Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 4:30 AM
Default I just can't do it
Now, I was gonna keep this problem to myself, but it's gotten to the point where I can't make anything worthy of uploading.

I've tried build tutorials, floor plans(which never come out the way they're supposed to), my own imagination. Nothing seems to work, all my houses come out looking generic and boring.

How or where do you guys get your inspirations from?
It might be just me, but I'm a creative person. I just can't seem to do it with the sims and it's kinda bumming me out since I only got the sims for the building aspect.

http://www.youtube.com/user/iBuildd
Click, click; does the trick.
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 5:24 AM
I would suggest you post one of your houses in the Feedback forum (*with* screenshots). It's kind of difficult to tell you something useful without seeing what you're trying to do.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 5:58 AM
Would a video work as well?
'Cause that's what I'm working with atm.

http://www.youtube.com/user/iBuildd
Click, click; does the trick.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 23rd Oct 2009 at 3:37 PM
I look up houses on the internet since I'm not creative. There are plenty houses on all the real estate sites. You can search anything from plain, affordable single family homes to huge mansions. In most cases, several photos are provided and sometimes even floorplans so it's your choice to either copy a house or let yourself be inspired by something you like about a house.
Scholar
#5 Old 23rd Oct 2009 at 4:56 PM
If your issue is a design one, why don't you look at some interior design sites for inspiration. If you are following the plans to the letter then they will be good. I sometimes don't like everything about my lots but other people love them, it's hard to critisise your own work.
Test Subject
#6 Old 30th Oct 2009 at 7:42 PM
Check out this site for links to real house plans. Most of these sites include pictures of the house and the floor plans. All free to view.

It's good to get inspiration from, but when you look for ideas, think what is possible to create in the game. Some of these homes look stunning, but you realize that it's impossible to recreated in the sims. However if you tweak a good looking house to what is possible you end up with something good.

Also plan out the size at the start, a large floor tile is about 3ft wide. You want something that not "basic building". For example if you want a chimney - do not use the in game brick look. It's terrible. There is a way to build a wall as your chimney and still have smoke come out - there are tutorials on this.

You want something with a wow look, it can be hard to achieve, but with the right planning your can pull it off. I did in my last upload and very proud of it.