Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#151 Old 18th Nov 2015 at 12:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
I wonder if those evils and crimes are actually performed by sens... probably those sens that are unhappy living next to the industry or garbage landfill. Also, such unhealthy way of living would require sickness/healthcare system.

Crime is actually being commited by sens, unlike SimCity 4 and earlier, where crimes are simply a number.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#152 Old 18th Nov 2015 at 9:36 PM
Ok. I have finally learned how to create face masks in blender. I may be doing sens. Would you like them overly simplistic, simplistic and cartoony, stylized and cartoony, realistical, stylized and realistical?

I think of having lots of different assets (noses, eyes, mouths, faces, ears... ) creating various combinations of sens. In this case cartoony look would be most suitable as it would be less demanding and pleasing to look at while still fulfilling the asset criteria.

I've been doing this whole day. It is my first standalone work in blender:

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#153 Old 19th Nov 2015 at 12:49 AM
Ok. I have finally learned how to create face masks in blender. I may be doing sens. Would you like them overly simplistic, simplistic and cartoony, stylized and cartoony, realistical, stylized and realistical?

I think of having lots of different assets (noses, eyes, mouths, faces, ears... ) creating various combinations of sens. In this case cartoony look would be most suitable as it would be less demanding and pleasing to look at while still fulfilling the asset criteria.

Jesus christ, that face is scary, I think you put a little too much detail around the nose and mouth areas, but still having an unrealistic head shape. I think cartoony and stylized would work the best.
Top Secret Researcher
#154 Old 19th Nov 2015 at 2:10 AM

Well, you're all set for a Halloween expansion. Or a creepypasta game.

I think the face looks too long and skinny (and creepy!) to be realistic. Let me grab some reference pics of the human skull:

Those two should show off the proportions well enough. If you're going for realistic, then the head needs to be around the dimensions of those skulls. If it's cartoony, then you should probably aim for something more rounded than the real skull.

As it is, the width of the face should be roughly between 75% and 100% of the length. Yours looks like it would be half the length with the rest of the head included. The dome of the head appears to be too small compared to the rest, since it rounds at too steep an angle - a skull small enough for that dome looks like it would have the jaw somewhere around the eyes of Creepy Face. It also might just be me, but I think the facial features are a little too spread out, especially around the mouth.

Anyway, you might be able to fix Creepy Face just by scaling back the length of the face, or by making the rest of the face wider and making the dome larger. This would probably mean readjusting the facial features, as well.

My MTS writing group, The Story Board
Top Secret Researcher
#155 Old 19th Nov 2015 at 8:00 AM
Yeah, It's a bit too narrow looking, and a bit prolonged. Some stretching over the X axis would do the trick (also, parts around the mouth and nose are too steep). I was just testing some things and this face is not part of what I plan to make. Like I said, this is my first work in blender ever (or in any 3D program except SketchUp). I still need to get the character design on paper before I start making the assets in blender. It's going to be though, but I think I might be able to finish some assets till new year. Right now, I'm busy fixing my grades.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#156 Old 19th Nov 2015 at 8:25 AM
Yeah, It's a bit too narrow looking, and a bit prolonged. Some stretching over the X axis would do the trick (also, parts around the mouth and nose are too steep). I was just testing some things and this face is not part of what I plan to make. Like I said, this is my first work in blender ever (or in any 3D program except SketchUp). I still need to get the character design on paper before I start making the assets in blender. It's going to be though, but I think I might be able to finish some assets till new year. Right now, I'm busy fixing my grades.

Since your model got me thinking, what should they look like? Too much detail, like Sims 3 detail, is way too much for a distance that's only seen from far away.
So browsed the internet for inspiration and I made this, based on a picture with relatively minimalist and cutesy characters.

(Note that this is what I want them to look like, not an actual rigged model.)
Top Secret Researcher
#157 Old 19th Nov 2015 at 8:43 AM
I think of going for something like newer ScoobyDoo cartoons ( I especially like Freddy from Crystal Cove cartoon). That's between detailed and simple, which makes it perfect. I also love how Planet Coaster characters look like. I'm going to play with styles later.

Also, I'm saving CreepyFace and making him eyes next... Just for the sake of fun. It can also find place in this game as some kind of creepy mascot or logo.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#158 Old 19th Nov 2015 at 8:46 AM
I think of going for something like newer ScoobyDoo cartoons. That's between detailed and simple, which makes it perfect. I also love how Planet Coaster characters look like. I'm going to play with styles later.

Also, I'm saving CreepyFace and making him eyes next... Just for the sake of fun. It can also find place in this game as some kind of creepy mascot or logo.

Perhaps when the game crashes, CreepyFace would appear when red eyes, and evil laughing?

Also, the newest Scooby Doo's animation looks terrible. See for yourself.

Top Secret Researcher
#159 Old 19th Nov 2015 at 8:50 AM
That looks like a bad parody on many of the latest Disney and Cartoon Network cartoons. I did not think of the newest one, but Crystal Cove one. That one look stylized but minimalistic.
Top Secret Researcher
#160 Old 19th Nov 2015 at 8:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmythesim
Perhaps when the game crashes, CreepyFace would appear when red eyes, and evil laughing?

No, put him in a separate version of the same. Make it so that that game allows you to have maybe half an hour of normal gameplay, but then a strange figure with that face appears on the borders of the city. It will talk to the player, saying things like 'I know what you did, you thief'. And then if the player continues playing, the population of the city will start to disappear. Little Sens lying in pools of red will start to appear on the sidewalks. If there are newsfeeds in the game, they will begin to report fear and mass murders.

And then, when the population hits zero, CreepyFace will destroy the city and confront the player directly. After that, every time the game comes up, CreepyFace will flash onscreen accompanied by a very loud noise (bonus points if you can figure out how to make even a muted computer make this noise) and it will close immediately.

Then, leak that version of the game to all the pirate sites.

My MTS writing group, The Story Board
Top Secret Researcher
#161 Old 19th Nov 2015 at 9:05 AM
This kind of look with a bit less detailed hair:

And a nose.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#162 Old 19th Nov 2015 at 1:43 PM Last edited by simmythesim : 20th Nov 2015 at 5:53 PM.
Sens now have walking animations! Wordpress Blog
DevBlog # ??

EDIT: I've been working on a top secret feature that's fundamental to core gameplay, let me say this it is DIFFICULT, that's why for the pre-pre alpha, I'm working on a simple system that is decent enough, with code that is easy to understand.

EDIT 2: I'm not only working on not one- but TWO features that are incredibly important to gameplay, one is R*** **a****** and the other is **v***.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#163 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 9:13 AM
Sorry for the lack of updates, I'm working on a new, well new feature for this game, it's road placing! This will allow you to place roads. Stay tuned for more info soon.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#164 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 6:21 PM
Road Placing Blog and Video- Really really work in progress, as I've only been working on this for less than 24 hours.
WordPress
Top Secret Researcher
#165 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 8:43 PM
You deffinitely need a better (more dense) grid. Grid system never fails.
Top Secret Researcher
#166 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 11:19 PM
Some quick sketch concepts of male faces...

I actually tried to do these, but It seems that nose and mouth need to be part of the same mesh, not a separate asset. It's a lot of work to do so I may pass on it for now.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#167 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 2:04 AM
Some quick sketch concepts of male faces...

I actually tried to do these, but It seems that nose and mouth need to be part of the same mesh, not a separate asset. It's a lot of work to do so I may pass on it for now.

Wow, good job! I am a pathetic artist, and I can't do stuff more than simple stick drawings, keep going!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#168 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 3:38 PM
Quick thingy of the day, I refactored the road spawning code so it wouldn't repeat the same code over and over again. Previously, it looked like this -

Code:
    if ((PollutionScript.Road[x.x, x.z + 2].Road == 1) && PollutionScript.Road[x.x - 1, x.z].Road == 0 && PollutionScript.Road[x.x, x.z].Road == 1 && PollutionScript.Road[x.x, x.z].occupied == false && PollutionScript.Road[x.x, x.z - 1].occupied == false && PollutionScript.Road[x.x, x.z + 1].Road == 1 && PollutionScript.Road[x.x, x.z + 2].occupied == false)

Jeez, that looks horrible, right? And this was repeated around 4 times,

Now they are broken up to categories, so road up left and up right roads share a lot of the same checks, while road down left and down right also share the same checks.
So now it looks like:

Code:
if(x is x and y is y)
{
(road up left and up right code)

if(condition this road needs that isn't shared)
{
spawn function
}

else if(condition this road needs that isn't shared)
{
spawn function
}

}

(If you're wondering why Roads are stored in the Pollution Script, it's because it used to only store Pollution values, as I added zoning and road placing, I stuck them in there because they all store data about the grid).
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#169 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 12:40 PM
I finished refactoring all the current code to be less repetitive, and now all that's left to do is implement road intersections. As you can see, the places where the road intersections are supposed to be, aren't occupied by any road pieces. Video
Mad Poster
#170 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 3:59 PM
I finished refactoring all the current code to be less repetitive, and now all that's left to do is implement road intersections. As you can see, the places where the road intersections are supposed to be, aren't occupied by any road pieces. Video

Not trying to be rude or anything, but I think it'd be best if you didn't post updates so often. I think we're all glad to see progress being made, but if you post updates on every little feature you implement, it just ends up looking unprofessional and chaotic. Maybe do it weekly? You get a lot more stuff worth mentioning done in a week.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Top Secret Researcher
#171 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 6:33 PM
I think that he's doing it in order to give himself motivation. You gave up on texture work because it was too complex. Simmythesim can give up anytime too, but what boosts him is probably love towards what he's doing and the fact that he can share his work with everyone, so he does it quite often. Yet, that way, this thread will become crowded soon, and unrelated forum is not the best way to post stuff about the game in progress. The old forum was a great idea. Too bad it got deleted.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#172 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 12:39 AM Last edited by simmythesim : 26th Nov 2015 at 3:57 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Grijze Pilion
Not trying to be rude or anything, but I think it'd be best if you didn't post updates so often. I think we're all glad to see progress being made, but if you post updates on every little feature you implement, it just ends up looking unprofessional and chaotic. Maybe do it weekly? You get a lot more stuff worth mentioning done in a week.

Hmm, I wanted for updates to not have a huge gap of several weeks between them, but I probably am posting too much, everyday is probably a bit overkill. Fine, weekly updates it is.

Updates from now on will be posted on Monday, with nothing* in between.

*nothing major, that is.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#173 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 3:47 PM
Sneak peek at the new road building tools! (Sorry for the rather shaky road placement)

Mad Poster
#174 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 4:58 PM
Sneak peek at the new road building tools! (Sorry for the rather shaky road placement)

Ooh, that looks really nice! I'm quite a fan of curved roads, but it's really quite unreasonable to expect them here. Curved road placement must be a total bitch to code.

Updates from now on will be posted on Monday, with nothing major in between.

If road placement isn't major, I don't know what is!

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#175 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Grijze Pilion
Ooh, that looks really nice! I'm quite a fan of curved roads, but it's really quite unreasonable to expect them here. Curved road placement must be a total bitch to code.

If road placement isn't major, I don't know what is!

Well, it is a sneak peek, as there are some bugs that need to be removed, before I can call the whole thing "done".

Page 7 of 9