Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: Texture tearing!
Fix it!
0 0%
Whatever, man
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jan 2024 at 12:53 AM
Tearing / Boundary seams
Howdy folks. I've been full-on no-lifing CAW for the past month, month and a half maybe, and every now and again come across texture tearing along the seams funtimes. I know it's been reported on and have most of the time been able to work around it by reducing the footprint of certain textures, usually snow, and in one case sand. Or perhaps it's just more noticeable with the lighter textures. Always a compromise in that regard in terms of cutting back snow coverage, etc. So my question for y'all is really more opinion-oriented than anything: how much energy do you devote to correcting issues like this in your world? Is perfectionism necessary, or are some inaccuracies in the texturing/terrain to be expected and forgiven? I generally lean perfectionist in this regard but it makes it difficult when the seams seem to just hop to another location when I change opacity, levels/curves, etc. Attached is a simple example of one of the current tears in my ongoing project.

e: oh god it's horrible when zoomed (2nd attachment)
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th Jan 2024 at 2:06 AM
Curious .... does it show in EIG also? That is something that probably would never be seen in the game when you export and play. TBH it probably would not bother me, but I am interested to hear what others say?
Instructor
#3 Old 8th Jan 2024 at 3:11 AM
I don't think I'd notice this when actually playing the game, but as a creator I'd definitely want to understand what was causing it. Maybe make a backup copy of your world for tinkering with this issue on and continue regular work in the original. That way you can come back to mess with it as much as you want, without it actually impeding the progress you make on your world. And maybe you'll stumble on a method for preventing it!

The EA engine struggles with a lot of visual errors, there is so much colour banding and such already that if I ever noticed this in a world I would assume something like that was to blame more than the world itself and just carry on.
It also varies a lot from user to user depending on settings and graphics cards, it's entirely possible that fault wouldn't actually be visible on other setups.

Scribe of tutorials. Oracle of questions at NRaas. Blog staller at thecardinalsims. Feel free to @ me for input on any TS3/TS4 modding questions.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Jan 2024 at 3:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Curious .... does it show in EIG also? That is something that probably would never be seen in the game when you export and play. TBH it probably would not bother me, but I am interested to hear what others say?

Some do and some don't, I only really bother at all with the ones that are displaying in game of course. Since posting I've tried swapping positions of some layers - the world has a gradient of the redrock from lucky palms so I demo'd with those cliffs atop - and that swapped the seam to a more obvious red. Deleting the snow layer entirely resolves the issue so that's the course I've chosen for the time.

Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
I don't think I'd notice this when actually playing the game, but as a creator I'd definitely want to understand what was causing it. Maybe make a backup copy of your world for tinkering with this issue on and continue regular work in the original. That way you can come back to mess with it as much as you want, without it actually impeding the progress you make on your world. And maybe you'll stumble on a method for preventing it!

The EA engine struggles with a lot of visual errors, there is so much colour banding and such already that if I ever noticed this in a world I would assume something like that was to blame more than the world itself and just carry on.
It also varies a lot from user to user depending on settings and graphics cards, it's entirely possible that fault wouldn't actually be visible on other setups.

Yeah I'm keeping a backup, but for the time being just walking away from permanent snow to defer to world snow from Seasons. The only way I can reliably prevent this is either keeping layer count capped at 4, or just not using a snow layer. I did have some success in portions of the world too using image curves to reduce the snow spread, but it resulted in a look that wasn't even worth it for me personally. And yeah, I am trying to temper my expectations given the age of the game and its engine. I'm forgetting whom to credit/technical term but I've added my graphics card and CPU to the game. But even then, it could be an issue on this setup.

I'm going to continue testing because ideally I'd use more texture slots in this project, a driveway, a dirt path. I think there is something to do with the presence of textures, perhaps past some per-chunk limit, causing that texture's color to appear on that chunk's seams. Just a working theory anyway.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 8th Jan 2024 at 5:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by klaut
I think there is something to do with the presence of textures, perhaps past some per-chunk limit, causing that texture's color to appear on that chunk's seams. Just a working theory anyway.

I do not tend to use a lot of textures in my worlds in one place. I do recall though in a past world I was working on, and the chunk boundaries showed I had used too many where that was the case.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Jan 2024 at 5:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I do not tend to use a lot of textures in my worlds in one place. I do recall though in a past world I was working on, and the chunk boundaries showed I had used too many where that was the case.

Interesting, I would have thought the norm would be to layer and layer; but I guess it's only productive up to a point. For me, I have a multi-gradient transition across the entire world from grass/stone to redrock/redrock, so maybe I've used all my "slots". I'll have to give it a look tomorrow.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 8th Jan 2024 at 8:08 AM
There's a suggested limit of 8 textures per chunk, if you exceed thit then you'll see your chunk boundary is displayed red instead of blue. It's a guideline, something to keep in mind but I don't think it specifically affects this.
I've found success in solving this problem before by deleting and recreating layers of terrain paint, but that will only work if you've painted with the layer box ticked. Also sometimes clearing the game and texture caches, and deleting the _KEY resource can help.
https://modthesims.info/t/578805
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Jan 2024 at 10:25 PM
Whoops! Computer died for a few days. Just finished up getting all these pieces back in place.

@simsample, thank you for those tips, I had seen your advice in other threads before posting this and had tried the cache/_key tricks already, no avail in this scenario. For now I've just sacrificed the extra layers of terrain because the problem seems to go away when kept to a ceiling of 4 textures/chunk. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to increase this to the suggested/(potential?) 8 but it's working for me in the state that it's in - all that's missing is snowy peaks but seasons/world coverage is something I think might be more my taste anyhow.

Thank you all for your endeavors to remedy this, I'm excited to share the project with the community soon!