Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Mar 2023 at 9:13 PM
Default Crashing the game
I'm new to TS2 modding (other than making some paintings way back when). I decided to edit the texture of a custom object. I read several tutorials, got super confused, and ultimately this is what I did:

- Opened the .package in SimPE - Changed the GUID using the method seen here: https://www.simfansuk.com/wp/genera...-without-simpe/
- Exported the textures, edited them, imported them back in
- Changed the catalog and file name, etc.

I committed all the changes made in each step.

When I tried to place it in my testing hood, I just couldn't. Trying to open the catalog category where it was supposed to be gave me an error message saying the application had crashed and would terminate. I have NO IDEA where I went wrong. Are there any restrictions I should keep in mind when editing the textures? Any limitations on file names that could cause issues? I feel like I must have missed something but I can't figure out what.

Sorry if this is obvious. Thank you!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Mar 2023 at 10:46 PM
Do you want to edit the texture of the mesh, and not keep the original texture?
- Export the texture in the TXTR, edit it, import as PNG (best result with DXT3 or 5, using the Nvidia DDS plugin)
- Commit/save
(Don't change the GUID, it's not necessary, and if there are other recolors those won't work. Don't do "fix integrity" or "Fix TGI" or any of that - If you do those steps where you're not supposed to, that's often what cause objects to crash. You can do changes like editing the description and prices)

Do you want to recolor the object?
- Go to Object Workshop (SimPE pluign, if it's not showing, go to "Window" at the top and pick it form the options).
- "open..." and open the file you want to recolor (needs to be a recolorable mesh - if it has a GMDC and a MMAT, it's likely to be one).
- choose "recolor" from the options.
- Export the texture in the TXTR, edit it, import as PNG (best result with DXT3 or 5, using the Nvidia DDS plugin)
- Commit/save

Do you want to make a clone of the object that shows up next to the old one?
- Similar to recoloring, but choose "clone" instead.
- Here you also need to change the GUID, description, etc.

Also, which box did you put the GUID in? There are five boxes, and when you change the GUID you should ONLY change the one at the top, between the "commit" and "update" button. Ignore the four boxes at the bottom.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Mar 2023 at 1:06 AM
Thank you! I changed the GUID in the first box and chose the MMAT update option. I have no idea where I went wrong there.

Making overwriting recolours or "regular" recolours work, but making a new object using its own texture doesn't seem to be working. I'm guessing I messed up when I trying to make it a separate file, somewhere.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 25th Mar 2023 at 2:20 AM
If that's what you did, it shouldn't be enough to make the game crash.

Sometimes if a file has been changed, the cache files can cause crashes if they haven't been deleted before starting up the game. Having multiple copies of the file (old and new) could possibly also have caused it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Mar 2023 at 4:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If that's what you did, it shouldn't be enough to make the game crash.

Sometimes if a file has been changed, the cache files can cause crashes if they haven't been deleted before starting up the game. Having multiple copies of the file (old and new) could possibly also have caused it.

Ah, that could be it, then. Thank you so much!