kidnapped girl and the brother who likes her to ‘disliked’
8. Purchases- Now you may buy anything that the house or barn needs so both have a kitchen, bathrooms etc. You may buy one item for each brother according to his traits (like a pull up bar for an athletic sim or a guitar for a virtuoso). The girls can use anything in the house that they want, but Milly cooks meals and still must clean the entire lot.
9. Go into town ONCE for supplies- buy frugally, a few seeds and up to five books or a bookshelf.
10. Once the house/ barn is set, use the Familyfunds cheat to bring income down to 1,000 Simoleans.
11. Work- this can be tricky! The men must work in some way to earn money to court their female WITHOUT going into town! They must make something at home to sell, have a garden, use any store content like the greenhouse items, the dairy corral, the chicken coop etc if you like. No careers either, remember the town hates them! I set up a garden, a scrap pile with toolmaking bench and a sculpture wheel.
12. The women may leave the house for TWO HOURS a night- simply unlock the door. This is the only chance the men have to talk to them.
13. Friendly interactions are only allowed until the boys are ready to ‘confess’, at which point they must give the girls a gift worth $250 and have it be accepted by the girl first. THEN they may try romance. Once the gift is accepted, the girl will be allowed outside for 3 hours a night.
14. In order to propose marriage to a girl the man must give another gift valued at $250.
15. Once the girl accepts the brother as her fiancé you can click on her and play her like any other sim.

Version Two (Mods required, Hard mode)
1. If you are playing with seasons, do not change the length of winter.
2. A large lot with a house and a barn (I set up seven beds in each building, with a master suite for the eldest brother in the house).
3. A family made up of 8 Sims; The eldest brother Adam is married to his wife, Milly.
4. A family that are ‘the girls’, unless you just want to kidnap girls from town.
5. Upon meeting the girl they like, they MUST get her to friendship level AND agree to ‘come over’.
6. Once the first girl visits you may either lock her in the house or cheat to ‘add to family’and then lock her in the house, your choice. Once the first girl is kidnapped this way, all of the men except the eldest (Adam) must be locked OUT of the main house and given access to the barn, where they now sleep.
7. Set the relationship of the kidnapped girl and the brother who likes her to ‘enemies’.
8. Once Milly is pregnant, THEN Adam is locked out of the house and the boys can begin to try and win over their girls. This step is to add to the story (follows the movie plot, so only if you like the idea)
9. Purchases- Now you may buy anything that the house or barn needs so both have a kitchen, bathrooms etc. You may buy one item for each brother according to his traits (like a pull up bar for an athletic sim or a guitar for a virtuoso). The girls can use anything in the house that they want, but Milly cooks meals and still must clean the entire lot.
10. Go into town ONCE for supplies- buy frugally, a few seeds and up to five books or a bookshelf.
11. Once the house/ barn is set, use the Familyfunds cheat to bring income down to 1,000 Simoleans.
12. Work- this can be tricky! The men must work in some way to earn money to court their female WITHOUT going into town! They must make something at home to sell, have a garden, use any store content like the greenhouse items, the dairy corral, the chicken coop etc if you like. No careers either, remember the town hates them! I set up a garden, a scrap pile with toolmaking bench and a sculpture wheel.
13. The women may leave the house for TWO HOURS a night- simply unlock the door. This is the only chance the men have to talk to them.
14. Friendly interactions are only allowed until the boys are ready to ‘confess’, at which point they must give the girls a gift worth $500 and have it be accepted by the girl first. THEN they may try romance. Once the gift is accepted, the girl will be allowed outside for 3 hours a night.
15. In order to propose marriage to a girl the man must give another gift valued at $500.
16. Once the girl accepts the brother as her fiancé you can click on her and play her like any other sim. You can get married at this point if you like.
17. To ensure that their families will not kill their fiancés, each girl must also become pregnant by spring!

The Sims;
Adam and Milly are married. The boys can go and meet the girls or trap them in the house but they may NOT try to ‘court’ them until every girl is captured. Once that happens even Adam sleeps in the barn.
The two other brothers are Benjamen and Caleb. For this version you may choose any girl or you can create them- Liza is Benjamen’s girl and Lou (or Louise) is Caleb’s.
Make EVERY brother a slob, then choose two of each from the following traits for the brothers;
Good traits; Flirty, friendly, nurturing, family oriented, easily impressed, good, neat, virtuoso, loves the outdoors, animal lover, great sense of humor
Bad Traits; Hopeless romantic (takes longer to fall in love), mooch, rebellious, clumsy, excitable, unlucky, perfectionist, shy, hot-headed, Inappropriate

Version 2- Adam and Milly are married, but acquaintances. The boys can go and meet the girls or trap them in the house but they may NOT try to ‘court’ them again until Milly is pregnant, every girl is captured and Adam is also kicked out of the house (he has a negative influence on his brothers). For V2 the brothers are named in order of the alphabet- in the movie this is; Adam, Benjamen, Caleb, Daniel, Ephraim, Frankincense (or Frank) and the youngest is Gideon.
For V2 you can either follow the personalities from the movie or just replace one of the ‘bad’ traits with one of the following; Mean-spirited, unflirty, no sense of humor, evil, over-emotional, absent-minded, snob, grumpy, hates the outdoors or couch potato.
From the movie, here are the traits I came up with;
Adam married Milly. Adam (Loves the Outdoors, Hopeless Romantic, Perfectionist, slob, evil) Milly (Easily Impressed, Natural Cook, Family oriented, Neat, Nurturing)
Benjamen + Liza. Benjamen (Good Sense of Humor, Inappropriate, virtuoso, great kisser, slob) Liza (Excitable, Easily Impressed, Shy, neat, virtuoso)
Caleb + Louise. Caleb (Loser, Neurotic, grumpy, socially awkward, slob) Louise (diva, light sleeper, artistic, easily impressed, green thumb)
Daniel + Martha. Daniel (Friendly, Shy, excitable, nurturing, slob) Martha (Unflirty, snob, proper, handy, coward)
Ephraim + Dorcas. Ephraim (Charismatic, schmoozer, gatherer, neurotic, slob) Dorcas (flirty, perceptive, mean-spirited, family oriented, irresistible)
Frank + Sarah. Frank (Hot-headed, No sense of humor, over emotional, loves the cold, slob) Sarah (charismatic, clumsy, childish, nurturing, great kisser)
Gideon + Alice. Gideon (Loves the outdoors, easily impressed, good, friendly, slob) Alice (Friendly, social butterfly, absent-minded, easily impressed, born saleswoman)

This is an all-or nothing sort of challenge, so if even one brother does not get his girl to fall in love than the town will take revenge on all of the men and just take their daughters back. As long as each couple is engaged by the end of the first day of the spring festival you have won the challenge.
This is also a good ‘seed’ challenge for starting your own legacy or town- good luck and happy simming!

Bread edges.... are the new white meat.
READ the Sparrows Random Legacy Challenge Blog
READ the Sparrows WISHACY Challenge Blog
WATCH the Test of Time Challenge Let's Play! Videos
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 7:20 PM
Update on gameplay testing! (also, testers appreciated for this and I'd love to hear thoughts on the rules and timing of the challenge especially).

I found an awesome lot to play this family in, the 'Redwood Peak' in the DLC world "Hidden Springs". That world has a lot of great hangouts but I took the overlook and built a barn and house on it. It's naturally situated over the town, sims can't drive up to it, and the view is beautiful- right next to a waterfall! It's a Sims 3 store world. I also remade that lot and uploaded it to my dashboard at the Sims 3 site for anyone who has that world and would rather not convert the site itself. I'm Frogsnack there too.

My Overview on Youtube- https://youtu.be/E18Ju4O5JgI
World- http://store.thesims3.com/hiddenSpr...&section=UpSell
Lot- http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail...assetId=8882894

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 1:41 AM
Turns out I got the pairings wrong initially (I took notes from watching the movie, turns out there's a wiki for it!) If you're a purist and want things to be 'right' then read on!

Three of my pairings were incorrect, here are the correct ones (if you want to match up with the movie instead of just trying out the challenge);

Adam & Milly
Benjamin & Dorcas
Caleb & Ruth
Daniel & Martha
Ephraim & Liza
Frank & Sara
Gideon & Alice