Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 12:41 AM
Lytefoot, I <3 you! The little program is ideal. I wanted to keep a little file of all my rules and you just made it so easy!

Also, Hi! I am joining in. I never finish a legacy because I get ridiculous bored with them. This is right up my alley. I plan on trying to post pretty often. So I will be back when I create my family.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 1:11 AM
You can follow me here if you feel so inclined. http://arisrandomlegacy.blogspot.com
Field Researcher
#28 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 1:20 AM Last edited by lytefoot : 8th Jul 2010 at 1:36 AM.
Gosh! If someone's actually using it, I suppose I should keep it updated with rules changes... here's a new version with the new goal and fun added. Edited my original post to have the new version.
Alchemist
#29 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 2:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ariellajem
You can follow me here if you feel so inclined. http://arisrandomlegacy.blogspot.com

Great, I'm following your blog (as 'yangthecat'). Also following your example I've started a blog for my legacy.
Ramaswami/McDermott Random Legacy
Test Subject
#30 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 3:11 AM
Heres a few screenshots of my family so far...
Ella and Sam Winters are my first generation sims, they found they were unable to have kids of their own so they adopted instead.. 4 babies, 2 girls and 2 boys. Hannah was their first and she'll be the one carrying on their legacy.
Ella loves to cook so it was only natural for her to go into the culinary career and she's slowly making her way up the ladder, while her husband Sam is a stay at home dad who is a self employed painter. They are both family oriented and both hate the outdoors.(I'm still working on the Awesome! part).

Hannah already has her life all planned out even though she's still only a child.. she wants to get married and have 2 kids but she loves the idea of on architect for a husband, so he will be in this field and she's got her heart set on becoming a super spy in the law enforcement career.
She doesnt trust strangers though so she's happy her parents will be able to stick around to help out with the kids especially since she intends to have a perfect career.

Test Subject
#31 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 4:08 AM
Loving all the updates. It's so great to see so many people participating so quickly. I updated my blog and now I am off to bed.
Alchemist
#32 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 12:47 PM
It's great seeing what everyone is doing with this legacy.
I've updated my blog as well.I have some formatting issues with the second entry, it came out looking different than what it looked like when I previewed it. But it's not too hard to read.
For my next entry I think I'll try to format it more like yours, ariellajem, so it's easier to read.
Instructor
Original Poster
#33 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 5:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Karmel4
Hey! Thanks for the great idea! I started this challenge yesterday with a single mom, 2 children, architect career, perfect children and one party per week. I've been playing Sims for YEARS and done many challenges, but I quickly crashed and burned on this one! Single mom could not earn enough money to even buy the books for the toddlers and keep the household running. There were days she went with almost no sleep! SAD! Architect career made me want to blow up some of the houses in my neighborhood. So, here's my question. Because I did not have perfect children or one party per week do I lose the challenge or just those parts of the challenge? Is there scoring? What if I had been on level 9 and this happened (probably wouldn't by then, but just asking). Do I lose and start all over? Am I taking this way too seriously? Hahahahaha.......

Unfortunately yes, you do lose. There are some very unfortunate combinations you can get at the very beginning, and it seems that you've stumbled across one of them. By generation 9, you should have enough extra cash that, unless you get a truly awful combination(such as: single parent, 5 kids, medical career, perfect children, no strangers on lot o_o), you should be able to throw enough cash around to get out of most situations. There's a reason I tried to stack the probability for having 2-3 children instead of 4-5, since having that many children is really a lot of trouble for the challenge.

There's no scoring yet. Because it's so random, and because of the insta-loss nature of failing a parameter, it's hard to implement a scoring system. Something based on how many children you have(like many challenges contain) wouldn't really work for this challenge, due to how the number of children you have is determined randomly. I suppose a simple method of scoring would be how many generations you survive before you lose, but I'm open to suggestions on other possible methods.

Quote: Originally posted by lytefoot
So, I've been thinking about this (while my sims are getting themselves established... though I'm having a bit of a break because a new kitten just walked into my life and I'm trying to make my husband let me keep him...) and I think it would be fun to have some more family structures. They're family styles many people (me, for example) never or rarely play:

Interesting. I usually don't play those kinds of scenarios because by the time I've gone through the effort to find an appropriate mate it's not really in my best interest to throw them out again. Next time I update the rules though(going to try not to do it too often, since it's annoying to keep up with ever-changing rules), I've got an idea for something to add to the misc fun section involving the death of a partner. It's tough to do that, though, because anything involving removing one partner will conflict with the perfect careers generation goal, and one of my main concerns with this challenge is to have as few exceptions/conflicts in the rules as possible. Every combination you roll should be theoretically POSSIBLE to play, even if it's incredibly difficult.

Questions:
1. When you klepto something, can you sell it for cash? If my game would stop crashing, I could find this out for myself, but no, it's going to be difficult today. >_>
2. In an unmodded game(ie, without awesomemod), if both parents die, but a teen is still present in the household, will the social worker take away any babies? I haven't run without awesomemod in over a year, and can no longer recall if this is a feature of the mod or of the base game.
3. For those with world adventures...generation goals involving vacation neighborhoods: despicable, or desirable?
Test Subject
#34 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 6:46 PM Last edited by Luminescense : 8th Jul 2010 at 7:12 PM.
My generation 1 sim, Amelia Lovegood, reached level 4 of her musical career before she got pregnant with the child of her co-worker, Stiles McGraw. This gave her an opportunity to get her guitar skill up some more, and she managed to get up to level 7 before she had to rush to the hospital. There, she gave birth to a son she named Xeno. 4 more children to go!

The generation 2 rules say that the heir must have a partner and have 2 children. The heir will be an inventor, and their spouse must not work. The goal is the have a party to remember, and they must only eat cooked meals.

Wow, this is be fun! I want my heir to be female, though, so I hope one of the other 4 children Amelia still has to have will be a girl (very probable)

Edit: I'll try to answer some of your questions, tigger89.
1. Kleptos can sell what they steal, because technically it's their stuff now, so they can do what they want with it.
2. The one time the adults died off in a game I played, there was 1 teen and 2 children left, and the social worker didn't come. I don't know about babies, but I think as long as you can keep them happy the social worker shouldn't come...
3. I think that would be awesome! It would be nice to have some different things that are specific for people with expansion packs. So I guess for me it's desirable.
Test Subject
#35 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 7:11 PM
Okay, thanks for the reply. After failing twice, I am just determined (or stupid/crazy) enough to try this again. I'm using the same scenario until I actually accomplish this. If anyone else is willing to try with these rolls - single parent, 2 children, architect, perfect children, 1 party per week - and see if you can do it, let me know how it works out for you. Maybe there's some strategy I'm missing! I'd appreciate any hints/tips.
Alchemist
#36 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 7:29 PM
to Tigger, for your question about generation goals for WA: I'm somewhere between desirable and despicable. I'm mostly planning to not go on Vacations at all unless a generation rolls for the adventurer career. This is because once a tomb quest is completed, it stays completed, with all the doors unlocked and traps disarmed, etc. If I do roll an adventurer career, I'd want that Sim to have to do things him/herself. And I don't see too much of a point on gong to vactionland if you aren't going to do quests, especially since you can't earn Visa points without quests, so you have short vacations. But if you can come up with a generation goal for WA that wouldn't require doing the quests, I'd be up for that.

To Karmel, I'm not playing that exact scenario, but my only advice would be to not have children until you've made enough money to afford all the skill books and toys. For my couple with just one Stylist income earner, that took just over one Sim week. It did help that my Sim has a spouse to help with the toddler training. But you can keep your architect Sim home from the job without penalty during the toddler training days. You won't make money (except you will earn your stipend), but you don't get fired. So go ahead and blow off work to focus on training the toddler. Sleep when the toddler sleeps, no matter what time that is, and wake up when the toddler wakes up, so you never waste a moment of awake time
Test Subject
#37 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 7:53 PM
For anyone who has a job instead of a profession, you can also take unpaid days off of work using the phone. You can do the same with a profession, but it's kind of pointless.

I'm loving this challenge so far! I've started with my sim, Jaylee Cooper, as a single parent with one biological child. She's a P.I. and needs a perfect career and hands off. I'm having a bit of trouble with the hands off thing - am I allowed to sell stuff that I can't use from her inventory?

Tigger, as to your questions:
1. The stuff you steal as a klepto will be found in your family inventory under the buy mode. You can sell it, use it, or mail it back for good karma (a good moodlet).
2. Teens can raise infants or older on their own, so the social worker will *not* show up unless your teen fails.
3. Generation goals involving WA neighborhoods would be cool, but like calisims said, once you do a tomb, it doesn't reset. I, too, was not planning on taking a vacation until I roll an adventure goal.
Instructor
Original Poster
#38 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 8:21 PM
Okay, thanks for the reply. After failing twice, I am just determined (or stupid/crazy) enough to try this again. I'm using the same scenario until I actually accomplish this. If anyone else is willing to try with these rolls - single parent, 2 children, architect, perfect children, 1 party per week - and see if you can do it, let me know how it works out for you. Maybe there's some strategy I'm missing! I'd appreciate any hints/tips.

Try waiting to have children until you're an adult. Also, make sure to get the family-oriented trait, so that you don't waste too much time teaching your kids. I haven't played through the architect career yet, so I don't know how well it pays, but if you wait a while to have children it might help.

Thanks for your replies to the questions. With the stolen items, for some reason I thought that the sell value was heavily nerfed. I was probably thinking of something else. I think I'm probably going to restrict the selling of klepto'd items to sims who are in the criminal career track only, since otherwise it's kind of easy to make lots of money. Glad to know about the teen thing, that opens up a few more possibilities.

So, no tomb exploration, got it. Maybe I can come up with something involving the WA skills or collectibles(or both at the same time).
Test Subject
#39 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 10:11 PM

LOVE the library. The library should have toddler toys and books, or at least books if nothing else. With architect, you won't *need* to work all the time, so keep the parent at home during the toddler's years. You can also bring the kid to work with you - just leave them outside while you design, or maybe you can try bringing them inside. Since you work while the game is in pause, you won't be neglecting them or anything. Also, you may want to wait until one kid is a child or teen before having the second.
Instructor
Original Poster
#40 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 1:40 AM Last edited by tigger89 : 9th Jul 2010 at 2:01 AM.
Alright, today's version of awesomemod finally fixed my CTD issue, so I've been able to play. I decided to blog my efforts as well, you can find it here:
http://sims3randomlegacy.blogspot.com/

Also, I'm putting a family tree for the legacy online. The tree won't contain partners or children of spares, but will contain the heirs, their partners, and all their children. It's here:
http://www.familyecho.com/?p=START&...3479#view:START
Field Researcher
#41 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 7:01 AM
A couple rules questions: With a single mother, is it OK to use the Supercomputer to pollinate her without a partner? (The fluff could be either a one-night stand with a sim from out of town, or using a sperm bank, or something else, depending on your play style. But that's something that might well count as cheating, since part of the challenge of the single parent is romancing a townie partner.) And, with the Homemade rule, is it OK for children to cook in the toy oven? It has no cost or ingredients (like the Quick Meal) but it takes time and skill (like cooking). Also, is it OK to eat home-grown produce raw?

To Karmel4:

So the Architect career sounds like a pain if you're not a fan of building... you've probably looked at this, but wikia has a list of what affects your score. (I haven't got Ambitions, so I haven't tried it...) Otherwise, your rolls don't sound that hard to me, as long as you don't try to finish everything in the first couple weeks. It's hardly the worst. (I think a single parent, 5 children, perfect careers and no strangers is about the worst combination I can think of, with a base-game career that sacks you if you miss too many days, though that's still possible if you use strategery. Homemade might be worse than No Strangers, actually, if the career isn't Science or Culinary.)

Definitely wait until you've established yourself to start on the children--as long as you've got 14 days left on Adult when you conceive the first, you'll have time. Then wait until the first is a Child to have a second. (Better yet, get pregnant with the second about 4 days before the first ages up; then you can use the maternity leave to finish perfecting the first little one.) Once they're Children, they can handle themselves pretty well. Keep in mind that toddlers can read to themselves, as long as you leave the books on the floor; all you absolutely need to do with them is teach the 3 skills. Teach potty first, it'll save you time. And remember, if you're pressed for time, all that happens if you don't empty the potty is that it makes a puddle and get a dirty moodlet in the room--give the baby its own bathroom and leave the potty there, that should help.

For the parties, get Legendary Host early, that'll get you a lot of lifetime happiness. Hold them away from home, to save yourself from having to clean up after your slobby friends. Skimp a little on your starting home build, so you've got some free cash for renting party venues. If all you go home for is to sleep and shower for a while, well, that's fine. And you don't have to stay until everyone goes home; if you throw a party for a couple hours then head home, your guests will take the hint. Once your kids are growing up, you're going to be having a birthday party every week--twice a week unless you have super-great timing--for a while, anyway.

These rolls are easier in Sunset Valley than in Riverview: the library there has all four toys needed, plus a doll house, the one in Riverview really skimps. All four toys together come to about 400 simoleons, though, so it's not too much of a problem--set them up outside if your house is too cramped.

Finally, keep in mind that you don't have to perfect your career, just make enough money to keep everyone alive. Skimp a little on your house if you need to. If the repo man comes once or twice, it won't kill you. If the kids have to share a bedroom and sleep in cheep beds, do without teddy bears, well, they'll be more motivated to perfect themselves as they grow up.
Forum Resident
#42 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 7:48 AM
oh why was this challange not on here when I was looking... maybe I should ditch the plain old challange lol Im only on gen1.... but I did get attatched to my sims .... sigh
Alchemist
#43 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 2:34 PM
Tigger, I'm glad you got your CTD issues fixed. Great job on your blog. :D
I've got chapter 5 updated to my blog now, for anyone who is following it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#44 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 11:54 PM
A couple rules questions: With a single mother, is it OK to use the Supercomputer to pollinate her without a partner? (The fluff could be either a one-night stand with a sim from out of town, or using a sperm bank, or something else, depending on your play style. But that's something that might well count as cheating, since part of the challenge of the single parent is romancing a townie partner.)

Yes, I was going to make a note of that the next time I updated the rules. It is ok to use a pollination mod to act as "sperm donation" when playing a single parent or a lesbian couple, but you must be at least "good friend" status with the donor, to simulate the time and effort required to develop a romantic relationship. If your single parent is male, or it's a gay relationship, you will have to move in a female(though once you've done so, you may use the pollination mod, subject to the same rules as above).

And, with the Homemade rule, is it OK for children to cook in the toy oven? It has no cost or ingredients (like the Quick Meal) but it takes time and skill (like cooking).

Yes, I'll add that to the rules next time I update.

Also, is it OK to eat home-grown produce raw?

Eh, I think not, as that would defeat the point of having to put effort into obtaining your food. If your sim does so autonomously, though, there's no penalty.
Test Subject
#45 Old 10th Jul 2010 at 12:06 AM Last edited by ngermana : 10th Jul 2010 at 5:31 AM.
what about cake? I've had cake in my sim's fridge for two and a half weeks, give or take because it's just her and her son (now a child) lol
can homemade include cake?

EDIT:
Also, maybe there could be a thing in the *how many and what kind of children* section, where you have a certain number of children from different countries. I saw a tourist standing at the lake next to my house and was like "hmm" lol

EDIT 2:
What about money trees, life fruits, ambrosia, etc? Are those allowed? And the opportunity that lets you resurrect a loved one?
Test Subject
#46 Old 10th Jul 2010 at 7:00 PM
I'm going to attempt this, but I'm not sure I'll get past the first generation! Single parent, needs to have 4 children, Private Investigator, all the children have to be perfect(this will be the tough one for me!), and random traits/LTW.

Looking forward to starting!
Instructor
Original Poster
#47 Old 10th Jul 2010 at 11:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ngermana
what about cake? I've had cake in my sim's fridge for two and a half weeks, give or take because it's just her and her son (now a child) lol
can homemade include cake?

No, sorry. Too easy to feed your family mostly with cake, especially if you have a lot of children. :\
I don't think cake spoils in the fridge, though(or if it does, it takes FOREVER), so you can always save it up.

EDIT:
Also, maybe there could be a thing in the *how many and what kind of children* section, where you have a certain number of children from different countries. I saw a tourist standing at the lake next to my house and was like "hmm" lol

Stop reading my mind(!!!) and be patient for rules update! :p

EDIT 2:
What about money trees, life fruits, ambrosia, etc? Are those allowed? And the opportunity that lets you resurrect a loved one?

Yes, they're all allowed, but money tree harvesting is considered gardening for the purpose of determining income type.

While my mind is on the topic, if you have a mod that disables the destruction of recipes and songs after reading them, you must either subtract the amount of money the item cost from your household total every time you read it, disable the mod, or buy a new copy each time.
Field Researcher
#48 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 1:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tigger89
No, sorry. Too easy to feed your family mostly with cake, especially if you have a lot of children. :\
I don't think cake spoils in the fridge, though(or if it does, it takes FOREVER), so you can always save it up.

Can they eat it during a party, just not save it? (Otherwise it's pretty much impossible to throw a birthday party.) Maybe with some caveat that homemade food must also be served at the birthday party? Or just do without birthday parties if they've got the Homemade roll.
Field Researcher
#49 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 5:30 AM
So I'm actually back to playing this... I just couldn't keep the kitten, I'm too allergic to her, we got her her shots and gave her to our friend who's been wanting a kitten... so at least I can visit her... anyway.

So Shaena and Max aged up, they're both now Adults. I discovered that Max's hair wasn't available for Adults, so they both got a little bit of a birthday make-over.

The morning after her 35th birthday, Shaena's biological clock went off like a car alarm. Fortunately, the next day was Max's day off, and they spent much of the day in bed conceiving the next generation. The dream house is still half finished (everything in Build Mode is finished, but the fixtures are still missing), so moving into it should be exciting: there isn't room for a baby in the garage apartment, but hopefully the house will be fully functional by the heir's first birthday. Max and I are hoping for a girl, Shaena just wants a baby... I have a mod that keeps fruit from biasing babies, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Max is now to level 8 in Journalism, soon to be promoted to 9, with his Writing and Charisma skills at 8 and 7 respectively; so Perfect Careers shouldn't be a problem. Shaena maxed Gardening a long time ago, and is currently growing 5 species of perfect plants, with several very close to perfect, so her lifetime wish is only a matter of time.

I rolled up my rules for generation 2, got a single parent who is an author, 2 children, perfect careers again, with Partier for more fun. I almost never throw parties, outside birthdays, so that should be interesting.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 7:29 AM Last edited by systempain : 11th Jul 2010 at 8:12 AM.
My Experience so far
Meet Algus Twinklewinkle.
He must remain single, and adopt one child. He works as an architect, and is rather good at it. His "house" only has one segment of wall, for the sole purpose of having a toilet stall by it. His goal is to have a perfect child, which was made more difficult by spending most of his money on the most expensive lot. For misc. fun, all of his traits are random and his lifetime want was chosen with my eyes closed. Also, all of the furniture is chrome. And he doesn't wear pants.

PS. Is the moodlet manager allowed? I won't use it either way because it seems like cheating.
Screenshots
Page 2 of 22