Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Dec 2009 at 4:26 PM Last edited by emhpb : 17th Dec 2009 at 12:42 AM. Reason: solved
Default Discoloration with custom meshes retextured with CTU [SOLVED! thank you Base1980!]
Whenever I use one of Liana's custom meshes to make clothes, for TS3 on Delphy's CTU, I get something like this:

(I have more pics, plus I can give you the file if you think that will help)

That oddly-shaped discoloration is definitely not on the texture or bumpmap, and Liana doesn't know how to fix it. I've tried everything I possibly can, and I've concluded that it's either a problem with one of the files I imported, or a CTU problem. If anyone's had this problem before, or knows how to fix it, please let me know!

Oh, and I'm using a mac, so the CTU works like a fish with a bicycle for me, and I have to convert my texture files from dds to png and back again in order to work on them. I dunno if that would change anything.

I'm going to post a comment on the CTU too.
Advertisement
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#2 Old 10th Dec 2009 at 5:14 PM
More pics plus the file would be very helpful - it's hard to tell exactly what that is.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Dec 2009 at 5:29 PM Last edited by emhpb : 10th Dec 2009 at 9:00 PM.
Oh, sorry. Here're more pictures:

Around the seam:

Same as the first one, but in black:

This one's harder to see, because it has an ugly seam, but there are some bright spots that don't appear on the texture:

Also I have no idea where that line came from.

I'll post some files in a couple of hours when I get home, and some better pics, I haven't got any more right now. But basically it's an odd triangular spot that shows up on both sides of the long dresses in both CAS and in game. It's most visible in the first pic. It's not on any other clothing I've seen made with the same mesh.

Thanks for your help and quick reply!

Edit: And here are 2 files with the problem:

http://www.mediafire.com/?tmexy4mq2i3
http://www.mediafire.com/?yl4wy3jnyon

Since the meshes aren't mine, I am obliged to post this link: http://www.lianasims3.net/
;3 Just covering all my bases.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Dec 2009 at 7:49 PM
I updated my post with links to files, just wanted to make sure you know. ;3
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 11th Dec 2009 at 10:48 PM Last edited by Base1980 : 11th Dec 2009 at 11:22 PM.
I do not understand why she released a mesh like this?
It heavily deformes in my game, there are no correct morphs made for it.
Or linked wrong

The textures are messed up and linked wrong....
I Loaded the original textures for it in CTU and they display perfect.(afBodyDressLayered_sleeveless)

The clothing ambient and the overlay texturefile are linked wrong or are loaded with the wrong textures.
Open a second version of CTU, compare the files and fix the links.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Dec 2009 at 11:03 PM Last edited by emhpb : 11th Dec 2009 at 11:17 PM.
Um... It looks fine in-game for me, except for the discolorations. Maybe it's mediafire? Should I try and upload it as a sims3pack?

I'll try downloading it and see if it downloads wrong. ;/

Edit: I lied. There's no fat morph in the version I downloaded. I'm going to check the version I made, because I was an idiot and didn't check that before, but I suspect it's something I did wrong. T^T

The textures look fine though... they're crappy textures, but I linked them right.

How to I fix the morph problem? It's not Liana's fault, because the other cc I have made with her meshes have fat morphs, but they were probably made with TSRW, which I can't use. Where in CTU do I fix this?
Sockpuppet
#7 Old 11th Dec 2009 at 11:34 PM
i suspect you edited her package wich made it somehow corrupt.?
I do not know how to clone her package as that is wat you need to do in order to make a recolor.
You can make recolor by adding a new design in her package but that way you can not share your creation(upload it)
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Dec 2009 at 11:40 PM
Um, no, I emailed her and she sent me CTU files for all her meshes, which included lods and something with the extension .bmp which I couldn't find where to put. ;/ I suspect that's what I'm missing, but I looked everywhere in CTU and I couldn't find a place for it.

Her meshes are posted on her site for creators to use, but they're all in .obj format for TSRW, with a note to email her for the simgeom files, which is what I did.

Edit: When I said "all of the other cc I have made whith her meshes" i meant "all the other cc I have SEEN made with her meshes"
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 12th Dec 2009 at 12:19 AM
So you can use her files?
The lod1 and lod1_1 geom is the higdetail mesh while the lod2 is the lower detail mesh.
If you have those files you can make a new package, based on the afBodyDressLayered_sleeveless.(wich she used)
You clone that outfit and attache the 4 lod files to it, then change the 3 texture files.
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Dec 2009 at 12:25 AM
Yes, like I said, the meshes are available on her website for anyone to use, as long as they link back.

That's what I did. ;/ I wonder if I didn't upload them in order or something, I recently read that you have to do that. Or I didn't start with the right maxis mesh. I'll put the whole thing back together from scratch, and see if that works.

Thanks for your help!
Sockpuppet
#11 Old 12th Dec 2009 at 12:36 AM Last edited by Base1980 : 16th Dec 2009 at 11:54 PM.
I quickly made the package, extracted the meshes from her package.
There is a lod1 and a lod1_1 file/ a lod2 file and a lod3 file and i loaded the 3 necesarry texture files in it.(base/specular and the mask)
I noticed you loaded identical textures in both base and specular.
The specular is a lightning file and doesn't have a alpha.

Should work now.
Feel free to do watever you like with it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 12th Dec 2009 at 12:51 AM
Thank you so much! Unfortunately, I cannot test it, as I am on a crappy computer. ;/

& Yeah, I did, out of confusion and pure laziness. I know one of them is supposed to be different, but it was mcuh easier to use one file, as I have to make about 20 changes for each retexture. (well, not with that one in particular, I made it earlier) Would that be the cause of the discoloration?

Out of curiosity, did you try the second file? (the blue and white dress) I've actually shared that one, and have taken it down for now, because I don't know what's going on with the morphs. Also, if the second file has a working morph, that still doesn't help me with the discoloration.

Thanks again! So glad to know I don't have to add more mesh files. ;x

(btw- there are seams on those dresses not because I don't know how to get rid of seams, but because the edges of the mesh textures don't correlate with the textures they were cloned from, if that makes sense)
Sockpuppet
#13 Old 12th Dec 2009 at 2:00 AM
well, if you linked the meshes wrong it would still work.
If i were you i would try to clone a basegamedress, extract the meshes and then relink those same meshes back to the outfit and save it as a new one.
Load you textures in it and see how it looks ingame.
If you still have the same issue's it might be your Mac causing it.....
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 12th Dec 2009 at 2:04 AM Last edited by emhpb : 12th Dec 2009 at 2:32 AM.
All of my other custom mesh creations have working morphs. ;/ I'mma try what you said, and see if it works. I'm hoping the problem is with the Mac version of CTU, and not my computer. Dx

Edit: The Maxis mesh with the replaced lods looks fine in game. ;/
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th Dec 2009 at 5:08 PM
I still need help on this. Or do you think it's completely a problem with the mesh, and not the CTU/me at all?
Sockpuppet
#16 Old 16th Dec 2009 at 8:17 PM
if i got some time left ill make the package and let you test it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 16th Dec 2009 at 9:51 PM
I actually tested the one you made before. Still the same problems, which leads me to believe it's not a problem limited to me.
Sockpuppet
#18 Old 16th Dec 2009 at 11:47 PM Last edited by Base1980 : 17th Dec 2009 at 12:00 AM.
Fixed,
The problem was the TGI reference(wich is in GEOM file, the mesh) to the normalmap(bumpmaptexture).
Liana made up a new instance ID(to avoid the original normalmap) for it but forgot to include a new texture file.
Here is a fixed package with a neutral bumpmap texture included.

She prolly did the same thing for other outfits.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  emhpb_LianadressGoth.rar (717.9 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 12:40 AM
Oh my god! Thank you! T^T Would you mind doing it for some of her other meshes if I send you packages? It's okay if you don't want to, but it would help me so much. ^_^

Or could you tell me how to fix it? Although I expect you need programs that don't work on Mac...

Anyways, I'll let Liana know that's the problem, and maybe she'll fix it for me. That's probably better than troubling you. ;3

Again, thanks so much! T^T I thought I would never solve that problem.
Sockpuppet
#20 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 1:43 AM
I am not sure if either Postal or S3PE runs or a Mac?
I used Postal to add a DDS file, a blanc normalmap texture file.

But, altho i never used it CTU also has a option to load a custom normalmap.
So when you are attaching Liana's meshes to the outfit(the linking in CTU boxes) you also can select a custom normal/bumpmap file in the bottom box.
Link it to the texture i provided or export one from another outfit(must be blanc tho!!!)
Mine comes from the ''afShoesAnkleBLowHeelPointy00_slideMuleLeather'' outfit, a pair of shoes.

I have no time to fix them all, srry
Glad i could help but you should remove my name from the thread title
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 1:48 AM
Oooh! OH! That's my fault! If it's the bumpmap that is! Because I just upload a black square for the bumpmap. Wait... but that's what you did right? Or does it have to be another color? Liana's CTU meshes don't come with a bumpmap so I wasn't sure what to put there.

And I'm pretty sure neither of those programs run on mac. I know Postal doesn't, I've tried it.
Sockpuppet
#22 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 2:18 AM
Well, you cant view the normal map files within CTU, they all look like black texture files.
But if you add the example(shoes) i gave you all will be fine.
Instructor
Original Poster
#23 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 2:20 AM
Okay, how do I get it out? Do I just export the mesh files?
Instructor
Original Poster
#24 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 2:36 AM
I got it out, but when I stuck it on the mesh, It deleted all of my textures for that package. ;/ (this is a different package) I guess I'll start fresh and import all of the mesh at once.
Sockpuppet
#25 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 3:02 AM
textures you always can do last, first attache the meshes and normalmap.
Page 1 of 2