Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
#2401 Old 26th Aug 2023 at 7:07 AM
I feel uncomfortable with my houses. Feel uncomfortable with enter and play the Sims 2. But yeah. Let it be.

Like your all-brick house, Scary. Octagonal house looks more like a prison. That's okay.

Oh well. Just started to feel uncomfortable with commenting on houses too.

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2402 Old 26th Aug 2023 at 9:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
Grrr...people don't read text anymore...
As I wrote in my description, I have not done much landscaping on that Lot. It's nowhere near finished and is still gonna be a while, as I think I'll finish the other one first since it is much closer to being finished. I'll post here again when either is done.

You don't like the big window? That's the main attraction. You gotta have a two-story window with a huge living room that has a high, two-story ceiling. It's bad enough that I rarely get to use those windows.

Ahaha welcome to the new generations antics, at least I read MOST of it rather than sending a meme of too much text like my uni classmates does ! Since my last time in school and when I entered university, I started with the bad habit of skipping lines and sentences without noticing
Besides an image speaks more than words, right?

Hmm I like the big window but I think it doesn't fits too much with the symmetry, it breaks too much with the old style of the building. However, if it's too much hassle to rework everything due to removing it, I think it's better to leave it anyway. I mean, think it for a moment, an old building with thick walls and not big windows in an old style... and suddenly has a two-story big window that looks modern and clashes with the original style.... Another solution would be leave the two-story window but change/remove the side windows and the windows in the third floor of that wall. I dunno honestly but my intuition tells me that something doesn't fits right, it's not a big deal though so if it's too much hassle to remove it, please leave it untouched.

And besides, Victor, please have more confidence in yourself! I'm sure you have enough skill to judge something, you're a good builder specially for exteriors ( there are many lovely houses/buildings in your victorian neighborhood )
Theorist
#2403 Old 26th Aug 2023 at 9:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Frodo1990
Hmm I like the big window but I think it doesn't fits too much with the symmetry, it breaks too much with the old style of the building. However, if it's too much hassle to rework everything due to removing it, I think it's better to leave it anyway. I mean, think it for a moment, an old building with thick walls and not big windows in an old style... and suddenly has a two-story big window that looks modern and clashes with the original style.... Another solution would be leave the two-story window but change/remove the side windows and the windows in the third floor of that wall. I dunno honestly but my intuition tells me that something doesn't fits right, it's not a big deal though so if it's too much hassle to remove it, please leave it untouched.

It's supposed to be an old building, but one that has been repeatedly renovated over the centuries. A building that has been more or less continuously occupied by the owners over the centuries.
I imagine the foundation perhaps dating back to almost the middle ages and the upper brick walls added later, perhaps after the original walls were destroyed. There's no shortage of European palaces, or even just large older houses, with some very large and tall windows and I imagine these windows to have been installed in the 1700's or 1800's.
I don't really want to add a long imaginary history to this place, as that is not what I do with my Lots. I expect anyone who downloads and plays them to create their own story.
I understand what you're saying, but I guess I just don't agree with it. I don't see a problem at all with the large window. I do appreciate your feedback.
Lab Assistant
#2404 Old 27th Aug 2023 at 11:17 PM
Nah, that's okay and thanks for appreciating the feedback. And yes, I can imagine that was like a fortress or a prison before being a house, not too familiar ( apart from images and other references) with european arquitecture but it seems that way. ( Old south-american arquitecture is way different from most of Europe, besides it's kind of difficult to find a building from the 1700s or before in Chile. Still more arquitecture from that epoque has a lot of spanish influence and in the case of Chile, there's a lot of neoclassic inspiration in some buildings and also maybe a bit of baroque in some churches )

Fun fact: The Cathedral of Santiago was designed with a simple neoclassical style in mind and for a lot of years was like that. However in the late 19th century was remodelled and they added a lot of ornamentation and even two towers to the facade. It's kinda funny how simple was the original style and how ornamented was later.
Theorist
#2405 Old 28th Aug 2023 at 1:55 AM
And yes, I can imagine that was like a fortress or a prison before being a house

Hmm, so you and Victor both kind of see a prison, or former prison. I can see it a bit too, vaguely, although I didn't at all before you two mentioned it. The fix might be as simple as changing the color of the windows, from the rust color they are now to something lighter. I was contemplating doing that anyway to lessen the CC, because right now they're a custom color. The problem is that I want the window frames to match the colors of the doors as much as possible.
That's one of the major problems with TS2, color-matching build objects.

Edit: Otoh, I kind of want it to have somewhat of a foreboding look, so the prison thing doesn't seem all bad to me. We'll see. The large brick house will take precedence for now.
Alchemist
#2406 Old 28th Aug 2023 at 10:19 PM
To me, the octagonal house resembles a large mill like this one in Amsterdam, just without all the mill stuff.

I come in peace
#2407 Old 29th Aug 2023 at 4:46 PM
Yes! The mill! That looks great with such back story.

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Theorist
#2408 Old 30th Aug 2023 at 9:25 PM
Here is my view at Lucky Smells Lumbermill from Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Lab Assistant
#2409 Old 2nd Sep 2023 at 10:46 PM Last edited by Frodo1990 : 2nd Sep 2023 at 11:08 PM.
Hmm, so you and Victor both kind of see a prison, or former prison. I can see it a bit too, vaguely, although I didn't at all before you two mentioned it. The fix might be as simple as changing the color of the windows, from the rust color they are now to something lighter. I was contemplating doing that anyway to lessen the CC, because right now they're a custom color. The problem is that I want the window frames to match the colors of the doors as much as possible.
That's one of the major problems with TS2, color-matching build objects.

Edit: Otoh, I kind of want it to have somewhat of a foreboding look, so the prison thing doesn't seem all bad to me. We'll see. The large brick house will take precedence for now.

Hmm how about this? The tower is the remain left of an old fortress/prison, most of the original building was abandoned and falling apart, when a luxury realtor saved one of the old towers and repurposed it in a nice house. Originally a prison for any person undesired by the goverment, the suffering and gloominess of the place, made the inhabitants of the most near village avoid the place like a plague, even after a lot of years of being abandoned. People said the place was haunted and cursed and nobody in their own sane mind would like to visit and live in such doomed place, but that didn't stop Sim Luxury States to take the place and remodel the tower in a fine modern house, afterall they must be just delusions or superstitions of the past, right?

So please, call us today and buy this superb piece of history and don't pay mind to these baseless rumors of such country-bumpkins!

Pd: Sim Luxury States is not responsable and unrelated to any kind of supernatural phenomena, screams at night, ghosts, the sounds of chains, water leakings coming out of nowhere among a long list of unexplicable things told by the country-bumpkins of the nearest town. Guide visits can be scheduled but please refrain from bringing unsavory charlatans like mediums, exorcists, and so on... We reassure you this place is NOT haunted so please stop spamming our phones and visits by such baseless claims made by ignorant minds!

Hmm honestly I can't judge it cause I don't know anything about the original place so I need some references or about of info about it. Regardless of that, maybe try another wooden wall that looks more like old wood or more suited for an old industrial lumbermill? Also use another paint texture for the entrance doors of the wooden wall, maybe try steel?

Also what is the white building at the back? I think needs to match a bit more the rest of the building, maybe change the paint and maybe the structure? I'm not sure how though.

Also I think needs a few windows in some strategical or good-looking locations? Also try to add more decorations ( pipes, small sheeds attached to the main lumbermill, etc..) or things that interrumpt the rectangle of the facade. Hmm what more? I don't mind the high roofs but maybe make it smaller and try maybe making them like the images I attached? ( specially the red wooden one, the roof of that model is quite nice and I think you can easily replicate it in unmodded ts2 )

For last, maybe make the lumbermill big doors a bit smaller? Not sure though and you may you need to use a fake foundation made by CFE to make it smaller? How about this:....?

----------------- Fourth floor ( normal wall height: it may contain windows and another things, it may look like as a second floor )

------------------Third floor ( foundation height: it mainly function to look like a frieze )

------------------Second floor ( foundation height: just a copy of the first floor )

-------------------First floor ( normal wall height )
Screenshots
Theorist
#2410 Old 3rd Sep 2023 at 1:06 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 3rd Sep 2023 at 7:42 AM.
Hmm how about this? The tower is the remain left of an old fortress/prison, most of the original building was abandoned and falling apart, when a luxury realtor saved one of the old towers and repurposed it in a nice house. Originally a prison for any person undesired by the goverment, the suffering and gloominess of the place, made the inhabitants of the most near village avoid the place like a plague, even after a lot of years of being abandoned. People said the place was haunted and cursed and nobody in their own sane mind would like to visit and live in such doomed place, but that didn't stop Sim Luxury States to take the place and remodel the tower in a fine modern house, afterall they must be just delusions or superstitions of the past, right?

So please, call us today and buy this superb piece of history and don't pay mind to these baseless rumors of such country-bumpkins!

Pd: Sim Luxury States is not responsable and unrelated to any kind of supernatural phenomena, screams at night, ghosts, the sounds of chains, water leakings coming out of nowhere among a long list of unexplicable things told by the country-bumpkins of the nearest town. Guide visits can be scheduled but please refrain from bringing unsavory charlatans like mediums, exorcists, and so on... We reassure you this place is NOT haunted so please stop spamming our phones and visits by such baseless claims made by ignorant minds!

Assuming that's all directed at me, all I can say is what I've said previously, namely, that I don't concern myself with "back stories" concerning my Lots. Those are things for players to imagine and create. That's what the game is all about.

Regardless, there won't be much happening at all with my Lots in the near future, since my CD drive is no longer recognizing my Sims CD. It did last week, with some trouble, but not now anymore at all. Similar problem with a few other CD's, but not all. My old Railroad Tycoon II Platinum CD still works.
If someone has any suggestions on how I could get my CD drive to recognize my Sims CD, I'm all ears. Well, it's probably a DVD...whatever.

I suspect I just need a new computer, especially since I'm still running Win 7. Then I'll have to deal with getting the game to run under Win 11, which I'm not looking forward to.
Lab Assistant
#2411 Old 3rd Sep 2023 at 1:33 AM
Assuming that's all directed at me, all I can say is what I've said previously, namely, that I don't concern myself with "back stories" concerning my Lots. Those are things for players to imagine and create. That's what the game is all about.

Regardless, there won't be much happening at all with my Lots in the near future, since my CD drive is no longer recognizing my Sims CD. It did last week, with some trouble, but not now anymore at all. Similar problem with a few other CD's, but not all. My old Railroad Tycoon II Platinum CD still works.
If someone has any suggestions on how I could get my CD drive to recognize my Sims CD, I'm all ears. Well, it's probably a DVD...whatever.

I suspect I just need a new computer, especially since I'm still running Win 7. Then I'll have to deal with getting the game run under Win 11, which I'm not looking forward to.

That's too bad , I wish I could help but I dunno anything about it

Hmm, I don't think it's too bad to make the game run under Win11? At least I can say that I can run it well on Windows 10 using RPClauncher or something like that. However I can't have as much CC I would want cause my game would crash ( It has a limit of how many new meshes can add without crashing to desktop ) I think the only thing I HATE about windows 11 is the interface and the UI to the point of returning to Windows 10 after trying W11 for a couple of hours
Test Subject
#2412 Old 3rd Sep 2023 at 2:01 AM
Checking out the different threads on MTS for the first time out of curiosity and this one piqued my interest as not only being the most recently replied thread so was at the top but also because it's about design ahahah

I actually started replaying The Sims 2 again since last year whilst scavenging for the full PC OST and made a post of it too on Reddit uploading the full OST online but I digress. What made me really play this again was that I saw tutorials for underwater basements and my first thought was "what if.....UNDERWATER GARAGE" and am unsure if anyone here has tried it but Imma show it anyways

I started making a house that revolved around the underwater garage and kinda just left it after a while when making CC Maxis-match LP record cover arts took over in interest (I have CC of it on my page and am making another 20 plus of them too currently) but here's some of the screenshots below I took last year from it which could inspire some people as well :>

Maybe even one day.....I'll make a no CC underwater house ahahahah
Tho I feel like it'd be hard to not include CC because someone on Reddit suggested this underwater fish decoration that was so perfect I had to include it ahahah but we'll see. I do think tho the bridge will be a very very good feature I got good at to try making into something else in the future too!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2413 Old 3rd Sep 2023 at 12:12 PM
my CD drive is no longer recognizing my Sims CD. It did last week, with some trouble, but not now anymore at all.

Are you running all EPs and SPs? You could use a NoCD modded exe- there are plenty out there, or I could send you one if you like.
Theorist
#2414 Old 3rd Sep 2023 at 6:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Are you running all EPs and SPs? You could use a NoCD modded exe- there are plenty out there, or I could send you one if you like.

Yes, I'm running all EPs and SPs. My base game is Sims 2 Double Deluxe, but I also have the three expansion collections and I need to use one of them, the Fun with Pets Collection, to actually run the game because it includes the Mansion & Garden Stuff expansion.

Thanks for the offer, and I will keep it in mind, but I'm getting to close to just buying a new computer to replace my old one which was build in 2008. It might happen as early as this week.
Forum Resident
#2415 Old 11th Sep 2023 at 8:18 PM
Yes, I'm running all EPs and SPs. My base game is Sims 2 Double Deluxe, but I also have the three expansion collections and I need to use one of them, the Fun with Pets Collection, to actually run the game because it includes the Mansion & Garden Stuff expansion.

Thanks for the offer, and I will keep it in mind, but I'm getting to close to just buying a new computer to replace my old one which was build in 2008. It might happen as early as this week.

2008 now thats impressive! Have fun with your new build!

C.T.HOLKO88
Theorist
#2416 Old 12th Sep 2023 at 8:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TudorMan23
2008 now thats impressive! Have fun with your new build!

Actually, I will try upgrading to Win10, instead of getting a new computer. My current computer was almost top of the line when it was built in 2008 and according to specifications should have no problem whatsoever running Win10. Unfortunately, the free Win10 download from Microsoft keeps giving me an error, so I just ordered a Win10 upgrade disc off Ebay for about $10, so hopefully that will work. If it doesn't work, I'll just buy a complete Win10 package, which can be had for about $50-$60. Still far better than $1,400 for a completely new computer, and I'll happily rumble on with my current computer at least until October 2025 when support for Win10 ends, and probably beyond. Heck, I've been using Win7 for three and a half years since they ended support for it in early 2020 and I'm only now running into issues.
All the games I play are as old as Sims 2, or older, so there's no issues there. Even one or two newer ones that I might be interested in run on 10-year-old engines, so there shouldn't be a problem with those either. As a gamer, I've never felt the urge to play the newest and latest.

Anyway, I don't mean to clutter up this thread with computer talk. I'll be back when I have everything running. Hopefully.
Forum Resident
#2417 Old 16th Sep 2023 at 7:40 PM
Actually, I will try upgrading to Win10, instead of getting a new computer. My current computer was almost top of the line when it was built in 2008 and according to specifications should have no problem whatsoever running Win10. Unfortunately, the free Win10 download from Microsoft keeps giving me an error, so I just ordered a Win10 upgrade disc off Ebay for about $10, so hopefully that will work. If it doesn't work, I'll just buy a complete Win10 package, which can be had for about $50-$60. Still far better than $1,400 for a completely new computer, and I'll happily rumble on with my current computer at least until October 2025 when support for Win10 ends, and probably beyond. Heck, I've been using Win7 for three and a half years since they ended support for it in early 2020 and I'm only now running into issues.
All the games I play are as old as Sims 2, or older, so there's no issues there. Even one or two newer ones that I might be interested in run on 10-year-old engines, so there shouldn't be a problem with those either. As a gamer, I've never felt the urge to play the newest and latest.

Anyway, I don't mean to clutter up this thread with computer talk. I'll be back when I have everything running. Hopefully.

well Good Luck on your endevours! I hope all works out well!

C.T.HOLKO88
Forum Resident
#2418 Old 23rd Sep 2023 at 9:21 PM
Ive been working on this Gilded Age inspired townhouse! Im reaslly liking how its turning out! Love to know how I coud improve it

C.T.HOLKO88
Lab Assistant
#2419 Old 24th Sep 2023 at 2:44 AM
I like it however I think you need to delete some columns and leave the essential ones, also I think you are using too many dormers, I think you should eliminate some to not make the mansard roof look too crowded. Also I think the backtower maybe has too many windows, maybe delete a few of them? I think that's all mostly? Good luck!
Alchemist
#2420 Old 24th Sep 2023 at 9:41 PM
I agree with Frodo. Though maybe you could use skinnier, decorative 'non-supporting' columns for some variation instead. I'd also suggest to use a 2-tile wide staircase instead of single tile, or maybe add more throughout the house. It looks huge and sims will probably have an easier time navigating

I come in peace
#2421 Old 28th Sep 2023 at 6:05 PM
Thanks for the input! i did what you guys suggested! it does look much better!

C.T.HOLKO88
Forum Resident
#2422 Old 7th Oct 2023 at 4:02 PM
I need to say all of our building/ designing skills have greatrly imporoved over the years and incredibly proud of all of you ! Keep up the great work!

C.T.HOLKO88
Forum Resident
#2423 Old 30th Oct 2023 at 1:00 AM
whats new everyone?

C.T.HOLKO88
Lab Assistant
#2424 Old 2nd Nov 2023 at 11:49 PM
Nothing too much yet sadly, currently rebuilding my cc folder and it seems I'm gonna never end doing it ;-;.... Apart from that, playing a lot of rpgs nowadays, I wish my PC had 1 TB of space so I could have ts2, ts3 and ts4 apart from other games
Alchemist
#2425 Old 9th Nov 2023 at 11:43 AM
Nothing too much yet sadly, currently rebuilding my cc folder and it seems I'm gonna never end doing it ;-;.... Apart from that, playing a lot of rpgs nowadays, I wish my PC had 1 TB of space so I could have ts2, ts3 and ts4 apart from other games

Harddrives have become rather cheap over the years. Internal ones are between 40-60€ and external between 20-40€. Depending on your location it'll vary slightly but it's not impossible.

I come in peace

Page 97 of 98