Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 11th Jul 2019 at 4:16 AM
I am trying this out and attempting to combine it w/the "Poverty to Riches" challenge. My sim did have to do some fishing at first and then harvesting from the community garden in order to get some fruits and veggies to sell at the consignment shop. So far, she has some veggies planted and she has a small room w/a toilet and shower and bed. As she gets the money, I will expand the "house" to include 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, and living area (kitchen/dining/living room) and also buy the appliances required. In the other challenge, they cannot make any money at all except thru consignment sales and opportunities. No jobs though. So far, I just have the one expansion of the veggie garden. Keeping the 2nd one open to see if I can get a greenhouse around the garden before winter. If I don't have enough money for the greenhouse by winter, I'll buy the bee hive to have an income. Hopefully, I'll have enough money for both and building the house. I have a question though. When do we upgrade the look of the house? As we get the money?
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 3:00 AM
I made the greenhouse a priority over her "house" which is still just a room just big enough for a bed, toilet and shower. I *could* have made the greenhouse a little earlier, but I splurged and bought her a fridge, lol. Both her gardening and fishing skills are at 6 and it is week 2, day 6. She has been harvesting from the community garden which came w/Aurora Skies. Anyway, she finally got enough money now to finish the (small) greenhouse and buy another bee house. Next, will be the gradual expansion of the house.
Instructor
#28 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 10:23 PM
She's making pretty good money now especially w/the honey. I just expanded the house to 2 bedrooms and eventually 3 bathrooms (one master bath and 2 for kids). She's working on a pixel donor soon. She's going to need all the help she can get. It's a full time job now w/a small garden and I want to expand the farm.
Instructor
#29 Old 14th Jul 2019 at 1:50 AM Last edited by Sonshine : 14th Jul 2019 at 2:36 AM.
Talking about "pixel donors," she married the repo man. She had to have him move in first though so that he became unemployed. While he was working as the repo man, no such romantic interactions were available to go steady or more. Once he was unemployed, he was free to marry. They are expecting their first child now. I don't think I mentioned it, but her "expansions" or goals this time are beekeeping and a veggie garden. Her heir will probably do a fruit orchard an crops and possibly chickens. I don't know how much eggs go for in the consignment though. So far, the honey is very profitable.
Test Subject
#30 Old 14th Jul 2019 at 4:31 PM
The Williamson's were well-known socialites in Bridgeport. Their brand and their teenage daughter were their livelihoods. Contrary to popular belief, they hadn't always been rich and famous. They grew up together in Appaloosa Plains but Joanne's parents had since passed. Still, Gregory's mother, Margaret Williamson, still remained, alone and retired. Camille and her parents decided to make the trip to Appaloosa Plains, to visit Margaret, and where they were going to leave Camille for a few days. Joanne and Gregory decided to take a little trip of their own, their only chance to get away from the big city scene. On their way back from a small motel, a storm struck, taking the lives of Joanne and Gregory Williamson. This left Camille in the custody of her only known relative, her grandmother.

Unlike her parents, Camille grew up in the city, she didn't know anything different. But her parent's money had been swept away with them when their business suddenly also took a turn for the worse. Knowing there was little chance of her being able to move back to Bridgeport, Camille decided to make the best of her situation. Even though her grandmother lived in a small home, she owned plenty of land, land that would soon belong to Camille and to which she vowed she would expand upon. She would make this farm her legacy.

-----

Yeah okay, so that was just a little (not well written but it gets the job done) backstory. But, I adore farming challenges like these and I decided I wanted to make my backstory just a little different this time. I'm not really sure if I made it harder or easier on myself but it is what it is. Instead of starting with one young adult sim, I started with two sims, a teen and elder, as you can probably tell if you read my little blurb (technically I started with four but I killed off Camille's parents, so that was a really unproductive first week). However, Camille is really the only one doing any farming/beekeeping work. Occasionally, her grandmother will because Camille has to go to school, but more often than not, Margaret only cooks and cleans. Also, I totally forgot the part where their home is supposed to be super ugly, and I gave them a cute little cottage. Anyways, they're on their first winter and getting by on the money from consigning honey and selling the produce from the red berry bean plant they have inside. As a rule, I've decided I won't add any extensions until one sim in the generation reaches young adulthood. I have a couple of other ideas for the rest of Camille's teenage life and I hope I get to post those super soon (if I can figure out this posting screenshot thing).

[/IMG]
Screenshots
Test Subject
#31 Old 14th Jul 2019 at 4:35 PM
Also, does anyone know how to get ghosts to stop coming out of the gravestones? I wanted to display her parent's graves but her mom started haunting the place, which was super annoying.
Instructor
#32 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 9:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EjjeIceGod
Rules:

The Expansions:
-Herb Garden for University Herbs (can be small, but at least five must be growing)
-Vegetable Garden (only vegetable crops, at least five)
-Fruit Orchard (trees and crops count, at least five)
-Nectary Shed + Wine Cellar
-Barn (add horse stalls if you like)
-Memorial Garden for the Founding Sim and Spouse (includes their graves)
-A Stocked Pond
-An Expansion on the House (no more than two rooms, or expand pre-built rooms). Can be done more than once.
-Beekeeping Area (at least one hive)
-Horse Training Area
-Decorative Flower Garden
-Gazebo
-Wedding Grounds
-Wrap Around Front Porch (preferably when the house is to your liking)
-Adopt 2 cats/dogs or 1 cat and 1 dog
-Be creative! Add whatever you think is necessary!

-Optional (if you have the Store Content)
-2 Chicken Coops
-A Cow Shed
-A Tractor Course
-A Berry Garden

If you still come around, may I ask what the difference is between a "Berry Garden" and berry plants and fruit trees? You group them together earlier. Now you have them listed separately w/the Berry garden as an optional expansion. Are they together for one generation or are they 2 different expansions? I bolded the lines that I'm asking about.
Instructor
#33 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 9:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by reannaleanne
Also, does anyone know how to get ghosts to stop coming out of the gravestones? I wanted to display her parent's graves but her mom started haunting the place, which was super annoying.

Hi Reannaleanne, to stop the ghosts from coming out of their graves, you either have to stash the urns in your sim's inventory, buy a separate lot somewhere in town and designate it a graveyard for your deceased family members or use nraas Retuner mod to disable the ghosts altogether.
Instructor
#34 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 10:14 PM
I forgot to mention that after moving the repo man in, I removed all of the money that came w/him ($151+k!) to make it more realistic and to keep in form to the rule of *only* making money by farming. I am now in week 5, day 4 and they have about $4k. It is summer now and I moved the plants outside. I will also be expanding the garden as their daughter grows up and can help out. Right now, it is truly a full time job!
Instructor
#35 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 5:38 PM Last edited by Sonshine : 16th Jul 2019 at 8:20 PM.
Update, their daughter is now a child and will be going to school in another day. They have 3 beehives now and are growing many Red Berry Beans, Spotlight Mushrooms, Mycelina Mushrooms, and a few other things. The beans are perfect now and a couple of other plants. Her ltw is the perfect garden so some of the things, like the tomatoes, eggplant, and lettuce she plants are just for that and will not be planted again once she plants the perfect seed and grows it. The lettuce was nice in the beginning for a free Autumn salad. She is pregnant w/their second child and their household funds are now a bit over $32k. Her last consignment income for one day was $15k!! It was mostly the beans, honey/bees wax, and mushrooms. They have a very nice house now and their daughter, the heiress will be expanding it along w/a horse. The horse "barn" or stall would be her expansion.

If I read this right, it looks like the barn and horse training area are 2 expansions which you allow for each generation. I have a question though, is the box stall considered a "barn" or is it part of the horse training area? If the box stall and training area are 2 different expansions, then that will be their daughter's addition.

I have another question, would the Swift Grow station be considered an "expansion" or just part of the garden?
Mad Poster
#36 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 3:14 AM
It's late spring in my apocalypse challenge town and the Jankowskys have to get working on building the graveyard near town and start getting a pub built for when other families arrive in town.It might be a few more years to go before another couple arrives to claim their homestead and start building their farm.The Jankowskys are set to move into town for the comtruction of the new pub and graveyard.I've got self employed,unemployed and part time jobs enabled though only a few of those because most rabbit holes are still MIA.
Instructor
#37 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 4:05 AM
Tad Olson, I think you have the wrong thread. This is a farm challenge, not an apocalypse one.

Anyway, I decided to start over. I made some mistakes before. I started again in Aurora Skies, but this time I built a very run down, ramshackle house for her. My backstory is that When she lived in the city, she met up w/a hustler guy and fell head over heels in love w/him and went across the country w/him. When they landed in Aurora Skies, he just dumped her b/c her usefulness had ended. She had very little money, but w/what she did have, she went looking for a house to rent. All she could find was a VERY rundown, ramshackle house w/weeds all over the place and a very run down building in back. She went to the bank and begged them to give her a loan to buy the property. They relented b/c they were desperate to do something w/that property and if this young lady wanted it, she could have it. She promised that she would make installments for paying for it, little by little. She would fish and farm to earn her money. She starts out w/0 simoleons b/c she spent every penny she had on a down payment (familyfunds 0). She knew that eventually, she could do *something* w/it. Fortunately, it did have an old toilet and sink of sorts in it and a little more than a pipe for a shower. At least it would do the job in cleaning her up after a day of working on her farm. The only other thing she had was her sleeping bag. It would do for now. She saw that there were several fishing holes around town and even a community garden! She was in heaven already! Now starts the arduous task of fixing the place up and getting an income. Her traits are loves outdoors, good, gatherer, green thumb, and angler. The "holes" in the walls are special windows and the wallpaper is the freebie one in the miscellaneous section. The fence is by Cyclone Sue from TSR and the bldg in back is The Old Mill.
Screenshots
Instructor
#38 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 6:48 PM
I've been making some progress. She started out harvesting the plants from the community garden and selling them at the consignment shop. She made very little at first, but enough to pay the bills. She did let one set of bills go and the repo man came and confiscated one of the light bulbs. I let this happen on purpose b/c by the time she was on her feet enough to have a husband, the other men in town were either too young or too old or married so she "met" the repo man. I had her work up their relationship and eventually had him move in. Again, I removed the money that he brought in. It turns out that he is an adult, heading towards elderhood. They married shortly after that. She is now pregnant w/their first child and the house is looking really good now. She gets several thousand simoleons almost every day now. They have a little over $20k now and a greenhouse b/c it is winter and she couldn't let her plants go dormant and thus losing half of her income. Her son or daughter will expand the house and add to the crops on the farm, possibly fruit. Here are some pics:
Screenshots
Instructor
#39 Old 20th Jul 2019 at 4:08 PM
To give an update here, She had a little boy named Gardener and also has a little girl named Fleur. When I last looked, they had at least $ 95k in their bank account. They have 3 beehives now and I added the Swift Grow station to the garden. Mostly so I can get the best fertilizer (sunshine) and to identify seeds that she and her husband pick up. It wouldn't do to grow a seed only to find out that it is an herb or a fruit which her son would grow. Her firstborn will be the heir and he will expand the house, but I have not decided yet on which crop or other expansion to add. I'm keeping all herbs and fruit seeds in a chest. One of the fruit seeds that she picked up was a life fruit!! When it comes time for nectar making that will be incredibly valuable. Anyway, here are some pics of the family. I'll get a full pic later today, but Gardener is now a child.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#40 Old 21st Jul 2019 at 2:43 PM
I'm also playing this challenge and I'm loving it so far! I started it on Appaloosa Plains and Catherine Winchester is the founder. She has a small vegetable garden and one bee hive. She married Benjamin and, unknown to her, he has a dog! They are quickly outgrowing their small 2-bedroom house as they have two children: Elizabeth (child) and Jack (newborn).
Instructor
#41 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 5:49 AM
I'm making progress. Gardener is just 4 days from becoming a YA, Fleur is a teen and they have a little brother named Galen who is a child. Evie is an adult and Timothy is an elder now. Gardener just learned to drive and Fleur will learn how to drive the next day. Their primary crops are Red Berry Beans, and Truffles, Mycelenas, Spotlight, and Glow Orb mushrooms. These are in addition to the honey. Gardener is lev 7 gardening now. I take him to the library to study in his free time. He should almost be maxed out in gardening by the time he reaches YA status. Right now, both Evie and Timothy are working on the Omni Plant quest line. Here are some pics of the family: First is Gardener as a teen, then Fleur as a teen, Galen as a child, and last is Timothy as an elder.
Screenshots
Instructor
#42 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 1:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sonshine
If you still come around, may I ask what the difference is between a "Berry Garden" and berry plants and fruit trees?

I've been thinking about this and the only thing that makes sense is a garden comprised solely of berry plants. It would be separate from the main garden.
Test Subject
#43 Old 26th Jul 2019 at 1:40 AM
I've been thinking about this and the only thing that makes sense is a garden comprised solely of berry plants. It would be separate from the main garden.

Sorry for the silly question, but which ones are just berry plants? Are these store content?
Instructor
#44 Old 30th Jul 2019 at 5:49 AM
I think she means the fruit plants that are berries like Strawberry, Blueberry, Blackberry, etc... It looks like the author of this challenge doesn't come around anymore. So I'm swinging w/this. Good luck on your challenge!
Mad Poster
#45 Old 30th Jul 2019 at 2:54 PM
It's farming that's being done in Sunset Valley2 by colonial settlers though the wars in Europe were the reason why they came over to the new world to start new lives.It was brought on by land being handed to war heroes after the Eurpeans drove the Turkish invaders out of Europe and the small holdings landowners got dislplaced which forced them to migrate into the cities and even to new colonies.Salisbury Beach is being established with mostly farming and crafting as it's main sources of income for residents.
Instructor
#46 Old 31st Jul 2019 at 1:31 AM Last edited by Luckk : 31st Jul 2019 at 7:24 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by icefaerie
Sorry for the silly question, but which ones are just berry plants? Are these store content?

The Bohemian Garden store content added a lot more harvestables; bunch of fruits and nuts. That's why it's listed as store content. The pack adds strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries (and other fruits and nuts but these are 'berries').
Instructor
#47 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 3:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
It's farming that's being done in Sunset Valley2 by colonial settlers though the wars in Europe were the reason why they came over to the new world to start new lives.It was brought on by land being handed to war heroes after the Eurpeans drove the Turkish invaders out of Europe and the small holdings landowners got dislplaced which forced them to migrate into the cities and even to new colonies.Salisbury Beach is being established with mostly farming and crafting as it's main sources of income for residents.

Ok, but according to the challenge, farming is to be the only source of income and no crafting. I think this is why you got a "disagree" response. Your story sounds good though. TBH, my family now has over $600k and the oldest son just got married and the 3rd generation will come shortly. This is just on veggies (red berry bean, mushrooms, and some lower value veggies to get the first skill challenge and honey. The Red Berry Beans and Honey and a couple of the mushrooms are the primary money makers. My next series of plants are fruit and I have about 6 Life Plants so far from picking up special seeds. I am keeping all of the Life Plants that are perfect for the future Nectar maker. I'll be honest, it's hard not to pick up the gems and cut them and sell them or the space rocks, lol
Test Subject
Original Poster
#48 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 1:47 AM
Hello Everyone! I'm so sorry for not showing up for awhile! Gomenasai! I'm here to answer some questions.

I think she means the fruit plants that are berries like Strawberry, Blueberry, Blackberry, etc... It looks like the author of this challenge doesn't come around anymore. So I'm swinging w/this. Good luck on your challenge!
-Yes! That is exactly what I meant! Those wonderful berry plants from the store.

A few people asked about the money you get when marrying a townie. I didn't even think of that, and my answer would be to cheat it back down to what you had before.

Thanks so much for playing everyone! I was surprised to see so many wonderful new stories! I love them all, so creative and fun! And a big thanks to Sonshine for dragging me back! I'll try to check this more often. I hope I didn't miss any questions. ^.^ Have a great day!
Instructor
#49 Old 7th Aug 2019 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EjjeIceGod
Hello Everyone! I'm so sorry for not showing up for awhile! Gomenasai! I'm here to answer some questions.

A few people asked about the money you get when marrying a townie. I didn't even think of that, and my answer would be to cheat it back down to what you had before.

This is exactly what I do

Quote: Originally posted by Ejjelceod
Thanks so much for playing everyone! I was surprised to see so many wonderful new stories! I love them all, so creative and fun! And a big thanks to Sonshine for dragging me back! I'll try to check this more often. I hope I didn't miss any questions. ^.^ Have a great day!

You're very welcome! I totally love the "rags to riches" challenges. This is why I had her start out w/nothing.
Instructor
#50 Old 11th Aug 2019 at 12:10 AM Last edited by Sonshine : 12th Aug 2019 at 6:39 PM.
Hi again, in one of your expansions, you mention a nectary shed. Are we allowed to use buydebug to obtain the fruits like Crannerlet grapes that can only be obtained in France?

Edit: After I posted this, I had the idea of using the Fruit and Veggie stand from the Al Fresco Street Market. This is a premium item from the Sims 3 store. If anybody does not have it, my question would still stand of using buydebug. Otherwise you can find just about any seed that is available in the game in this/these stand(s).

Edit 2: One more additional info. If we are allowed to and if anybody wants to use the veggie stands, you have to have several of them to get a good variety of all of the seeds available. I usually make a community lot for them and put about 12 or so of them on there. This saves the money of the family.
Page 2 of 3