Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Mar 2024 at 8:43 AM Last edited by indefinite : 19th Apr 2024 at 11:55 AM. Reason: found a solution, i was a dummy

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Help with getting hobby lots to show up? [SOLVED]
Hello!

I recently got meetme2theriver's stealth sub-hoods in my game and for some reason the hobby lots are not showing up. I added the hobby sub-hood as told and deleted it right after, and it didn't help for some reason. I tried to add it again (don't really remember why I tried that..) and now I've come to the realization that adding it twice obviously generated the hobby instructors twice too... so I also need help with that. I guess getting rid of the doubles should be the first step.

As of the missing hobby lots, I found this thread where Mootilda offered to add the lots manually with SimPE. Still, I'm not very familiar with SimPE, I mainly use it to change household names and that's about it. I'm not confident enough to do it on my own as that often just leads to more problems :P

According to my understanding of Mootilda's reply, I have to add the lots in SimPE first and then add the sub-hood, then delete it right away? So that's why I figured I should get rid of the generated sub-hood sims before I do anything else. Please tell me if I've misunderstood that, that happens quite often

So, if anyone is up for the task, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Edit: Hello again! I had to reinstall my game and somehow lost all my mods etc in the process (I'm almost done getting everything back, I just got my clean templates installed). So, now that I got my stealth sub-hoods replaced.... I finally realized what I did wrong. In this tutorial on how to disable stealth sub-hoods, I simply missed this little piece of text: "* The FT and AL stealth 'hoods actually do have a function. The FT one contains the "secret hobby lots" and the AL one has the "secret good/bad witch lots". So if you would like to keep these, get empty templates for those two rather than disabling them." Now this particular text is in bold so I have absolutely NO clue how I missed that before.

TLDR; I was being an idiot and had disabled the hobbies and magic sub-hoods along with the others Now I know to let them be when I disable the others
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 2nd Mar 2024 at 11:56 PM
Have your Sims actually gained access to the hobby lots by getting the membership cards? The lots are built in to the stealth hood and meetme's empty versions don't remove them, so you should still be able to access them as normal if your Sim has the membership. Adding the extra hood and removing it only adds the custom hobby mavens, not the lots themselves.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Mar 2024 at 8:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Christophee
Have your Sims actually gained access to the hobby lots by getting the membership cards? The lots are built in to the stealth hood and meetme's empty versions don't remove them, so you should still be able to access them as normal if your Sim has the membership. Adding the extra hood and removing it only adds the custom hobby mavens, not the lots themselves.

Yes, I remember trying it with Cleo Shikibu's film & literature membership. First I added the sub-hood and deleted it right after, and when that didn't work I added it again and loaded Cleo's household to try. Still nothing. Couldn't travel to the subhood as it was telling me that there are no lots to go to.

So now I have no hobby lots and two of each hobby instructor :P

For now I think I'll safely delete the instructors in SimPE and then try to figure out how to add the lots manually in SimPE.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 3rd Mar 2024 at 12:33 PM
If you cannot access the hobby lots then I assume the game hasn't generated the Hobbies stealth hood, or maybe you've lost it somehow. If that's the case then adding hobby instructors to the game isn't going to help. Others will know better than me how to deal with that.

When you say you're using 'meetme2theriver's stealth sub-hoods', do you mean you've replaced the regular stealth hoods with Jawusa's empty ones (I mistakenly said they were meetme's before), or are you just trying to use the sub-hoods you add in-game then delete? The sub-hoods you're told to add and delete are simply used to add some of the Sims which usually come with the stealth hoods, but would be missing from the empty versions. Assuming you are using these empty stealth hoods, are you sure you've added them correctly?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Mar 2024 at 3:56 PM
If you cannot access the hobby lots then I assume the game hasn't generated the Hobbies stealth hood, or maybe you've lost it somehow. If that's the case then adding hobby instructors to the game isn't going to help. Others will know better than me how to deal with that.

When you say you're using 'meetme2theriver's stealth sub-hoods', do you mean you've replaced the regular stealth hoods with Jawusa's empty ones (I mistakenly said they were meetme's before), or are you just trying to use the sub-hoods you add in-game then delete? The sub-hoods you're told to add and delete are simply used to add some of the Sims which usually come with the stealth hoods, but would be missing from the empty versions. Assuming you are using these empty stealth hoods, are you sure you've added them correctly?

I did correctly replace the hoods with Jawusa's first but then I changed my mind and switched back to meetme's clean templates and decided to add the family bin families by using meetme's stealth sub-hoods. I suppose it is possible that I messed up somewhere as the whole process was quite chaotic. I did use Jawusa's hobby & magic clean stealth sub-hoods if I remember correctly since I'm pretty sure that's what meetme instructed to do.. but I might have misunderstood something.

Sorry for the late reply btw!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 4th Mar 2024 at 5:56 PM
I think meetme recommends using those two empty stealth hoods if you're disabling the other stealth hoods entirely, because you'll still need those hoods to access the lots within them. If you're using meetme's clean stealth hoods and you want to keep all the Sims that come with them, then you don't need any of the empty ones and you won't need meetme's 'stealth as sub-hoods' in future because you'll already have those Sims in your game.

As for fixing your current game, have you actually tried following any of the steps in the thread you linked? That should at least give you some hobby lots you can access.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Mar 2024 at 2:16 PM
I think meetme recommends using those two empty stealth hoods if you're disabling the other stealth hoods entirely, because you'll still need those hoods to access the lots within them. If you're using meetme's clean stealth hoods and you want to keep all the Sims that come with them, then you don't need any of the empty ones and you won't need meetme's 'stealth as sub-hoods' in future because you'll already have those Sims in your game.

As for fixing your current game, have you actually tried following any of the steps in the thread you linked? That should at least give you some hobby lots you can access.

Sorry for the extremely late reply. I didn't try everything just yet, but I did try Mootilda's Hobbies stealth sub-hood but to no avail.

Also, I realized that not only did I place meetme's stealths in my install location, I also put them in the Neighborhoods folder. Was I supposed to choose between the two locations, or does it even matter?
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 21st Mar 2024 at 12:50 PM
They go in the install location, where meetme tells you to put them, then the game adds those versions of the stealth hoods instead of the default ones when it loads up a new hood. If you have a pre-existing hood, that will still have whatever stealth hoods it loaded with. They're certainly not designed to go in your Neighborhoods folder and I don't know what putting them in there would do.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Mar 2024 at 7:23 PM
They go in the install location, where meetme tells you to put them, then the game adds those versions of the stealth hoods instead of the default ones when it loads up a new hood. If you have a pre-existing hood, that will still have whatever stealth hoods it loaded with. They're certainly not designed to go in your Neighborhoods folder and I don't know what putting them in there would do.

Sorry, I should've clarified that I put the stealth hoods in the install locations as instructed. What I meant is that I put meetme's clean Maxis templates both in the install location as well as the Neighborhoods folder.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Mar 2024 at 7:28 PM

As for this, the reason I've installed the stealth subhoods is mainly to get rid of the bin families and to be able to add those manually when I want to play with them. Must've done something wrong while installing them, so I'll probably have to start over the whole process eventually
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th Apr 2024 at 12:04 PM
@Christophee I'm pleased to let you know that I found exactly what I did wrong before, I basically followed this tutorial on how to disable stealth sub-hoods and disabled the hobbies and magic sub-hoods along with the others despite meetme's very clear note about disabling those two specifically, in bold might I add. Good thing that I had to reinstall my game so now I know not to make the same mistake again this time.

Thanks for all of your help and insights though, I definitely learned a lot while trying to wrap my head around this whole thing! I salute you!
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 19th Apr 2024 at 12:12 PM
It was my pleasure. I'm glad you managed to figure it out.