Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 5:33 AM
Default Whats Your Favourite Video Game Besides The Sims!
Besides The Sims Whats Your Favorite Video Game of All Time?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 9:50 AM
Fave flight simulation game: LucasArts' Tie Fighter, Collector's CD-ROM
Fave RPG: Squaresoft's Final Fantasy VIII
Fave platformer: Nintendo's Super Mario World
Fave PC adventure: Any of LucasArt's adventure games
Fave console adventure: Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past
Fave simulation: The Sims 2. SC3KU for runner-up

I have to get to work now, so I am cutting it out :D

If you want to download my Sims 3 pets, click here and then go to my Studio. To see images of all my pets, click here.
#3 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 2:47 PM
Fable The Lost Chapters.
X-Men Legends 2.
The Movies.

Oh yeah, and...
Ragnarok Online.
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 6:10 PM
Im a sporty type of guy so im gonna say my favourite game is:
Madden 2006 i love my Madden
MarioKart 64 and Goldeneye 007 were great when i was younger too
For super Nintendo i loved the game called Final Fight people probaly never heard of it or remember it but i loved it hahaha!!

Ohh yeah and i like WWF Wrestlemania aswell!
Moderator of Camera Models
retired moderator
#5 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 9:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Freelance Wolf
Fave flight simulation game: LucasArts' Tie Fighter, Collector's CD-ROM
Fave RPG: Squaresoft's Final Fantasy VIII
Fave platformer: Nintendo's Super Mario World
Fave (true) adventure: Any of LucasArt's adventure games
Fave console adventure: Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past
Fave simulation: The Sims 2. SC3KU for runner-up

I have to get to work now, so I am cutting it out :D

Now now Freelance, you aren't allowed to get anal about the definition of
true' adventure and at the same time call Final Fantasy VIII an RPG! :P

Just to put your mind at ease Froandpick, Final Fight was an exceptionally popular game in the arcades, most people old enough will have played it if they played games. And you're right, it is a blast.

*** Games Journalist with the magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper ***

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
Test Subject
#6 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 10:15 PM
Black and White
Final Fantasy Tactics
Katari Damacy ( I have the PsP version it still rocks)
Phantom Kingdom
Wan.. I mean Shadow of the Colossus
hhhm Lumines (254100 score)

Oh and the rest are typical CRPG
Arcanum
Baldurs series
Fallout 1 and 2 (being a prostitute addict was ever this funny)
KOTOR 1 and 2 (dark side!)
Jade Empire (kungfu maddnes)

There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written.

Oscar Wilde
(1854 - 1900)
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 11:14 PM
Final Fantasy X
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy X-2
Digimon World II (Okay, maybe not anymore, but when I was smaller I loved that game so much it was creepy)
Animal Crossing
Okage: Shadow King
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 21st Dec 2005 at 2:41 PM
All the saga of Leisure Suit Larry

And this last time looking back I'll see my home, for she awaits me reaching for my soul. She calls my name, and waves me on. The fallen one, she stands in flames
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 21st Dec 2005 at 11:54 PM
favorite game besides sims-

GTA San Andreas and Vice City
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElPresidente
Just to put your mind at ease Froandpick, Final Fight was an exceptionally popular game in the arcades, most people old enough will have played it if they played games. And you're right, it is a blast.

Heck, I'm 16 and I played it; in an arcade that had what, 50 retro games :laugh: Plus it was remade for Game Boy Advance, so many young people should know it :P

Now now Freelance, you aren't allowed to get anal about the definition of
true' adventure and at the same time call Final Fantasy VIII an RPG! :P

Well it's more of an RPG than some games out there that call themselfs RPGs -__- Like Sudeki... That is NOT an RPG!! RPG's don't have defined places and times where battles will happen!!! :disgust:

Ahem, back on topic:

Final Fantasy IV, VI, VII, IX
Metal Gear Solid
Spiro 2 and Year of the Dragon
GTA: San Andreas
Half Life 2
Caeser III
LOTR: The Return of the King
LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth
Beyond Good and Evil
KOTOR
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
And I must say I enjoyed Freedom Fighters and Magic BattleGrounds

98% of teenagers believe stupid statistics. If you're one of the 2% who doesn't, copy & paste this in your siggy.
Test Subject
#11 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 12:33 AM
let's see:
all-time Favorite game: Legend of Mana. (I know you'll most probably have something to pick at this game, but it was the first Seiken Densetsu I played and I just love those games.)
Favorite PS game: Final Fantasy 7.
Favorite PS2 game: hmm...though choice, FFX-2, Dark Cloud 2, Shadow Hearts: Covenant...the list goes on...
Favoritte GC game: any Mario Party.
Favorite N64 game: Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
Favorite GBA game: Harvest Moon: more friends of Mineral Town, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance(though I hate the main character, you should know why)
Favorite SNES/Super Famicon game: Seiken Densetsu 3, buggy as it may be.

I'm not a big fan of nintendo, anyways *hides from Nintendo fanboys and fangirls* I sold my soul to playstation the second SquareSoft released Final Fantasy VII

Back to Uni, but Back in Bussines!
Field Researcher
#12 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 4:42 AM
I'm sorta sad... Harry Potter Quidditch World Cup... My sister and I are about to beat Japan, are playing for the US...

"Why do we drink cow milk? Who was the guy who first looked at a cow and said 'I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em!'?" -Calvin and Hobbes
The One and Only
#13 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 6:55 AM
Darwinia
Black & White
Wacraft III
Homeworld
Legend of Mana
Sonic Advance (best GBA game ever made and the second best Sonic game ever made)
Shining Force (the original MasterSystem/Genesis version)
NiGHTS into Dreams (hands down, the greatest Saturn game ever)
Evolution: The World of Sacred Device
Evolution 2: Far Off Promise
Test Subject
#14 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 9:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RMarques

Well it's more of an RPG than some games out there that call themselfs RPGs -__- Like Sudeki... That is NOT an RPG!! RPG's don't have defined places and times where battles will happen!!! :disgust:

Meeh I dare say I put FF7 in the adventure games section buuut that's just me. Goodgame though :P

Oh I forgot ICO
and Morrowind
and..... well Dragon Quest VIII is fun :P

There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written.

Oscar Wilde
(1854 - 1900)
retired moderator
#15 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 9:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RMarques

Why not? If RPGs are defined by random battles then a lot of true RPGs such as Ultima VII are ousted from the genre. Obviously that is not the case and it is because the randomness or frequency of battles has nothing to do with the genre definition. It is entirely possible to have an RPG without a single battle. Warren Spector has been harbouring the idea of an RPG set inside a single office building. While it is cross genres, the brilliant Facade experiment easily fits the RPG genre with its: reactive plotline, NPCs that react to not only your interactions with the individual but your interactions with others with whom they have their own interactions. Yet the entire game not only has no combat to speak of (apart from the obvious battle of wits and emotions being fought between the two protagonists), it all takes place within the confines of a small skyrise apartment.

No, Sudeki is not an RPG... neither is Final Fantasy and one is certainly not closer to the genre than the other due to the irrelevance of combat to the genre distinction.

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
The One and Only
#16 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 12:53 PM
This argument could go on forever if people let it, but even in games such as Ultima, you're not truly playing a role because you're limited by the game's programming. Even though the story isn't linear, I still can't decide to go out and whck somebody's head off and sleep with the fair maiden. Because the game won't let me.

A true role-playing game is one that allows you to play any role, do anything within your physical and mental capacity, and truly shape the world around you, not just shape what the programming allows you to shape.

As such, you will never find a TRUE RPG on any computer or gaming console, for one very huge reason: no matter how complicated the programming gets, it will never be able to mimic life at it's most microscopic levels.

I wouldn't even really call D&D a true RPG, but it's close.
Test Subject
#17 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 5:45 PM
Quote:
This argument could go on forever if people let it, but even in games such as Ultima, you're not truly playing a role because you're limited by the game's programming. Even though the story isn't linear, I still can't decide to go out and whck somebody's head off and sleep with the fair maiden. Because the game won't let me.

Try playing fallout :P

Quote:
A true role-playing game is one that allows you to play any role, do anything within your physical and mental capacity, and truly shape the world around you, not just shape what the programming allows you to shape.

They almost had it in morrowind though. :P

Quote:
As such, you will never find a TRUE RPG on any computer or gaming console, for one very huge reason: no matter how complicated the programming gets, it will never be able to mimic life at it's most microscopic levels.

I wouldn't even really call D&D a true RPG, but it's close.

That's true but altleast we know which one is closer. :P

Oscar Wilde
(1854 - 1900)
Fluffy
retired moderator
#18 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 8:32 PM
what's with the hard questions on this forum?
lessee
best RPG (as defined by me :p): Morrowind, though I was inexplicably addicted to Might and Magic 7 (and only 7) for a very long time.
best action: probably Deus Ex 2, Invisible War. I replayed it more times than the first one, at least. It has the story, an attempt at freedom and very good graphics, if you disregard the lip-sync(what lip-sync?). Oh, and 'rpg elements', that's what makes it fun for me.
best adventure Well, it'll be Lucasarts, won't it? I laughed a lot at Guybrush, but the adventure I remember best is Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.
best driving-around-in-fast-stolen-cars-and-shooting-stuff GTA3. It has a better story than the next two and, very importantly, the cuter guy.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 9:22 PM
Why not? If RPGs are defined by random battles then a lot of true RPGs such as Ultima VII are ousted from the genre. Obviously that is not the case and it is because the randomness or frequency of battles has nothing to do with the genre definition. It is entirely possible to have an RPG without a single battle. Warren Spector has been harbouring the idea of an RPG set inside a single office building. While it is cross genres, the brilliant Facade experiment easily fits the RPG genre with its: reactive plotline, NPCs that react to not only your interactions with the individual but your interactions with others with whom they have their own interactions. Yet the entire game not only has no combat to speak of (apart from the obvious battle of wits and emotions being fought between the two protagonists), it all takes place within the confines of a small skyrise apartment.

No, Sudeki is not an RPG... neither is Final Fantasy and one is certainly not closer to the genre than the other due to the irrelevance of combat to the genre distinction.

true, but at least Final Fantasy VIII as more ways to make each game unique than Sudeki... Either by characters name, or they're skills... true neither of them is an RPG, but to me is Final Fantasy VIII is closer to it than Sudeki... but that's just me... plus, I'm not by no means an expert in the genre or videogames in general, so who in the world cares? :P

98% of teenagers believe stupid statistics. If you're one of the 2% who doesn't, copy & paste this in your siggy.
retired moderator
#20 Old 23rd Dec 2005 at 3:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by IndigoAK

Actually you can do that in Ultima VII. :D

Ultima VII's world simulation is one of the deepest I've seen to date. While the game did not expressly provide for this to happen some early emergent gameplay concepts were implimented in this game which meant that when I wanted to raise money to buy my pirate ship I set myself up as a wholesale meat supplier and after a while I made more than enough cash to buy my ship. I then went out and lay claim to a pirate haven, turning it into my own base and kept all my loot and gold there.

The whole "Well it is impossible on current systems" argument is not a particularly good one. It is VERY obvious when a game is trying to simulate a world for you to play in where your decisions shape the way the title plays out and very obvious when it isn't. The reason people make the distinction 'J-RPG' is less to do with the fact it came from Japan and a lot more to do with the gameplay style.

Anyhoo I was exhausted when I wrote the original post and didn't have my "Pres, stop *****ing about the definition of RPG filter on :D"

The One and Only
#21 Old 23rd Dec 2005 at 4:04 AM
That's okay. I just like arguing with you ElPres. It's an enjoyable activity. :P

Hmm, I'll have to try this Ultima VII, but I still feel that in order to be a true role-playing game, by the very defintion of the words, programming will have to become way more advanced.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 23rd Dec 2005 at 3:17 PM
Fine. I say FFVIII is my favourite CONSOLE RPG. I don't know why you guys are all saying it's not, but whatever.

I haven't played any PC RPGs, so I can't give a comment.
#23 Old 24th Dec 2005 at 12:49 AM
I enjoy the GTA series, I have all of them now, even GTALCS on the PSP.
Metal Gear series is good also, but my fav game for the storyline is the Soul Reaver and Legacy Of Kain series which I own all of as well.
retired moderator
#24 Old 24th Dec 2005 at 1:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Freelance Wolf
Fine. I say FFVIII is my favourite CONSOLE RPG. I don't know why you guys are all saying it's not, but whatever.

If you are curious as to the reason there are people like myself who don't consider these games to be RPGs you can find a random collection of comments I've made on the forum of the magazine I write for. Just scroll to the end of this page.

You don't have to agree but in case you were curious as to what the argument is, its all there. Enjoy. :P

Test Subject
#25 Old 24th Dec 2005 at 2:36 AM
If you are curious as to the reason there are people like myself who don't consider these games to be RPGs you can find a random collection of comments I've made on the forum of the magazine I write for. Just scroll to the end of this page.

You don't have to agree but in case you were curious as to what the argument is, its all there. Enjoy. :P

/me pokes Elprez... been ignoring me for a while

Oh and to stay on topic
Oh yeah and Lumines (the only games that's giving me srtange dreams of falling squares)
Oooh almost forgot: Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver... one of the best story lines and voice overs
Uhhm my user name is LoKain :P

No worries then Elprez :P

Oscar Wilde
(1854 - 1900)

Page 1 of 9