Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#26 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 12:17 AM
Default Chapter 13: "The Corrupting of the Shrew"

The librarian to which Harga was referring was none other than Dolly Malestrom, the happy housewife of Jeraime Malestrom. Jeraime and Dolly had, like Denny, annoyed the Meethlites.

Unlike Denny, who did it by ceasing to trade with them, Jeraime and Dolly were known for their seething editorial articles in the local paper, which decimated the claims of Meethlite sympathizers. It was the third week in Advent, and the young couple was acting like it was already Christmas.

Jeraime: "Ha! Got ya!"

Dolly: (giggling) "Jerry! Not in the snow!"

Jeraime: "Better than being buried in books all day, am I right?"

Dolly: "I love you!"

Jeraime: "God has been so good to us, Dolly!"

Dolly: "He'd be even better though, if..."

Jeraime: "Relax, this isn't a race! I know we'll have our children some day. For now though, let's be glad we can enjoy the gift of each other!"

Dolly: "I know. It's just...I'm worried!"

Jeraime: "About what?"

Dolly: "A lot of things."

Jeraime: "My brother is considerably older! Besides, I'm perfectly content with you, even if we are having a hard time having any children! Looking on the bright side, at least we don't have the problems that we're seeing in our nephew!"

Dolly: "Henry? I only wish I knew what was up with him. But we're not too significantly older than he is! Why would he believe anything we say anyway?"

Jeraime: "I'm 38! The boy's 25! That's still enough of a difference to matter."

Dolly: "I don't like the fact that he plays around with all that stuff! Does he have any idea where it comes from?"

Jeraime: "Darling…I can't claim to know what God's big plan is in all of this, but we're in this till the end. And if he means for you to carry on without me one day...then be prepared!"

Dolly: "We'll keep trying! The doctor said I have a good chance!"

Jeraime: "Yes. We'll keep trying. Now, let's go make dinner. I know Khumar and Lindsay will be eager for some!"

Still looking forward to getting their own house, Khumar and Lindsay were staying at the Malestroms' home. Things had been rough for Lindsay, as she had been unable to find work. She envied her sister in many ways, though she admitted that it was partly her fault that she was not as successful.

Her sister had been career-pursuing and very religious; Lindsay had been a drifter through life. Dolly eventually landed a job as a librarian in Portage, Michigan. When higher pursuits didn't come her way; she was still incredibly successful. The Librarian of Portage, as she was called, transferred to a job as a librarian in Dirbine living in Viron. Lindsay, by contrast, seemed to only be best at getting herself into trouble.

Dolly held out on romantic pursuits until she met Jeraime, and settled into a happy marriage. Lindsay hadn't waited for much of anything; and found herself marrying Khumar as much out of a sense of obligation as out of love. The Malestroms were very kind in helping the Hamiltons get back on their feet. None of them would realize what peril would ironically result from them all being so close.

Lindsay: "I feel awful being here, Khumar. It’s like…my mere presence…is…a dampening on…the very…pureness…and…beauty of this place!"

Khumar: "That's the wrong way to look at it! Hun, the very fact that we're allowed here is the completion of this season! Isn't it all about God's love, even for those who don't deserve it?"

Lindsay was not entirely consoled, but backed away a little bit, contenting herself to stare at the TV re-runs.

Lindsay: "You know, I wonder why Rudolph doesn't just tell them all to kiss..."

Khumar: "I know! However, the FCC would have never allowed that in the 1960's! You've gotta think of time periods here!"

Lindsay: "You know, you're unusually cheerful tonight!"

Khumar: "This is the evening the Lord has made! Sure, it ain't Christmas; but it's special in its own way! I know we won't have the best story to tell our kids some day about how we met; but at least we're together! Better all the crap we go through than that I should end up with anyone but you!"

Lindsay: "You're taking this right out of Jeraime's playbook, you copycat romantic!"

Khumar: "Okay, so I'm not original! Can you fault me? We're two stars forced to bask in the shadow of our older siblings! That doesn't mean we can't make it matter!"

Lindsay: "Don't I know it! But I will get that job at the bakery! They can't say no forever, can they?"

Khumar: "I doubt it. How could they resist a sweet like you? Ah...the moment! Anything to detract from the loss of my brother!"

Lindsay: "Brother? You…have a brother??? You’re only telling me this now? "

Khumar: "Well...more of a half-brother! You see...my mom was once married to certain McArthur; but returned to her maiden name of Hamilton after his death. Some punk took more than his fair share, so I came into the world. Nobody's seen him since. My poor brother Donte was only nine! It wasn't easy for either of us with no father."

Lindsay: "Well, we'd better help the others prepare for dinner."

Khumar: "I...don't know why I mention this to you now but...he was more than just my half-brother!"
Advertisement
Original Poster
#27 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 12:26 AM
Default Chapter 13, Part 2

Lindsay paused for a second. Normally, she would've just ignored him and done what she wanted. But this time, she paused.

Lindsay: "Yes?"

Khumar: "He...well...he was Emeraldon!"

Lindsay: "What?"

Khumar: "Yeah. But...almost everyone now believes he's dead!"

Lindsay: "Khumar! What a horrible secret to have to keep!"

Khumar: "I was his greatest confidant for many years! But that all changed as of this past August. Now, I'm not even sure he is still alive!"

Lindsay: "What happened?"

Khumar: "He...got caught up in that whole stupid Meethlite-Phaelite war thing! His ship was attacked in the raid over Gerosha that occurred this past August. No sign of him or his girlfriend anywhere!"

Khumar: "What are you doing?"

Lindsay: "Looking where you stashed your family album!"

Khumar: "Why?"

Lindsay: "I wanna know who this ‘girlfriend’ of his was!"

Khumar: "I don't know...some Candy Cane chick! Candy! Ha! Sounds like a stripper name!"

Lindsay: "Worse..."

Khumar: "Worse? What could be worse than my brother dating a stripper???"

Lindsay: "How’s about…a potential Centhuen Prototype!"

Khumar: "A what???"

Lindsay: "Khumar...that isn't ‘Candy’ with a ‘Y’. It's with an ‘I’. And this is no ordinary Candi that he was dating!"

Khumar: "She...looks ordinary enough to me!"

Lindsay: "I've seen this girl in the library at Viron University! She goes under the last name of Stevens, but there are no Stevenses that I'm aware of that come from Gerosha. This…is Candi Flippo!"

Khumar was taken aback. Candi Flippo? Could his brother truly have been dating a Flippo? It was unthinkable!

Khumar: "My…frog!!! Flippo? Candice…Flippo…as in, daughter of Stan and Shalia Flippo??? You serious?"

Lindsay: "I'm almost certain! She's going by the name of Stevens, because she doesn't know if any of Donte's family members are still alive! Her sisters are scattered and hidden, and one of them is dead. Her parents are dead, and her brothers have practically disowned her. We're the closest thing to a family she has left! We have to find her before the Meethlites do, or else that girl is in serious trouble!"

Nobody ate easily that evening. Lindsay's thoughts turned to solving the mystery of where Candi was. Jeraime worried that the Meethlites would be after her in no time, and that getting involved would fare ill for all of them.

Jeraime: "Lindsay...you're sure that this Candi is out there?"

Lindsay: "We have her photo with Donte. It's about the only evidence he left us of who his mysterious love is, as I'm sure he wished to protect her. I could almost swear that I've seen her at the campus library! She doesn't know who we are; but if we don't do something..."

Dolly: "I understand. This is serious. But we're technically not family! If she isn't married to him, or hasn't had any kids with him, there is no blood relation!"

Lindsay: "You may be right, Dolly. But even if she never considers us family; she's got to be lonely—always in hiding like that! If she doesn't have friends, then even if she isn't captured, she'll very likely go crazy out there!

I speak from experience here: if we do nothing, she may end up making some very poor choices!"

The wind picked up outside the house, and the atmosphere of the chilly night went from one of family warmth to one of fear and uncertainty. They all knew something was wrong...but what?

The doorbell rang. Who could possibly be stopping by the door?

Jeraime: "I'll get it! Sheesh, I'm about ready to pull that thing out of the wall!"

Jeraime opened the door to find...nobody!

Jeraime: "Hmmm...odd! Who'd be pranking me tonight?"

Harga: (to Justin) "Now!!!"

Justin: "Get victim!!!!"

The brainwashed man followed orders immediately, while the two Meethlite elders moved in for the others.

Jeraime was immediately frozen in terror and disbelief at what charged right at him!

Jeraime: "Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!"

Jeraime: "Aaaarrrrrgggg!! Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!"

The pain was almost unbearable, but it would be over soon. Jeraime had been placed against his will in the suit! Musaran was born.

The machine wherein which he was built had been blown apart by the violence! But at least Harga had succeeded at her goal. Jeraime Malestrom was now Musaran, a ruthless shrew cyborg that would do the Meethlites' bidding!

Almost immediately, the evil AI began to take its effect, feeding off of Jeraime's natural aggression! Things didn't look good for Justin until Harga's interference!

Justin: "End threat!!!"

Jeraime: "DIEEE!!!!!!!!!"

Harga: "Stop!"
Original Poster
#28 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 1:37 AM
Default Chapter 13, Part 3

Arfaas: "Harga! I see you've completed him!"

Harga: "Relatively! He'll need to be sent back to a lab to recharge, but other than that, he's good to go. Now it's time to find out just how many centipedes really are crawling among us!"

Arfaas: "How do we know he'll be an improvement over that ridiculous joke?"

Harga: "Easy, brother! Musaran…how do you feel???"

Musaran: "They will DIEEEEE!!!!!!!"

Harga: "Brother! Must we leave so soon?"

Arfaas: "We have more pressing affairs! The AI will guide Musaran where he needs to go."

Harga: "Brother?"

Arfaas: "Come with me! The others can handle things from here!"

Harga was reluctant to pass through the Zeran teleporter mirror as her brother had, but agreed that there was no more need for them to fret. Musaran would take care of the Centhuen Prototype threat, would he not?
Original Poster
#29 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 2:05 AM
Default Chapter 14: "The Seeds of Despair"
Chapter 14: "The Seeds of Despair"

Candi’s life seemed to be improving; however relatively. Denny was fast becoming more and more valuable an asset to her life; but she didn’t like the idea of merely using him as a resource.

She knew that he had strong feelings for her, but that he was repressing them. Already, they had been through several adventures dealing with the strange things around the town of Viron. Christmas was fast approaching, and as Candi’s shift ended one evening, she and Denny both decided independently of one another to make the evening special.

Candi: “Ha ha! Strike!!! Your turn!”

Denny: “You know…I’m not sure going up against someone with super aim constitutes fair play!”

Candi: “Oh, come on! With all the crazy crap you’ve smuggled, you’ve gotta have hands that are a thing of beauty!”

The ball went in, hitting all but one pin. Denny gazed at Candi with a look of accomplishment on his face.

Candi: “Game?”

Denny: “Uh…I guess so!”

Candi: “You don’t have to be so flustered! Keep in mind, I do work here.”

Denny: “I know, Candi. It’s just…well…I don’t know how to put it!”

Candi: “Spit it out, Romeo! I'm not a complete idiot!”

Denny: “You…know?”

Candi: “I don’t need centuition to figure out that you’re hiding something other than criminal history!”

Denny: “ ‘Criminal’? That's such a strong word! More like…man with disfavorable past business connections…”

Candi: “It’s…the strangest feeling I have though. Ever since that night just a few months ago when you saved me…we’ve been saving each other ever since. I…don’t know what to think!”

Denny: “You’re full of contradictions, my darling! First, you condemn me for selling unauthorized technology to our common enemies. Now…you make an appeal…as though we were...star-crossed!”

Candi: “You know how I feel about…”

As Candi drew closer to Denny, she had to fight back the tears. Denny knew he had to act quickly to get her under control, lest she make too big a scene…

Denny: (whispering) “Hey…easy, easy! It’s okay…I know you didn’t mean to kill Don! And Donte did what he did for you out of love!”

Candi: “Denny…strange enough…you’re starting to sound...just like Donte! Is he...guiding you from above?”

Denny: “I…only wish that were true. I’m thankful to be in the fine company of one so faithful as you. My family hates God and hates anything of spiritual insinuation. I feel so out of place with them! Yet…we have this in common…we seem to be the only ones in the world that fully trust and understand one another.”

Candi: “That’s not healthy. But then…”

Denny: “Then…I know what you mean! Eventually, we’ll have to come out of our hiding places and make the Meethlites pay for all they’ve done. But for now…, oh that we could just not have to worry about them!”

As they stood there talking, a nervous Jeral Cormier sat by in the distance. He couldn't overhear the discussion, but he could ascertain that something was very wrong. He had his share of problems. What Denny and Candi didn't know is that they were far from being the only ones who would understand their present predicament!

A voice suddenly called out: "Candi! Jeral! Get in here!"

Denny: "What happened now?"

Candi: "Uh...can you hold on a second? I...think I might have left the Slicktor shoes to dry too much..."

Jeral: "Sir...if there's anything wrong with..."

Cladeus: "Relax, Jeral! I am fully aware of what those Phaelites did to you! I understand that you're leaving us soon to seek health treatments...I didn't send you back here to scold you!"

Cladeus: "And who might you be, Mr.?"

Denny: "Denny Levens, MD."

Cladeus: "Do you always park yourself in the employees-only areas?"

Candi: "He's with me...don't worry."

Cladeus: "Your...boyfriend?"

It ached for Candi to say it...that was Donte's rightful position! How could she so soon have forgotten the memory of Donte and attached herself to another?

Nevertheless...he did promise her that he would be very understanding no matter what happened. How could Candi cope with this violation of her basic values?

She had two romantic interests? Nevertheless...what if Donte were truly dead? She knew she was cornered; but she and Denny got along together so well...how could she not do justice to their special and intimate friendship? Had Denny been sent as a replacement for Donte?

Candi: "Ur...yes, sir! That was...just recently decided!"

Cladeus: "Well, as long as he doesn't make a habit of it, I won't have a problem."

Denny: "Candi?"

Candi: "I can't keep holding in my feelings all the time!"

Denny: "Candi...we've...only known each other for a few months...and I...I don't deserve you!"

Candi: "Maybe true, maybe true. However...we can't keep holding on to our dead loved ones...we'll go crazy! Besides, you've often spoken of wanting to go out with me! I have no idea how long this will last...but God willing...we will both at the very least grow from this experience."

Denny: "You have a heart so faithful; I didn't think you'd ever be able to move on! I want you to know: I will never be able to replace what you've lost...but I will protect you in my embrace...for whatever little that is worth!

Let's not rush to wed or anything though...we must not go too far until we know it is right! To do otherwise would be to set ourselves up for what we cannot afford!"

Candi: "You're very thoughtful! How did you know that I still hurt inside?"

Denny: "I don't need your instincts to know you're not telling me everything! We both have far too many secrets to expose before we can trust each other with forever!"

Candi: "How's about a date after this meeting? The restaurant section is open 24-7!"

Denny: "I would be much obliged!"

Cladeus: "Love with wisdom! Such a combination, I thought went extinct well over a century ago! Anyway, since the three of you are here with me...I figured I'd let each of you in on a secret."
Original Poster
#30 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 2:27 AM
Default Chapter 14, Part 2

Candi: "Yes?"

Cladeus: "I'm retiring!"

Candi was overtaken by the surprise. Cladeus? Retiring? Why?

Cladeus: "So puzzled, Candi?"

Candi: "Sir! You've made Hazy Eighties what it is!"

Cladeus: "That's right...but in spring time...a new manager will take over for me! A certain Mr. Nanale has made a tender offer on this place!"

Cladeus: "I'm warning you of this now...because I have a feeling he will want to make some very dramatic changes to the way this place is run!"

Candi: "I'm...sure I can handle it!"

Cladeus: "He might not allow such part-time work as what you currently have here. Give him a little bit of a chance, Candi! I've only met with him briefly...and I don't think he's the kind that appreciates women of your integrity. I would not rule out looking for another job!"

Candi: "Why aren't you telling everyone of this?"

Cladeus: "Because...I don't want to lose too many employees in protest!"

Candi: "Is Victor a bad man?"

Cladeus: "I don't know. He doesn't seem very professional or nice, but I don't know if he's truly a 'bad man'!"

Jeral: "Then...why are you telling us this?"

Cladeus: "Because...someone needs to explain to the others what happened! I won't smoothly transition to the new management. It will happen one day...without warning!"

None of the discussion made sense to either Candi or Denny. Why would Cladeus not see that the other employees' finding out was inevitable? Why the secrecy? Candi didn't have to worry about money...only about maintaining her alibi. Denny, growing tired of it, decided to intervene, taking Candi into his arms.

Denny: "Well in that case...How's about that date?"

Candi: "I'd be much obliged!"

Deep inside, a nervous twitch shivered down Cladeus' spine. He sensed the absolute worst about Victor, and felt horrible for being a coward. Why could he not explain to them the real reason for which he'd called them back?

Candi: "If you'll excuse me, Cladeus..."

Cladeus: "Go right ahead, Ms. Stevens! You are off the clock!"

Candi: "Jeral? You okay?"

She didn't know what was going on with her co-worker...but her centipede instincts were kicking in. The phantom scream was but a faint whisper...

Jeral: "You...really don't want to know. My suggestion...pray, every night if you can...that the Phaelites and Meethlites BOTH go to Hell! And if you associate with them...then...you can be damned too!!!"

Candi: "You okay? What happened?"

His sudden bursts of insane rage alarmed the remaining three. What was he trying to hide?

Feeling the worst springing up from within him, he rushed out of the office door, panicking as he made his way to the main exit!

Candi: "Jeral!"

Had her co-worker completely snapped? Candi feared he would hurt someone if she didn't intervene, so she gave chase.

Denny: "Candi! No!"

They couldn't stop her. Something was very wrong outside, and she had to respond.

The agony Jeral felt quickly took over!

Jeral: "Noooo!!!!!! Curse you, Phaletori sect! Ahhhhhhh!!!!!"

Candi: "Jeral! What's happening to you?"

Jeral: "Leave...me...ALONE!!!!!"

Without thinking, his eyes flashed and he saw a sight too horrible for his own belief! His arms - they had become vines!!!

Candi had never seen anything like it! What was her co-worker turning into? She dodged his vine assault easily, but remained puzzled. What was Jeral talking about? At any rate, she knew she couldn't afford to use her centilegs in the parking lot- it would blow her cover!

Feeling an uncontrollable urge from within, Jeral continued to fight Candi! She jumped over a fence for safety; and he followed, not resting until he'd gotten more swipes at her!

Just when he thought he'd had her in the perfect choke hold, something came out of her that snapped his vines clean off!

Candi: "Jeral! It's no use! Let me help you!"

Jeral began looking more and more plant-like by the minute!

Jeral: "This is what I didn't want the boss to see! You may as well give it up, puny Centhuen Prototype! Tell Cladeus that I quit!"

Candi: "You don't have to be a monster!"

Jeral: "Save it!!!"
Original Poster
#31 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 2:44 AM
Default Chapter 14, Part 3

Jeral: "They've tried, and tried, and TRIED to change me back! It never holds!!! Just be thankful that I hate the Meethlites every bit as much as those meddling Phaelites! Candi Stevens indeed! I smell a Flippo! I should have known...seen through all your lies!!!"

Candi: "Then come with me and Denny! We need to know what the catalyst it is that will make the reaction permanent! Denny can research and..."

Jeral: "I am nothing now! The Phaletori sect mock me...calling me...Botan! I have no future, if that's what you would desire for me! Run away little centipede! And whatever you do...don't follow me!!!"

Surprise strike! Candi didn't prepare properly for Jeral's next move! Even with her Centhuen Protoype endurance, the impact was extremely cold! She knew that as soon as she got the wind back in her, he'd be gone. For him to use his vines like that on her, he had to keep warm too!

Candi brushed herself off, now near-shivering in the icy cold of the outdoors!

Candi: "Nothing ever stays simple with these guys, does it?"

Denny: "Candi! You had me worried out there! Just what on earth happened?"

Candi: "This is part of the curse into which I was born, Denny. In our future, we'll have to be ready for anything!"

Denny: "Well...try not to let it happen too often, okay? I'd like to at least see you live long enough for us to have a future!"

Candi reached out her hand, eager to let Denny know that things would be all right.

Candi: "And...I will! I will. No matter how many invisible men, plant men, psycho mobsters, dart-throwing rapists, or half-alligators I encounter...we will live to see Donte's memory avenged, and our own lives made secure!"

Denny: "Well in that case...I've grown tired of this joint already! What do you say...Christmas at my place?"

Candi: "I'd love to!"

Denny: "Oh how I only wish I had your confidence about things!"

Candi: "Don't feel too bad! After all...God is protecting us both. We both have Meethlite death warrants hanging over us!"

Denny: "Indeed...I almost forgot about that!"

With that, she blew a kiss.

Candi: "You silly goose!"

Candi still felt awful inside for her sudden decision to start dating Denny. After all, she couldn't be certain that Donte really was dead! She did her best to hide her true emotion.

She knew she'd have a hard time forgiving herself if she discovered Donte were still alive; and that even prompted her all the more to agree with Denny that they should proceed slowly.

On the other hand, if he were dead, then she was finally being given the sweet release she had often prayed for! This man, sitting across from her...could he be her future?

Better yet, she hated having to go by the last name of "Stevens." It was a lie! But if this man were her future; then she would gladly embrace a true identity: Candi...Levens…
Original Poster
#32 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 5:28 AM
Default Chapter 15: "A Centipede By Any Other Name"
Chapter 15: "A Centipede By Any Other Name"

Wilbur: "Yes then...so, we are to forgive, even murderers...as individuals! But we are also to uphold the rule of law!

Now, keep in mind, when Jesus speaks to the mob that is about to stone the woman, he is not telling the acting Roman authorities what to do!"

Wilbur: "For he has already made it plain that the authorities are to ensure restitution! He does speak to magistrate individuals about the woman! He is warning authority impostors that she should not be condemned...not without due process of law, which they lack! They are but vigilantes, acting not out of necessity but out of vanity.

The woman's crime is an affront to Rome; but not to the Israel that no longer existed. And that is assuming they can prove the allegations against her true in the first place! They make no effort at a trial; but assume only the right, under their pretense of reverence for the Law, to play judge, jury, and executioner. Yet, they try to set a trap for Jesus, who was not bothering them at the time. With this evil in their hearts, they were already disqualified to be judge and jury, let alone executioners..."

Candi was glad to hear the sermon topic Wilbur had chosen that morning. While she wasn't sure she was entirely ready to forgive herself for ignoring the danger of the phone call, nor was she entirely ready to forgive the Meethlites for what they had done to her life.

She still appreciated hearing the truth that she would need to dispose of her sister's killers only to keep them from endangering society; but not because they killed her sister. It was more about vocation and prevention than it would be about revenge.

She was even more delighted to know that Denny actually showed up for a service.

Wilbur: "In this then, do we grow to understand the mind of God perhaps a little better. Justice and mercy are neither one complete until they have existed in balance and harmony with one another; and only an infinite being can perfectly balance the two!

He gives us a picture of harmony though: we are told as individuals to love our enemies! Yet, institutions are to uphold the rule of law and punish lawbreakers! That includes declaring war on those who've declared war on us in time of war. This goes along with the teaching of vocations; a time and a place for everything!"*

Wilbur: "Even within Rule of Law, there is a time when one is to be meted with understanding, and a time when one is to be meted out with death. As flawed as our human institutions may be, we can still gain very good guesses through learning what to look for.

King David understood that the time was not right to exact vengeance on the man who taunted him; for that man's heart was the problem; and if not treated, it would be God himself who would find a way for that man to face justice!**

Solomon did his share of making that happen[3], but the fact is, David denied his opportunity for personal revenge. Yet; at the same time, it was when Saul ignored his vocation to bring the Amalekites to justice that the Jews suffered endlessly from their enemies." [4]

The congregation had its share of individuals from numerous walks of life; and many of them grew uneasy with the implications of Wilbur's words. Yet, Wilbur remained thankful that nobody had outright left in frustration. He assumed it meant the Spirit was getting through, though he could see that many in the congregation were resisting the message.

Wilbur: "So even in terms of when to forgive and when to deal out discipline or judgment; there is a time to do one and to do the other. Life is a calling. Many of us will take a long time to figure out what ours really is..."

The words were beginning to hit Candi a little too close to home, but she listened on, as Denny watched on with great curiosity.

Wilbur: "But we must be assured that even when we completely mess up on determining what it is, God is right there, willing to lead us where we ought to go! We may doubt our direction, or feel we have two at once; and not know how to travel to two places at once!

Our vocator will not deal out vocation to us if it would contradict his word, nor will he abandon us to a conundrum that he himself cannot fix for us!"

In front of Candi and the others sat in a green-dressed Nolle Barret; a cold-hearted, retired schoolteacher. She had seen what had become of the children of Viron as they had grown up; become very aware of the evils they practiced regularly on campus.

Amidst her disillusionment, she had unfortunately reached the conclusion that the university was nothing but a pack of wolves which threatened her comfortable perception of reality with their decadence. Of many of the student body, she could not have been more right. But she was willing to go too far with her conclusion.

Frequently, she watched on in distrust of Candi. Very carefully, she and the other "Granny Brigade" members had begun to sway the congregation with their prejudice against Candi. Only Liz, Wilbur, and Denny did not believe a word of the slander.

After the sermon had ended, Denny quickly left, saying he had to get some things at the store. Candi piled out with the rest of the congregation, but something seemed very wrong. The children gathered around her; but she couldn't figure out what they wanted.

Candi: "Travis? What's wrong?"

Travis: "Please Candi! You look so awesome and all! I know you're cool! I don't believe what that old hag Mrs. Barret says about you! You will be our new Sunday School teacher, won't you?"

Candi: "Well...I would like to believe that I will be. But...what things is she saying?"

Before Travis could give away any more secrets, a loud voice called out, forcing Candi and the others to jump with surprise.

Pete: "Candi!!!"

Candi: "Yes, Pete?"

Pete: "Come into the office with me, right now!!!"

The kids immediately scattered, as though they expected that the conspiracy they were trying to warn Candi about might come after them as well.

Candi: "What's wrong, Pete?"

Pete: "Follow me into the office, and you'll find out!"

She didn't take too kindly to his threatening demeanor, but she knew that there was no way out. Why would anyone at that church be so angry with her? As she quickly turned back to look, all the faces seemed to be going about their manner...as though they expected what was happening her to be normal!

She knew something was very wrong now, but what?

Candi: "Would you please explain what's going on, Pete? You're freaking me out!"

Pete: "A good thing too! Now lock that door behind you!"

Candi: "No!!! I'm not locking myself in here with ANY man, but ESPECIALLY not you!"

Without hesitation, he rushed behind her and slammed the door shut, locking it.

Pete: ""Eat that, Miss Insubordination!!!"

Candi: "Pete, get away from the door, now!!!"

Pete: "You are not to go near those kids, understand???"

Candi: "They approached me! I had no..."

Pete: "Do you UNDERSTAND!!!???"

Candi: "Why won't you just tell me what's going on?"

Her phantom scream didn't go off, so she knew she wouldn't have to use her powers on him. Still, she suspected the worst given that his temper was out of line. Why was she being treated like this...in a church?

Candi: "You can't trap me in here like this without an explanation!"

Pete: "Don't you already know? How could you possibly apply for a position as a Sunday School teacher?"

Candi: "Easily! The kids love me, and this place needs me! Otherwise..."

Pete: "Otherwise known as...you are an outside piece of Viron University sewer trash who is now getting after the kids!!!"

As Candi heard that, she walked further back to get away from the imposing Pete, he walked further forward, offering her no comfort space.

It began to dawn on her...the kids were trying to warn her of something!

Candi: "What was Nolle saying to the kids about me?"

Pete: "Nolle is not your business!"

Candi: "Excuse me? Those kids claimed that she's been saying things about me! If I'm the target of a smear campaign, then it very well IS my business!"

Pete: "Don't be a rebel, Candi!"

Candi: "Rebel? I have rights, twirp!"

Pete: "You are not a leader; you never will be! So casually do you joke about what you did this past March during the basketball playoffs with your boyfriend!!!"

* Ecclesiastes 3 | ** 1 Samuel 16:9 | [3] ^ 1 Kings 2:3 | [4]^ 1 Samuel 15
Original Poster
#33 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 5:56 AM
Default Chapter 15, Part 2

Candi: "Objection! That was Liz! And she was boasting to me! I was telling her that I didn't think it wise!"

Pete: "So tell me, are you and that airplane mechanic still rolling in the hay, or have you gotten bored with him?"

Candi: "Denny is not an airplane mechanic! He's a doctor! And I am NOT sleeping with him!!!"

Pete: "I wasn't talking about Denny! But I'm sure you've been all over him too! And now you consider yourself a role model to teach little children!"

Candi: "I am not a skank, Pete!!! All these instances involve women you have me confused with!"

Pete: "And you know all of them how?"

Candi: "They go to the same school I do! And some of them attend this very building! Why aren't you going after them?"

Pete: "Because...the district president is going to be visiting with us very soon. The last thing we need is slime like you giving our building a bad name in the institution! Those others didn't apply to be teachers!"

Candi: "Then...I'm a victim of politics? How very cheap of you! And I thought this place was above such stupidity!"

Pete: "A little siren like you is hardly a victim!"

Candi: "And how does Nolle know I've talked to any of those girls? Has she been stalking me?"

Pete: "You will refrain from speaking any further of Ms. Barret!"

Candi: "I don't have time for this, you control freak! You're out of line! I'm talking to Denny about this!"

Pete: "There's no use in defending yourself, Candi...everyone knows what you've been doing!!!"

Candi: "Prove it, creep!"

Pete: "Take a look for yourself!"

As Candi opened the door, she found a sight that had her utterly dismayed...Pete was right! Since Candi first arrived, Nolle had done nothing but try to poison the congregation against her! Several angry faces stared at her as she tried to make her way to the exit.

Emmy: "No dreg of society is teaching a thing to my kids!!!"

Mehrissa: "You bit off more than you could chew this time, hussy!"

A feeling of absolute dread began to fall over Candi. How did this crowd of hate suddenly form so quickly around her? And in a church???

This was all wrong! She was the only living virgin Flippo from her generation, and was being treated as she imagined Mary must have felt before Joseph's dream.

Candi: "No...no!!! No!"

Candi: "You have it all wrong! How DARE you sickos accuse me!!!"

Then, right in front of Candi, stood her accuser—Nolle!

Nolle: "I knew I'd get you yet…FLIPPO!!!!"

Candi was completely taken aback! Did Nolle's voice just change so quickly? And how did Nolle know she was a Flippo? Was that even Nolle talking? The voice sounded familiar...in a bad way! The drone of voices continued...

"You hooker! Get out of this building!" and "The kids of this building are not available to street sleaze!" echoed repeatedly.

Candi went to Viron University - guilt by association! But that voice...

It was one thing to Candi that everyone had believed a lie about her, but it was quite another that she was starting to hear that voice again!

She could have sworn that Kimiyato was gone forever! But not only had Kimi returned...she had somehow turned everyone against Candi!

Kimi: "That's right, Flippo girl! That's what we get for being sneaky, dishonest cowards now, isn't it?"

The feeling of Kimi's return was so real to Candi at that moment, that Candi almost felt as though she really had returned - physically!

Candi sensed Kimi all around...but especially felt as if she had taken form from directly behind!

Kimi: "Poor centipede girl! Yes, I know! Life is so unfair, is it not?"

Candi: "You're not real! Get away from me, she-devil!"

Kimi: "Au contraire, foolish one! You are just merely seeing a projection of me! But I assure you, I am quite real!"

Candi: "You've lost all right to me!"

Kimi: "Perhaps..but I know what struggles exist in your heart!"

Candi: "What would you know of hearts? You don't have one!!!"

Kimiyato: "Oh, I had one once! Silly me too! But that's of no consequence anymore! It's yours that I care about!"

Candi: "You never cared about me!"

Kimiyato: "Brat! I have yearned for your demise for ages! And I will get it! Now listen! You know what Denny expects of you, you realize?"

Candi: "Denny respects me enough to wait! I lost Donte to a war that your precious Meethlite bosses started! I know Denny's position isn't as strong as mine! But he will not force me to..."

Kimi: "Silly girl! Why are you holding your position? Why force the man to be more patient than normal?"

Candi: "Because...it's the right thing to do!"
Original Poster
#34 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 6:08 AM
Default Chapter 15, Part 3

Kimi: "Then listen up, sister! You know Denny is as good as dead, don't you? Go ahead! Save it for marriage and be a fool! Either way, you know you won't be able to save him!"

Candi: "Whether he or I live or die, I won't yield! And what do you know of Denny?"

Kimi: "I know that he's wanted! Keep building new family for yourself, Missy! But my masters will always find a way to take it away from you! Just like we took your sister!!!"

Candi's resolve grew weaker as Kimi's assaults kept coming.

Candi: "What do they know of my relationship with him?"

Kimi: "Nothing! That's the beauty of it! I don't want them to destroy you, or else I'd tell them! I want to save you all for myself!!! I don't know his last name!

Some strange force is blocking that from my mind even as you think up the answer! But I will always find you! I just hope you survive your suffering long enough to not deny me the pleasure of the final victory!"

Candi didn't realize it, but she was about to play right into the menace's hands.

Candi: "Then...I'll delay my destiny! I'll move away from this pit when I graduate! You can't kill what you can't find!"

Kimi: "I'm linked to your mind! I'll get you no matter what you do to stop me! Sooner or later, your creativity will run out!!!"

Desperately, she searched for an answer to the menace. But what kind of come back would work? As she thought about it, she realized that she was standing behind a church building!

Candi: "Then it's a good thing I have a friend in Christ! Even if I'm not good to him, and take your advice on Denny; I know He won't abandon me to you forever!"

Candi continued to walk on, the voice and sensation of Kimi's presence growing gradually dimmer.

As Kimi's projection weakened, she knew she had discouraged Candi's moral resolve ever so slightly. She still failed to topple Candi's faith, in spite being assisted by the hatred and lies Nolle had spread.

Kimi would not fade away feeling completely defeated. After all; it would take Wilbur's direct investigation into the matter several months later for Candi to be exonerated.

In the mean time, Candi didn't feel safe going to church; but held devotions periodically with a wishy-washy Denny.

If Kimiyato had any reassurance in her defeat, it was that she at least planted conflicts of interest in Candi deeper than they had already been. Even so, would it be enough to lead to Candi's ultimate undoing?
Original Poster
#35 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 6:46 PM
Default Chapter 16: "No-Respect Zoning"

Candi: "No...way!

Candi: "An afternoon of centilegs and jumping rooftops in a crude outfit, and even stopping a pickpocket, this seemed like a perfect day! But this?"

She had been given the week off, with her boss's blessing. She had foiled some more crimes in the dark of the night, making improvements to her crude suit. But when she came back to work at the Hazy Eighty's...there wasn't one!

Gretchen: "Hey...aren't I just a hottie?"

Victor: "Oh, you sure are! I can see them lighting up for you as we speak!"

The entire scene was baffling to Candi, who had simply no clue what to make of the situation! This Victor guy didn't just buy Hazy Eighty's, he destroyed it!

Candi: "What the heck happened here? I'm gone one week, and the whole thing is..."

Victor: "Oh, you! You must be that Candi bitch I was informed about! Didn't that schmuck inform you? I run this joint now, little tat!"

Candi: "So you must be..."

Victor: "Victor Nanale! But you can just call me...the Love Machine!"

Candi immediately knew something was very wrong with Victor; but she couldn't quite pin it. What was he trying to corner her into? She decided to tell a white lie to cover her tracks.

Candi: "I'll pass. I'm already considering engagement to someone else!"

Victor: (half-snorting) "Oh...I hope he likes 'em…hot!"

Candi: "You disgusting pig!"

Victor: "Hey! That's no way to talk to me, Missy! I’ll smack dat fannie of yours into shape!"

Candi: "When you signed on, did you fail to read the part about sexual harassment guidelines? You've been doing nothing but..."

Victor: "Puttin' you in yo’ place, slut! See my two hoes over there? You're gonna learn to SUBMIT! Just like them!"

Candi: "What? I don’t believe this!"

Victor: "Ha ha ha!!! Gretch! Get our new S&M babe up to date with the program!"

Victor: "I said Gretch!"

Brandi: "Trust me! I've got the skills!"

Candi was already wondering...was this all just a dream she had walked into? It was already a nightmare!

Brandi: "Hazy Eighty's is all over, hun! We're not gonna be servin' drinks no more! We're gonna be showin' off what we got for all them hot dudes out there!"

Candi: "Is she for real?"

Victor: "That's right! Why don't you stop by my place, and I'll get you more comfortable with your new job description...my…Candi Apple!!!"

Candi: "Eww!! Don't you remember? I just told you, I already have a man!"

Victor: "So what? You…need to be broken into! He'll like it better when there's room...and competition!"

She couldn't believe what this man was saying to her! He was no respectable business man - he was a pimp!

Candi: "Why does everyone in this town think I'm easy!!! ? I came here to work at a bowling alley, not prostitute myself for a man who hates God!"

Victor: "Ah...wrong answer! And don't give me the whole lecture! I know all that stuff! You think I care? I'm a made man! I dress like a nobody cause I like living this way!"

Candi: "Then I quit!"

Victor: "Oh, come on! You'll make a lot more money as a stripper here than you ever made at that stupid bowling alley!"

Candi: "I'm not concerned about money! Sir! You know what kinds of crowds are drawn in by strip clubs, if that's what you intend to build! This is a residential neighborhood! With a lot of kids that…"

Victor: "It's a college town with a lot of horny students! That's money for me, toots! As for the kids, well, that's their problem! It would do them some good to get a little experience!"

Could she believe her ears? Did he just say that? That was the kind of talk of someone from the Kerpher Gang! Was this new Victor Nanale a member? It would explain his poor judgment on where to build a strip club.

Victor: "What's the matter now, angel girl?"

Candi: "You! You're...."

Victor: "A what?"

Candi: "Kerph..."

Victor: "Yeah? What are you gonna do about it??? You're fired! If I see you around here again, I'll rape ya!"

Victor: "In fact...ladies...break her in!!!"

Resisting the urge to use her centilegs, Candi quickly put up a few moves, and the two strippers were easily defeated!

Victor: "You'll NEVER see the end of me!!!"

Candi: "Maybe, maybe not! You're as slippery as something you've probably used far too often! But the legacy of Hazy Eighty's will live on! You come for me again, and I'll knock down your hookers just as easily next time!"

Victor: "Fair enough! But I have legal rights to this building! And the police and district ain't told me what I can't do yet! So just you go home, little doll, and let your boyfriend do his worst!

Besides, next time, I'll bring big, sweaty guys to teach you some respect! What's there for a college girl like you to do? Get with the program!!! I’ll let you lick them while they kick you around!"
Original Poster
#36 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 6:52 PM
Default Chapter 16, Part 2

Candi: "College life offers more than one program, snake!"

Candi knew that the presence of a Kerpher in the neighborhood was asking for trouble. But who would believe her? She knew that Victor, as part of that gang, would eventually act on his evilest desires. But she was a lone witness, and everyone believed she was just like the women who had just threatened her!

With her former workplace now a sewer for all the scum of society to indulge their appetites for evil; who would believe that Candi was legitimate in anything? She had enough money that she didn't have to worry about having a job, but what about doing something with her life besides her late-night vigilante work?

Outside her extremely small circle of allies, nobody had connected her to her vigilante work. How would she keep that from becoming a full time job and endangering her if she had to put up with all her non-Meethlite enemies with no escape?

Chassy: "I don't know what to think, Clay! It's just me, Carla, and Sarah! And this field could really use a better paint job! I don't know if any of these lines are straight!"

Clay: "We'll get a pom-squad together, don't worry!"

Mike: "I must admit, I like you new look!"

Larry: "Gee...thanks! Sheesh, we don't even have a team, a full cheerleading squad, nor a real helmet for me to wear! This looks ridiculous! Whose big idea was it to call us the 'Camelorem' anyway? We're not even the Camels! We're the something 'Of-Many-Camels'!"

Sarah: "I think it kinda funny though...we're out here to form a pom squad, with no cheerleaders and no goal posts! Three girls does not a pom-squad make!"

Candi: "Here I come! I'm not too late, am I?"

Chassy: "Not at all! In fact, we're pretty desperate! What convinced you to join?"

Candi: "Some creep took over the bowling alley, and wants to make it a strip club!"

Chassy: "Hazy Eighty's? Yeah, that's insane!"

Candi: "I told the guy no way in hell was I going to degrade myself like a prostitute for him, so he fired me!"

Chassy: "Well in that case, welcome to the team, Miss..."

Candi: "Stevens! Candi Stevens!"

Chassy: "Candi? That's a cool name! Welcome aboard!"

It was a cheap way to keep occupied; but Candi felt that at least when she wasn't fighting crime or doing school work, that the pom squad would help her fill the gap left behind by not having a job.

Yet, she feared that the others in the squad would eventually begin asking her tough questions - such as why she never feared her parents' opinions of her. Would she be prepared to answer?
Original Poster
#37 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 7:42 PM
Default Chapter 17: "To Love or Not to Love"

It was hard for Candi to believe, but a year had already passed since the death of Erin. In that time, she had thrown herself into fear and doubt about Donte's death or possible life; found herself a questionable new relationship, seen the return of her greatest telepathic foe, battled numerous street criminals, had several revisions to her crude night vigilante centipede suit.

She had also witnessed the transformation of Jeral Cormier into Botan, and gotten fired from work after being threatened by a sex-obsessed new manager. She was growing tired of the idea of being on the pom squad at school, and while she was not failing her classes by any means, she wished to take some of her studies more seriously.

Just as was the case over a year ago, so also now...she just could not sleep peacefully! Her mind was beginning to wander in numerous directions that she wasn't sure she enjoyed. She wasn't sure if it was merely wandering or if it was beginning to wear down!

Everywhere she went, even her own local church, she was facing pressure of one sort or another! Pressure to let Denny have too much of her too soon, pressure to give up on life; pressure to think too much or too little of herself; pressure to give up hope on Donte; pressure to chase after the notion of Donte to the point that she abandoned Denny...

Why were all these forces tormenting her? And why did they not give her any peace of mind...not even in sleep?

And did her mind ever wander that evening...

Everywhere she could imagine, she had been with Denny already. She no longer felt the need to fight the desire inside, save for ensuring it didn't actually happen.

Kimi's words were seeming all too twistedly seductive to her in her vulnerable state of mind...nobody cared about her dignity anyway! Nobody believed she had any! And the fantasies...they were becoming so enjoyable!

The whole time, all she could recall thinking was: "God, help...I cannot stop myself!" She knew that when she woke up, it would be a lot harder for her to keep what had happened between her and Denny from manifesting in real life. She wanted it!

How could she win a war against her own desires? At the same time, she knew that she was playing right into her worst enemies' hands! And yet...she yearned like never before to take the path her sisters had taken...to feel the sensations which they had oft transgressed to get their hands on!

Candi knew that she could not forever hold back her desire.

She vowed not to take the road of her sisters...but the lure was so fantastic! She knew what she had to do. She knew that sooner or later, Denny would ask her to marry him! Hiding under the name of Stevens was getting old, and Candi didn't know if there were any Flippos left besides herself!

It was becoming clearer to her...Denny was the way out...or so she believed! Why did she still fear Donte? He was in a better place, where they would never be separated again! But in her time on Earth...why not enjoy herself little? Her sisters had!

Then again, Candi feared judgment from all those whom she would be leaving behind! If her parents were alive, would they understand? What about Donte? How would she feel knowing none of them would attend her wedding?

The zombies in her dream kept getting closer, threatening to avenge her failure to honor them in life! Desperately, she tried to deploy her centilegs...but they would not deploy!!! She had no powers in her dream world!

"Gurrrrrr!!!!" they cried out to her!

Candi: "Go away!"

Try as she may, the zombies simply would not leave her alone!

Candi: "No!! No!!!"

The figures of her parents and of Donte grew more grotesque the more she looked at them!

They surrounded her with even more determination than before, and her dread grew stronger!

Candi: (sobbing) "Just kill me already!!!!"

She quickly woke up in terror! The zombies were gone...but her conflicted priorities and emotions remained! She thought she heard something from outside though...a struggle!

Candi decided to sneak out the back to get a look at who the outdoor menace might be, given that the voice seemed to remind her of something she may have heard before...

It was a Meethlite! But he wasn't pointing his gun at her or at the house! It was being pointed at...Denny?

Gunner: "I want to make this quick! Before I blow you away! Why are you at this house?"

Denny: "None of your concern, Gunner! I told you guys! I'm done dealing with you!"

Gunner: "Done, eh? 'Done' means dead! Where's the formulas? Are they in that house???"

Gunner: "Oh...I see! Your girlfriend's got the goods!"

Denny: "Girl?"

Gunner: "Don't play dumb with me, kid! I know you're 100% hetero, so don't be trying to play that angle on me neither!"

As the two of them chatted, Candi kept a low profile, eying intently the Meethlite before her. She could have sworn she'd seen him before...or at least heard that voice before! And Gunner? Why did that name ring a bell?

The more the Meethlite spoke his arrogance, the more Candi could feel the rage swell within her.

Denny: "All I do is pediatrician work these days! I take care of kids!"

Gunner: "Well, you'd better tell me where the formulas are! Project: Musaran is only the beginning! We can't get far if we have to start the other formulas over!"

Denny: "Project what?"

Gunner: "Urrr...Darn! Now you know too much! Hand over the formulas, or I'll add your head to my trophy case! Along with...Erin Flippo's!"

At that point, Candi could take it no longer! She recalled what Wilbur's sermon contained in it, but Gunner just wasn't sorry!

She was not about to let her sister's killer get away with killing her possible future husband as well! Leaping out from under the fence before Gunner could react; she quickly pummeled him, heaping one abusive blow after the next!

With each passing sting, Candi felt her resolve growing; and feeling a little bit safer in the world. Her sister's killer would be subdued before long, and justice would at last be served!

Gunner: "The Gifted One!!! How???"

Candi: "Stop calling me that!!! You killed my sister...now go to Hell!!!"

Gunner: "Not till you've tasted this!!!"

As the phantom scream grew louder and louder, she knew it was not any mere liquid being tossed at her! Narrowly, the stream missed her body as she dodged quickly to avoid it!

Denny: "That's right! The Stevens residence! Hurry! My girlfriend is out there battling this thing, and it's got a gun!"
Original Poster
#38 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 7:45 PM
Default Chapter 17, Part 2

Denny: "What? What do you mean, 'it's not a priority to save us'? Are you insane??? No! Don't hang up! Dang it!!!"

The police didn't care about Denny's safety. That was the first indicator that something was very wrong in Dirbine and Viron's law enforcement.

Noticing that Denny was back outside, Gunner quickly became distracted. He had set out to assassinate Denny and get the information! He was not about to be denied a second time!

Gunner: "It's over for you, Mr. Levens!!!"

He lowered the gun, quickly attempting to take aim at his literally helpless target below...but the split second he took his eyes off of Candi was all she needed!

In an instant, he was all wrapped up, and was being stung even more! He was not about to let the pain of the stings stop him! He could feel her venom making him slower, but he wasn't a quitter! Still, she quickly threw him with a slam to the ground! The gun soon flying out of his hand and firing in the distance, he knew that she had beaten him!

Candi: "It's over, Gunner!"

Gunner: "Are you really so foolish? It's over all right...but only for me!"

He quickly grabbed something from out of his trench coat pocket--a vat of something - but what?

Denny: "Gunner, nooooooo!!!!"

Candi needed only hear Denny shout in horror, and she already knew what the deal was: the vat was suicide!

She desperately jumped to get out of the way of the blast, but the sheer heat of the flame could be felt through her entire body anyway! She'd not felt a fire that hot since the Stolly's building was burned down!

When she got back up, most of her clothes had been fried right off of her! Miraculously, her hair wasn't gone...though she could tell it had been singed!

She felt burned all over her body, but she was all right. She was thankful that she had healing powers...or else she may not have made it very far after that blast!

Denny: "Candi! You're..."

Candi: "I'll be all right! It'll hurt for a few hours, and then I'll get better!"

Denny: "Are you sure? You got badly burned, you need to be in the hospital!"

Candi: "No...positive! I'll be fine! Just...stay here, for the night...I'll explain in the morning...okay?"

Denny: "I came here to get away from Gunner! I didn't want him to know where I really live, but I thought I'd out-run him by coming here! He found me anyway! And...where were the police?"

Candi: "Dear...the police won't come! If you told them it was a Meethlite, they probably told Merle! He's not going to send in troops for his own bosses! Your life doesn't matter that much to them. Besides, if they found out about me..."

Denny: "You're right! You'd have to change the details of the story! That vat was intended as a signal that the Gifted One is in that location! Gunner's suicide is a clue to our whereabouts!"

Candi: "What???"

Denny: "Tidy yourself up in the shower. I'll go put out what's left of those flames! We have to start working together more...or we're both dead!"

Candi: "And if you cannot completely remove the evidence?"

Denny knew it was the last thing she wanted to hear, unless it came with a marriage proposal, but he let it out anyway...

Denny: (sighing) "Then...I'm afraid you'll...have to move in with me." *

Candi was glad to be in that shower...a brief period of time to escape the insanity of the outside world! Her hair was thankfully only mildly singed, something which could be prepared. And while her skin hurt a lot under the water at first, the burns quickly healed.

Would marrying Denny help her to win the security she sought? His plans were clear: after she graduated, they would run away together to another state; and away forever from the madness and bloodshed!

Candi was still horrified by the nightmare, but was convinced now that she had to move on with her life. She could always choose another town to fulfill her destiny, couldn't she? She could also find work in another town. Why this one?

Denny: "You need to graduate...that's for certain."

Candi: "And then...where to?"

Denny: "I don't know. Any place but this God-forsaken town! Any place where they can't find us!"

Candi: "We could go anywhere, I suppose. I don't suspect with your job that we could fairly be traveling like Miriam plans to. But as long as we're both safe and happy. But I would like some reassurance of something..."

Denny: "You want to marry me first? But of course! Silly me, I forgot in all my running scared..."

Candi felt flattered by his words, but she knew to expect it. As the times passed, they both knew things were headed in that direction. But how could they have become so mild-mannered about it?

Candi felt for certain that she had to do something to put the charm back into the moment, in spite the fact that they both knew it was coming.

Candi: "Hun!"

Denny: "Yes?"

Candi: "I'll be right back! I've gotta get something!"

As she left, he had no idea what she was up to, though he suspected it was something to impress him with. Rejected by his family and barely avoiding being an outlaw, Denny had much to atone for in life.

He also knew that unless he and Candi kept running, the Meethlites would eventually catch up. He loved her, but he was afraid of letting her fulfill her destiny. He wanted to have a normal life; and realized that his past activities would make it extremely difficult for either him or Candi to enjoy such.

* The idea of cohabiting offends Candi's morals.
Original Poster
#39 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 8:32 PM
Default Chapter 17, Part 3

Before too long, there she stood, staring at him. He wasn't sure what had changed, except that the smile on her face would suggested that their fear and dread from earlier had suddenly turned to a soft, warm happiness.

Denny: "I...don't get it!"

Candi: (still smiling) "Sit in that chair...and I'll tell you!"

He couldn't understand the sudden change in mood, but he knew that Candi rarely kept anything a secret from him for long.

Denny: "So...what is it this time? A centi-tickling...again?"

Candi: "Not quite...Romeo! Feel under the table! You won't surprise me, but you can still make my night!"

He wasn't scared of commitment, but he was alarmed by being put on the spot. Nevertheless, he knew the moment was bound to happen. This was the woman he had always wanted! And as the velvet of that ring case brushed against his hand under the table, he knew that this was to be an extra-special moment in his life!

Candi: "This is a replica of the ring my father Stan got for my mother Shalia...cut the same way and everything! I've kept this in my private jewelry collection for a long time, along with the male counterpart, so that I could always remember the made-perfect love that made me possible! Now, I want to wear it...for you!"

Denny: "Quite true then. And I will do the honors! But I will warn you, my bride-to-be...you are a Centhuen Prototype! I am a former supplier, a man of many sins! We already saw our clothes get roasted after trying to cover up the remains of someone trying to kill us! If anything happens to me, I want you to promise me that, like Donte before me...you will move on!"

The reality of the message was almost too much, but Candi knew that she had to face it. Her life; his life; were both uncertain. And they could easily both die!

Candi: "If you were to die, as I have lost so much already, I should be honored to go with you! But if not...like with Donte before me...you have my word! I will not let that my sister Erin may have died in vain! That Donte did not die in vain either...I shall give my best to love you as I loved him!"

There stood the box, right in front of Candi. It was not like she had never seen such the box before; but it was also now more meaningful. What was once just a rock in her collection now symbolized everything she had hoped for: a new life!

She had failed to get a new life by way of hiding under the name of Stevens. She had failed to get a new life by every other method. She had lost the job and was certain to quit the pom squad.

But finally, finally...could this be what she had sought? Everything short of seeing the day when her crimefighting antics would pay off? She knew that the road ahead was plagued with more responsibilities, and that what she had fantasized about earlier was not quite accessible to her.

But she was confident that now...she could at last be with hope that her long-awaited new life was not far away.

That evening, though she felt it wrong, she was convinced that she simply had to peek at her prize resting on the sofa: her new fiancé! How peacefully he slept on the couch!

Before heading back to bed herself, she relished the moment observing him there, and thought giddy thoughts about them being able to, at long last, share a bedroom without awkward feelings.
Original Poster
#40 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 8:47 PM
Default Chapter 18: "Have Means, Will Elope"
Chapter 18: "Have Means, Will Elope"

Courtesy of Wilbur Brocklyn's kindness and understanding, he agreed to help Denny and Candi do the one last thing they intended to do before Candi would move in with Denny: get married.

They knew that with the Meethlites everywhere, and suspicion mounting given the evidence that Gunner used the suicide vat so close to Candi's home, they didn't have much time.

They also knew that if Candi had honored the wishes of her family and friends back in Gerosha - namely, inviting them - it'd be a death trap! The ceremony was performed with only Wilbur and God as witnesses, an elopement that Candi was more than sufficient to settle for.

It wouldn't be the absolute happiest day of her life; but it was clearly the happiest so far. Even with the dangers all around them, at least the new Levens family members had each other.

It mattered not to Candi that they had to move everything indoors on account of rain...she could not have been happier...unless of course...Donte had been there to celebrate with her.

Denny: "So...how are we...Mrs. Levens?"

Candi: "Never better, Romeo!"

Denny: "In that case...should we start by planning where we'll move to when you graduate, or by planning...."

Candi: "Don't get so technical, Denny, it's our wedding night! Come here, you rascal!"

Denny: Don't mind if I do. But answer the question as to which house we keep...my place or yours?

Candi: "Silly! I'm all yours now...so...your place."

Not long after uttering those words, the two of them embraced for a kiss. They drifted off from clear thought to the surreal soon after, reciting the motions as instinct compelled them.

They cared not about whether they were doing anything correctly. To their best knowledge, they now had all their lives to learn from each other...and no comparisons to others to hurt each other's pride with. Not even Donte's kisses could top what Candi now possessed.

Even as the two souls enjoyed their blessed union, Candi's heart began to fill with doubt. She sensed that somehow, she had made the wrong choice, and was making many wrong choices. But she brushed it off.

All her cares seemed to slip away as the scenery grew increasingly blurry with each kiss. She would come to regret this night; not only because she did not choose Donte, but also because of what it would lead to.

Yet, in spite these logical consequences; she at least rested with comfort in Denny's arms at the notion that finally, she could, without shame, cross that bridge that her sisters had done so long before her.
Original Poster
#41 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 7:38 PM
Default Chapter 19: "The Wages of Fertility"

A month had passed. Candi was now able to accept that she had moved on with her life, though she still could not shake off the guilt that somehow, she had not done Donte's memory justice.

Was she ready to live as Denny's wife? She hadn't given herself much choice. She knew how, even at the expense of their intimacy, he refused to entangle himself too much in her affairs. She feared them acting too much like they were still single, but was not willing to change anything. She enjoyed the freedom for what it was worth. Nevertheless, it would take an extreme change in him before she'd convince herself to leave him. She had given her word, and that word had to count for something.

Her second year at Viron University had begun, and she was wondering how her grades would hold up alongside her night prowling as the city's centipede protector.

Denny was nothing but wonderful to her, but his past life enemies were criminals. And there were some among them who wished to frame him for crimes he didn't commit.

Laurie Pegol, Candi's best friend from forensics class, was among those who were on to the problems. However she was also very preoccupied with her own life's pursuits, and had to confess that she could not be there for Candi nearly as often as she desired.

Laurie: "Candi! Where've you been?"

Candi: "Uh...what do you mean?"

She was not certain how not to reveal too much.

Kathy: "Hey, Candi...Stella and I were off to see that new Lobsters of Atlantis movie, you wanna join?"

Candi: "Er...sounds tempting, but not today. Laurie and I have some studying to do later."

Stella: "Oh. That's cool."

Kathy: "We'll tell you how it went!"

Candi: "Sure. I'll...maybe run into you in English class."

Kathy: "Will do!"

All four girls went down the stairs, with Kathy and Stella leaving the store. Laurie could tell that Candi was unusually distant.

Laurie: "I know you tend to avoid everyone; but not this much! Is something wrong?"

Candi: "I'd...rather hear what you have to tell me."

Laurie: "Candi...about...Kelsea Linney..."

Candi: "Oh....that bitch? I remember her! She tried to sabotage Denny! He had to find a new barber because of her! And she had the nerve to approach me and tell me that I was in danger with him! I..."

Laurie: "I know what you mean! involving the police, when he did nothing wrong! Shameless! I think the police are not talking to her about her impropriety because they are in on something more..."

Candi: "What?"

Laurie: "Did Denny lose a debit card?"

Candi: "Yes!"

Laurie: "I've traced several stories together. Many claim they saw her walk away cursing at an ATM when a debit card didn't work! I think she's stolen his card, and is trying to paint him as a stalker because he's been trying to get the card back from her!"

Candi: "Figures! And of course, the police, from what I've concluded, have some sort of deal going with the Meethlites! It's going to be hard to prove her guilt and his innocence with Arfaas usurping the judiciary!"

Candi: "Denny is not a bad man! He just has a lot of enemies! What I wish I knew is why does everyone seem to cast me ugly looks for defending him?"

Laurie: "I don't! But I'm a slower judge. They're wondering why you defend him so much, I think. Any lesser woman than you wouldn't bother against these odds!"

Candi: "Wouldn't bother? It's just the right thing to do! To be interested in what's right!"

Laurie: "Indeed. It's also the Christian thing to do, and I know how serious you are about your faith! But you're a rarity! Most girls your age are so selfish and backstabbing, your attitude would make no sense to them!"

Candi: "I'll admit...I do have other reasons to support him."

Trying to keep her optimistic face, Laurie repressed her urge to show what her words were already thinking...why Candi's sudden shift from righteous rage to shameful and shy?

Laurie: "Oh no...you're not!"

Candi: "Not what?"

Laurie: "Candi...are you compromised?"

Candi: "Compromised? Now what exactly do you mean by that?"

Laurie: "You're sleeping with him, aren't you!?"

Candi realized something...her marriage would do no good if she kept hiding it from everyone! Even so...should she really be flaunting her secret wedding where the Meethlites could hear the details?

Candi: "Laurie, you're gonna think I'm a total fool..."

Laurie: "You are, aren't you?"

Candi: "I...married him...last month! We wanted to keep it a secret, because I didn't want my sister's killers to find out!"

Laurie, as Candi predicted, was in complete shock, but tried to keep her posture.

Laurie: "No! You are a fool! But you're my favorite one! I know Denny needs insiders to protect him, but...I think you may have gone just a little too far!"

Candi: "Since Donte's death, I've needed love in my life too! I'm not leaving Denny, if that's what you're suggesting."

Laurie: "Oh, don't worry. I'm not suggesting anything...yet."

Candi was more than angry enough over Kelsea Linney's antics; but the attempt on Denny's life by Gunner, the death of Erin by Gunner and Skellig, and the fact that the police seemed ever less and less interested in justice was beyond frustrating.

They hadn't yet suspected her of being the centipede prowler in the evening, but how long before they did? Still, something else was wrong, and Candi could feel it...

Laurie: "Something else is eating you, I can tell. What? I've never seen you this distressed before."

Candi: "I've...been unusually unable to handle stress. I've felt more on a roller coaster this week than I have in ages. I..."

Laurie: "Feel bad? We all feel guilty about things."

Candi: "No, nothing like that! It's..."

Candi: "I feel...weak...sick! I never get sick!"

Laurie: "Are you eating normal?"

Candi: "I...actually have been eating more...but I feel like I've lost weight!"

Laurie: "Hmm. Enough beating around the bush! Are you pregnant?"

Candi could barely stomach it! The word hit her like nothing she'd ever faced before, not even Jeff the Invisible!

Pregnant? Her? Now? This would force her to have to change all her plans...or at least to decide on a strategy! But she wanted to fight crime in secret some more! Settling down to motherhood? It was too soon!

Candi: "I...don't really know!"

Laurie: "Get yourself a test, girl! You're a great sidekick, Candi, and I hope to have you back. But I don't doubt that you'll also make a wonderful mother too."
Original Poster
#42 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 10:15 PM
Default Chapter 19, Part 2

Candi: "Maybe...but not everyone will think so! After all...I don't like to be a grouch like a lot of women are! I'm afraid I'd be too carefree with my children."

Laurie: "And that might come in handy. We have too many grouchy parents in the world, most of them because they don't deserve to be able to have children; and they know it! Get yourself checked out; you'll do fine!"

Julio: "Hey...aren't you that Denny Levens' lawyer whore?"

Candi: "What? Who do you think you are, sir? I'm not his lawyer; and I don't think he'd appreciate you treating his wife that way!"

Laurie braced herself for whatever happened next.

Julio: "Wife?"

Candi: "He does have the right to marry, does he not?"

Julio: "You? Hah! You're too good for him! Ditch that sucka!"

Candi: "That's not your call!"

Julio: "Denny's a dead duck, Missy! Just as soon as the chips are in place. It'd be a shame for you to go down with him!"

Candi didn't quite understand this threat; but Laurie's talk of Arfaas influencing the police was a clue. She wanted to say something, but figured it best if she and Laurie kept walking. This Gestapo mentality in Julio brought with it the invitation of the idea that anything the girls said beyond this point would only get them both in jail.

After Julio the officer left, the two decided take a shortcut between two homes where Viron gave way to Dirbine proper. But just as the two of them were ready to part ways, the phantom scream returned to Candi's ear! Something really evil was about to happen...

Before either girl could react, they were quickly blown away by the blast that befell them! A van had just crashed into the side of the house on their right, immediately exploding!

Laurie mustered her strength, getting up to observe her surroundings. But where was Candi? Everything around her was burning! The smell of oil and parts filled the already suspenseful atmosphere!

Amidst the blaze in front of her, Laurie saw what remained of the back end of the van sticking out of the side of the house. What had prompted this? The smell was very strong to her, consisting of a drug of some sort...but what? She remembered...Donald Quindely was a family man and a drug runner on the side! Was this his blue van? Hopefully, he didn't have his entire family in that van!

Battling her way past the blaze with the heat intensifying, Laurie approached as close as the scene would let her. There were children in the back, and they were burning to death as they panicked!

Laurie: "No!!!"

Part of Candi's jacket was included in the blaze! Had Laurie's friend, possibly pregnant, just gone up in smoke with the others?

Candi immediately left behind the old scene, hoping that Laurie wouldn't question her whereabouts. She immediately pulled out her mask and took off all but her emergency brown shirt underneath. Her prowl instincts were half-working and half-not, but just enough that she was able to get a lock on a car that was driving maniacally through the city.

The van had wiped out because the car had knocked it off the road. But what was the cause of the driver's haste?

Jumping on the roof of a house, Candi quickly assessed the direction and speed of the car. Would she be able to catch up with the driver?

Candi did her best to keep up, jumping rooftop after rooftop, but this guy was not giving up!

Candi: "Ouch!"

Herman Gressel was, to say the least, one of the best carjackers in town. But he had bitten off more than he could chew.

Herman: "Great! I just took out one of the biggest drug-runners in town, the boss is giving me half an hour to provide him a ride, and I've got some plant-like abomination following me! What else could go wrong?"

As he looked in the rear-view mirror, he gazed upon what he felt was unmistakably a girl flying through the air and preparing to land on the roof of his car!

Herman: "What the devil???"

Candi wasted no time getting out in front of the driver and ejecting her centilegs for grip!

Herman: "Holy cribs! Got off my windshield you....!!!"

Candi: "Stop this car!"

How could Herman match a large centipede trying to smash in his windshield and a plant-like thing chasing him through the ground?

Herman: "Not this time!!!"

He swerved the car around in what Candi believed was the most dramatic 225-degree spin ever! Desperately she tried to hold on to the sides of the car, maintaining her balance as she made for another offensive!

Herman: "Screw this! Goodbye, freak!!!"

Herman, drove the car another block or so, and then to Candi's dismay, he bailed out of the car at the last minute and tumbled! She jumped just in time to save herself, the car below smashing violently into the building she was standing on top of! Whoever this carjacker was, his desperation was now obvious.
Original Poster
#43 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 10:55 PM
Default Chapter 19, Part 3

Herman: "Back away from me, you...thing!!! You have no idea what's going on!!!"

Candi: "No idea, huh? You killed a man, that's what's going on!"

Herman: "He was in my way! Look...let me get outta here, or else..."

Herman: "No...Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!"

A huge birch tree sprouted up from the ground, consuming Herman instantly! How would Candi explain this?

Herman: (gasping for air) "I...don't wanna die!!!"

His head fell. He had been eaten alive by the tree! A murderer, yes; and did deserve death...but not like this!

The most horrid weed popped out of that bloom that Candi had ever seen! What was that???

The creature then assumed a more recognizable shape: Botan!!!!

Botan: "That was my car!!!"

Candi: "Jeral!!!"

Botan: "Promise me one thing, Candi! That man has ruined my last possession! My last hope of being normal, I fear!

I intend to leave town until I figure out what I need to mix the formula with to free myself! Now, stay out of my way! I don't want to kill you like I did him!"

What was suddenly coming over Candi? She felt dizzy...even cold!!! Her super strength was suddenly gone! As Botan wrapped her in his vines, she couldn't help but cramp up in her helplessness!

Botan: "I haven't mastered poison plants yet, but I'd rather not have to! You're not so tough this time!"

Candi: "Jeral, this is insane! Snap back to your senses! I have a family now!"

Botan: "You should've thought of that before following me!"

Her centilegs would not eject!

Candi: "Go then! Find your freedom, but stop this madness! Jeral...I remember you as you were before...you don't have to be the villain!"

What was this? Someone still had faith in him? Jeral was beginning to think this was impossible. No matter. He had to make certain that she kept her word! Otherwise, who was to say that the rogue Phaelites responsible for his predicament wouldn't exploit Candi as a way to track him down?

Tearing off her mask, Botan wasted no time ripping it to pieces! He let her go, but not very gently.

Candi: "Go, hurry! Before the police find you! I can't make excuses for you...my husband is in enough trouble!"

Even the pain of being wrapped in the vines was lasting longer than it normally would have!

Botan paused. Why was she acting like this? He felt a soft spot for her, knowing that she had only ever tried to help him. But he wasn't about to let his tough exterior fade completely!

Botan: "Hmmm...very well then! You get out of here yourself! And don't tell them where to find me! We'll meet again...when one of us has answers!"

Candi: "Agreed. Someday, Jeral. Someday...we'll shut down both the Phaelites and the Meethlites! Someday, both will have to answer for the crimes of creating us! For now...we both need to be under the radar. Be careful out there!"

In spite their anger, their tendency towards action; the two of them felt a bond that kept them from killing each other. They shared the common pain of being outcasts. Not outcasts by direct divine revelation; but because of the malicious crimes against nature committed by their green and graphite-skinned foes.

Jeral: "Be...careful? I once had a wife, who spoke those words to me. That was before her heart turned black; and we both turned to other lovers that weren't meant to last. One day...I'll have another wife; and we won't make the same mistakes!"

Jeral had been embittered himself against the world. He was one of few Plant-Men left. Others died rapidly, but he couldn't seem to die. He couldn't permanently change back either, because of a catalyst found in the blood of one species which he did not know of. He knew it was one the Meethlites were manufacturing, but nothing else.

Even so, Candi's voice was like that of his wife before she turned against him. He couldn't bring himself to betray his better memories!

Candi: "We can't keep resolving our every single problem by killing someone, Jeral! I...have already seen what happens when that is the case."

Botan: "You can at least pretend to be normal! But I you've made your point. If I weren't such a freak...I'd seriously get some help right now! You're right...I need it. I will remember you for this!"

That quickly, Botan had fled. The tree that consumed Herman was now itself a dead piece of wood, a remnant eating up the road.

Candi quickly turned her shirt inside-out before trudging her way to the nearest pharmacy. She didn't want anyone seeing the unmasked version of her with a big centipede on her chest!

Worry was beginning to set in: a pregnancy could ruin everything! On the other hand, it could prove to be the most exciting day of her life! Was Denny ready for the responsibility? Was she? She knew there was only one day to discover if they even had reason to fear at all!

With nobody looking, she tried to fire her centilegs from out of her arm...nothing! Nothing from her legs either! Force them out was painful! The strength necessary to use her centilegs for battle - gone! She could feel that she was still physically very healthy...but her superhuman side was now fully suppressed!

What had she done to herself? Was this what Laurie suggested? She knew that she'd technically not done anything wrong, but what if it were merely irresponsible for her to time this? The city was in need of her more than ever before, and she couldn't even fire a centileg!
Original Poster
#44 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 11:05 PM
Default Chapter 19, Part 4

The pharmacy was also not very busy, just as most of the section of town where Viron gave way to Dirbine was usually not very busy. It was ironic, it seemed, that the junction of the two towns was the least active place in those towns. But alas, there was the pharmacy. The Camelorem banner was clearly on the wall, next to an old Lord of the Rings poster.

Nervously, she unpacked the kit. She knew she couldn't just rejoice, as a normal married woman would! She had to give up Emeraldon himself for this! She had to go into hiding!

She married in spite her doubt; had killed a man, and witnessed countless death along the way. She felt cowardly about herself, knowing she had a lot of reasons to be ashamed of herself. And now...a baby? True, this was her husband's...but was her heart in the right place?

The new model's flashing blue lights began to stay on continuously.

Candi: (moping) "No! Not now! Please! Not so soon!"

Whether she was ready for it or not, she would have to get used to the idea of parenting. She desperately attempted to block her insecurities from her mind. After all, she had money! She had a husband! What was she afraid of?

On the other hand, she knew all too well that these things could evaporate. All the Meethlites had to do was deduce her identity and crack the right safes, and her wealth would be gone! All they had to do was find Denny before she did!

She realized in this moment...she had made a mistake! Not as bad as those made by Miriam or Marina, but certain one for which she had reason to feel bad. She would need divine forgiveness for those she was about to endanger!

Her sisters had not been blessed with the calling of being Centhuen Prototypes; she had! They had let down their family. She had let down not only her family, but possibly all humanity!

Candi: (with grief, sarcasm, and tears) "Terrific!"
Original Poster
#45 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 12:54 AM
Default Chapter 20: "Confessions"

Why? Candi just didn't know what to do about the flood of emotions garnering over her. She had always been told to plan her future very carefully. But had she planned it well enough?

Why did she feel as she was going to Denny's house like she was telling a complete stranger the news? Inside her heart, the doubts returned. But if she found Donte, how could she bear to tell him?

She had married a lesser man, and was now the mother of his child! On the other hand, thousands of women have had far worse confessions to make to men who were not their husbands.

Candi: "Denny? You home yet?"

The entry room was as silent as it had been, with only the clock on the wall making any sort of noise.

Not in the living room either! She feared he was somewhere in the basement then - his lab! What was he up to this time?

As she rushed down the stairs, her fear and worry accelerated within her! He was alive! But for how long?

Candi: "Denny! Denny, wake up!"

Groggy but responsive, he arose, quickly embracing the woman who had lost so much for his sake.

Denny: "Candi! Dear, you are a pleasant sight! I'm ruined!"

Candi: "We both are."

Denny: "I should've told you sooner! I should've known all along it was that Kelsea Linney! She's taken everything! The Meethlites will be on to us before long!"

Candi: "What do you mean?"

Denny: "We...have to move! I know you want to graduate and all, but we have to find another university!"

Candi: "But...the contract with the house! We can't leave this place for another two years!"

Denny: "That's assuming we have another two years! Candi...I have the formula for lycanthropy! That's what the Meethlites want! I can't maintain forever this illusion that we're just an ordinary couple!"

Candi: "You're right! Laurie knows we're married! We must eventually owe up to who we are, painful as that may be."

Denny: "Everything's been complication, tension, anger, us against the world lately. But why?"

Candi: "Perhaps we've celebrated a little too much in spite of thunder?"

Denny: "I...don't understand."

Was her deficiency that obvious to him? She knew this was the moment of truth...how could she bear him the news?

Denny: "You look like you're coming down with something!"

Candi: "My powers...they failed today!"

Denny: "That's it? I'm sure there's an explanation...bezeetol trap?"

Candi: "No!"

Denny: "Okay...I'm a terrible guesser! What's eating you?"

Denny: "I admit, this Kelsea nonsense has been distracting me. I haven't been spending enough time with you and I feel like a jerk because of it. Please...you're not..."

Candi: "I'm not cheating!!!"

Denny: "Sorry! Uggh! I suck at this! Kelsea's lies have spread to the clinic, and so they fired me! What could be worse than that?

Candi: "I...I don't know why I can't just say it..."

Denny: "Candi...please! I need something to believe in..."

Candi: (tearfully) "I'm...I'm pregnant!!!!"

Candi couldn't believe herself...she finally let it out! What was so bad about it anyway?

Denny: "What???"

Candi: "I didn't expect it this soon, but I should have! We...we're going to have a baby! I know I'm technically old enough physically. I just...I don't know if I'm ready...I'm only 21!"

Candi could no longer bear to let him see her. She rushed off to their room, and the tears came out uncontrollably. Denny followed slowly, reluctantly. Should he even be near her at this point in time?

Quickly, he tore off his old clothes, jumping into something more comfortable and rushed to the side of his agonizing wife.

Denny: "I...know your fears, Candi. But God is still on our side! Don't feel like you've made a mistake. I was the bigger fool of the two of us; trust me. There is still much we do not know about parenting...but we'll learn!"

After giving him a kiss, she jumped out of the bed, quickly erupting into a tantrum!

Candi: "Erin, you and your judging eyes, get off of me!!! I've played by all the rules! Donte, I know you've forgiven me already! World, I am married, and proud of it! I am Candi Levens, and I am not a whore! I am not ashamed of this child! I will be a good mother! I will embrace my destiny!"

Denny: "Excellent! Let it out! Let it out!"

Candi: "Powers or none! We will not let the Meethlites continue to persecute us like this! We will restore sanity to this town, and avenge my family!"

Denny stood by in terror, as an image of Kimiyato floated over Candi and cursed her on its way out of her.

Candi: "And if either or both of us is crushed before then, then Arfaas will NEVER AGAIN know peaceful sleep!!!"
Original Poster
#46 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 12:56 AM
Default Chapter 20, Part 2

Denny: "Kimi! You stay away form my wife, you sick whore of Satan! Pick on me, if you have to pick on someone, wretched coward!"

Candi: "Denny, no! I'm so sorry for the way I'm acting! Kimi...is my burden to bear! We can't leave. We have to stay...and fight as soon as I am able! There's so much death and hate in this town! I already tried to run away from it when I fled Gerosha; it only followed me here!"

Denny: "You have a good heart, Candi! The Meethlites can never take that from you! They will never have my soul, or Donte's, and especially not yours, unless you let them!"

Candi: "I...I think I need to lie down. Denny...our baby could pick up these horrible traits from me."

Denny: "Nonsense! After being conceived?"

Candi: "They can always learn!"

Denny: "Okay. But I'm confident it'll be my fault if the child is evil."

Candi: "This...calm. Denny...for once, neither of us is living a lie. I feel like I have been living one for too long! It was becoming too much!"

Denny: "I should've done more to protect you! I'm as scared as you...I...don't know the first thing about being a father! But I promise you...this is one responsibility I will not dodge!"

Candi's heart itched for adventure...to fulfill her destiny! She knew she would never be content with merely trips to the gym. She didn't want to lose Denny, but she regretted that they had been so carefree with their marriage.

The city was falling apart, and Candi feared that by not planning her child smarter, she had sentenced the city of Dirbine to death!

Her sister Marina had a sense of violated calling with her pregnancy, but it was nothing like the sense of violated calling that Candi felt.

On the other hand, what if this was part of her training? As that question lingered in her confused, troubled heart, it brought her comfort, the chance to be more open about just what the path of her life was supposed to be.

Why should she care so much about her human foes, if she still had the divine on her side? As it were, some of her human foes were now falling on hard times. Could they be saved?

Candi decided to lay aside the crimefighter side of her life. After all, if she had to take it up again, God would see to that, right?

How perverse was she to worry so much? She had everything, and no rightful reason to regret her child! Women who waited, as she had, rejoiced over their children! She was neither the reckless Miriam the Sniperbadger nor was she Marina the Harlot. She had done what her sisters lacked the morals to.

Was her false shame just a way for her to cope with her petty insecurities? As Denny slept nearby, she clasped his hand before drifting away herself.

She began to wonder: at this point, what right had she to deny others the chance to make her happy? Didn't she always want to be happy? She would not let what little happiness was owed to her slip past her...not this time!
Original Poster
#47 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 2:03 AM
Default Chapter 21: "Have Yourself a Deadly Little Christmas"

The months went by from that morning, December had come. Candi still couldn't shake the depression completely, but she was able to collect herself now. She noticed that Kimi's signal on her was getting significantly weaker, even when she didn't pray.

Nevertheless, she wanted to be close to God as much as possible. The police stopped harassing her and Denny, and she began to wonder why they were suddenly so scarce, as well as why they hadn't heard anything more about Kelsea Linney.

Nolle and Pete were not present at the church that particular Christmas Evening, and Wilbur made sure that Candi knew it was safe to come to church. Denny, a Levens at heart, followed her cautiously in.

The Christmas lights did little for Candi, and the couple really didn't have anything much to buy for Christmas. With each other at hand and the baby a few months away yet, what was there to shop for?

Denny's family, with the exception of his sister Jessie, was less than approving of the marriage. Miriam and Marina were in hiding, and Candi's brothers showed little delight in her wedded bliss either. Cards they had sent were returned unopened.

Nolle was in poor health, and Pete was with family elsewhere. Because of this, Wilbur decided not to attack them directly for scaring Candi away from church for so long. At the same time, he knew the extent to which Candi had been harmed; and was eager to do something to make it up to her.

Wilbur: "Good evening, everyone!"

Congregation: "Good evening!"

Wilbur: "I see we have a much larger tree this year than we can manage, courtesy of our good friend Pete!"

The congregation laughed, but the mood was dry soon after. Where were the cliché Christmas messages?

Wilbur: "I know what you're probably all thinking about tonight's sermon. Well, scrap what you were thinking! Tonight, we're going to leave you with something so profound, it will hit a little too close to home for some of you!"

Callista, a travelling Phaelite who knew she wasn't supposed to be seen in public, decided against conventional wisdom to attend that evening. She feared the attention would be drawn to her, but instead, she felt almost ignored.

She had introduced herself as Callista Carmine, hiding the fact that she was in fact the half-Phaelite Callista Cormier, Jeral’s true birth mother. Like Ploribus, she had been delaying her aging process, though not to the same extreme.

Meadow was there, though she tried not to let Candi see her. The fun and games of her youth were quickly fading away, and she was beginning to feel that her wild and rebellious life was making her age faster, just as Callista's potion was making her age slower.

She was not with her husband, but went alone. She feared where he might be that evening, as he was not at home where she wished. But she wished to enjoy a sermon from the already-legendary Wilbur before she went searching for her missing husband.

Another loner was Victoria Keldine, fearful that the congregation would figure out that she was carrying the child of Roberto Jimerez. She had her fears, but no proof, that the officer behind her by the door was there for something far more sinister than just to hear a good sermon on Christmas Eve.

Wilbur: "Ladies and Gentlemen...what was it like for Mary?"

Victoria, Callista, and Candi all clenched their fists nervously, expecting they would all feel something prod at their consciences.

Wilbur: "We are told only that she was fully compliant, unlike Zechariah! She didn't even have to have her voice stolen! That must have required more faith than most of us could even dream of having!

But seriously, what was it like? As we speculate, we must wonder..."

Candi sat relaxed. For once, she eagerly awaited what Wilbur had to say, no matter how she sounded in contrast.

Wilbur: "You see...she had her moments, her thoughts would drift, she'd fret over small things; a typical woman of her time! She played by all the rules on the outside.

That's quite a feat, given most teens in this town in our time have forgotten there ever were such things as rules!"

Sitting separately from Candi so he could converse with Alvin, a child who looked up to him, Denny grinned and nodded at Wilbur's suggestion, thinking to himself: "And by the time they're adults, they no longer care!"

Wilbur: "The battle for Mary was in the heart, where we're only left to imagine what must have gone on! Clearly, on the outside, she played by all the rules!"

Wilbur: "Yet...I'm not so sure she was quite so wholesome on the inside. Like all of us today, the stresses and cares of the world tend to cause us to so easily lose our way!

We are not told if she ever objected to the assignment of Joseph as her husband, only that the arrangement was made, and she ultimately complied.

I would suspect that he was not her first choice; but she was meant for greater things than the human notion of romantic perfection...she just didn't know it yet!"

Candi was fearful that Wilbur was hitting too close to home! While she loved Denny, they were not always romantic perfection. Nor was Denny her first choice!

She now felt guilty. Even though she'd waited, Candi was angry inside...why did Donte have to be so stubborn!? If she HAD to be such a young mother, and have such a bad reputation, she wished she could at least have deserved it! If she had to have a child, she wanted it to be Donte's! But would Emeraldon's legacy ever be carried on? Had he so quickly doomed himself in this sense...all to protect her?

On the other hand, what if he wasn't meant for children? What if there were something evil in his genes he didn't wish to pass on? What if there were something evil in hers? What if the whole point is that she wasn't meant for romantic perfection, but for what she now couldn't do?

For Vicki, the pressure was off...she hadn't played by the rules! Or was it really off?

Wilbur: "Thankfully, none of us have to worry about carrying the Son of God in our bellies! Though...letting him influence our gut feelings may at times feel just as taxing! But we can only wonder...what was it like when Joseph threatened to leave her?"

Wilbur: "She'd done everything by the books...on the outside at least! Yet, we are not told where her mind may have been, only about what she decided to do about it!

And even then, that decision was not made solely by her own power! The major decision was made for her...many of the great decisions were made for her, and only with the Spirit's help, could1 she have possibly accepted the outrageous decisions that were made for her!

Anyone else would have refused what she clearly understood to be her vocation! And who among us could have blamed them?"

Wilbur: "Can't you hear the voices of today's young mothers? 'Yeah right!' they shout with utter sarcasm, and then they turn around and call an exorcist!

Then, they probably have an abortion! And most of them are not even smart about that, holding off until they've significantly increased their own fatality rate! Clearly, Christ came into our world at just the right time in history. Our time would have been far too late!"

Wilbur: "And yet...even in our so-called 'tolerant' society, how easily we will make each other feel rotten for things we ourselves would just as easily have done if we could've gotten away with it!

I'm sure there were cries for Mary's death, women who spoke nasty things about her behind her back! Playing by the rules didn't make her life any easier. She was accused, probably abused, and most of the time, probably felt isolated...or worse...ashamed! The synagogue probably didn't welcome her!"

Callista already felt better. She was not clean; but was quite welcome, and nobody even suspected that she was, in fact, partly responsible for the creation of Botan!

Wilbur: "Yet! When man would have killed his own means to salvation because of his prejudice against one woman; God persisted to forgive them their arrogance, and through this woman, brought about man's Savior anyway!"

This was already leaving Candi confused...did this somehow relate to her situation as well? She knew her child wasn't any closer to being god-like than herself, but what about this whole thing of calling? Just what did God want from her anyway?

Wilbur: "Ladies and Gentlemen, I regret to inform you that, in our quest to remain pious, we have had those in our number go too far.

Instead of kindhearted inquiry, gentle admonishment, and sparing discipline within us; they have gone so far as to trade those traits in for rushed judgment, singled-out wrath, suspect persecution, bullying, and intimidation.

This is unacceptable; for we depend on this college town full of lost souls! We are here to steer them out of the muck and mire of that wretched university in our backyard, not scare them back into it!"

Candi was now convinced that he was drawing largely off of her experiences, but she didn't mind the vindication. She only hoped nobody started looking at her.

Wilbur: "So tonight, we must look at the options! Men sought out Truth Incarnate; but they also wanted to kill his mother! So, that is where we must ask God to help us make the right decision: would we kill Mary, or seek out the truth?"

Wilbur: "Would any of you kill Mary? Any one of you here, who has ever condemned and chased away a college girl, from activities here, without proof of the allegations brought against her, is guilty of something almost as despicable!

Any of you who has harvested evil opinions about another, even based solely on doubt that individual would have ever married as they walk in here with their children, is like the Jews with their throwing stones in-hand, foaming at the mouth for their chance to throw said stones at a woman on mere suspicion of adultery!"

Candi tried hard not to let her vindictive glee over the implicit criticism of Nolle show, as she knew it was just as out-of-place.
Original Poster
#48 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 3:09 AM
Default Chapter 21, Part 2

Wilbur: "I know putting anyone on the spotlight like this is awkward and usually avoided, but I have to tell you all here tonight, I know about one family, that I'm proud to have here! The Levenses. They have had a very strange background, with lots of ups and downs."

Candi was nervous, but trusted Wilbur not to give away too many details.

Wilbur: "Denny's family was as dead-set against faith as can be; with half his family claiming to be proudly atheist ever since Denny's great-great-great-grandfather was turned off by the outcome of the Scopes Monkey Trial!

Yet, the Spirit saw no reason why this legacy had to stand in the way of Denny joining us!"

Wilbur: "And perhaps even more spectacular...his wife! You all know her as Candi Stevens..but she's a Levens! They hid their marriage until now, trusting no one with the truth as she lived with much fear.

Candi has had several of her family members murdered by unbelievably ruthless criminals, many of whom have never seen justice! Many here assumed the worst about Candi; and I'm sure you've all begun to notice her pregnancy by now."

Wilbur: "She was banned unjustly from being a Sunday School teacher; because nobody believed in her. I regret, I did not intervene sooner on her behalf! We almost lost this Levens family from our greater family, because we did not act soon enough to come to their defense in time of need. We were complacent in letting pre-judgers and accusers have free access to them!

And that is why I ask all of you again, tonight...the next time you see someone in need...would you kill Mary?

Would you seek out the truth? Some of you will forget, and will kill Mary in your hearts. But that is a small matter. Women are killed all the time. Why does it matter then?

Just remember: if the Jews had killed Mary; whom would they also have killed, before he could have done the job he was meant for? If you decide to kill Mary; remember Whom you are also killing!"

Wilbur: "What you do to the least of these; we are warned...we do to Him as well! We set up cute decorations every year, and fight for the right to do so legally, of a baby in a glorified towel being held by a possibly-oppressed mother with a man holding a cane nearby that. As far as we can tell, doesn't have much to say!

Yet, we dress up our little children to give us year after year of their nauseating cuteness as we applaud them for singing off-key!"

Wilbur: "But are we so willing to defend the truth of why we need that baby so much?

Nostalgia fades, cuteness loses its valor. I'm an old man! I know how those adorable things which can do no wrong on Christmas morph into ignored and regretted planning failures, just as soon as their hormones begin to rob them of that cuteness!

Let us then; be thankful for the infant in the glorified dish towel, who would grow into a despised wanderer and die; to save the Lilliputian population that includes each one of us!"

Wilbur: "And while we prepare for the children to get here from St. Bart's Choir Ensemble, prayerfully not to focus on just how cute the old ladies think they are but on their message, I would be honored if Candi Levens would stand up and perform for us this evening!"

Candi had tried a number of things; but had always traditionally left the solo singing to Marina! She was honored that Wilbur was able to arrange for her to sing with minimal incident; but would the congregation accept her chosen song?

Candi: "Thanks, everyone! The song I will be performing tonight was written long before I was born, but is fairly under the radar of most. It was performed in 1991 by a band named GLAD for a Christmas CD, and has remained one of my all-time favorites...it's called, 'One Quiet Moment...' "

Almost instantly, the congregation began to melt away their past feelings about her. She prepared for her performance, but wished she could tell what was going on around her outside the building.

The whole time that Candi performed, her tears barely held back, she felt cares beginning to melt away. It was subtle, but she could feel the stresses of her life leaving her for just a moment. Even so, she worried about what life was like without her patrolling the night.

She had read that the police were looking for any and all Centhuen Prototypes that might be in the city, in the hopes to corral them all up for questioning about the increase in the number of crimes foiled by a mysterious vigilante.

She knew that this was a cover story: Arfaas and his cronies' real intentions for Centhuen Prototypes was to exterminate them, regardless whether or not they were involved in any actual incident.

The Hallison Hall had some as part of their diversity protection program, but they were reluctant to release names. Candi's worst fears about missing out on her duties were about to be realized.

Sophie: "Joanne...when are you due?"

Joanne: "I...don't know! Probably got...I'd say seven months...to worry about that! I wish I were more sorry...but...I've always wanted this!"

Sophie: "Do you know where the father is?"

Joanne: "No. I've not talked to him ever since. He probably doesn't even know!"

Grant: "So...where's the music sheets?"

Chloe: "I...I'm afraid I forgot to bring them! That's okay...we don't have to play our flutes to sing carols! How's life as a father-to-be?"

Grant: "I...don't know! But I can tell you, Sophie's excited! Don't you have anyone, Chloe?"

Chloe: "I've tried. I've destroyed every man I ever came into contact with, so I prefer to keep my distance!"

Jon: "Uh...guys...what is that up there?"

Sophie: "A clock!"

Jon: "No not that! The...HOLY!!!"

The explosion of the grenade deafened the ears of the poor carolers! What had just happened? Jon clearly didn't make it. But as Grant arose, he desperately looked around to see who else had!

A strange, beast-like figure confronted the crowds that were quickly gathering to see what the noise was! Immediately, there was an urge by that same set of crowds to flee! What was this thing that had just jumped off the top of the clock tower?

Musaran: "DIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!!!"

Grant: "SOPHIE!!!!!"

He could hardly stand it! The horror of what had just happened to his wife!

He darted away from the scene; nothing able to console him! How could he ever live with himself after witnessing such a gruesome end to his life's dream? And why were the police not already there? Just what were the police doing anyway?

Claire: "Hey...lookin' for..."

Chloe: "Course not, sicko! Didn't you hear that outside?"

Claire: "A firework?"

Chloe: "No! A flippin' grenade! Our friends are dead! There's some metallic freak here to kill us all!"

Claire: (frozen in fear) "Holy crap!!! What's that...thing?"
Original Poster
#49 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 4:13 AM
Default Chapter 21, Part 3

Musaran: "DIIIEEEEE!!!!!"

Arfaas' voice rang inside his helmet: "Remember, my pet shrew: Find any centipede...and squash it!"

Musaran: "It will DIEEEEE!!!!"

While Candi finished her song, the congregation quickly grew relaxed. If only they knew that there would be no relaxation or peace on the campus of Viron! The Hallison Hall continued to burn, the campus' pride achievement going up in smoke as Musaran's rampage continued unchecked!

He correctly deduced that the school was hiding known Centhuen Prototype students there. After he left, the fire crews quickly arrived! But while they were able to save the hall...the clock tower was lost!

The clock tower, where the campus president had first authorized the nearby hall as a safe haven for students in need of protection of their deepest secrets, received the full wrath of the killing machine known as Musaran. Only in the paper would Candi even become aware of the incident. But what could she do?

It was a tough scenario for Candi. True, the enemy didn't yet know that she was Candi "the Gifted One" Flippo-Levens - or about her powers! But...should they ever find out...there were few other CPs left in town that could take the blame for her...and most, like her, dared not let anyone know they even existed!

Candi tried to keep her composure as the lyrics began to have more relevance to her than they ever had before.

Candi: "In this one quiet moment...."

Immediately, Denny felt the significance. Candi was the future of Dirbine, not the mother of all humanity's savior. But the fact remained: she was a mother-to-be in need of someone to defend her.

He understood that he was not her first choice, but was what circumstance left her with. Yet, she was willing to choose him anyway! He would be horrible to disappoint a woman so wonderful...but could he ever possibly guarantee that he'd be able to play the role of Joseph in their 21st-century drama of a life? Was he already there?

This is the short version of this section. The unedited, extra-gory version is at the Dozerfleet Forum.
Original Poster
#50 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 1:42 AM
Default Chapter 22: "Kelsea's Last Stand"

Candi continued to exercise at the gym, always anticipating her eventual return to her old ways. Even so, she feared things would be more difficult. With many of the other Centhuen Prototypes dead, hiding her secret would be that much harder!

She tried to keep a low profile for the next several months, but the threat of the Meethlites and the corrupt officers continued to grow.

Arfaas, using a youth potion, decided to hold a meeting with Merle and a few others from the Dirbine downtown in the concession room of the Scarr Building. Business was going great...but they were still intent on one thing...Denny Levens had to die!

Candi, more so than usual, was running way late. She was enjoying the classwork catch-up opportunities that pregnancy had afforded her...but missed the action of her freshman year!

Just when she started believing her future would be a miserable one, stuck in a lab, her phantom scream...returned!!! How??? Why??? She heard the voices coming from the room, and knew that she had to make herself unseen - but still listen in!

Arfaas: "You see those two over there? Beautiful!"

Merle: "I do say so myself, Sir!"

Arfaas: "The neural backvisors keep them perfectly in suspense! They have no idea of what they're up to!"

Cherrie: "I'm concerned."

Adam: "What's there to be concerned about, Cherrie? We've got the whole thing covered!"

Arfaas: "Hear the woman out...this could be interesting!"

Cherrie: "Now, Duke!"

Arfaas: "Yes?"

Cherrie: "You've never questioned our loyalty to the cause, right?"

Arfaas: "Not seriously. Why?"

Cherrie: "Because...I fear that we're among the few faithful! We've been losing numbers and support all over the Earth!

The next wave could be a decade or so, and we're not helping the cause of the throne of Metheel at all with these constant defeats!"

Arfaas: "What's your take, Miss?"

Cherrie: "We're relying too much on corruption and not enough on conversion! That's bad! They…say...Ploribus is on his way!"

Was the anti-age formula getting weaker, or was Arfaas really just that shaken? Desperately, he tried to maintain a stoic demeanor. Inside, he was trembling!

Arfaas: "Wha...Ploribus? That...half-bred abomination? Yes! I know! The Phaelites are advancing their agenda through the National Guard! They've learned from us only too well! This could lead to civil war! And I know Ploribus would despise that!"

Adam: "We've had no luck on pinning anything on Denny Levens!"

Immediately after that, Cherrie stood up in a sudden rage!

Cherrie: "We couldn't even pin him in the case of those bums at the cafeteria! Face it! If we don't deal with Denny within the means we have; then Ploribus will zero in and find us out for certain!"

Merle: "You're right! There's nothing we can do! But Denny's gotten away with too much for too long! We'll have to play this one cool...like we usually do."

Arfaas: "Then it means what I fear it means, gentlemen!"

They all grew chilled at the certainty in Arfaas' tone. Could it really be so?

Arfaas: "Gentlemen! I know you're gonna despise how difficult this will make it for all of us...but you know that in the name of our cause, each one of you has to be willing to sacrifice yourselves!"

Others: "Agreed!!!"

Arfaas: "Then it is decided!!! We shall hit the Levens household with our slave...Musaran!!!"

With the exception of Cherrie, the others all cheered! Candi, still trying very hard not to give away her eavesdropping, could barely tolerate to hear what she was hearing! How could they? How dare they???

Arfaas: "I'm discomforted by your lack of excitement, Cherrie!"

Cherrie: "I have my reservations, sir! Remember what he did Christmas Eve? He was supposed to only kill the Centhuen Prototypes! But it didn't stop there. I have little faith his rage can be contained!"

Arfaas: "Yes! He is...a little...too perfect!"

Cherrie: "He's a terrorist! These machines here may not be much, but that Musaran is more than we had imagined! We cannot risk overusing him! What would happen if we ever lost direct control?"

A great uneasiness that fell over all of them...why had they never thought of that???

Merle: "It...it will never happen! Besides...even if it did...he'd still have a preference for us, just not absolute faithfulness!

He wouldn't choose the Phaelite saps over us, ever! He's too hardwired to hate them; even if he does lose faith in us!"

Arfaas: "In other words, he'd be a hired hand, and not a slave. A minor inconvenience, but I doubt that the damage to the AI would ever be sufficient to turn him completely against us!"

After a brief pause, Cherrie agreed to speak up:

Cherrie: "Well...in that case...goodbye, Dennis Levens!!! Still...I don't trust Musaran. He's bad publicity!"

Candi had heard enough. No more! She knew what she had to do...dart back to Denny as soon as possible! Every step ached, and she feared she'd go into labor; but the steps were worth it! Since losing Donte, Denny was all she had left...how could she afford to lose him too?

Merle: "I hear footsteps!!! We have a spy!!!"

Candi: (gasping) "Please, God! Not now! Not now!!!"

She had a hunch that the ceiling problem in the men's room was never fixed—correct! She'd use that exit as she had the day she met Denny. If tonight was the last night she saw him alive, wouldn't it only be right to repeat what happened the day she met him?
Page 2 of 4