Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 1:42 AM
I'm practically bouncing in my seat over here. *rushes off to CAS and writes down schedule*
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 4:47 AM
I am definitely in. Is the schedule you posted going to be the same throughout the entire challenge?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#28 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 5:55 AM Last edited by MistyDW : 7th Mar 2014 at 6:06 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Jess343434
I am definitely in. Is the schedule you posted going to be the same throughout the entire challenge?

Yes.

And just FYI, I already have tomorrow night's material written. I'm just having someone test it for me in case I missed anything critical. The first one doesn't require any skills. I hope finding out people's dirty little secrets, staking out houses, and picking through clues left for you in a riddle from the killer appeals to you guys! You may end up needing to tail a suspect or two around town while you're at it.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 9:28 AM
I am in.
Test Subject
#30 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 1:46 PM
I'm really looking forward to starting this, but I'm back with another question. Sorry.

Say I create two sims, maybe siblings or friends. I play one as the PI, then when I go wrong (which I will, I'm hopeless at working out whodunnit) and the murderer kills my PI, could I have the sibling/friend take over as the PI? My story is that the sibling/friend would take over the PI role because they want to get justice for the murder of the original PI. Obviously when they take over the case I'd make sure they had no skills and while they were the spare they wouldn't be allowed to contribute to the household's income.

Of course because I'm so bad at working out whodunnit I'd have to add another spare for when I go wrong the next time.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 2:15 PM
Or start with 8 siblings - killed off one by one!

Btw, is money important in this challenge? Is there any particular reason why you start with 1000 simoleons? Is it for bribes or something like that?

Absolutely Cuckoo - I'm Surrounded By Idiots
Pollard - a Boolprop EPIC challenge
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#32 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 2:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kimlupai
I'm really looking forward to starting this, but I'm back with another question. Sorry.

Say I create two sims, maybe siblings or friends. I play one as the PI, then when I go wrong (which I will, I'm hopeless at working out whodunnit) and the murderer kills my PI, could I have the sibling/friend take over as the PI? My story is that the sibling/friend would take over the PI role because they want to get justice for the murder of the original PI. Obviously when they take over the case I'd make sure they had no skills and while they were the spare they wouldn't be allowed to contribute to the household's income.

Of course because I'm so bad at working out whodunnit I'd have to add another spare for when I go wrong the next time.

That would be fine as long as you don't have them working on a case at the same time. If one takes over (in the unfortunate demise of the first), that's fine by me.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#33 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 2:25 PM Last edited by MistyDW : 7th Mar 2014 at 2:48 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by toxi
Or start with 8 siblings - killed off one by one!

Btw, is money important in this challenge? Is there any particular reason why you start with 1000 simoleons? Is it for bribes or something like that?

Yes, money is important. The 1,000 simoleons is your savings at this point. Sometimes you will have to do bribes and may need to purchase/make special items. Your PI should be making his living off of being a PI, nothing else. You can (in between events for this challenge) take other cases and build up some cash and your PI level.

For example (and this might be a hint lol) let's say you've narrowed down your suspects based on the clues you've unraveled so far. You contact me with your findings and I tell that the suspect's home that contains a particular item was not involved. Now how do you distract the sims inside because they can't know you're going through their underwear drawers! If it were me, I'd procure a bladder flow potion, pretend it's wine..and take care of business while they're showering after the "embarrassing" incident. Maybe something else would be better (that buys me more time). You're going to have to figure that out and have the funds to pull it off

If you make wise choices as the event unfolds, I will give you more detailed clues so that you will have some pretty strong feelings about where to go and where not to go in the "final decision" where you risk getting killed. So take your time! If you get to the end and feel like you don't have a clue...well there's always a chance you'll guess right
Instructor
#34 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 6:59 PM Last edited by MistressTiffany : 27th May 2014 at 9:20 PM.
I'd like to introduce Miss Claudia Applegate, our semi-50s-inspired PI for the challenge.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 7:06 PM
Mistress Tiffany - She looks amazing! I hope she stays alive.

Absolutely Cuckoo - I'm Surrounded By Idiots
Pollard - a Boolprop EPIC challenge
Instructor
#36 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 7:09 PM
Thanks Toxi! I hope so too. She has the lucky trait, so hopefully that will help her get out of a sticky situation if necessary.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#37 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 9:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MistressTiffany
Thanks Toxi! I hope so too. She has the lucky trait, so hopefully that will help her get out of a sticky situation if necessary.

She looks amazing! Everyone should post a pic of their PI!
Field Researcher
#38 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 10:22 PM
Well, I have this guy sitting around doing absolutely nothing, so I think I'll use him. This is Astor von Vaudeville, the least talented member of my Barrymore-esque theater/performance/film-based dynasty. At least I assume so; he's usually lost whatever job I last left him in by the time I get around to his family again.

Cleaned him up a little in CAS, kicked him out of the palatial family residence, and signed him up as a PI. The rest of the von Vaudevilles (and I) will be entirely shocked if he turns out to be good at it.
Test Subject
#39 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 10:54 PM Last edited by emilie21star : 7th Mar 2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: added pic
hahah I cant remember her first name but we will call her Miss Caudill
Screenshots
Test Subject
#40 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 1:32 AM
Let's see if I can post a pic.

My sim, Shawn Hewitt, decided to eat breakfast naked after taking a shower; luckily, he changed before leaving his house.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#41 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 3:45 AM Last edited by MistyDW : 8th Mar 2014 at 4:16 AM.
SO SORRY GUYS! I have a mean head cold working on me and I laid down about 5pm. My husband was supposed to get me up at 8 and he didn't lol. I'll post the event in just a moment. Please note that you don't have to spend tons of time figuring this out. All the clues you need to point you in the right direction are right there in the intro and if you catch them, it will make finding the answers a lot easier. Otherwise you will spend a while doing this the hard way and following everyone around.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#42 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 4:07 AM
Default Case #1 - Sunset Valley
Introduction: Anyone that knows anything about Sunset Valley knows who the power players are. The feud between the “old money” Landgrabb’s and the “Nouveau Riche” Alto’s is legendary. The Alto’s practically own the town’s commerce while the Landgrabb’s are rumored to have founded the town itself. Then there’s the Goths. Sophisticated and very old money also believed to play a key role in founding of Sunset Valley. The issues between these families run deeper than just new money vs. old money though. Treachery is afoot and it's up to you to find who is plotting against whom enough to mean murder!

Event: It’s a cool spring evening in Sunset Valley. Your office is all but silent as you thumb through a recently solved case file. A resounding knock sounds at your door, not entirely surprising since you’ve been building your reputation as the best private investigator in town. You stand and cross the room giving the door handle a firm tug. A man, tall, thin, and pale stands before you. You’re immediately drawn to his attire, specifically the purple top hat and matching suit.

“I am Gunther Goth” (he hands you a business card that reads “Gunther Goth, Doo Peas Chief Executive Officer”. If you’re as skilled a detective as I’ve heard, I wish to employ you, immediately. Money is no object.”

You direct Mr. Goth to have a seat in the leather chair across form your desk and offer him your full attention.

“You see, my wife, Cornelia, was recently found murdered at a cemetery not far from our home. Four nights ago, my wife attended a social gathering at the Landgrabb’s, some old acquaintances of ours. She was last seen in the company of someone driving a Margaret Vaguester and was dropped off near a local salon on Skyborough Blvd. at around 8:00 PM. I find this odd as my wife does not usually frequent such places. How she arrived at the Cemetery was a mystery but why she would go there is not. She often visited to pay her respects to a friend…I can’t recall the name but I’d see her carrying lilies from her garden to the cemetery at least once a week. She was found later that evening, slumped over a grave, shot to death in the back of the head. She probably never saw her killer. No murder weapon was found. The only thing the police recovered was a receipt in her purse from Flying V’s Coffeehouse stamped at 9:14 PM that evening.

I worked late that night, as I often do, and was unable to accompany her to the affair. As her husband, of course the police are considering me as a possible suspect, that’s where you come in. I want you to find my wife’s killer or at least clear my name."

He sits back casually stroking his beard with his thumb. For a man whose wife was just murdered, he strikes you as a bit cold. Is that the rich snob in him or does he have something to hide?

You ask Mr. Goth the usual questions, not the least of which, did Cornelia Goth have any enemies. He assured you that she kept to herself and that other than her sister Agnes, he and their son were the closest to her. You’ve got your work cut out for you!

From “Mister X”: The next morning, you discover an unmarked envelope on your doorstep. Inside is short note that reads:

The rich eat Lobster Thermidor
Whilst plotting behind closed doors
This one knows the truth, you’ll seek
Though your chances of finding them are bleak.

One new, one old, one warm, one cold.
One who got in the way
All have something to you they’ll say

Follow her well and the clues you’ll find
If you believe all you hear then you’ll be mine!

How to Proceed: Since this is the first event in the challenge, I’m inclined to offer some guidance this one time. You’ve basically been given several clues to run down and some major pointers were given to you right here in this post! Here is a guide to information you should be looking for:

1. What is the “issue” that these three families have in common that wasn't already stated? How are they linked (other than being rich). This may require you to do some digging, talking to the families, even following them around (although there is a huge clue right here in this post).

2. Who do you think drove Cornelia to the salon that night? Again, this is going to take some stake out work until you find who has that vehicle but narrow it down by considering your suspects.

3. Who did Cornelia have dinner with at Flying Vs (the clues are there, you just need to pay close attention to them…and your map). I will tell you that the dinner guest has a very specific favorite dish.

4. Finally, whose grave did Cornelia bring flowers to that night? This isn't going to shed a lot of light on the subject for you now, but future clues will link you back to the grave so it's good to know.

Once you figure these out, here is the question I'd like you to answer for me either here on the board (if you really want to share your findings) or in a PM: You only have time to thoroughly investigate two families (out of a possible 4). Who do you think would benefit you the most to speak to? Based on your answers, I'll respond with a conversation between you and the family. That will include more clues to further your investigation. I will say that one is REALLY important and will be the one to blow this thing wide open for you (to an extent) while the others range from semi-helpful to out right lying.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#43 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 5:05 AM
Just a quick note, Margaret Vaguester is car...a VERY expensive one (over 100,000 simoleons) and there is only one family in town who owns it.
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 5:10 AM Last edited by M-hzer : 8th Mar 2014 at 5:34 AM.
I personally suspect that Agnes Crumplebottom had dinner with Cornelia, from the location of the coffeehouse and Agnes' house, considering that both is at least friends with each other. She did not take Ms. Goth to the spa, because she does not have the Vaugestar-thingy. This is more apparent with the information from Shawn, which I confirmed for myself a bit later.
EDIT: I also suspect that Vita Alto took her to the spa, judging the fact from the Vauguestar which was parked in the parking of the building that Altos went to, and the fact that Vita used to be the friend of Cornelia makes that fact apparent.
- Sammy, my character
Test Subject
#45 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 5:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by M-hzer
I personally suspect that Agnes Crumplebottom had dinner with Cornelia, from the location of the coffeehouse and Agnes' house, considering that both is at least friends with each other.

Agnes also likes Lobster Thermidor... However, the Alto's own the car...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#46 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 6:36 AM
You guys are so nice for helping each other!

Just to let everyone know, once you get your interview results, the next step will be posted tomorrow where you will have a chance to put your ideas to the test (as far as who killed Cornelia). Sunday we'll do the "big decision" to see if you've gotten enough info (or are lucky) to survive the killer's challenge.
Field Researcher
#47 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 7:25 AM
Ok, Nita Alto family seems a little suspicious to me, so far.
BTW my character is named Ada
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 9:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BL00DIEDHELL
Are groups private, as in you have to be a member to even read the posts? Because if so, I'd advise against a group personally. I'm interested in this but I'm also someone who has the attention span of roadkill and would prefer to just follow along with the thread until I'm sure I can actually play the challenge without going MEH BORED like a five year old.

You might be able to make them private but I don't think they have to be. I was curious about one group and what it was all about and I was easily able to see everything associated with it. It just wasn't my cup of tea so I didn't ask to join. When I suggested a group it was more to have an easy place to find the next set of clues without having to wade through all the conversations as well as an easy way to keep up with everyone participating.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 9:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by M-hzer
I personally suspect that Agnes Crumplebottom had dinner with Cornelia, from the location of the coffeehouse and Agnes' house, considering that both is at least friends with each other. She did not take Ms. Goth to the spa, because she does not have the Vaugestar-thingy. This is more apparent with the information from Shawn, which I confirmed for myself a bit later.
EDIT: I also suspect that Vita Alto took her to the spa, judging the fact from the Vauguestar which was parked in the parking of the building that Altos went to, and the fact that Vita used to be the friend of Cornelia makes that fact apparent.
- Sammy, my character

Agnes and Cornelia are more than just friends. They are Sisters. Cornelia's maiden name is Crumplebottom.
Field Researcher
#50 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 9:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ladykelien
Agnes and Cornelia are more than just friends. They are Sisters. Cornelia's maiden name is Crumplebottom.

Really? I didnt know that. And Nita Alto tried to blame it on Gunther at the end.
Page 2 of 4