Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
#51 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 8:27 AM
I hope S gets her too. Great update! Michaela seems like a terror!
Advertisement
Theorist
Original Poster
#52 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 8:28 AM
There's a few more parts left for this chapter. One of the upcoming parts goes into S's past a bit more... ooh, mysterious!
#53 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 8:30 AM
Oh ok, I'll wait....
Instructor
#54 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 8:48 AM
My hand itches to smack Micaela. Ha! Ha! Glad my babysitting days are long over. :D
I'm looking forward to learning about this mysterious Mr. S and still wanting to see how the three girls 'go crazy'. (Emily's expression as she too wonders is priceless. LOL!)
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 9:00 AM
Hmm, I just found this via Stormy's story. I like it! I'm especially impressed with how you juggle all the characters...having written a few multi-character stories, I know how hard that is.
I like the concept behind it, too, and I love how the characters aren't just stereotypes. Well, I know that's kind of the point of the story, but still, it's an easy trap to fall into.
And I actually really enjoyed the post about your creative process, because I'm a nerd like that...I love learning about how things were going to be. It's also good because it shows you put a lot of thought into this story, which is pretty cool all in all.
Also, Cy is so cute! I'm in love...
So that was a long post to tell you that I like your story, but still. I'm overly specific tonight, I guess.

*counter culture since '03 and counting*

"LMAO wtf r u syaing?!!1!"
The above sentence is not english. I only understand english. Thank you.
Theorist
Original Poster
#56 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 9:05 AM
Montridge and Julieth, thank you both for your kindness. Julieth, welcome onboard! I hope you'll continue to read this story.

stormy, I think you'll be a little surprised by S's backstory (let's just say he's gone through a lot).
Theorist
Original Poster
#57 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 12:00 PM
Default Chapter 3, Part 5
3:30 PM

Emily stood up and stretched, saying, “I have never watched so many episodes of Beavis and Butt-head in one sitting!”

“Well, what did you think our idea of partying was?” Ophelia replied.

Emily went back to sitting on the sofa. “Hey, Ophelia, the other day, you told me you’d tell me what the deal was with Cassandra and S. So, how about now?”

Cy rose and headed to the kitchen. “I know this story already. I’m going to make us something to snack on. Show off your storytelling skills, Lia.”

“Make yourself comfortable, Emily. This might be kind of long,” Ophelia said. Then, she began.

“Cassandra was adopted by the Verona family a few months after she was born. They never hid this fact from her. Now, that would be okay, normally, except the Verona family is definitely not a typical family. S is apparently a genetic oddity, as he’s completely normal.

“His dad, Nelson, was highly religious, and he made S’s mom, Catherine stay at home and cook and clean and pop out children nonstop. Nelson died last year, by the way."

Ophelia sighed and continued. "When S was about seven or eight, his older siblings, Felicity and Grant, about seventeen or eighteen at the time, were disowned from the family after refusing to give up rock music. S hasn’t heard from them since."

"What a jerk!" Emily remarked.

Ophelia nodded and said, "It gets even better. His older sister Madeline became promiscuous rather early. At the age of thirteen, she was caught fooling around with three guys at once. So, their dad sent her and S’s other sister, Theodora, who was about four years older than S, to an all-girl private school."

"What did Theodora do?" Emily asked.

"Theodora did nothing wrong, but since she was developing early, Nelson thought she would get into trouble. So, that just left S and Cassandra."

"How terrible!"

“Cassandra had no one she could rely on except S; her dad was a jerk, her mom was totally passive, and all her other siblings were too far away to help out. Things were all well and good for them for a while; Cassandra had her big brother to love her and protect her. But then, something changed."

Emily sat up and listened closely. Judging from Ophelia's tone, this "something" was pretty serious.

Ophelia said, "Their parents transferred them over to the school Charise and I were attending. S met Charise the first day he was there, and he immediately fell for her."

"Wow!" Emily remarked.

"Well," Ophelia continued, "Cassandra did not like the idea of anyone taking her big brother’s attention away. That was her big brother; she shouldn’t have to share him! That was her line of reasoning. Since then, Cassandra has not been too fond of Charise. She sees Charise as being competition for S’s affection.”

Emily sat silently for several seconds. She did not know how to respond. Ophelia cracked a smile and said, “It’s too serious now. Come on, let’s go see what Cy made for us.”

Cy peeked out from the kitchen, holding a coffee cup. She grinned. “Hey, Lia,” she said.

“Yeah, Cy?” Ophelia replied.

Cy made her voice as low and gravelly as possible and said, “Do you folks like coffee? Real coffee from the hills of Columbia?”

Ophelia laughed hysterically, while Emily looked on, puzzled. “I don’t get it,” she said.

Ophelia and Cy exchanged looks of amusement. “I guess this means we’re going to spend the next few hours watching Metalocalypse clips, eh?” Cy said.

“Well, the funniest ones, at least. Like the food library one and the coffee jingle.”

"You guys are so weird sometimes, but you're still cool," Emily remarked.
#58 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 6:39 PM
I wish I had friends like them. Cassandra seems a bit too possesive. I wonder what she'll do when some girl comes into S's life and they start dating or eventually get married! Ooh drama. Great update!!!
Theorist
Original Poster
#59 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 6:45 PM
Yes, that's the thing-- a girl did come into S's life (Charise), and he does want to start dating her, etc. The problem is that Cassandra doesn't want anyone taking away her big brother's attention.
Test Subject
#60 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 7:53 PM
just caught up on the last few chapter- this story is really progressing!
Im really interested to see if S can get Charise's attention.... cause that other guy she's with is... eww.

Lab Assistant
#61 Old 29th Jul 2007 at 4:42 AM
Yay update! Hmm, S has had an...unusual life. I actually really pity his sister Madeleine...and I guess I'm kind of mad, but I also feel bad for Cassandra. She's dependant and kind of creepy, but obviously kind of damaged...is it weird for me to pity her and also be a bit frightened? I keep feeling like she's going to stab Charise or something.
It's good to have some backstory on the mysterious S, though, and we're slowly getting introduced to all the people Charise mentioned in the first chapter! At first, when she said all that stuff about how everyone was doing, I was very confused and overwhelmed, but now I know who most of those people are!
Eheheheh, another long freakin' post. I can't wait for the next update!

Theorist
Original Poster
#62 Old 29th Jul 2007 at 4:48 AM
It's good that you pity Cassandra. She's not a bad person; she just doesn't want to lose the one person in her life who actually shows any kindness to her.

I have a sequel planned already, and I assure you, no one will be stabbing anyone. However, Cassandra will play a major role in the story (in fact, her part of the story will involve her finding out who her real parents were).
Instructor
#63 Old 29th Jul 2007 at 2:06 PM
I too am I Beevis and Butthead fan. LOL!
I've never heard of 'Metalocalypse'. I'll have to look that one up.
Anyway, awesome update!!!
Theorist
Original Poster
#64 Old 29th Jul 2007 at 2:09 PM
Well, Montridge, it's an Adult Swim cartoon about a death metal band. You can watch clips from the whole series on the Adult Swim site, under "videos." One of my favorite clips, called "Food Library," is about them grocery shopping (apparently for the first time ever). Lots of dark humor! Oh, and they get lots of musicians to do voices for the show (for instance, in one episode, King Diamond voiced the devil).
Theorist
Original Poster
#65 Old 29th Jul 2007 at 5:19 PM
Default Chapter 3, Part 6
5:30 PM

Charise looked around the untidy room. Toys were scattered everywhere. Michaela’s family would be home in about an hour, and she needed to get things picked up.

“Michaela,” Charise said, “Let’s pick up your toys so the house will be nice and clean when your mom and dad get home.”

“Nuh-uh,” Michaela disagreed, jumping on the sofa. “That’s your job!”

“It’s your job to be a good child and not make a mess. Now help me clean up!” Charise responded, trying not to scream. She was ready to tear her hair out.

Michaela thought for a second. “I’ll help out.”

“Good.”

“If you tell me a story.”

Charise groaned to herself. “Fine, if it’ll get you to help. What story?”

Michaela stopped jumping and sat, quietly thinking. After a few moments, she said, “Tell me a story I’ve never heard before.”

Charise tried to think as quickly as possible. Her eyes scanned the bookshelves around the room. This child had undoubtedly heard every story there was to tell, as there were books full of stories from all over the world.

“I’m waiting!” Michaela sang out. “If you can’t think of a story, you better start cleaning up fast!”

Then, an idea hit Charise. “Fine. I know a story. It’s a fairly recent one, and it’s about a kingdom.”

“Might be good,” Michaela replied. “Tell it.”

Charise took a deep breath. Would her idea work? She began speaking slowly and calmly, “Once was a magical place. Over time it was lost; price increased the cost. Now the fortune of the kingdom is locked up in its dungeon vaults. The castle floor lies in traps with coiled wire set back, decoyed by old cheese. Now the drawbridge has been lifted, as the millions, they drop to their knees…”

When Charise finally finished several minutes later, she looked over at Michaela. The child was sound asleep.

“Oh well,” she said softly. “At least I can clean up without her being in my way.”

-----------------

6:30 PM

Ophelia and Cy walked Emily back to her house. The trio laughed and joked the whole way.

“We should do this again sometime,” Emily said.

“Definitely,” Cy agreed.

“Fine with me. If next weekend looks okay for both of you, I might be able to plan something for us to do,” Ophelia replied.

Emily hugged Ophelia and Cy. “Take care!” she called out as she unlocked the door, opened it, and walked in.

Cy gave Ophelia a knowing smile. “You’re good at picking your friends, you know that?”

“Of course. After all, you’re my best friend,” Ophelia responded with a grin, giving Cy a brief hug.

“Now, what do you say we go hit that ice cream place you mentioned on the phone?” Cy asked.
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 5:30 AM
Ha! Charise reigns triumphant! Also, argh, Cy is so adorable. This was a nice break after the heavy stuff last chapter.

Theorist
Original Poster
#67 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 5:34 AM
Yeah, I try to break up the sections so that there's not too much seriousness or drama clustered together. The last part of this chapter will be up tonight.

The fourth chapter, which will be up in a few days, is, I think, one of the funniest chapters so far.

By the way, the "story" Charise tells is the song "Tragic Kingdom" by No Doubt.
#68 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 6:12 AM
Aww that was sweet! Great update!!
Theorist
Original Poster
#69 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 6:33 AM
Default Chapter 3, Part 7

Charise groaned and flopped onto the floor. She had put all the toys away.
The door opened, and Gwen and Chris Williams walked in.

“Charise, you look exhausted!” Gwen cried out. She looked at her husband. “Honey, I knew we should have left Michaela with your mom.”

Charise stood up slowly. “I’m fine. She was… rather spirited.”

Chris lifted up the sleeping child and carried her into her bedroom.

“No need to sugarcoat it, sweetie,” Gwen replied. “Michaela acts like a total brat for most people, and I’m all but kicking myself for making you have to deal with that.” She reached into her pocket and counted out some money. “I know you’re only charging twenty dollars, but here’s forty, to make up for all your troubles. If you want, I’ll drop you off at your house.”

“No thank you, Mrs. Williams. I can walk. It’s not that bad of a walk,” Charise replied. “Have a good evening.”

She walked out of the house.

-----------

6:50 PM

Charise unlocked the door and walked in. “I’m home,” she called out.

“Welcome home, Charise,” S said with a smile.

“Where’s Gideon and Sheridon?”

“They’re out for the evening. I made dinner for you, and I picked up some more of that bubble bath and those bath salts that you like so much. I figured that after a long day, you don’t feel like spending anymore time on your feet,” S replied.

Charise smiled and gave S a warm hug. “You know what, S?” she said. “I don’t care if you’re not the most important person in the universe. It makes me happy to see you right now.”

She walked into the next room to eat. S watched her and whispered softly, “Then I am the most important person in the universe.”

He decided that he would not reveal his feelings just yet, but soon… one day, he would.
Test Subject
#70 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 7:33 AM
oh he better do it soon before it's too late!!
great updates! :D

Theorist
Original Poster
#71 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 7:45 AM
I'm afraid he won't be doing it anytime soon (S is a procrastinator), but he will eventually do it... but it takes pretty extreme circumstances.

The fourth chapter (coming soon!), is, for the most part, pretty light and, I think, rather funny. A friend of mine previewed the chapter, and he said that it was really good, the ending was unexpected, and that the interactions between one couple were very sweet. The working title for the fourth chapter was "...And a Bag of Potato Chips."

I am writing chapter five as we speak (type?), and it will be very... different. A few characters from previous chapters will be appearing again.
#72 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 7:48 AM
Yeah he needs to tell her how he feels before someone else snatches her up. Another great update!
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 7:51 AM
C'mon, S, I'm rooting for you!
In other news, dang you update quickly.

Theorist
Original Poster
#74 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 8:03 AM
By the way, the scary thing is... Dunstan is based on two people who I used to know. In fact, I changed his appearance to make him look more like one of the guys he's based on (originally, he looked like S, except with lots of poufy, curly hair). So, yes, there actually are real Dunstans running around (especially in the New Orleans area...).

And by the way, I update quickly because when I'm updating with one chapter, I'm busy writing another one. I had the first three chapters written when I started putting this story up on S2C. The first chapter took me several months to write, the second took about a month, the third took two days, and the fourth took about a week. I am currently writing the fifth chapter (two pages written-- each chapter averages about 12 pages and around 4000 words).

Here is what goes into a single update:
I load up the chapter file with the written story, and, using it as a guide, take the shots in the game for the part I'm supposed to update with. This usually takes between one and three hours, depending on the complexity of the shots and how many sets have to be built and set up. After that, I go through the pictures and edit them-- this takes between one and fifteen minutes, depending on what has to be done (usually, all that's needed is minor cropping). Then, I upload the images to photobucket (usually doesn't take very long, if I have a good connection). After that, I copy the part of the story into a reply on here, go through it to make changes and corrections, as needed. After that, I add the pictures, preview, make more changes if necessary, and then submit the update. And then I sit back and relax and admire the fruits of my labor.
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 30th Jul 2007 at 9:04 AM
I like this story!! I've been sitting here the past hour, reading the chapters so far (whilst sweating in my apt, thanks to the maintenance man's lack of assistance in fixing the air conditioner). Definitely kept my mind off the heat, and I loved the various old-school references, such as B&B, and "Heathers". Great job! :D
Page 3 of 39