Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 9:08 PM
Default Which version should I install: Disc or Ultimate collection?
Ok, so apparently I have to uninstall my game and start all over, so I would like to hear opinions what should I do?

I own all the discs (all EPs an SPs), and since today I have been playing only from the disc. But I found out, that Oldgames has Ultimate collection for download. So, now I am wondering which one is better, disc version or UC?
I would love to use Reshade, but it doesn´t work (or at least it is more difficult to make working) when played from disc.
Is there some other things that I should consider and is it even legal to download that Ultimate collection from that page? Or should I just keep using discs? I have windows 7, if that matters.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 9:15 PM
I think if you have access to both, you should probably go with the UC. I think from what I remember, they've updated it to work a bit better on newer computers, and also you don't have to spend eight hours sequentially installing all of the discs and the patches in precisely the right order.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 9:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
- - you don't have to spend eight hours sequentially installing all of the discs and the patches in precisely the right order.

Agree That is very much one big reason why I am considering UC version, because disc installation will take whole day
Forum Resident
#4 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 10:12 PM
I had the discs of the base game, night life, seasons, and university, but when the ultimate collection came out for free a while back, I downloaded the ultimate collection because it has all the expansions, stuff packs, Etc. and I haven't regretted it ever since. For me it runs better than the discs.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 10:38 PM
I prefer discs, personally.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 11:39 PM
If I had to reinstall, I would go with UC as I don't have all the expansions and stuff packs, which limits what cc I can download. When I did reinstall a few years ago it was a huge hassle to get it to work and took forever. Also, discs don't last forever.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 11:50 PM
I prefer my disks because I don't need Origin and I own them outright.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#8 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 11:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by karlakoo
Is there some other things that I should consider and is it even legal to download that Ultimate collection from that page? Or should I just keep using discs? I have windows 7, if that matters.
There's a 99.9% chance you're not going to get in trouble for downloading it, because EA doesn't care about Sims 2, but no; it's not legal.
Theorist
#9 Old 25th Jul 2020 at 12:12 AM
Discs all the way for me. Screw EA/Origin. I reinstalled via discs on a newer gaming desktop earlier this year, and just made sure to remove SecuRom.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#10 Old 25th Jul 2020 at 8:10 AM
I had no choice other than installing UC on this computer and cpoied my entire Origin Games progream directory from the internalt hard drive over to one of my external hard drives and once even accidently launched from the back up install on the external hard drive and the game actuall launched and ran fine.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 25th Jul 2020 at 12:43 PM
I got UC from this exact same site and it runs smoothly for me on Win10 (except for the Ikea SP which for some eason didn't install and I had to download separately)
Not having to deal with the old discs (which are at my parents' home anyway) saves quite a lot of trouble with the installation.
I guess it's technically illegal to download it but is there really a legal way to obtain the game nowadays? The odds of someone coming after you for an old, unsupported game are pretty slim

I don't have any experience with Reshade but I know herbalwhite on tumblr got it to work with the downloaded UC : https://herbalwhite.tumblr.com/post...-its-so-cool-to
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 25th Jul 2020 at 3:09 PM Last edited by karlakoo : 25th Jul 2020 at 8:03 PM.
Thanks everyone! think I am going to trying UC and leave my discs at peace for now

Actually after I read all the comments from the oldgamesdownloads, I found out that there has been a lot of problems with that downloaded version, so because of that, I think I have to stick with the discs...
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 27th Jul 2020 at 5:14 PM
Thanks everyone! think I am going to trying UC and leave my discs at peace for now

Actually after I read all the comments from the oldgamesdownloads, I found out that there has been a lot of problems with that downloaded version, so because of that, I think I have to stick with the discs...

If you email origin support with proof that you have an original sims 2 copy, they may give you the sims 2 ultimate collection. I really do not understand why EA haven't released UC on origin and steam, especially steam, where I think most people would want to play it

JESSE!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 27th Jul 2020 at 6:03 PM
^ They don't want to give away TS2 for free as long as they can still sell TS4 for money.

I don't think they anticipated just how popular TS2 still was when they offered the UC for free... They probably just thought it would be a great way to get people hooked onto Origin to get a free game, so they later would buy TS4, and probably still get annoyed every time people ask them if they can get TS2 for free
Mad Poster
#15 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 12:20 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 28th Jul 2020 at 4:58 PM.
^ You don't necessarily have to be connected to Origin, or be online. A small trick, and my Origin version is now offline (doesn't even wake up Origin) and working relatively fine.

(Honestly, it's such a hassle with TS4 I wish it was as easy to do the same there too... Not that I play much - Origin/TS4 sends my laptop into "hot potato" mode almost immediately despite only 2 EPs and next to no CC, which I find quite strange because this thing is a gaming laptop and does have the cooling system of a medium jet engine when it gets going - full TS2 takes ages to reach that level )

As for what to choose - I guess it comes down to preference and what you are comfortable with. Both have advantages and disadvantages, and neither is 100% perfect, but both lets you play the game. I prefer discs and have used discs until I got my new laptop, but now I use the UC (because otherwise I have to use an external disc drive to install, and probably have to figure out how to remove securom or Win10 will throw a tantrum, and *sigh* I can't be bothered when there's a version that eliminates both those issues).

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 4:52 PM
Actually what happened with my game is, that I tried to reinstall it using discs...but it wasn´t possible. There was some error notifications that said I still have some EP installed, even I used Revo unistalling to delete everything Sims related. After trying for a day, I got so angry that I installed that UC after all. And it works perfectly, no problems there. Now I am trying to make reshade working with it, but even I do all exactly same way like here and here, it crashes when loading neighborhood. I even connected my computer to the internet to install reshade correcty. Installing was succesful, and it loaded, but then crashed.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 5:01 PM
Tip on using discs with win10 if you're having issues with installing: https://plumbobble-head.tumblr.com/...iscs-on-windows

This pink-flashy tip seems to have saved my game from complete pink-hell (is now included in the newest version of the GraphicsRuleMaker) - https://episims.tumblr.com/post/190...-helped-me-with

GraphicsRuleMaker: https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker (now with the pink-flashy fix above)

4GB fix and the other ones listed here can also be helpful: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 12:08 AM
Actually what happened with my game is, that I tried to reinstall it using discs...but it wasn´t possible. There was some error notifications that said I still have some EP installed, even I used Revo unistalling to delete everything Sims related. After trying for a day, I got so angry that I installed that UC after all. And it works perfectly, no problems there. Now I am trying to make reshade working with it, but even I do all exactly same way like here and here, it crashes when loading neighborhood. I even connected my computer to the internet to install reshade correcty. Installing was succesful, and it loaded, but then crashed.

Uninstalling and reinstalling on the same computer is not a good idea and it's the last thing anyone should ever try if their game is not working. Uninstalling can leave behind registry keys, your computer hung onto some files then when you tried to put that EP back on it thought it was still there. You have to manually go through the registry keys. Never uninstall unless you somehow corrupted the install so badly that you can't fix it by copying and pasting files off the disk.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~