Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#51 Old 6th Feb 2008 at 10:30 AM
Default Chapter Fourteen

Jake pulled her close and rubbed her arms to try and warm her benumbed skin.
"Why don't you get into some dry clothes, your frozen." he said. He peeled off his wet outfit and pulled on the warmest clothes he could find, wrapping himself in a blanket. "Here." he said as she walked back into the room, and he held the blanket open her to join him.

He pulled her close, letting the warmth of their bodies do their work. He closed his eyes and for a moment he almost believed it was Beth here beside him, then a whiff of aloe vera brought him sharply back to the present. "Oh, Beth..." he sighed. He thought back to the night Alex arrived in Black Ridge, as she stepped off the bus he thought she was an apparition, had slunk into the shadows, watching, unsure... Now... now, he felt an urge to protect her, guilt maybe... Tonight he'd seen the predatory look in Riley's eyes, had quickly crossed the floor, fists clenched. "I couldn't save you, Beth, but I promise I'll keep Alex safe." he vowed. Looking down at Alex's peaceful face, he gently laid her down, and pulling her close, fell asleep.

Next moring he woke alone, he saw Alex crouched down by her clothes reading a piece of paper, "What's that?" he asked.
"Oh, nothing." she replied, crumpling it up.

Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#52 Old 6th Feb 2008 at 10:32 AM
Default Chapter Fifteen
Alex felt herself enveloped in Jake's cold embrace. He rubbed her arms trying to get her warm but he was freezing himself. "Why don't you get into some dry clothes, your frozen." he said. When she came back down he was sitting on the couch, wrapped in a thick blanket. He held it open and she snuggled up to him in a coccoon of cosiness.

She sighed in contentment, and thought back to all the men she'd met in the past three years, they had all wanted something from her... even Riley wanted something... but not Jake. He seemed happy just to be around her, he was a friend she realised, a smile passing over her lips, maybe even a best friend, but certainly her first... As the warmth enveloped her body she felt herself getting drowsy and felt herself falling asleep in Jake's safe arms.

Next morning she awoke stiff and sore, her left arm totally numb. It took her a moment to realise where she was, and another to realise that for the first time since coming to Black Ridge, she hadn't had a dream. She glance over to her bed, well... Jake's bed, and the damp clothes she'd discarded on the floor. "The DJ!" she remembered, stumbling painfully off the couch. The found the crumbled business card in her jeans. Smoothing it out she discovered her wet clothes had smudged the ink, the only word she could decipher was his name at the bottom, Lorcan. "Oh well," she thought as she scrunched it up, "It was probably just his telephone number."

#53 Old 6th Feb 2008 at 5:02 PM
I've just taken to reading stories and I'm really deep into yours... great storyline and I liked the way the story was presented. Good balance of text and pictures and I think it's well done :thumb:

Looking forward to the rest...
Scholar
Original Poster
#54 Old 6th Feb 2008 at 5:12 PM
Scholar
Original Poster
#55 Old 6th Feb 2008 at 5:29 PM
Default Chapter Sixteen
Alex sat on the edge of the bed, alone, pondering the future. She'd been here for a week and Jake couldn't sleep on the couch forever. She counted out her meagre savings, enough to buy a ticket, get her a hundred miles from here, but not much else... It was November, the nights icy cold, the days bitter. She wanted to stay and explore her ties with this place, with Jake, but as she looked around the cold, empty room, she couldn't imagine spending the winter here. She heard a door slam outside and she froze, her hand unconsciously reaching into her pocket. There was a cacophony of crashes and clashes, then another door slammed and the vehicle pulled away.

A few minutes later Jake walked in with the slightest hint of a smile on his lips.
"What the hell was that racket?" asked Alex angrily. "I nearly had heart failure!"
"Oh, nothing. I was helping a mate out, clearing out some old houses. I said he could dump some of stuff here."
"Yeah, well, it's not as if will bring down the tone of the neighbourhood I suppose..."
"What's up with you today?"
"My so-called life! I'm living in a freezing cold warehouse in the middle of November with no hot water, no electricity and no money! Could it get any worse!"
She glared across at Jake and saw the look of hurt in his eyes.
"Oh my god, Jake... I didn't mean it like that. I'm just cold and tired and all the noise outside frightened me... I didn't mean... I'm not ungrateful..."
He glowered back at her and stalked out.

Scholar
#56 Old 6th Feb 2008 at 5:52 PM
Just got caught up, great updates Romy!
Scholar
Original Poster
#57 Old 6th Feb 2008 at 5:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cinamun
Just got caught up, great updates Romy!

Thanks Cinamun! They're not being very co-operative at the moment, Riley decided to become invisible, mind you that would probably make Vaalyah very happy
Field Researcher
#58 Old 6th Feb 2008 at 8:16 PM
Your story is very impressive. You got some great picture taking skills. They are in high quality and look very real.
Characters look different from each other and they have some real personality which is always a good thing.
Your story is also very easy to read. There isn't too much text and there's enough pictures to support it. I think you have found the ideal balance between them.
Storyline is also good. A bit confusing first but that's good because it keeps me reading :D
Keep up the good work.
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 6th Feb 2008 at 8:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Thrior
Your story is very impressive. You got some great picture taking skills. They are in high quality and look very real.
Characters look different from each other and they have some real personality which is always a good thing.
Your story is also very easy to read. There isn't too much text and there's enough pictures to support it. I think you have found the ideal balance between them.
Storyline is also good. A bit confusing first but that's good because it keeps me reading :D
Keep up the good work.

these are all great points! thats why I love it as well Romy:D
Scholar
Original Poster
#60 Old 6th Feb 2008 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Thrior
Keep up the good work.

Wow! Thanks Thrior :D
#61 Old 6th Feb 2008 at 10:20 PM
Very much enjoying the story! Did something happen to chapter 15?
Scholar
Original Poster
#62 Old 6th Feb 2008 at 10:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Annette
Very much enjoying the story! Did something happen to chapter 15?

Ah! No, I just forgot to write in the title bar :dunce:, it's fixed now
Scholar
Original Poster
#63 Old 6th Feb 2008 at 10:49 PM
Default Chapter Seventeen
Alex lay in bed waiting for Jake to return. Finally, she heard the door quietly open well after midnight.
"Jake?" she whispered. "Jake?"
"Geez, he must be really mad with me." she thought as he lay unanswering. She pulled the covers closer round herself and tried to get some sleep.

Next morning he had gone before she woke. She endured a freezing shower and trudged slowly to work. She should have known it would be one of those days... customers who couldn't decide which flavour coffee they wanted, customers who kept changing their minds, and Gary looking over her shoulder all day.

At lunchtime Riley popped in, at least that brought a smile to her face.
"How do you fancy going out one night this week?" he asked.
"That would be great!" she enthused, keeping one eye on Gary.
"Give me your number and we can arrange something later."
"My number?" Alex asked momentarily confused.
"Yeah, your phone number."
"Oh!" she laughed, "My phone got stolen... I'll just see you around. I'm working at the salon tomorrow."
"Okay, sure thing." he said with a wave.

She could see Gary looming in on her.
"Miss Smith! I'm sure we've had this conversation before, but there are rules about fraternising with the customers!"
"Keep your hair on Gary! That's my boss, my other boss... he was just checking when I due in."
Gary frowned at her, obviously not believing her, then stalked through to the back room.

She knew it definitely was one of those days when Ciara walked in.
"Hi Alex! I didn't know you worked here!" she simpered sweetly.
"No, I bet you didn't." replied Alex just as sweetly.
"So, how is your friend Jake?"
"Would you like to order?" Alex asked.
"In a minute, how's Jake?"
"I'm sorry," Alex said smiling, "I've just had a lecture from my boss about not fraternising with the customers, you don't want to get me into any more trouble do you? Can I take your order?"
Ciara gritted her teeth, "Oh, I forgot, I left my straighteners switched on. Silly me!" and she marched out of the cafe.

Alex walked briskly home, desperately wanting to apologise to Jake. Maybe she would take him out for dinner, there was a cheap Italian at the far end of Main Street...
She pushed open the door and stood there in horror, where had all the furniture gone? Was Jake throwing her out?
"Jake....?" she called hesitantly.
"Hey!" he said turning round.
"What's going on? I am really, really sorry about my outburst last night. You know, I saw a kid having a tantrum in the Mall today, and I realised that was how I behaved last night. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. You've been so good to me..."

"Are you finished?" he asked.
She nodded her head, ashamed.
Jake took hold of her hands. "Don't be sorry about last night. You gave me the kick up the butt I needed." Alex looked at him baffled. "I went round to see my mate Mike last night, the one I'd been helping out... he's given me a job, as a labourer!"
"Wow, Jake! That's great!" she paused as she looked round the empty room again. "Are you leaving..."
"No, that's the other good news. Mike said we can stay in one of those houses we cleared yesterday, just till they're ready to start work on them. They don't have electric, but they do have wood-burning stoves."
"Yipee!" laughed Alex with glee.
"And," he added, "The stoves heat the water."
"Double yipee!"
"And, there is a cooker, we picked up a new gas cylinder for it this afternoon."
"Triple yipee!"
"Come on, I'll take you over there now."

Even in the dark Alex could see the crumbling exteriors of the houses, but she didn't care, all she could think about was hot water and hot food.

Jake lit the fire and they stood in it's rosy glow warming themselves. Heavenly!
"Come upstairs." said Jake, leading the way. "The flue from the log burner goes through the bedroom and keeps it warm, Mike gave us an old sofabed, I thought you could have this room. What do you think?" he asked.

She stepped into the room and a wave of nausea hit her, this was the room, the room from her dream. She grabbed hold of Jake's arm to steady herself.
"Are you okay?" he asked, concerned.
"This room... I just... Have you been here before?"
He looked at her puzzled, "No, not before today, is everything okay? You look a bit pale."
"I'm okay, I just had a weird feeling of deja vu."
Jake studied her for a moment, his intuition telling him there was more to it.
"Let's go downstairs." said Alex, "It's warmer down there."

"Thanks Jake, for doing this. I've never lived in a proper house before."
"So what have you been doing these past three years then?" he asked, curious.
"Oh, you know... hostels, homeless shelters, a few parks and beaches..."
He pulled her close and gave her a hug, "As you as you're with me you'll have a home." he promised.
"Thank you Jake." She pulled away and looked up at him, "I was plannning taking you out to dinner tonight, as an apology, but now I think I should take you out to celebrate!"
Jake looked down at the floor, "That would be great, but this job... we're working over at Barrington, I'll only be here at weekends."
A knock on the door interrupted them.
"That will be Mike now." he said.
"What? You're going now?" Alex exclaimed sadly.
"Yes, I'm sorry, we need to go now, it's an early start in the morning." he replied walking to the door.
"Hi Jake, ready to go?" asked Mike.
"Yeah, just give me a minute."
Mike glanced over at Alex, "Sure, I'll wait in the truck."
Alex pulled him into a tight hug, an feeling of emptiness weighing heavy in her stomach. "Take care." she whispered.
"You too." said Jake, not wanting to let go. "Look Alex... Riley and Ciara, they're trouble. Just... just be careful, okay?"
"Okay."
"Promise me!" he said resolutely.
She frowned at his insistance. "Okay, I promise!"
"See you Friday!" he called over his shoulder.

Lab Assistant
#64 Old 7th Feb 2008 at 12:45 AM
Ciara looked like trouble *coughb*tchcough* but Riley looked ok..but i still don't trust him. Update soon...i want to know what happens next!

my stories:
Something Lost
#65 Old 7th Feb 2008 at 1:49 AM
Yey! it's nearly updated to the point I was at... for some reason it won't let me view it on your blog page anymore.

I can't wait for chapters 19+ :-D
#66 Old 7th Feb 2008 at 2:09 AM
Awesome story Romy -nudge-. I wonder...if there's a new update :D.
Scholar
Original Poster
#67 Old 7th Feb 2008 at 9:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by I.nfectious
Yey! it's nearly updated to the point I was at... for some reason it won't let me view it on your blog page anymore.

Sorry I.nfectious, I locked the earlier chapters until I got them transferred over here, should get Chapters 18 and 19 up soon (once I get on my own computer)
Chrsty I'll be updating LJ later today.
Scholar
Original Poster
#68 Old 7th Feb 2008 at 10:31 AM
Default Chapter Eighteen
The room which had felt homely and cosy a moment ago suddenly felt cold and empty. Alex glanced around at their sparse belongings, Jake's bed in the far corner, and next to it his guitar. Her eyes landed on the photograph of Jake and Beth and she felt a shiver of disquiet up her spine. She quickly crossed the room and turned the frame to the wall.

She made a quick tour of the rest of the house, carefully making sure all the doors and windows were locked. In the kitchen she discovered Jake had thoughtfully supplied her with some basic groceries, she smiled as she poured some water into a pan and made herself some coffee, he was always so considerate.

After rinsing her mug, she hesitated before heading over the easel by the stairs. She had seen it hidden away in a dusty corner of the warehouse but hadn't got round to asking Jake about it, it wasn't as if she could paint. There were some old, half-used paints in the tray, but no paper. She rummaged around and finally, triumphantly pulled two blank canvases out of a bag under Jake's bed. She was unsure about painting on these canvases, obviously made for someone who could actually paint! But a quick survey of the room informed her that her only other options were sleep or reading Jake's kiddie books.

She stood in front of the blank canvas for a long time, not sure where to start. Eventually she picked up the paintbrush and just started to paint. The brush seemed to flow smoothly across the canvas of it's own accord, and she watched mesmerised as a picture started to form. She paused for a moment and stared at the face materialising before her, it was the face from her dreams...

She continued to paint instinctively, unaware of her aching muscles, until the painting was complete. She found an old nail to hang it on and stood back, stretching her throbbing shoulders. "You know," she thought, gazing at the painting, "I think I might have done this before... and Jake... he's got a pierced nipple?"

Scholar
Original Poster
#69 Old 7th Feb 2008 at 10:39 AM
Default Chapter Nineteen
Alex slept late, exhausted from her night's painting. She wasn't due into the salon till after lunch so she planned a leisurely morning, lighting the fire to heat the water for her first bath in... what was it? Two years? She lay there till the bathwater turned cold, reluctant to leave her little oasis. Eventually, though she had to drag herself out and dashed through to the bedroom to find some clothes. In the cold light of day the bedroom felt... ordinary... but still, she thought, she was uneager to spend the night there.

Outside it was a crisp, sunny day. Alex wandered into town, enjoying the sights and sounds of autumn as she strolled through the park. She sat on a bench and shared her lunch with some inquisitive squirrels then headed over to the mall. The salon was pretty quiet that afternoon, and thankfully there was no visit from the odious Ciara.
"Would you like to go out for dinner tonight?" asked Riley during a quiet spell.
Alex blushed, "That would be great!"
"Shall I pick you up?"
"Oh! No, I'll just meet you there."
"Are you sure? It's no bother."
"No, it's okay." replied Alex, with an innate reluctance to reveal her address.
"Geez," she thought, "Jake making me paranoid!"

"Wow!" thought Alex as they walked into Patraic's, "I hope Riley's paying as there's no way I can afford to go dutch!"

A waiter showed them to a quiet corner table and left them to study the menu, returning moments later with a bottle of champagne. "To a wonderful evening!" toasted Riley.
"A wonderful evening!" agreed Alex.
The meal was delicious, Alex couldn't remember tasting food this good in... well ever! And she was relieved when Riley insisted on paying, rejecting her offer to split the bill.

"Why don't we go next door." suggested Riley, "It's still early."
Business in Ted's Bar was slow, it being a Tuesday night, and they had the end of the bar to themselves. Riley, as always, was lively and garrulous, regaling her with tales of haircuts gone wrong. But the previous night was beginning to catch up with her and she could feel her attention drifting. She felt Riley's hand on her arm.

"Hmm, pardon?" she asked.
"I was just asking if you wanted to come back to my place, it's not far. We can have a coffee and I'll call you a cab."
"Thanks Riley, but I don't think I'd be very good company. I'm really tired and I think I'd rather just go home."
"Late night last night?" he asked jokingly, but she could tell he was disappointed.
"Yeah, something like that."
"Well, at least let me walk you home."
"No, it's okay! Let's see if I can hail a cab outside."
They walked out into the dark, frosty night and Alex scanned the street for a taxi.

"Looks like your out of luck." said Riley, "Come on, I'll walk with you."
Alex was about to protest when to her great relief a yellow taxi pulled round the corner, it's "For Hire" light on. She quickly waved it down, "Sorry Riley, take care." she said giving him a brief hug. "See you at work."

"Take the next left and pull over." Alex told the driver. She pushed the exact fare through the grill, got out, and hurried home.

"Hi!" said Ciara with a sneer in her voice, "You're home early, things not go as planned?"
Riley ignored her and turned on the TV.

Test Subject
#70 Old 7th Feb 2008 at 4:55 PM
I'm new to your story as well, and it's really good. Very mysterious, keeps me entertained and wanting more.
Scholar
Original Poster
#71 Old 7th Feb 2008 at 5:04 PM
Thanks CaptApollo75, nice to see new readers :D
Scholar
#72 Old 7th Feb 2008 at 5:43 PM
OH my God.. what is up with Ciara and Riley?? I smell evil-ness.... Hmmm
Also, Romy I'm not sure if I mentioned this before but I really enjoy how the some of the chapters switch POVs, same scene, different POVs if that makes sense. Makes for great reading.
Scholar
Original Poster
#73 Old 7th Feb 2008 at 11:06 PM
Default Chapter Twenty

Alex kept herself busy, working and cleaning the house, counting down the days till Jake's return. Riley hadn't been ignoring her, but he hadn't asked her out either. She wondered if she'd maybe been a bit abrupt with him on Tuesday night, but she'd never been on a date before, well not in the last three years anyway. She knew what he wanted from her, the same thing all the men she'd met wanted, but psychologically she was still a virgin, never even had her first kiss.

"Hey Alex, do you want to go to Mercy tonight?" asked Riley interrupting her thoughts.
"Oh! I'm not sure... Jake's coming back tonight."
"I didn't realise he was away!"
"Damn!" thought Alex, "Me and my big mouth." It wasn't so much that she didn't want Riley to know, just his sneaky little sister. She wanted to be there when Jake got back, but she really wanted to go out with Riley too... "What about tomorrow?" asked Alex.
"No can do. I'm meeting up with some old school friends in Barrington, sorry."
"Oh... okay then. Tell you what, I'll come out for a couple of hours, but I can't stay late."
"Great" grinned Riley.

She hurried home with a skip in her step, Jake would be home later and she had a date with Riley! Something caught her eye in one of the shops, comics! She was certain Jake would prefer that to kids books.

At home she heated some water on the stove and washed her hair, carefully dressing before leaving a note for Jake, "Back soon, Alex." She hoped he would be able to read it and left it sitting on top of his new comic.

After stopping at Carmine's for a cheap supper, Alex walked across to Mercy. Even though it was still early is was already busy. She scanned the crowded room for Riley's distinctive mop of hair, maybe she was too early. She spotted Ciara at the bar deep in conversation, and headed over. Ciara looked up as she approached. "Well, look who it is!" smiled Ciara. Her companion turned around.
"Riley!" she cried in surprise. "Wow! You look hot!" she blurted out before she could stop herself. She felt her face redden, but Riley just laughed and taking her hand led her onto the dancefloor.

"Let me get you a drink!" shouted Riley over the music.
While he was at the bar Alex noticed the DJ gesturing towards her. "What the... I hope he's not going to try and give me his number again." she thought as she wove her way across the floor.
"Why didn't you call me?" he asked.
"Look... Lorcan," she said hoping she'd gotten his name right, "You're not my type okay."
"What the hell! Didn't you even read my message?"
Alex frowned at him, confused.
"I see you didn't!" he relied exasperated, "I'm not trying to ask you out, I'm trying to warn you off your drinking companions." he said nodding towards the bar.
"Look mister, I don't know who you think you are, but my business is my business, period!" she started to turn away but he pulled her back.
"Just ask your friend Jake!"

Scholar
Original Poster
#74 Old 7th Feb 2008 at 11:10 PM
Default Chapter Twenty One

Alex walked slowly back to the bar. Two people had now warned her about Riley and Ciara, she was confused. Sure, Ciara was a trouble-maker, but Riley?
"Riley said to give you this!" snarled Ciara, thrusting a glass into her hand, no longer needing to be polite with Riley out of earshot. Alex took a quick drink and spotting Riley by the bar, headed over.

"I have to go soon." she told him, finishing her drink. She suddenly felt woozy and shook her head, trying to clear the cottonwool.
"Are you feeling okay?" asked Riley.
"Yes... I think I just drank that last one too quickly. I think I just need some fresh air."

"Let me!" said Ciara materialising at her side. "We'll be back in a minute." she called to Riley, leading her towards the exit.

Suddenly Ciara stumbled away from her and someone was grabbing her roughly by the arm, then blackness...

Scholar
Original Poster
#75 Old 7th Feb 2008 at 11:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cinamun
OH my God.. what is up with Ciara and Riley?? I smell evil-ness.... Hmmm
Also, Romy I'm not sure if I mentioned this before but I really enjoy how the some of the chapters switch POVs, same scene, different POVs if that makes sense. Makes for great reading.

Thanks Cinamun, I'm almost caught up with the story now, hopefully it will be up to date this weekend.
Page 3 of 36