Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jul 2007 at 10:38 AM
Homegrown - Completed 26th May
This was inspired by something HP brought up over here, so I thought I'd have a little go at a story based loosely on that idea. Please feel free to leave any tips on photo-taking or story telling (as long as they don't revolve around "Ths iz crp"!)

Homegrown - Chapter 1 - Seeds

Hi, I’m Beth Mossberg, and… well, this is a picture of me just after I moved in to a small house in a quiet country neighbourhood called Riverblossom Hills.

It was small, but it suited me fine. I settled down here because it seems like the perfect place for me to live a peaceful life, and live solely off the produce I can grow and catch in my own back yard. I got food poisoning A LOT at university from all the over-processed rubbish they served, and when my auntie got bowel cancer last year, well... I decided to take a positive step towards taking better care of myself.

Well, I thought, I may as well make a start and fertilize my little garden. I had a small plot for growing plants, and an orange tree. There were already some tomatoes planted, but I thought I may as well use the rest of the space. What I don’t eat I can sell, and as it looks like taking care of this place will be my full time job, any extra money would come in handy!

Once the tomatoes were planted, I headed towards the small pond in the back of my garden, thinking I’d try my hand at fishing. I'd never done it before, but I had to eat, and it can’t be that hard, right?

OW! Those little scaly buggers are strong! Thank goodness, I think I heard the doorbell. I left the fishing for later…

Cr*p, who’s this? She looked so smart, and I was… well, covered in soil and slightly bruised in a fishing accident.

“Hi, I’m Claudia, I live across the street. I noticed you moving in so I thought I’d come over and say hi. Is this a bad time?”

“Not at all,” I said, pulling weeds out of my hair, “Where did you say you lived?”

“That house, over there.” replied Claudia coolly, pointing out the biggest, most intimidating house on the street.

“Wow!” I breathed. “You must be loaded! Oh my God, I’m so sorry, that was so rude-”

“Don’t worry,” laughed Claudia, “It is a bit excessive. It’s my parent’s house, I’m just living there with my son until we find a place of our own.”

“Wow, you’re lucky your parents don’t mind having you around.”

“I think they like it more than I do, to be honest,” she said. “I mean, I could move out already if I really scraped some money together, but I think Mum likes having me and Jamie around. You‘re lucky to have your own space here.”

“What little space there is!” I joked.

“But you can really relax here,” she said, “Just have some time to yourself, garden, fish… I wish I had that.”

“Well you’re welcome to come over anytime” I said. “I was just fishing when you came over, do you want to join me?”

“I’d love to! Are you sure you don’t mind?”

“Of course not!” I said, handed her a rod, and led her over to the pond.

I managed to catch a fish!

Claudia and I stood and fished in the sunshine for a while and chatted about our lives. She told me about her son, Jamie, who was nearly two. His daddy had died in a car accident just before Jamie was born, and Claudia was left with no option but to move back in with her parents until she could financially support herself. Her parents were very wealthy, but Claudia was very vague about what either of them did for a living.

She visibly relaxed as the afternoon drew later, and even caught a fish or two. I enjoyed her company, so I offered to cook her fish for us.

It’s so nice to be cooking fresh food after all the junk I ate at university!

Oops! Oh well, the recipe did say blackened catfish…

Bless her, if Claudia could tell the fish was burned, she wasn’t letting it show.

“You know, Beth, I think it’s amazing you’re starting out alone here. I’d be so lonely if I were you. Not to mention tending this garden alone!”

“It is a lot of work, but I’ll manage!” I smiled, but to tell the truth I was feeling quite tired after today. I supposed I’d get used to it.

After dinner, Claudia left to go take care of Jamie, and I got a strange phonecall.

“Hello, is that Miss Mossberg?”

“Speaking, who is this?” I didn’t remember giving my number to anyone except Claudia.

“My name is Aurora Goss, I run the local singles network. I heard you’d just moved in on your own, and thought you might like to join us for a night out?”

“Um… I’m actually a little tired..”

“Come on! There’s no time like the present to get out there and meet someone special!” she cried.

“Ok, ok, give me ten minutes to freshen up and I’ll meet you. Where are you going and how do I get there?” I sighed.

“Don’t worry about that, we’ll send a taxi to pick you up!” she chirped.

Ten minutes later and, sure enough, there was a taxi waiting outside my house, honking loud enough to wake the neighbours. I climbed in, looking back at my little house and wondering just what sort of neighbourhood I’d moved in to.

Ok guys, that's the first chapter done. Let me know what you think!
1 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
#2 Old 21st Jul 2007 at 10:46 AM
Ohh I like this story already, Beth seems like a nice charactor.

What sort of challenge is it?
#3 Old 21st Jul 2007 at 11:24 AM
This looks promising Beth is cool
I like it!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Jul 2007 at 11:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jasmin
Ohh I like this story already, Beth seems like a nice charactor.

What sort of challenge is it?

Thanks guys! The challenge is to be completely self sufficent - grow all you own food, fish, etc, have no job and make any money from selling vegetables and fish... It's gonna be a toughie.
#5 Old 21st Jul 2007 at 11:46 AM
Oh sounds like fun ^-^ Goodluck with it.
#6 Old 21st Jul 2007 at 12:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aryxa
Thanks guys! The challenge is to be completely self sufficent - grow all you own food, fish, etc, have no job and make any money from selling vegetables and fish... It's gonna be a toughie.

Eep! I might do a variation of that with one of my sims. Perhaps how one write novels for a living or something...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Jul 2007 at 1:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dragon Guardian
Eep! I might do a variation of that with one of my sims. Perhaps how one write novels for a living or something...

That sounds really cool. Kinda like the Starving Artists challenge?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Jul 2007 at 1:30 PM
Default Chapter 2 - Singles and Salad

“Welcome to Bernard’s Botanical Gardens!” cried the Maitre D’ enthusiastically, flailing his arms around. “Not only do we serve the best food in town, all our products are ethically sourced and some are even grown on the premises!”

Wow, I thought. This place actually sounds like somewhere I could eat! I didn’t usually eat at fancy restaurants, what with the garbage they pumped into their food, but Bernard’s Botanical seemed perfect for me.

“I’ll have the chef salad, please.” I thought it would be nice to sample some of the restaurant’s home grown vegetables, but apparently my dining companions from the singles club didn’t agree with me.

“Ooh, I’ll have a bowl of your delicious mac’n’cheese, Bernard!” cried Aurora. Her perkiness was beginning to annoy me. How could you come to a place like this and order such gunk?!

We chatted for a while about my farm as we ate. I must say, some of them had the most revolting eating habits, just shoveling food into their mouths. No wonder they’re all single!

By the end of the main course I was exhausted.

“I’ve had a lovely time,” I lied, “but I’m afraid I’m going to have to go home. I’m very tired.”

“Well, it was lovely to meet you, Beth!” Aurora beamed. “You’ll have to come with us on our next outing to the bowling alley!”

“That would be… lovely, Aurora. Um, give me a call and hopefully I’ll be free…” There’s no way I’m going out with these people again…

“Hi, could I get a taxi from Bernard’s Botanical Dining to 172 Birch Street please?”

“On it’s way!”
Wow, that was good service. Man, I was tired. My shoulders ached from digging all day, and my eyes were itching to go to sleep. I’ll have a nice hot shower when I get home, I thought, and curl up into bed.

What the?! The taxi arrived, and everyone from dinner was just piling into it! I didn’t mind sharing a taxi home, but they could have asked…

When the taxi arrived at my place, everyone just started getting out again. This was really beginning to bug me.

“It was really nice to meet you… all,” I said, quickly covering the fact that I couldn't remember everyone’s names, “but I have to be up early in the morning, so if you don’t mind I’m going to call it a night.”

They finally got the hint and left, so I dragged my aching body into the shower and finally hauled myself into bed.

What a weird first day. It was nice to meet people, especially Claudia, but that singles club was weird. I think I’ll head downtown on my own tomorrow, see if I can’t meet some normal people!

Just a quick update so I can get everything ready for the next few chapters. I have some pictures ready so it just needs to be written!
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 21st Jul 2007 at 1:48 PM
ooo, this is good! Update soon! lol
Test Subject
#10 Old 21st Jul 2007 at 1:50 PM
Wow this is a good story so far! ^^

-Inucrazy101
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 21st Jul 2007 at 2:37 PM
This story starts off a lot like mine,( except mine is not a challenge as such) so i look forward to your next chappie...someone else had a mind to do a story with the same idea after reading about HP's challenge...i think it's a fantastic idea
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Jul 2007 at 2:44 PM
Thanks Starwyn! Do you mean Sims Way of Life? Yeah, it does, there were a few times when I was writing when I was thinking it sounded similar to that! Just noticing things that other sims do around my characters sometimes makes me go WTF?
SWOL was a really good story, so I'm kinda glad it reminds you of that, although I wouldn't want to just have a mirror story here. She's got some stuff being thrown at her soon, I'm just trying to get the 'settling in' part out of the way...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Jul 2007 at 4:56 PM
Default Chapter 3 - Fights and Friends
Just one more update today, I swear!

The next morning, I did a spot of gardening before heading to the local boutique. My clothes were getting seriously grubby, and I didn’t want the locals (especially any cute male ones) thinking I was the local madwoman.

I brushed the soil off my clothes and quickly applied some simple makeup, just as the taxi pulled up and honked loudly, then again when I didn‘t come running out of the house. Those guys may be quick, but they’re seriously rude! They seem to be the only taxi company around, though…

Things didn’t get much better once I got to the local clothing store, Belle’s Boutique and Tailoring. This guy just glared at me as I walked past! I was beginning to think Claudia was the only normal person around here.

“Who the hell is that?!” He muttered. “She looks like she’s just crawled out of a pig pen!”

How rude! I thought about retaliating with a comment about keeping his ridiculously beaky nose out of other people’s business, but I didn’t want to make any enemies, so I ignored him.

Hmm, maybe all is not lost! I got talking to a nice guy called Erik, who was talking to me about his small robotics venture. He seemed really sweet, but suddenly something caught his eye behind me and he ran off!

I couldn’t believe my eyes! That crazy looking guy was attacking some poor woman (who for some reason was dressed in what looked like leaves…). What was worse was everyone in the store had dropped what they were doing and were cheering and booing like they were at a football game!

I was appalled and ran and hid in a side room until the fight was over. I didn’t want to get dragged into anything.

Thankfully, the crazy guy left after the woman kicked his ass (I don’t condone violence, but any guy who attacks a woman deserves it!), so I came out and tried on some clothes.

Some of the clothes were a little… drab, but I managed to find a really cute outfit lurking in amongst all the frumpy dresses.

It was perfect. Cute, but not trampy and just my style. Now all I needed was a nice guy to show it off to, so I hit the local hotspot, Club Dante.

This place was amazing! I mean, really upmarket. I felt completely underdressed, and I didn’t think any of these yuppies would be that impressed if I told them I was a farmer.

There was one guy walking around who I noticed immediately. Tall, handsome, with striking eyes and a sense of power, he was striding around the room giving orders to his staff and mingling with the patrons of his bar.

“Hey,” he said, noticing me, “I haven’t seen you around here before, have I?”

“No,” I replied, smiling at his blunt attempt to introduce himself. “My name’s Beth Mossberg, I’ve just moved into Riverblossom Hills.”

“Ah, I know that area well,” he smiled. “Well, Beth, why don’t you tell me some more about yourself?”

To my surprise, he parked himself right there on the floor, ignoring the various sofas and chairs scattered around the room, and looked up at me, grinning.

I wasn’t sure if he was flirting with me or just a few sandwiches short of a picnic, but I followed suit and sat cross legged in front of him on the floor.

“So Beth, what brings you to sleepy Riverblossom Hills? I’d have thought an attractive, smart young woman like you would have settled down somewhere nearer to civilization.”

“Oh, civilization’s overrated,” I joked. “I’ve come here… you’re going to think I’m silly…”

“Well, that’s a rash assumption, Beth.” he said, the smile broadening on his face. He was definitely flirting. “Just amuse me and my curiosities.”

“Well, if you must know, I’ve moved here to start my own farm.” I winced, waiting for the derisive laughter.
“Really? That’s amazing.” he said. I opened my eyes in disbelief.

“What?”

“Seriously. I think it’s great, being completely self reliant. I wish I had that choice.”

“But you own this fantastic club, what more could you want?”

“True, this is a great place, but it’s not really mine. It belonged to my father, I inherited it from him when he died. It’s great to have, but sometimes I think it would be nice to have something that was actually mine.”

His eyes drifted over his bar and darkened, and just for a moment, he looked completely folorn.

“Come on,” I said, “I have an idea.”

I led him outside to a local store, and bought a packet of balloons.

“Beth, what are you doing?” he asked, bewildered.

“Giving you a break” I replied, as I filled the balloons from an outside tap and piled them on the floor.

“Now, you can have a few seconds headstart if you’re quick” I said, bending down and grabbing a water balloon.

“What do you - oi!” He yelled as the first balloon narrowly missed him.

“You’d better grab some ammo or you’re definitely going to lose!” I laughed.

Finally he realized what I was getting at. “Oh you’re so dead!” he chuckled, grabbing a handful of balloons and hurling them at me.

We hurled balloons back and forth, almost-but-not-quite hitting each other. I didn’t want him to have to go back to work soaked, but we both got a bit splashed. It was worth it just to see him relax and smile.

Finally, the balloon supply ran out, and he walked over to me, hands up in a truce, laughing.

“You really are one of a kind,” he said. “I’d love to do this again… well, perhaps not the water balloons, but maybe dinner?”

“I’d love to.” I replied, smiling. “When?”

“Tonight, about seven?” He replied.

I smiled, and gave him my address and phone number.

“I’ll see you tonight then, Beth,” he said, and headed back into his bar.

Just as I turned to head home, he called back to me.

“By the way, my name’s Malcolm.”
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 21st Jul 2007 at 5:49 PM
looks good !...and fun, I have this exact same challenge going on for myself, great idea huh?:D...and I have it started as a story, I may post it later, hopefully you won't mind.....its a fun challenge!..looking forward to reading more
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Jul 2007 at 5:56 PM
I'd love to see your story and I won't mind at all HP's idea was great, it's such a fun way to play. I've been playing legacies for a while so it's nice to try something different.

I have another chapter planned and almost written, so that should be up tomorrow. I'm really pleased people are enjoying it!
#16 Old 21st Jul 2007 at 6:20 PM
this is really great!!! i think ill try this but since i dont have seasons it'll be sorta diffrent anyways i cant wait to read some more!!!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 21st Jul 2007 at 8:40 PM
FABx, I think there's a download on MTS2 that lets you grow harvestable crops without Seasons. I'm not sure who it's by but it should show up in a search.

Update coming tomorrow!
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 22nd Jul 2007 at 1:31 AM
What is it with the men attacking women in Belle's boutique
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 22nd Jul 2007 at 8:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by starwyn
What is it with the men attacking women in Belle's boutique

I'm considering changing the name to Belle's Boutique and Boxing Ring. I swear every time I'm in there some guy attacks a woman. Usually the crazy pointy-nose guy.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 22nd Jul 2007 at 9:27 AM
Default Chapter 4 - A Change of Heart

Our first date was perfect. Malcolm had a devilish sense of humour, and he was surprisingly sweet.

As our dates continued over the weeks, we grew closer, and began spending much more time together.

He even managed to get me in fancy restaurants, even though I was still careful about what I ate.

He became involved in my garden, often popping over to join me in a late night fishing marathon, which usually ended in me cooking for him.

Thankfully I’d finally stopped burning things!

My garden began to flourish, and pretty soon I had my first harvest of oranges!

I spoke to Claudia a few times a week, mainly on the phone. She was keeping busy looking for jobs and trying to find a place of her own. Her parents seemed less and less willing for her to leave and I was beginning to worry about her.

One day while I was gardening, Malcolm arrived out of the blue.

“Hi honey! I wasn’t expecting you today.” I gave him a squeeze and a kiss.

“Well I missed you, so I thought I’d come over and surprise you.”

He leaned over and kissed me deeper. I looked up at him and smiled.

“Do you want to come in?”

Malcolm and I had an early night that night…

I woke up the next morning, and reached over for Malcolm next to me. He wasn’t there.

I got up and went into the kitchen, wondering if he was making breakfast. When I didn’t find him there, I knocked the door of the bathroom, and finally ran out into the garden. He’d gone.

I trudged back inside, feeling awful. Had I just been used? I couldn’t believe he’d just scarpered as soon as we slept together. I had to call him, even if it was just to have him dump me. I needed to know what was going on.

“Hello?”

“Malcolm, it’s me. What happened to you this morning?”

“Oh… I had to… do something.” He sounded shifty.

“Oh. Well, you’re obviously busy, so-”

“No,” he interrupted, “Not at all. Actually I wanted to talk to you. Can I come over?”

“Um… sure,” I replied, confused. Was he dumping me or not?

“Great. I’ll be over in a few minutes.”

When I saw him coming down the street, I ran outside, grabbed him, and kissed him. The last few weeks had been amazing, and I wasn’t going to let him go that easily.

“Wow,” he gasped, “I guess you missed me then!”

“Where the h*ll have you been? I don‘t know about you, but I don‘t sleep with every person I meet, and when I do I expect him to be there when I wake up!”

“Sorry,” he said, blushing, “I had some things to do.”

He wandered over to the pond, picked up a rod, and began to fish.

“Malcolm! Are you going to tell me what’s going on or not?”

He sighed, and set down the rod.

“You have to understand that this is hard for me.” he began.

“Malcolm, if you’re going to break up with me, can you hurry up?” I said, fighting the urge to cry. “ I’m cold.”

“I’m not here to break up with you.”

“What?”

“I’m crazy about you, Beth. I love everything about you, I love what you’re doing here, I love your eyes, your laugh, the fact that you hang out in your underwear…”

I blushed. I’d forgotten I hadn’t bothered to change since this morning.

“This morning I left early to see my estate agent. Ever since I met you, I‘ve been more and more aware of how unhappy I am. I hate my life, Beth! I hate having to go into work every day and see the faces of people who couldn‘t care less about me as long as I pay their wage. I hate going home to an empty house and eating whatever I can shove in the microwave because I‘m too exhausted to cook. I need to change my life. I want to move in with you, Beth, if you‘ll have me. I’m selling my house.”

“WHAT?!”
#21 Old 22nd Jul 2007 at 9:19 PM
omg lol she's hanging out in her underwear hehe great update!!!
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 23rd Jul 2007 at 12:17 AM
great update aryxa - sorry, Katie
#23 Old 23rd Jul 2007 at 1:49 AM
I just read your story. I was hooked from the first chapter. I'm looking forward to your next update.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 23rd Jul 2007 at 5:52 AM
funny update...lol....I really don't think Malcolm is too well off...not sure though....watch out for his babies.....hehe
Mad Poster
#25 Old 23rd Jul 2007 at 6:42 AM
I love your story! I've been following chapter, but I also agree. Malcolm is not that well off and he's not that nice. I think your heroine may be in for a rough ride with him!!!!
Page 1 of 11