Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Nov 2023 at 12:36 AM
Default Water & river fences
Hi ! New to the create a world tool I have the project to create a version of London big project, maybe too much... XD

I tried looking on forums and reddit but I have nothing about this technical issues (which isn't maybe not even a glitch) with the water and the river fences from world adventure, the terrain is flatten as much as possible and I thought that this glitch was normal, the same thing happen in "Champs les sims" but is my world its much more problematic visually for me

I read about water plane, do you think this could be useful ?

By the way while I am here, do you think having lots close to the distant terrain is bad ? because I want to do a simplify version of London with the vibe of the city and also a little village with a few building far from the city and two, three houses & manors in the country.
I maybe too ambitious for a first project with CAW, I started 2 days ago and eager to learn more ^^

ps : sorry if you did talk about this on the forum I found nothing about that but maybe I am wrong :s
Screenshots
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Nov 2023 at 3:43 PM
This looks great! If you get those holes in the water surface, save the file and then close it. Then, re-open it and the water plane should be rendered correctly again. Let me know if it doesn't work!
Instructor
#3 Old 22nd Nov 2023 at 9:51 PM
Distant terrain is quite blurry from the stretched texture, as well as low-poly (in proportion to size). It would look very jarring to have players able to approach it with their sims.
That doesn't mean you can't use a similar, higher quality, mesh for set dressing though. You can leave the distant terrain for its intended purpose and use a smaller prop in between it and the real world surface, so that there is a more gradual change between quality. It may require learning a little bit of meshing, if you wanted to chop parts off an existing terrain to reuse, but you may be able to find some existing shells out there.

I think having an ambitious project is good to aim towards, as long as you are careful not to rush You could also consider making smaller prototypes while you are learning, so that you can return to the larger project with more experience and inspiration.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Nov 2023 at 10:31 PM Last edited by JoshiiFox : 23rd Nov 2023 at 2:32 AM.
thanks you so much @simsample & @CardinalSims for the feedback, I will try to do something like this and if I can't (the only thing I did modelised was a really simple table with a tutorial XD) I will resize the city part to have more hills and nature landscape around like in the sims 3 town but I really want to have a good balance between city / country / space for distant terrain.

I want to do a simlish version of London, not like another person did wish was incredible, he did a lot of work, but I found it a bit messi to play around but love the hardwork behind it, so my London will not be a 1:1 scale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sQefeesixY

I'm really passionate about this project, I wanted to start this since a few month but the EIG didn't work at that time, but now it work ! maybe EA did patch EA app for the tool ? :I so happy to get my hands on it ^^
By the way I did, Lower down the bridge in the middle as it takes a lot of space in each side, which break the balance I have in mind, I wanted to do some store and cafe under the bridge by the road, to have this city vibe, walking side by the river but the sims can't walk under it so too bad

For the water it doesn't seems bad in game unless you zoom really hard and re-opening CAW doesn't change anything unfortunately, so I guess I will keep this like this for the moment? sorry for this thread not really interesting.
Also is the forum still alive, as this tool was released a few years ago ? ^^
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Nov 2023 at 2:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JoshiiFox
Hi ! New to the create a world tool I have the project to create a version of London big project, maybe too much... XD ...
I maybe too ambitious for a first project with CAW, I started 2 days ago and eager to learn more ^^

People never like when I say this, but IMO do a smaller world first and get it done and then attempt something like this. From watching worlds being done since CAW released, darn near all huge worlds, and especially done by new CAW people, are never completed. Also, you have to consider if your PC can handle and how many other people can play it if you plan to upload it somewhere? As someone else said, maybe back burner this and work on a less ambitious project, and then come back to it later if you get hooked on CAW, as I am. Baby steps before the marathon? CAW is addictive and I love working in it, but it is something that has a serious learning curve to do well done worlds.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Nov 2023 at 6:16 PM Last edited by JoshiiFox : 23rd Nov 2023 at 8:26 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
People never like when I say this, but IMO do a smaller world first and get it done and then attempt something like this. From watching worlds being done since CAW released, darn near all huge worlds, and especially done by new CAW people, are never completed. Also, you have to consider if your PC can handle and how many other people can play it if you plan to upload it somewhere? As someone else said, maybe back burner this and work on a less ambitious project, and then come back to it later if you get hooked on CAW, as I am. Baby steps before the marathon? CAW is addictive and I love working in it, but it is something that has a serious learning curve to do well done worlds.

Don't worry about this I know I take my time I start the "London project" with the river in mind for the moment as I have smaller project beside this one, like a little a map with a little coast town with an old village and some house and secrets tombs in the nature but the... EIG doesn't work anymore... like a few month, which is really useful I don't see myself working without this... I tried everything I can on the web but nothing and I feel like I have to let everything down... I'm kinda upset because I was doing well and I have a lot of fun using CAW, I really hate EA app for that
Instructor
#7 Old 23rd Nov 2023 at 10:46 PM
It probably goes without saying, but I'd add that not every creative project has to be for public use nor does 100% completion even have to be the goal. Enjoy working on whatever it is you are passionate about working on. It really isn't any of our business whether it gets far off the ground or not.
Overwhelming yourself from the start may be something to be careful about, but introducing the theoretical standards of other players from the start is just as harmful. Experiment, learn, start over, have fun! As long as you enjoy what you are making, no ambition spent is wasted. Even if you get 5% in and move onto something else instead

That aside- the functionality of CAW/EIG is in quite a state of flux recently, I'd give it time if it's misbehaving at the moment. Even if EA somehow breaks it completely, the community is pretty good at coming up with patches and workarounds when that happens. It may just require some patience until the best method is sorted out.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 24th Nov 2023 at 7:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
learn, start over, have fun!

That is totally true! I have started and scrapped maybe 20 worlds. I love working in CAW no matter what. I have about UM 6 I need to get finished and upload somewhere. The whole point is to have fun and in my case I then like playing them.

To the original poster, I sure hope you can figure out what is going on and be up and running again.