Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Chapter 5 - Changing For The Better?
Back to: Chapter 4 - A Change of Heart Next: Chapter 5 - Part 2

“Are you completely insane?” I cried. “We’ve only known each other a few weeks, and all of a sudden you want to move in?”

“Yes! Look, I know this seems sudden, but it just feels right to me. Don’t you agree?”

“I don’t know, Malcolm. This is a big decision for me, I need to think. I’ll call you, okay?”

“Oh, ok. Yeah, that’s fine. I’ll speak to you later.” Malcolm wandered off down the road, looking dejected. For a moment I wondered where he was going, because his house was in the other direction, but I guessed he was going into work.

After mooching around the house all day, I decided I needed to talk to someone.

“Hey, Claudia, it’s Beth. I was wondering if I could come over later? I kind of need to talk.”

“Sure you can, honey! Is everything ok? You sound really upset.”

“I’m ok, just a little confused. I’ll explain everything when I get there.”

As I walked up Claudia’s drive, an elderly woman rushed out of the front door to greet me.

“Hello, darling, you must be Beth! Claudia’s told me so much about you! I’m Patricia, Claudia’s mother. I’d love to introduce you to my husband, but I’m afraid he’s working at the moment.”

“It’s lovely to meet you, Patricia,” I smiled, though I thought to myself, who works at nine in the evening?

Claudia must have seen me talking to her mother, because before I could even get to the door to ring the bell, she came running outside and gave me a huge hug.

“Hey Beth, how are you?”

“Having difficulty breathing!” I replied, laughing.

“Sorry!” She released me from her bear hug. “You just sounded so down on the phone. Come in, I’ll just put Jamie to bed and we can have a proper chat.”

“This is Jamie.” She scooped up a beautiful little boy from the floor. He was seriously cute, with his mummy’s pale skin and dark hair.

“I’ll just take him up and get him settled, make yourself at home in the kitchen and I’ll be down in a few.”

As I walked through the house into the kitchen, I couldn’t help but notice all the expensive statues and strange looking gadgets dotted around the house, and wondered just what it was Claude’s dad did.

“So,” she said, settling down across the table from me, “What’s the matter?”

“It’s Malcolm. He wants to move in with me.”

“Wow, that’s great!” she cried, until she saw the look on my face. “Isn’t it?”

“I don’t know. I mean, I’ve never lived with a guy before, I don’t even know if I’m ready for that sort of relationship. Don’t you think it’s a bit soon?” I asked. “We’ve only been seeing each other a weeks!”

“That’s true, honey, but… well I’ve lived here for a few years and Malcolm’s been with quite a few girls, and you’re the only one he’s been with for more than a week!”

“Telling me he’s been around isn’t helping, Claude!”

“What I mean is, in the time I’ve known him, Malcolm’s never lived with ANYONE. Ever. So if he wants to live with you… well, I’d guess that was pretty serious.”

“Never? I guess he could be serious then… I just don’t know. Do you think I should do this?”

“Beth, it’s not my decision! You have to follow your heart.”

“Claude! Help me! Hypothetically, what would you do?”

“For goodness sake. Ok, fine, fine... All I’m going to say is, after Jamie’s dad died, it made me realise that you don’t get second chances in life. Sometimes, if the feelings right, you know when you have to take a risk. And, if it feels wrong, then you know that you have to hurt someone.”

“You’re right, Claude. I know you are. It’s just gonna be so hard.”

“Ok hun, call me if you need me.”

“Thanks Claudia. See you soon!”

As I left Claudia’s house, I met Patricia in the hall.

“Going home, dear?” she asked.

“Yes, I have something to do I’m afraid. I though Claudia put Jamie to bed?”

“Oh, he can’t sleep without a cuddle from his Nana!” she replied, jiggling the yawning toddler on her knee.

Poor Claudia, I thought. She can’t even look after her own baby without her parents interfering.

“Well, goodnight Patricia.”

“Night, dear.”

I couldn’t help but break into a run as I left Claudia’s house. I knew exactly what I had to do, now I just had to find the courage to do it.

Click Next: Chapter 5 - Part 2 to continue...

Back to: Chapter 4 - A Change of Heart Next: Chapter 5 - Part 2

Click here to view comments, or to add your own.