Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Mar 2024 at 8:04 PM
Default SimPE won't allow me to change TXMT without blanking
Hi,

I have been trying to edit an earring mesh I have made to make them more transparent, almost like glass, but in terms of transparency, I have not been having any luck. Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about.

Picture 1 and Picture 2 show how the Categorized Properties tab and Resource List and Tree look by themselves before I edit. I'm following a TMXT edit tutorial from this website to make the mesh more transparent, but when I click commit after changing the stdMatAlphaBlendMode to blend and fixing the stdMatAlphaMultiplier, (Picture 3)

the Resource List name changes to [Material Definition] (Picture 4) and everything in the Generic Rcol Editor disappears (Picture 5).

I have been looking at other posts and tutorials and for some reason I can't seem to be able to edit the TXMT, even though it seems to work better for everyone else. Please help!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Mar 2024 at 8:12 PM
Change the settings in the "Properties" tab, NOT in the "Categorized Properties" tab. Only ones I've ever done in the "Categorized Properties" are the ones where you can pick colors from a swatch (and most of the time I'll edit them in Properties before commiting).

To switch between false/true settings in Properties, it's usually 0 or 1, but they'll show as false/true in the "Categorized Properties" tab. Some other settings are like that, too.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Mar 2024 at 9:23 PM
I did it again with the Properties tab and it still blanked. I even tried just hitting the commit button without doing anything else and it blanked. I don’t know, something is going wrong when I hit commit.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 29th Mar 2024 at 4:08 AM
Which SimPE version (number) are you using?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Mar 2024 at 12:53 PM
I use v.0.73.44
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 31st Mar 2024 at 12:20 AM
Should I move this to another part of the forum? Ask someone in particular?
Mad Poster
#7 Old 31st Mar 2024 at 2:29 AM
I don't think I've seen this happen before, so other than the tips above, I don't know what's going on. I used to have the v.0.73.44 version earlier, and it didn't do this when I edited files.

Where is the file you're editing currently saved (computer area - regular Documents or Program Files, on an external harddrive/USB stick, or other?), and do you have any issues with the computer memory (4GB or less on the computer) and/or not a lot of harddrive space left? Just wondering if it could be a saving and/or memory issue of some sort.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 31st Mar 2024 at 12:49 PM
I saved the editing file on my Desktop so I could find it easily, but I checked my computer’s memory and it has 465GB. (I use a laptop) I’m also using a version of Sims 2 that I found on a website, and I know it’s missing some features, as well as the Bodyshop, which I got separately. My parents have since sent me my Sims 2 discs and I was hoping the issue could be solved before I installed my physical version, but there also could be the chance that the faulty Bodyshop could most likely be creating faulty SimPE files. I tried downloading other people’s files and editing them in my own SimPE to test that theory, but it’s also my SimPE. Is there a particular place where SimPE should be downloaded and nowhere else? I would like to make sure I didn’t also get a faulty version of SimPE. If that option does not work, then I’ll just uninstall the version of Sims and Bodyshop that I have, and use my physical copy. I used the physical copy when I was much younger, and it worked the way that it should, but I didn’t know how to mesh back then. Also, when I click the link that SimPE makes when I type it, I realized the Nvidia utilities link gives me a 404 not found, so that part’s missing. Maybe that could be an issue if not the EXACT issue. Is there an alternative link for it? (So sorry about the long post and list of questions!!)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 31st Mar 2024 at 8:59 PM
EDIT: I got the correct Nvidia DDS utilities and that didn’t fix it. There’s something strange going on with my SimPE. It shouldn’t blank if I want to simply commit a TXMT file.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 31st Mar 2024 at 9:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cfranck8
...but I checked my computer’s memory and it has 465GB.

That's harddrive space, not memory/Ram.

Most computers these days have somewhere between 4-32 GB of RAM. If you're on a Windows computer, you can right-click "This computer" when you're in a folder view, and select "Properties". You can find amount of "Installed RAM" as one of the info lines.

Osab posted a backup link for the DDS utilities here: https://osab.tumblr.com/post/634706...load-recently-i

Pretty sure the SimPE versions are all collected here: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=630456
(It's possible you just have to try a few - I've got the "SimPE 0.75f-QA" version - it works fine, except for some issues with the windows undocking, which can get a bit annoying at times. I previously used the "SimPE 0.73.44-QA" version, which worked with my CD game, but I had issues setting it up with the UC paths, which is why I switched to the other one. The 0.73 and on were updated for M&G, so you need at least that one or higher if you've got all games).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 31st Mar 2024 at 9:47 PM
I just downloaded the DDS files that you posted and I reinstalled the version of SimPE that you have. Now I’m installing my disc version of Sims 2 and I will see if that all does the trick. I’ll keep you updated.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 31st Mar 2024 at 10:48 PM
That COMPLETELY went downhill. Now the Bodyshop as well as SimPE won’t open AT ALL. I can’t believe it..
Mad Poster
#13 Old 1st Apr 2024 at 12:28 AM
Have you made sure all the SimPE files from the last install were cleared out?

For Bodyshop, make sure you clear the cache files (accessory + groups).

If you reinstall the game (especially a different version), make sure you first uninstall the other one, and that all the files are cleared out. Ideally also clear out the registry files. Reinstalling means you completely reset everthing, including any settings you had, so you'll likely have to set up GraphicRules and such again (remember that Bodyshop and TS2 have different GraphicRules files). If you needed any settings to run SimPE before (run as admin or some such), you'll likely need the same now.

If your game worked fine before, it's likely the issue was with the SimPE install and/or the linking to the game, and not the game itself. A reinstall rarely fixes things (at least if the game works fine, and/or if things return to default when CC is removed, in the case of errors/crashes/etc.).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Apr 2024 at 12:46 AM
I just made sure the SimPE files were cleared out before I reinstalled, and now it's working again. I guess there were some files that were missing. I had to install a version of Bodyshop that I found on Opera and it works now. The game is working just fine, but even though things are up and running again, (THANKFULLY) it still didn't solve the issue of the TXMT file blanking when I would try to commit.