Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Apr 2023 at 3:14 AM
Hair Mesh turning into base game hair when linked
Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Ect.

I'm trying my hardest to convert https://anlamveg.tumblr.com/post/17...edit-yanderedev for the sims 4 to the sims 2. I've followed three different tutorials, Social Bunny's , RentedSpace's and Platinumaspiration's video , doing exactly what they said and no matter what, the mesh will not link properly.
I link the mesh and when I go to body shop and check, it turns into the straight hair from the base game. I made sure that I'm linking to the correct ages, and I'm pretty sure I am since YF/AF/EF are the only ages that turn into the base game hair, they don't even take the texture from the saved sims file, it's the texture for the straight hair too.
Needless to say, I'm stumped. I've looked up and down through google trying to find and answer but I haven't found anybody having this specific issue. I've included the packages for the mesh and the saved sim so you can see what I'm working with. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  RAHair4t2.zip (1.03 MB, 2 downloads)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st Apr 2023 at 3:55 AM
Looks like you need to fix the PropertySets - they are only linked to a "hair" group (which would usually be the scalp/head part that takes on the skin texture in most converted hairs), and not a "hairalpha" (which is usually the part with the alpha-enabled hair).

In your file the younger age groups have these references, but the YA/A/E ages don't.

(the group names have to match, so if the mesh name is "hair_alpha" for that group, the references also need to be "hair_alpha". The child references have a different name, but that's usually fine as long as both the PropertySet and mesh match for that age).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Apr 2023 at 3:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Looks like you need to fix the PropertySets - they are only linked to a "hair" group (which would usually be the scalp/head part that takes on the skin texture in most converted hairs), and not a "hairalpha" (which is usually the part with the alpha-enabled hair).

In your file the younger age groups have these references, but the YA/A/E ages don't.

(the group names have to match, so if the mesh name is "hair_alpha" for that group, the references also need to be "hair_alpha". The child references have a different name, but that's usually fine as long as both the PropertySet and mesh match for that age).

Thanks for replying! I've been fiddling with this for the last few days and I've gotten absolutely nowhere.

The hair group names needing to match make sense. So, for my latest attempt, I grabbed the base game mohawk which has two groups hair and hair_alpha3, renamed the group on my mesh to hair_alpha3, and still nothing. It still defaults to the straight black hair.
I've included the updated files below.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  RyobaAishiHair412.zip (1.08 MB, 1 downloads)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th Apr 2023 at 10:51 PM
Just curious - did you do "fix integrity" on the mesh, to give it a new internal name? By the looks of it, only the GMND has gotten the proper Group number, and not the other resources.

A tip when you make the mesh - extract the parts, and make sure you don't click any of the resources (Plugin View should be empty!). Then do "Fix Integrity", give it a new name, click OK, and save the file. Then you can start working on the file.

If you start messing around in the resources before you do "Fix Integrity", there's a chance it could either mess with the CRES, or like here it only seems to fix one of the resources. This mosly seems to be an issue for CAS meshes - not sure why, and it's not always an issue, but it can be very annoying when it happens.

The easiest fix for your mesh file is to just open it up, don't click on anything, and do "Fix integrity" (add something simple to the name). Then you need to re-link the 3DIRs to the mesh.

(If that doesn't do the trick, I honestly don't know what's wrong, because everything else seems fine - the teen and younger ages may need meshes too, though).